Start by marking “Dead Stars - Part One (Emaneska #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Stars - Part One (Emaneska #3)

Dead Stars - Part One

(Emaneska #3)

The sky is falling.
The world trembles beneath it.
Emaneska is crying out for a saviour.

Somebody is hunting down the Written mages in the wilds. Murdering and skinning them alive. Who? A mere girl. A girl who was born to rip the stars from the sky and bring them crashing down to earth. The direst enemy Emaneska has ever faced.

In the wake of the Battle of Krauslung, the
Paperback, First Edition, 482 pages
Published May 31st 2013 by BenGalley.com

To ask other readers questions about Dead Stars - Part One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Stars - Part One

Start your review of Dead Stars - Part One (Emaneska #3)
Damien Black
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hels
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of this book. Having really enjoyed The Written & Pale Kings I was looking forward to reading this one. Ben is a master story teller, his descriptive language really brings the book to life. His characters are believable & the storyline exciting, once I started I just couldn't put it down. (Most of it was read in my breaks at work on my iPhone, such was my enthusiasm to keep reading). A truly brilliant book!
Connie
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous, I've loved every page of this epic fantasy, though there have been times where I've wanted to reach into the page and give Farden a bloody good shake. Anyway must go got to start Dead Stars part two.
Mieneke
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
Dead Stars is the concluding novel to Ben Galley's Emaneska series. The book is so big; Ben has released it in two volumes, the first of which I'll review today. Discussing this book will unavoidably provide spoilers for books one and two, The Written and Pale Kings respectively. If you want to remain unspoiled for the prior books, please click away or skip to the last paragraph of this review.

Ben Galley is one of the two self-pubbed authors I've reviewed on the blog and as such is somewhat of a
Mrs.H.
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely amazing series - loved it. Unusual fantasy - would highly recommend.
Martin Belcher
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Another brilliant book by Ben Galley the third in the very original "Emaneska" series, Dead Stars part one continues the story where Pale Kings ended. Fifteen years later the great city of Krauslung has been rebuilt after the disastrous battle. Tyrfing, Farden's uncle and the blind vampyre Durnus are the new twin Arkmages and Modren is undermage but all is not well.... Farden has disappeared and worse still someone is tracking down and killing the written one by one.. Can Farden's powerful ...more
Mary Beth
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome follow-up to The Written and Pale Kings! I'm immediately starting Dead Stars Part 2 as I just can't wait. I have really enjoyed this series tremendously. Ben has huge talent and a brilliant future ahead of him.
Victor
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like a fine wine (although I don't actually drink much wine) this series is getting better and better. This book gives us an insight into the lives of many of the main characters following on from the aftermath of what happened at the end of the second book culminating in an epic final battle. I really enjoyed this instalment and look forward to moving onto the fourth and final book to see how it all ends.
Paul Nelson
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books-read
After the epic conclusion of Pale kings, we initially join the story nine years later with the return of Lilleth the seer and Samara, Farden's Daughter. Lilleth was entrusted by Vice, to bring up Samara, fill her head with lies and hatred, to bring to fruition the evil plans of Vice.
Samara is nine years old and has been slowly but surely brainwashed, poisoned against those who could possibly have any feelings for her and the truth kept as far from her as possible.
They keep a low profile,
Mitchell
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book continues the story of Farden, the anti-hero mage. It's actually quite a heart-wrenching book as it deals with the emotional aftermath of Farden seeing the woman he loves die and his daughter escape, potentially to fulfill the dark prophesy surrounding her birth. Farden, in this book, reminded me a lot of Don Draper from Mad Men: he is amazingly skilled when he is properly engaged, and we can't help liking him and rooting for him despite his bad choices and self-destructive tendencies. ...more
James
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is so much better than Galley's last two books. The difference is stunning, but it's obvious that it's still the same author. He just worked hard and improved significantly.

I was a little tired of the characters from the previous two books, but I think if the previous two had been written with the quality of this one it would not have been the case. When Galley is done with these characters and does a new story altogether, his improved writing will serve him very well. He has earned a spot
Bev
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the third book in the series but I get the feeling that is should have been book 2 or another series altogether.

I enjoyed book 2 but the beginning of book 3 was a step back. Farden was back to being a druggy and whining and feeling sorry for himself. Time has moved on and fifteen years have passed but farden has not aged due to his Scalussen armour. The drug Nevermar has coooked his memories and he is a part time assassin. Then his half daemon daughter appears and farden is dragged back
CF
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Fantastic. The best of this compelling series so far.

Set about fifteen years after the last book. A mysterious girl has appeared, and she is targeting Written all across the land, once they encounter her they don't get far. Why is this happening?

Meanwhile Farden has become surly, complacent and sold his soul to the man. However when a real threat comes along can be be convinced to help? Or is he too wrapped up in his own problems?

The characters in this are so two sided, no one is inherently
Lou
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Ben Galley and his work around a year or so ago and was immediately impressed. I started the "Emaneska" series, but (for reasons unknown) I took a massive break before starting on "Dead Stars".

