Start by marking “The First Lie (Necessary Lies, #0,5)” as Want to Read:
The First Lie (Necessary Lies, #0,5)

The First Lie

(Necessary Lies #0.5)

The First Lie gives readers an early glimpse into the life of thirteen-year-old Ivy Hart. It’s 1958 in rural North Carolina, where Ivy lives with her grandmother and sister on a tobacco farm. As tenant farmers, Ivy and her family don’t have much freedom, though she and her best friend, Henry, often sneak away in search of adventure…and their truest selves. But life on the ...more
Published June 4th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The First Lie, please sign up.
Kamilla The book is called Necessary Lies this is a short story prequel only.

Start your review of The First Lie (Necessary Lies, #0,5)
Deanna
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the short (39 pages) prequel to the authors novel Necessary Lies.

It introduces us to a few of the characters from the upcoming novel.

It's 1958 in rural North Carolina where thirteen-year-old Ivy Hart lives with her grandmother and sister on a small tobacco farm. We learn more about Ivy and her sister, Mary Ella and their lives on the farm.

We find out more about the Hart family, their past and how they relate to each other. We are given an indication of the secrets that will be reveale
Bionic Jean
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Bionic Jean by: Deanna
The First Lie is a short story by the American author Diane Chamberlain, written as a prequel to her novel "Necessary Lies", although the author states that they may be read independently. Both works were published in 2013.

This short story is set in 1958, two years before the novel. The reader follows the events in Ivy Hart's life, when she is 13 years old. Ivy lives with her grandmother and sister on a tobacco farm in rural North Carolina. They are very poor and live extremely restricted lives.
Sharon
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen year old Ivy Hart and her fifteen year old sister Mary Ella live with their grandmother Nonnie on a tobacco farm in North Carolina. Their father died in a tractor accident and their mother has been institutionalised for many years in a mental facility.

Ivy quite often sneaks out at night to spend time with her friend Henry as they like to hang out together. One night they decide to spend some time at the local church here they find a ouija board and start playing around with it. Ivy retu
Susan
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is only 35 pages but it sure pulled me in and I'm going straight to Necessary Lies! It's going to be a real page turner!
Lynda
Diane Chamberlain is the bestselling author of 21 novels published in more than 11 languages. She lives in North Carolina with her partner, photographer John Pagliuca.

I've never read a Chamberlain story before, but as a Jodi Picoult fan, Chamberlain was recommended to me by friends who believe she is WAY better. The First Lie did not convince me of this.

The First Lie is an e-short story. It was written with the sole purpose of setting the scene and characters for her new novel Necessary Lies, wh
Judy D Collins
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-releases
The First Lie a novella, short-story as a prequel to the upcoming, riveting, haunting, and absorbing NECESSARY LIES, offers readers a glimpse into the early life of thirteen-year-old, Ivy Hart.

It is 1958 in the rural deep south of North Carolina, where we meet the Hart family. A poor teenage girl, Ivy currently living with her elderly grandmother, and older sister on a tobacco farm.

Having read NECESSARY LIES first, it was nice to go back to revisit and learn more about the early days of Mar
Diane S ☔
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just a preview for her upcoming novel Necessary Lies, and based on this it looks like it is going to be full of suspense, secrets and mystery. Churches and spirits and a wonderful character in a young girl named Ivy and her sister Mary Ellen, who is slow but at fifteen has just had a baby. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.
Christa
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
This novella is a good indication of why Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors. It is rare that such a short story can so completely capture my attention and then leave me feeling entirely satisfied with what I read. I loved the character of Ivy, and enjoyed the glimpse into her life and family. The storyline was very engrossing, and I am anxious to read Necessary Lies to find out how it connects to The First Lie.

Thirteen year old Ivy lives in a tenant farmer's cottage on a tobacco far
Julie
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, netgalley
This is a short story, about 35 pages long, written by Diane Chamberlain and published by St. Martin's Press.
In Grace County, North Carolina in the late 1950's, Ivy at the age of 13 lives with her grandmother and older sister, Mary Ella in tenement house.
Mary Ella is pregnant and in labor when Ivy returns home after a night out with her friend. She and Henry had gotten their hands on a Ouija board and had been visited by a spirit. Now, Ivy is trying to get her sister some help having her baby a
Rebecca
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 00-own-a-copy
In this prequel to Necessary Lies, 15 yo girl (Mary Ella) births a son (William). ...more
Jo Ann
This was good! Why did I wait so long to read something from this author? I’m always the last one to the party it seems. Probably because I keep telling myself I don't care for these kinds of stories when in fact I do. That's one of the nice things about Goodreads it encourages you to try new authors. Now, I'm off to find out what happened to Ivy and Mary Ella, and their Grandmother.
Necessary Lies here I come!
Sofia Lazaridou
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I dont know what happened with the book. It is short so no character development for you future reader of the book. Maybe there might be a tiny exception in the end but I am not sure. I think I have realised what the title means but if its not that than there is the case of the title being unrelated to the books contain. I am intrigued since this is an intro to a story and I am looking forward to reading the next book because I have questions that need to be answered.
☺Trish
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This engrossing short story, a prequel to Chamberlain's novel Necessary Lies, makes me so glad that I am going to start reading the book tonight! The scene in the church in the middle of the night when Ivy and Henry are attempting to contact the spirits using a "borrowed" Quija board is really spooky! The First Lie is a very entertaining and effective introduction to thirteen-year-old Ivy, her best friend Henry, her paternal grandmother Nonnie, and her sister Mary Ella, etc. Excellent!
Carol
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This very good short e-story (with a ghost) is the prequel to Diane Chamberlain's new book Necessary Lies. I'm hooked! ...more
Nicole
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short introduction to Necessary Lies! It helped having a little more background on the family and experiencing a pivotal day that we had only bits and pieces of in the full novel. Great short story!
Desiree Gobble
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short story prequel to my favorite Diane Chamberlain book Necessary Lies 😊
Kelley
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-e-books
It's hard to rate a short story, but I do know this is the prequel that leads up to Necessary Lies, so I am ready to go on that one now.
Zainab Cader
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I enjoy the fast paced writing and different background
Debbie Allain
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short introduction to the next book, Necessary Lies
Carole
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I went into this novella thinking it would be another unnecessary introduction to a novel as novellas have been a trend recently. I was pleasantly surprised by how well written and compelling The First Lie was! With Diane Chamberlain as the author, I shouldn't have been surprised. She always turns out quality writing that hooks me in immediately.

