Jump to ratings and reviews
Olivia Black is back.

Only this time she's not the one in need of rescue.

Samantha James, rich, popular, and an award-winning composer at age seventeen, is the next target on the CAMFers' list. In order to convince Samantha to come with them, Olivia and Passion must pose as cousins, blend into the most affluent high school in Indianapolis, and infiltrate a mysterious cult known as The Hold.

Olivia doesn't expect it to be easy, even with the PSS guys backing them up. But what she discovers over the course of the mission will call into question everything she ever believed about herself, her family, and especially about Marcus, the guy she is undoubtedly falling in love with.

Paperback

First published September 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ripley Patton

16 books398 followers

Ripley Patton lives on 22 wooded acres on a lake in Southern Illinois with a cat named Lemmy. Her two young adult children, a daughter and a son, are her favorite people. When Ripley's not out exploring nature and getting her hands dirty, she's usually reading or writing a book.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (1%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 72 reviews
Profile Image for Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*.
768 reviews283 followers
September 27, 2013
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst. (Posting to my blog on Release Day, September 30, 2013)

I received this eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

5 Luminous, Vibrant Stars!
A Thrilling, Wild Adventure with Danger, Intrigue and Excitement And A Chilling End Sure To Haunt You!

The Review:
I'm in awe right now. Ripley Patton has shocked, wowed and stunned me with this book, especially the ending. The story was intense, powerful, fun, frightening and heartbreaking. I absolutely couldn’t put it down and now, I am all beside myself because the wait for the next book in the series is going to be torturous!

Story...
At the end of book one, Ghost Hand, and the extreme events that unfolded, Olivia, Marcus, Yale, Jason, Nose and Passion decided they needed to go after the next person on the CAMFers list. Hacking out a plan to blend in at a new school in Indy where their target lives, Marcus wants Olivia and Passion to infiltrate their way into Samantha James’s circle, in hopes to pull her away from her entourage long enough to tell her about the danger she and anyone with PSS is in.

But as soon as they roll into town, strange things start to happen, dissension starts among the ranks, dangerous and emotional secrets are revealed, dubious secrets are kept and Marcus and Olivia start to have relationship problems. Everything seems to be hanging by a thread and the danger they are all in is even more great than it was before.

Characters...
I enjoy seeing Marcus and Olivia together. They have a special bond after the events in book one and the fact they both have PSS and know the joy and pain of being different, only makes them stronger. But Marcus has a shaded past steeped in torture and pain so he has huge trust issues. These issues come into play during this book as well as the fact he likes to only divulge information on a need to know basis and normally, he doesn’t feel people need to know, especially when he feels it puts them in danger. So he keeps secrets from Olivia, sometimes right out lying to her, leaving very little room for her to trust him.

However, when they are together and getting along, its a beautiful thing and the events that unfolded towards the end had me completely and utterly dazed and reeling.

I love the PSS misfits. Jason was always a bit of a hot head and in this book, he seems to be growing and maturing. He becomes more trustworthy and I really liked him. Yale and Nose were fun as always and we get to learn more about Passion. She has a side story that explores her more and I really came to like her.

The bad guys or CAMFers, are stepping up their game in the war on people with PSS. There’s also another faction in the mix that is spearheaded by a corrupt and misguided leader who seems to want to control something he’s not even a part of.

My Thoughts...
There was so much going on but throughout everything, there were sweet moments, beautiful reveals, tragic incidents and a cliffy that will leave you stunned beyond words. I loved book one but book two has completely blown me away! I can only imagine book three will be an even more harrowing, action packed journey and I can't wait!

