Start by marking “The Rules of Conception” as Want to Read:
The Rules of Conception

The Rules of Conception

Rachel Richards is ready to be a mother. She’s got a great job, a good income, a beautiful inner-city apartment, and a great group of supportive friends. All she needs is a father.

But go-getter Rachel won’t let a little thing like that get in the way of her dreams. After investigating different options to become pregnant, co-parenting, adoption and anonymous sperm donors,
Published May 1st 2013 by Harlequin Enterprises Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Rules of Conception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rules of Conception

Simone
Rachel is 35 and ready to be a mother - the only slight hitch in her plans is that she doesn't have a husband, a partner or even a boyfriend. Rachel has never been one to let an obstacle in her path stop her though and makes the life changing decision to go it alone in her quest to have a child. Yes, she knows its not the "ideal" way, but faced with the possibility of parenthood passing her by, she believes it may be her only chance to be a mother.

A high achieving corporate career woman, Rachel
Gabby
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-book-jar-2017
This was part of my book jar this year, and I was really happy when I picked it out last month!

It did take me a little bit of time to want to pick it up (but that was more me not feeling the genre, than the actual story itself). Once I had started it though, the time absolutely flew. It was easy to read large chunks of it and not realize. "Just one more chapter before bed" turned into staying up until midnight. Since the chapters were so short- I found myself convincing myself I could squeeze i
Helen McKenna
At the age of 35 Rachael has ticked a lot of items off her "to do" list - she's got her own apartment in Sydney, her career is flying high and she has a full social life with a great circle of friends. Yet, she has started to feel the pull of her biological clock and after the end of another relationship decides that it's now or never - she is going to have a baby alone.

Thus begins an entertaining and educational process - the selection of her unborn child's father. Rachael explores many options
Cecilia
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant,poignant and certainly a novel of modern society; The Rules of Conception tackles one of the most confronting questions to face women and takes a new approach to shutting up that internal tick-tocking once and for all.

Whether you agree with the path Rachel chooses or not, you will find yourself on the edge of your seat right from the get go and Rachel is such an adorable and engaging character either way you'll find yourself willing to fight in her corner.

Lawrence has handled such a de
Ellie Smith
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ellie by: Saw it in bookshop
Once I started reading this book I could not put it down. As a single woman in her early thirties, I often hear my girlfriends say that they would have a baby by themselves if they can’t find a partner, but none of them have any idea how to go about it or what that would mean. The Rules of Conception's Rachel takes you on that journey and not only looks at how someone would go about the task of having a baby alone but also how this decision affects all aspects of her life.

The main character, Ra
Jess
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
You know how there are those books that you just get sometimes. The ones that seep into your every waking thoughts and make you question some of the things you did and didn’t know? Well, The Rules of Conception was one of those books for me. While it’s true its not exactly a ground breaking novel nor is it likely to win dozen’s of awards, it was a feel good book that I connected with from very early on in the writing. A process helped by the narratives unique feel and new approach to what is con ...more
Bree T
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, aww2013, australian
Rachel has just turned 35 and her most recent short-term relationship has ended. She knows she’s absolutely no closer to finding The One and getting married and starting a family. Actually, finding The One and getting married isn’t really on Rachel’s priority list but the starting a family is.

She decides that she’s going to go it alone and become a single parent by choice. The best way to go about that seems to be by a donor. After looking into anonymous donation, Rachel decides that isn’t for h
Sam Still Reading
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of chick lit with a difference
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: ARC from publisher - thank you!
The Rules of Conception is a really interesting book that is also unique, as it covers something I’ve never really thought about before. Rachel has hit the big 3-5 and wants a baby. The problem is, her current boyfriend is work preoccupied and trekking obsessed – he’s not even Mr Right for Now. The other men she knows are a bit meh. So what’s a girl to do? Look into having a baby on her own.

I have honestly never realised that there are so many choices involved in getting the Y chromosome – and n
Lane
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
In a world that assumes a single mid-thirties female has a slim chance of finding ‘happily-ever-after’ with a husband, 2.5 children and the proverbial white picket fence; it’s not often you read a novel about a woman of a certain age who gives the middle finger to society’s expectations by making a choice to have a baby – alone.

