Start by marking “Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)

Praying For Rain

(The Lotus Wars 0.5)

Praying For Rain is a free-to-read pdf short story, a prequel to Jay Kristoff's The Lotus War series, which tells the tale of Miho and the city of Kigen.
ebook, PDF, 19 pages
Published February 6th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Praying For Rain, please sign up.
Kaitlynn Have you tried Googling it? I found pdf copies in about 30 seconds.

Armina
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

4 STARS

Alrighty, then! Jay Kristoff does not believe in happy endings. I get it now! What is it with male authors I read lately who love to brake your heart at the end of their stories?(Pierce Brown, I'm looking right at ya!) Am I drawn subconsciously to such endings? Hmp ...

Praying for Rain is the story of Miho who meets Rei, the boy with a voice, "soft and edged with a smile, as if he has just finished laughing." And they fall in love. Young and beautiful love.

Miho can listen to the thoug
Nikki
Praying for Rain is a poetic and lovely short story set in the Stormdancer world. I’m not going to talk about the plot at all, because I’m too distracted by how much I love the way Jay Kristoff writes. I feel like he might be my author-soul mate. I know, I’m a total dork. He just paints such a brutally honest but beautiful picture every time. I can’t resist bringing up the fact that the title reminds me of one of my favorite Cure songs from the album Disintegration (as a Cure fan I'm required to ...more
Ron
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, short
A decent prequel to the Stormdancer/Lotus Wars stories. It eventually gives the reader a sense of the time and place, but starts so slowly that, had I not been predisposed to stick with it, I would have quit.

Note to authors: These freebees backfire if they turn potential readers off.
Molly
Almost gave up at the very beginning, after reading:

"The boy pushes his goggles up onto his brow to rub at his eyes, and I see the whites are scrawled with red like a
lotus addict’s, black grease congealing under broken fingernails. But there is something in the line
of his jaw, the high cheekbones and strong hands that sets butterflies tumbling across my stomach
without quite knowing why, and I feel myself staring as I try to find my voice."

I tought....just what I need, another TSTL heroine, ano
Shambhawi P.
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is pure mindfuckery. My need for Kinslayer has not been quelled!

Curse you, Jay Kristoff!
Amelie
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The storyline at the beginning was a little unclear but, like all of Jay's work, it got easier to understand as it went on. As always, I love this and everything he writes, he makes sound so beautiful and poetic. I cried.
Courtney Nicole
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5
Such a sad little novella
Liz* Fashionably Late
Beautiful story. The writing is so good. The ending is heartbreaking.

"He makes me real. He makes me laugh. And when I am near him, he lifts the weight from my chest and makes me feel bright and unafraid, like I did when I was a child and the world was still a mystery to me."

"I find myself praying for rain. For a storm so dark and fierce it flushes all of us away. "

I freaking love this giant. He.Is.Awesome.
Can't wait for Kinslayer.
Braiden
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So I had to create a thingy so that way I could add it to my goodreads challenge haha!

But...

You look at Jay then read his words and cannot believe that someone like him can write magnificence like what you'd find in Stormdancer or Praying For Rain.

This does not suppress my impatience for Kinslayer though.
Sonny Miller
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Praying For Rain is a short story that is a good start for anyone that hasn't read Mr. Kristoff's debut Stormdancer (The Lotus War # 1). The story itself is only about 20 pages long, but gives the reader an idea of how the residents of Kigen think. This is recommended for anyone who hasn't read Jay Kristoff and those who enjoyed Stormdancer, like me.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved this dark and damaged world that Kristoff has created and I definitely want to learn more.
This prequel did exactly what it is suppose to do, whet our appetite and leave us longing for more.
Jamie Coudeville
Well, that was depressing. Really hope we run into that guy again and that something truly awful happens to him.
Ashley
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
That was fucked up . . . and also a little too much tell, not show. Kristoff is better in long form.
Louisa
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a great short story, but it was like, we knew that things were going to go bad, so yeah, sad ending!
Desiree
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This just made me want a time machine even more! If I had a time machine I would totally go to September 17 and buy Kinslayer!
Santino Hassell
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome hook.
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
M'kay my heart has broken in a mere several pages, leave it to Kristoff to do that. Bravo.