The Wrap Up:
Ghost Hold ended on a very somber note. A lot of things transpired during this read, a lot of questions were answered but a ton more were posed. These young characters have carved out a special place in my heart for them with their plight, their triumphs, their fights and their fortitude. When book three comes out, guarantee I’ll be one of the first in line to get my copy. I have to know how this story unfolds, what happens to the characters I’ve come to love, where the new suspicions lead and what happened after the HUGE cliffy ended. Its going to be a long wait!
Profile Image for Liliana.
767 reviews197 followers
October 22, 2013
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

So, in Ghost Hold, Olivia and the rest of the crew head out to rescue the next person on the CAMFERs list, and holy shi- *ahem* ;) Ripley really played with my feels in this one! I still cannot get over that ending! I don't know what to think anymore!

Seriously this book had me crying (um, a lot), laughing, swooning, and everything in between. I really do like a book with so much emotion.

There were also lots and lots of twists and turns and shocking secrets unveiled. I love twists and being surprised... Usually. That one at the end though? I'm still in shock.

We also met some new characters with interesting PSS and powers. Plus we got to know some of the characters we're already familiar a lot better! The enigma that is Passion, for example, is one of those characters. We get to know her so much more in depth and I could not believe all the things she's been keeping to herself! So crazy! And I wish I could tell you, but you know, spoilers ;) Jason is one that surprised me, because I actually ended up really liking him.

And then we have Marcus and Olivia who make such a fantastic couple. Olivia I think is a great character, who's had to deal with a lot of tough things. I really hope she'll have the strength to get out of the latest betrayal. And Marcus, swoon-worthy Marcus, I don't know how to explain him to you. I have this love-hate relationship with him because he is just so sweet but such a chronic liar!

One thing, however, I had troubles keeping track of other character we met in the last book. I had to stop and think "Okay, who is this guy and what is this they're talking about?" I read the last book a while ago so I could not remember some of the details mentioned in this sequel. But, overall, I thought this was a fantastic read with a great plot!

It was a suspenseful, action-packed sequel with many secrets, steamy romance and a betrayal that will leave you reeling with shock. This series is a must-read for anyone looking for something a little different and heart-wrenching.

Also, I need the next book now! That ending... Ripley, you are killing me here! Oh, my feels!
Profile Image for Tanja (Tanychy).
588 reviews249 followers
December 9, 2013
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

A month or so ago I've read and reviewed Ghost Hand and then I said that I really loved the uniqueness of this story. I did have some issues with the first book back then, but I can happily say that Ghost Hold was better than expected.

After getting to meet Olivia and her condition it was hard not to be perplexed by the idea of a ghost hand. It was something new and then we got to meet Marcus and see that this whole picture is bigger than we thought. When they get to see what CAMRers can do they know that they must go and help others with PSS because they are just victims who don't know where they are. With the list they go to rescue Samantha the girl with PSS. But things get much more complicated and darker than they thought.

Usually it happens that when a book presents a new idea, the sequel ends up being a disappointment because you're not fascinated by the phenomena any more, luckily Ripley had much more to add to this idea and make it even more interesting. For me it was great to see how this aspect is realistic and how even though that's the central idea of this story everything else is nicely built around it.

In this sequel we can also see the growth of characters and their emotions. It was great to see their relationship grow and they for sure have a special bond. Besides their growth we get to meet Passion better and see her story. It was a story that surprised me and I really get to like her more.

I truly enjoyed this story and how everything got to develop and after that ending it's hard not to eagerly expect the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Robin (Bridge Four).
1,574 reviews1,462 followers
October 17, 2013
3.5 Stars

Ghost Hold picks up a few weeks after Ghost Hand ended. Olivia has left her entire life behind in search of some names on a list with Marcus, Passion and the PSS kids. She is going to go undercover into a private school with Passion in hopes of recruiting a girl from the list into their group. Sounds like a simple enough plan but it turns out that it might not be that easy as Samantha James is the daughter of the leader of a cult. Not just any cult either, one that worships PSS.

