Start by marking “Малки жени” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Малки жени

(Little Women #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,696,156 ratings  ·  31,484 reviews
Това е роман за четирите сестри Мег, Джоу, Бет и Ейми. Баща им е на фронта по време на Гражданската война и те сами с майка си трябва да се справят с трудностите. Четирите момичета преживяват заедно много премеждия и лудории по чудния път от детството към зрелостта.
Published 2011 by ПАН (first published September 30th 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Малки жени, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Trix Wilkins
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jypsel the Trailblazer I mean...let's use autobiographical discourse here.

Romantic love? Very unlikely.

There is plenty of evidence that Louisa May Alcott was a lesbian. Jo…more
I mean...let's use autobiographical discourse here.

Romantic love? Very unlikely.

There is plenty of evidence that Louisa May Alcott was a lesbian. Jo was meant to be inspired by her - her autobiography, steeped in fiction. When Jo tells Laurie that she's tried to love him like he loves her but she can't, this is a nod to the author's struggle to love men as she thought women were supposed to love men but she just couldn't.

Jo was never supposed to marry, much like Alcott never married. She was forced to write Jo into marriage, hence the older German professor - a meeting of the minds, not the hearts. Once again, very much perhaps how Alcott was able to meet men, with her mind but never her heart. And in her diaries, she doesn't even understand her own feelings towards women. This confusion is easily reflected in Jo.

So did Jo love Laurie? Yes. And she always will love Laurie.

But was Jo ever IN love with Laurie? No. (less)

·  1,696,156 ratings  ·  31,484 reviews

Start your review of Малки жени
Susan
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Someone I know claimed this no longer has value, that she would never recommend it because it's saccharine, has a religious agenda, and sends a bad message to girls that they should all be little domestic homebodies. I say she's wrong on all counts. This is high on my reread list along with Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, and a Tree Grows in Brooklyn--you could say that I'm pretty familiar with it.

Let's see--there's a heroine who not only writes, but is proud of the fact and makes a profit from
Fabian
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, yes. I AM a grown-ass man reading this, but I'm not even remotely ashamed.

What I tried to do here was dispel the extra melodrama & embrace the cut-outs (fat trimmed out) of the Winona Ryder film. I was on the hunt for all the "new" (ha!) stuff that the regular person, well informed of the plot involving four young girls growing up (or in the case of Beth, not) never even knew existed. But it seems that the film did a great job not adding many more scenes than direly needed (like the
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description
Old books get a bad rap...but do they deserve it? Check out my latest BooktTube Video - all about the fabulous (and not so fabulous) Olde Boies.

The Written Review
description

Don't try to make me grow up before my time
The March sisters may be radically different but they all have one thing in common - love.

Their love for their mother and father, their love for adventure and for each other unites them in this troubled time.

The Civil War is afoot and all the sisters can do is think about their
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
A new movie is coming out December 25th...

I've never read it so I might have to do a readalong for it that month!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book means SISTERHOOD... FAMILY HAPPINESSTOGETHERNESS THANKFULNESS GENUINENESSSOLIDARITYBELIEFS RESPECTUNCONDITIONAL LOVEHONESTYKINDNESS

This is magical book, when I get into my hands for the first time, I was only eleven and for decades I kept on getting it into my hands, reread it several times and same words resonated different for me, awoke different feelings, made me look at the characters flaws and differences at brand new perspective.
Even though I know the ending: I laughed, I cried,
Rory
Jul 30, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
emma
IM IN LOVE, IM IN LOVE, AND I DONT CARE WHO KNOWS IT!

When I was a child, my mother used to drag me to antique stores all the time. There is nothing more boring to a kid than an antique store. It smelled like dust and old people, and everything looked the same (dark wood), and if we were in a particularly bauble-heavy shop I had to clasp my hands behind my back like a Von Trapp child in order to avoid invoking the you-break-it-you-buy-it policy on a $42 crystal ashtray.