Can't wait for Kinslayer now.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Damn you, Kristoff.
Janelle Dazzlepants
Praying For Rain is a beeeeeeautiful novella set prior to the events of Stormdancer, about a blossoming romance between a girl with the Kenning ability and a boy who’s set to join the Guild.

It’s amazing how Jay Kristoff was able to say so much with so few words. His writing was so poetic and invoked so much emotion that I actually cried on the train - which is no easy feat! You know from the outset that this romance may not end well, but that doesn’t make it any less heartbreaking; I actually f
Sara Jovanovic
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5
axel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1, Stormdancer ★★★★ and 1/2

the short story starts with Miho, a girl gifted with the kenning falling in love with a boy working in the refinery.

other than the story of Miho, it paints the perfect picture of this dying city, where people are being blind to the destruction they cause, that the animals are dying out, the sky became red like blood, that these people they hunt and execute aren't doing any harm, that the pointless war is never going to end. it gives a good glimpse of this dark, greasy
Joti
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas, 4-star

My god I missed this world so much!! I loved jumping back into it, even for such a brief time. I had forgotten how beautiful and compelling Jay’s writing was!

This is a very short story, so there’s not much to it. But Jay still found a way to pull on my heartstrings. Even though I pretty much knew how it was going to end, I still enjoyed it and it still sucked to see it end!

The subject of the Kenning is a very fascinating subject of this series for me. I think it’s awesome, and it totally sucks
Mish
May 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Languid, strangely formal and characters totally devoid of personality. Nothing new here people - 'Praying for Rain' reminds me of every other story I've picked up that takes an Asian setting, garnished with glaring details of rice cakes and lotuses, and dumps a heroine with a secret into it - which is not to say that I find it disrespectful but it's so unimaginative. As a prequel, the series probably has heaps of room to improve - though it would have rocked to see Miho in some future predictio ...more
Emma
"It's very pretty down here," he nods.
But it isn't. Kigen Bay is an open sore, weeping black and scummed with fuel sludge. Guildsmen set the surface ablaze yesterday to burn off some of the accumulated pollutants, and smoke rolls thick off the surface, daubing my skin with ash. I wonder for a moment if the boy is blind. Or mad. And then I realise he's trying to be pleasant.
"I suppose so," I say.

Oh how I love walking the filthy streets of Kigen City. I really, really do. This world is one of my
Robin & Fo
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
"I can only hear the gulls.
And they are crying."

Yet another beautiful written story by Jay Kristoff.
It's quite short, but still so sad and heartbreaking.

For the people who've read Stormdancer, you can read the story for free:

Keertana
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
You give Jay Kristoff a few sheets of paper and he rips your heart out.

Praying for Rain has little to do with the plot of Stormdancer itself, but it does shed light on the fear that those who are Impure live with. Although it isn't necessary for fans of Stormdancer, it's a quick read and broadens our understanding of the intricate world Kristoff has built. It's short, but it shatters your heart. I really just want Kinslayer now.
Rayne
You are a horrible person, Mr. Kristoff! And I can't believe how much I love you as an author for it. I never thought of myself as a masochist, but The Lotus Wars series is really convincing me otherwise. Totally worth it, though.
Beautiful writing, as can be expected. Absolutely heart-wrenching, that too should be expected.
Fantastic short story. Perfect glimpse of the world of Stormdancer for people still trying to decide if they should read it, which they should!
  • Burnt Sugar (Firebug, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Tiger Lily
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Spirits of the Noh (The Waking, #2)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Midori by Moonlight
  • Fireflies
  • Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • Maia and Icarus
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Disciple of the Wind (Fated Blades, #3)
  • Gaijin
  • Summerfall (Winterspell, #0.5)
Jay Kristoff is the #1 international, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of THE NEVERNIGHT CHRONICLE, THE ILLUMINAE FILES and THE LOTUS WAR. He is the winner of five Aurealis Awards, an ABIA, has over half a million books in print and is published in over thirty five countries, most of which he has never visited. He is as surprised about all of this as you are. He is 6’7 and has appro ...more

The Lotus Wars (3 books)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus Wars, #3)