I actually read this novella after having read Necessary Lies a few years ago and I really enjoyed getting more of the backstory and being able to
Vanessa Mozayani
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This hooked me, can’t wait to read Necessary Lies to find out what happened to Ivy, William and Mary Ella.
Melanie Cannon
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novella is a prequel to Necessary Lies. While it is short it packs a big punch and I couldn’t put it down. From finding out more about the spirit named Ruby and what comes from the lies told about an appendectomy, and finally the mystery of who is William’s father. Can’t wait to read what happens next. I really love reading books by Diane Chamberlain.
Gina
Goodreads Description- The First Lie gives readers an early glimpse into the life of thirteen-year-old Ivy Hart. It’s 1958 in rural North Carolina, where Ivy lives with her grandmother and sister on a tobacco farm. As tenant farmers, Ivy and her family don’t have much freedom, though she and her best friend, Henry, often sneak away in search of adventure…and their truest selves. But life on the farm takes a turn when Ivy’s teenage sister gives birth—all the while maintaining her silence about th ...more
Laura P
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The First Lie is a short story prequel to Diane Chamberlain’s upcoming novel Necessary Lies. In The First Lie we are briefly introduced to thirteen-year-old Ivy Hart’s world. Even though the short story is just that, short, the world that Chamberlain is able to create is vivid, round and extremely compelling. In just a few pages the reader learns a great deal about the Hart family dynamic through allusions to the many secrets that could potentially be revealed in Necessary Lies, as well as throu ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
After spending the night playing with an oujia board in a church graveyard,, thirtren-year-old Ivy Hart arrives home at 4:00AM to hear her fifteen-year-old sister Mary Ella screaming with labor pains. Rather than calling the nurse, their grandmother instructs Ivy to call their social worker, who says Mary Ella has to go to the hospital to get her "appendix out" after giving birth.

Diane Chamberlain has created a wonderful, unique voice in Ivy, a poor girl growing up half a century ago. She captur
TamElaine
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
This is a short story, leading up to Diane's new release in September. Having read most of Diane's books, I knew there would be a twist or two and I couldn't wait to see how she would do this in just 35 pages....the reveal is subtle but powerful !

This e-book included the first chapter of her next book, Necessary Lies, and I love how it hints at discovering more of what we learned in this short story....
Kathy
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The First Lie – a teaser, a tantilizer, the short prequel to Diane Chamberlain’s newest novel coming out now Necessary Lies……Loved 'The First Lie' from the first page as we are introduced to Ivy and her family which I am assuming sets the scene for us ready for the new novel. Compelling, loved the characters and made me hungry for more. Luckily, Necessary Lies is now out and I could start reading it immediately. I am a huge Diane Chamberlain fan and was super excited by the novella and now Neces ...more
Debra Jauss
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
This is a prequel to Necessary Lies. However, I don't believe it's written in such a way that you should actually read it first. Read Necessary Lies first and when you want another dose of the characters, read this. This short story just pissed me off about the whole book again! How dare someone make that sort of decision for someone else!!! I fully support help to make that decision if you want it, even today. We should help people that want the procedure done and can't afford it. But to take a ...more
Sthomas
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a short prequel to Necessary Lies. I decided to read it even though I read Necessary Lies first, and I was glad I did. It gives more background to some pivotal events that happen two years before Necessary Lies.
Jayne Burnett
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
brilliant preview to the author s new book - Necessary Lies. we meet Ivy & her sister Mary Ellen. makes you want to have the whole story to read right now. ...more

• The Caper (Fox and O'Hare, #0.6)
  • Conclave (Devil's Night, #3.5)
  • Necessary Lies: A Novel by Diane Chamberlain | Conversation Starters
  • Lies that Bind: Unraveling the Secrets of a Dysfunctional Family
  • Zenith Man (Inheritance collection)
  • Silent Sister: A Novel By Diane Chamberlain (Trivia-On-Books)
  • Fatal Accusation (Fatal, #15)
  • The Missing Husband
  • True to Me (By the Sea)
  • Big Lies in Small Town
  • Janis: Her Life and Music
  • Playing the Game
  • Against All Odds
  • Stranger in the Lake
  • Avoiding Temptation (A Bro Code Standalone)
  • The Girl I Used To Be: a must read psychological thriller
  • I Know Your Secret
  • Her Own Rules
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and (London) Sunday Times best-selling author of 27 novels. The daughter of a school principal who supplied her with a new book almost daily, Diane quickly learned the emotional power of story. Although she wrote many small “books” as a child, she didn’t seriously turn to writing fiction until her early thirties when she was waiting for a delayed ...more

Necessary Lies (1 books)
  • Necessary Lies (Necessary Lies, #1)