On one such excursion, when
jessica
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
that feeling when you spend the majority of the book desperately longing to be a jo, but then end up realising youre actually just a beth :/

also, the fact that i still like laurie, even after he messes around in france trying to find himself, says a lot more about me than it does about him, to be fair.

and dont even get me started on the new film coming out. the casting definitely has me feeling some kind of way. im still not over the precision of timothée chalamet as laurie, the literary
Ahmad Sharabiani
(863 from 1001) - Little Women (Little Women #1), Louisa May Alcott

Little Women is a novel by American author Louisa May Alcott (18321888), which was originally published in two volumes in 1868 and 1869. Alcott wrote the books over several months at the request of her publisher. Following the lives of the four March sistersMeg, Jo, Beth and Amy the novel details their passage from childhood to womanhood and is loosely based on the author and her three sisters.

زنان کوچک - نویسنده: لوئییز می آلکوت
Corrie
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book begins:

"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents, grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.

It's so dreadful to be poor! sighed Meg, looking down at her old dress.

I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls nothing at all, added little Amy, with an injured sniff.

We've got Father and Mother, and each other, said Beth contentedly from her corner."

There's an undercurrent of anger in this book and I think Louisa May Alcott would have gone much
Emily May
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never liked this one. I read Alcott back around the time I was first reading the Brontes and Dickens, and her books always struck me as incredibly dull in comparison. I was probably about 12, though, so I suppose I should try it again someday.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have owned this book forever! I have the movie and have always loved it. Thanks to several group challenges on here, I have finally gotten to this little gem.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Angela M
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This classic that so many have loved over the years, many having read it as young girls, is somehow one that I never read until now. Its a lovely story, and I wonder how I would have felt about it, had I read it when I was younger. Like so many readers, Jo, the lover of books, the writer, is my favorite, a woman before her time, exhibiting independence and a desire for more in her life. Its a coming of age story in so many ways as we see Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy develop over the years, each ...more
Ruby Granger
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: convenience
I decided to re-read Little Women after watching the new film and am so glad that I did! I enjoyed this book when I first read it at 12, but truly LOVED it this time. The growth and progression of the sisters is wonderful, and the moral lessons infused in Alcott's writing make it a must-read children's classic.
Maureen
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this many years ago, and it was delightful to reconnect with this wonderful classic once again.
theburqaavenger➹
Love is a great beautifier.

The March Sisters.
Marmee.
Laurie.
Hannah.
Mr. Laurence.

What a beautiful journey. What a beautiful family. What a beautiful story.
The book is so simple that every time after i complete it, i wonder whether i missed something. It leaves me wanting to know what led Alcott to write this simple masterpiece.

We have Jo ; a tomboy and an author who has a temper and a quick tongue, although she works hard to control both.

We have Meg ; responsible and kind, has a small weakness
Justin Tate
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relentlessly captivating story of sisters doing it for themselves. Alcott is a master of character, pacing, and creating page-turning suspense within a context of moderately low stakes. I admire everything about her, from her writing talent to her personal life as an abolitionist and feminist. Much of her personal advocacy makes it into the pages of Little Women. Sometimes in subtle ways, and sometimes not. I'm glad to see that the new movie appears to spotlight the feminist undertones because ...more
Candi
"I dont believe fine young ladies enjoy themselves a bit more than we do, in spite of our burnt hair, old gowns, one glove apiece, and tight slippers, that sprain our ankles when we are silly enough to wear them." Jo March

Whether you like this book or not, I doubt there are many that would deny that Jo March is the star of this mid-nineteenth century novel about the March family. In many ways, because of this remarkably self-assured heroine, Little Women seemed to me much ahead of its time.
Shovelmonkey1
May 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, seriously.
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: My mum and the 1001 books list
To me this book is just a big neon highlighted literary exclamation mark defining how incredibly different I am from my mother. She loves this book. Really, really loves it....a lot. She always used to tell me how great she thought it was although, as a kid I somehow avoided reading it; mainly because at this point I was too busy dangling from a climbing frame by my ankles or stealing scrap wood from building sites in order to make dens and tree houses.