With her debut novel, ‘The Rules of Conception’, Angela Lawrence explores this realistic option of ‘single-motherhood by choice’ with sensitivity and humour.

In the midst
Musing
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Have you ever started a book feeling confident that 'this is going to be good' and then getting to the end and thought 'what??'? Well, that was my experience with Angela Lawrence's The Rules of Conception.

This was a well constructed, entertaining novel, which explored one woman's decision to have a baby outside of the traditional 'rules of conception' - hence its title. It was cleverly written, balancing well, sensitivity to what is becoming a heart-wrenching issue for many women with delight
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Debut author Angela Lawrence explores a woman's desire for motherhood in The Rules of Conception. Rachel Richards is in her mid thirties, single (again), financially secure and wanting to be a mother. Worried time is running out, she makes the choice to go it alone. Rachel begins to investigate her options, eventually choosing a 'known donor' but the conception of her plan turns out to be much easier than it's execution.

I was intrigued by the premise of The Rules of Conception, primarily because
Samantha Kukuljan
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

Like many women in modern Australian society, Rachel Richards is ready to be a mother. She's smart, strong, a go-getter with a great career and is financially independent. She has everything she wants in life except... a baby and Rachel is feeling the pressure of her biological clock ticking.

There's no real reason Rachel is still single, she just has not found the right man yet. She does not plan to find him anytime soon because she is going to use a sperm donor to conceive her baby!

Ok,
Peta Whitney
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
THE Rules of Conception is a lovely, mostly uncomplicated story with a fantastic, level- headed protagonist.

Rachel Richards is at the time of her life that dreams of motherhood are dancing in her head. Taking her most recent break-up as incentive to leave a man out of the equation, she decides to embark on falling pregnant with a donor.

TROC touches lightly on the subject of single mothers and society’s appreciation of, or reaction to, women who decide – as opposed to those who ‘fall’ into single
Renee Booth (Sassy Book Lovers)
The blurb pretty much sums up the entire book, so here is my opinion. Although I feel that the storyline was unique, original and clever, it could have been delivered better. As a result of the writing skills, I found that the majority of the book was slow and dragged a bit and I quite often felt myself getting bored. Once I did get to the end of the book it felt rushed. It kind of felt like the author put so much time in trying to make the book longer that when she got to the end it had to be q ...more
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Thank you, Netgalley.

Decent book, although slow at points and no concrete concept of passing time. Overall, though, I think it's great that a book has been written to address something that's becoming more and more common, the idea of a being a single mother by choice. I don't know so much that I would agree that this book is going to take the world by storm, but I do think I would like to see another book or so to follow up on the storyline.

There were times when I really, really did not agree
Rhiannon Johnson
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
In recent years terms such as artificial insemination, surrogacy, and IVF have become mainstream. Angela Lawrences' Rules of Conception integrates these terms and additional jargon regarding non-traditional conception. Rachel Richards is 35 years old and rising in her career. Her dating life is not on quite the same trajectory so she decides to not wait around for Mr Right. Having saved enough to take a year off work, she decides to have a child on her own. After some online research and a not-q ...more
Aussie Jo
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: don-t-bother
Ho hum....
Started out around the four star mark, hit three stars by halfway then dropped to a two.
Whilst it did not take much to get into the swing of this book, it really was not about much. Although the decision to have a baby is done with the obvious consequences attached, it really did not need most of the book to get where it was headed.
For the most part it headed around in circles and did not achieve much. If this was a true story and it happened to yourself and a friend it would be possi
Melinda Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
this was good enough but there was a lot of superfluous characters and plots that I thought could have had better reasons for being in the novel, and a lot of these scenarios I found myself thinking "oh! a paternity twist!" or "the boss is up to something!" and then I was disappointed when my imagination was more exciting than the storylines. Then I wondered why include these little segues in the first place? It plodded along until it didn't anymore. A bit of a shame.
Corey Zerna
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great first novel - I couldn't put it down - right to its satisfying end
Pragya
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Colleen
A light read, it had me chuckling on the train :)
Naomi David
rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2014
Nicole Stevens
rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2016