Galley's writing has always been good, but "Dead Stars - Part One" is on another level. I love Farden's development throughout this novel; he is fast becoming one of my all-time favourite characters. I also really enjoyed reading the parts about Samara and I'm interested to see where Galley
Stephen C
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like the others in this series, this book build and builds! There is such a depth to this series and here what I really loved was the change in prose throughout between the characters and the gods. IN many ways this is a journey book and set up to the final battle but this doesn't in any way mean its not a great read. The cover is fantastic as always and makes me glad that I picked this series up when I did.
Abbe
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading the book, and I have to say it was terrific. Ben Galley has put a wonderfully epic story together. I am looking forward to reading book 2, feeling like I shouldn't rush to the end.
Tricia
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Great 3rd book in the Emaneska series. If you enjoyed The Written and Pale Kings, this book needs to be read. It will be released on May 31st along with Dead Stars Part 2! I couldn't stop reading the last half of Part 1, so I definitely can't wait to see how the series ends!
Sue
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great continuation of the Emaneska series.
James Casey
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading the first two parts a few months ago, I was eager to read parts three and four, which were bought for me as a gift. The story begins fifteen years after Pale Kings left off, with Durnus and Tyrfing trying to rebuild Krauslung, a difficult task after the debacle which it had suffered. It seems that Magick is being found in places where it never was before and there is a murderous young girl ( the illicit daughter of Farden) slaying ‘Written’ indiscriminately. A group of three young ...more
Paul Wandless
I'm a bit of two minds about this book. I think the story telling is still strong and Ben is an amazing world builder. The end of the book really ended well to propel you into book 4, which is really the second half of this book. His writing is certainly getting stronger and really is a master with building a rich world and bringing it to life.
What I was less happy about was what seemed to be an overly long time in building the story. It starts with a time jump of 15 years in the future and
Paul Williams
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read from a great author. I would definitely recommend it.
Alan Behan
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cracking read, Ben Galley's writing flow's just nicely while reading away, now for the final installment... ...more
Denise
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book. It's so well written, you just have to keep reading. I could not get enough of this story. I was actually glad I waited to read this, because now I could read all of it in one go. What a glorious time.
Férial
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
So much better than the 1st book and better than the 2nd. 4.5 stars.

The writing, the characters...everything has improved. Even the typos (luckily).

Farden has been to hell and back...well not exactly back (he's still fighting his demons), but one can only hope he'll be able to find peace eventually (though I cannot see how considering the task he has sworn to achieve). Well, hope springs eternal.

I have loved to read the story of the Nine (1500 years before Farden's time) through the eyes of
Victoria Case
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was again a bit long and overly descriptive but the action certainly picked up towards the last half of the book. It is written well (okay I caught a few typos/grammatical errors so that's not what I'm talking about) and Mr. Galley certainly can weave a nice little spell to keep the reader from getting too bored with all the description. Great world building and a fun read! Now on to the next!
Jessica Baird
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I feel as though this book lost its way, the narrative was quite dry and lacklustre and I felt that farden lost a lot of what made him such a vulgar yet charming character, and in the wake of losing that character I found that I just did not care enough for his new persona or that of others in the book to finish it. I got through almost all of this book but near to the end I had had enough. It was a bit of a disappointment for me after this series seemed to start off so well.
Jacques
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Much better than the first two books. It seems that Ben is getting better and better with each book he writes. I really enjoyed the magical system Ben created and the very descriptive scenery and character emotions. Only criticism I have is the amount of spelling/grammar/other errors persisting throughout the series which, although much less in this book, does detract from being able to enjoy without unnecessary distraction.
Max
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not much to say about this. Interesting story, much improved language over the first part, but it still did not grip me as much as I would have liked. Will read the next and final installment of the series, but overall I am not quite sure what I think about the series.
Emma
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked it, but not as much as the second book (Pale Kings). I felt like I was wallowing in Farden's misery with him - for the whole book - on and on. It was just too much. I have already started Part 2 and it's so much better!
Robin Leysen
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great evolution from the previous two parts. Will have to dig into Part Two immediately! Well done.

• A Mark of Kings (The Shattered Reigns #1)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Kingdom of Bones (The Echoes Saga, #5)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Tooth And Claw (The Chronicles of Breed #2)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • The Choice of Magic (Art of the Adept, #1)
  • Never Die
  • Dawn of the Exile (The Infernal Guardian, #2)
  • Age of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • The Wings of War Boxset: Books 1 - 4
  • The Silver Sorceress
  • God of Broken Things
  • The Fall of Neverdark (The Echoes Saga, #4)
Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released a range of epic and dark fantasy novels, including the award-winning weird western Bloodrush and standalone novel The Heart of Stone. He is also the author of the critically-acclaimed Chasing Graves Trilogy.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange

Emaneska (4 books)
  • The Written (Emaneska #1)
  • Pale Kings (Emaneska #2)
  • Dead Stars - Part Two (Emaneska #4)
“Insults fade after years of use, becoming blunt like battle-weary blades. Insults rely on probing the open wounds of shame and guilt. She had neither.” 0 likes