As it is prominently placed on the 1001
Gabby
I finally read Little Women! Jo is one of the most relatable characters of all time for me. I feel like this book came into my life at the perfect time. Heres a reading vlog of my experience reading this: https://youtu.be/MkzZAxk4MLQ ...more
Kylie D
A timeless classic that I enjoyed just as much now as I did when I first read it at school.
K.
Look, I'm going to be brutally honest here: I read this when I was about 10 and I quite enjoyed it. But reading it at the age of 33? OH MY GOD, THIS WAS THE MOST SACCHARINE SWEET, INTOLERABLE TWADDLE I'VE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF READING.

All four of the girls are so ridiculously perfect that even when they make the tiny little mistakes that are painted as monumental fuck ups in the book, they're instantly fixed with a sweet smile or a sermon from their mother about women needing to control
Zoë
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 update: I reread this as it was the Austentatious book for June and July! I didn't love it as much as I did the first time I read it, but I am glad I got to revisit the story. (Also, this time I Amy was my favorite character?)

Book 12/100 for 2015
I had to read this book for my Children's Lit class and I loved it! We've done a lot of discussion which has really opened my mind to new things in the book and made me love it even more. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to get
Cecily
I was given this more than 30 years ago, and it never appealed, but I gave it a go when it was selected by my book group in 2009.

As most people know, it's Louisa May Alcott's semi-autobiographical account of four teenage sisters growing up in slight poverty, while their father is away at war.

The opening words alerted me to the tone:
"'Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without any presents'... 'I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls to have nothing
Dottie
My copy of this is probably 55 years old -- I've probably read it at least twenty-five times. One of my all-time favorite books. One of my favorite authors ever. Yes, it is old-fashioned -- it was old-fashioned fifty-five years ago. But that is the point pretty much in my opinion. This is a story of times past, of a family which functioned in a particular way in a particular time. This is also a story of what one person in a family might have wished were so all of the time in the family but ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

The one thing I'm not going to do is apologise for not liking this. I hold no truck with that: stop apologising for having an opinion that is different to the majority.

Little Women was relatively written well in the grammatically correct sense, but I found it to be a very slow and dull read. It is definitely of its time and even though there are small points of seeing the necessity of having strong,
may ❀
i've never witnessed a ship of mine get sunk so tragically, how dare you ms. alcott (ง _)ง

RTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

probably the first classic that i'm //choosing// to read so let's hope this goes well bc it'll probs determine whether i keep this charade up or not :))

Buddy read with ma girl, t swizzle
Iben Frederiksen
★ 4.0 Stars ★

I do think that families are the most beautiful things in all the world!

Little Women, the classic american story written by Louisa May Alcott, follows four sisters; Grown up Meg, free-spririted Jo, kind Beth and ambitious Amy, as they grow from children into women. Alcott tells the story of the March family with so much charm, warmth and humour, that I looked forward to reading a piece of the book every day. Jo March was my favourite of the four, but I loved them all and enjoyed
Duane
I have read 18 of Louisa May Alcott's books, so I guess I can safely say that I am very familiar with her work. Some of them were very good, some not quite as good. All had that 19th century down home feeling with wonderful, memorable characters. But only one of her novels reached the level of what could be called literary greatness. Somehow, with this simple story, and these adorable characters, with a heart warming and heart wrenching plot, Alcott creates an American classic, her masterpiece. ...more
Who was your favorite character in Little Women? 23 130 18 hours, 36 min ago
2020 & 2021 Readi...: Little Women #1 31 63 Dec 03, 2020 03:30PM
The Overhyped-Boo...: Little Women 5 7 Dec 02, 2020 09:24AM
The Well-Read Wom...: Little Women 5 12 Nov 27, 2020 11:32AM
Starlight On Our ...: Sign Up For "Little Women" Buddy Read 1 8 Nov 17, 2020 06:00AM

• Pride and Prejudice
  • Jane Eyre
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Emma
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Animal Farm
  • Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/

Little Women (3 books)
  • Little Men
  • Jo's Boys

Articles featuring this book

This year, we've all got more reason than usual to hunker down inside during the coldest months. Thankfully, those teetering WTR stacks can...
245 trivia questions