I enjoyed the fast paced story line that followed. While a few of my questions were answered (not a lot of them but a few) there were so many more posed. Now not only are there CAMFers that hunt PSS kids there is a semi-religious group called The Hold also looking for kids with PSS to join their ranks. At times there was so much going on I got a little muddled. I did however love the expansion of Passion and Jason’s characters. Passion who was such a mystery at the beginning of the book was shed in a completely different light and I liked her transition in the story. It was great to see Passion and Olivia become friends and find some common ground. Jason really grew up a little in this book and instead of just being a gun toting conspiracy theorist he really started to grow on me as someone who sees what is going on and is always watching out for the people he cares about.

I had a few small issues with the book. One is all the coincidences. I didn’t completely buy into them. I can’t remember the exact number but I think that there were like four or five things that just happened to happen and to be a coincidence. The other was I was foggy on a few details/names from the previous book and most authors I will complain over explain things to jog your memory. I think this is the only book I will say the opposite. Had I read Ghost Hand right before this that wouldn’t have been a problem but I read it six months ago so I forgot a few names and while Ripley did get to who they were in the story it seemed they had been mentioned a few times before she jogged my memory. The last thing was I really wanted Olivia to pull stuff out of people. That was the most interesting part of the first book to me. I loved how the things Olivia took out of people changed them, possibly made them better and I’m fascinated by it. But she was afraid of herself and her gift in this book. I really wish I could have read more about that aspect of the story.

A few of the brighter points from this book: I don’t know what to think about Marcus I flip back and forth between he is a good guy trying to protect everyone in his group to he has something bigger he is hiding and maybe he is the worst villain of all. The mystery surrounding both Marcus’s past and Olivia’s parents added a new layer to storyline. The last five chapters were incredibly intense and the cliffhanger at the end was unbelievably jagged, it cut me.

I enjoyed the first book in the series a little more but overall the addition to the storyline kept me engaged and I will definitely be interested to see what happens in the final book of the series.

Oct 11, 2013
Still pondering. This book was all over the place for me and some stuff happened that played on my emotions so much I have to work through some befuddlement to figure out how I really feel.

Full review shortly with rating shortly.
November 9, 2014
Bell, Book & Candle | Ghost Hand Review

About a month ago, I reviewed the first book in the PSS Chronicles as per request. I did find it enjoyable so I decided to give it a go and read the rest in the series. Ghost Hold, more or less, picks up where the previous book, Ghost Hand left off. Yet in this book, some rather shocking secrets are divulged (and who doesn't love figurative bombshells being dropped?).

I got to say I like where this story is heading. It's tricky when writing a sequel because more often than not, it's not as entertaining as the last and the world within the book is no longer as exciting and brand new. Although I did like the Ghost Hand, I'll admit that there were aspects of it I was definitely not fond of. But Ripley Patton has seemed to have found her writing groove in this one. I loved the tidbits of information about the history of PSS and powers that each person can get as a result of it. I really want to know more. Everything seemed to flow and somehow fit nicely together like a puzzle; there were no aspects that seemed "out of left field" to me. The introduction of the new characters was probably my favorite part, as well as the character growth and development of the old ones.

For the most part I admire Olivia in how strong and determined she is. Very few people, let alone fictional characters, have it in them to leave all they have known growing up behind and lead a life on the run, constantly looking over their shoulder. She could've been whiny about it, but she decided to suck it up and move forward. And I do so enjoy her sarcasm and feistiness. Add that to the fact that she didn't take any BS from anyone--including Marcus (Mr. Liar-Liar-Pants-On-Fire). The new dynamic between Liv and Passion was great to see, as the latter is finally establishing herself as a main character here to stay.

Speaking of Passion, I'm pleased that the reader is finally getting to "get to know" Passion and find out what makes her "tick". In the previous book, she sort of annoyed me but I think it had more to do with the fact that I didn't really know much about her. I will admit that her little secret was mildly surprising.

Marcus was a little too headstrong in this one. It was almost like his sole purpose of recruiting/saving/whatever of Samantha meant disregarding everyone and everything. Where he seemed a little bit sensitive to people in the first book, he just didn't have a care in the world about using and abusing. Although he did end up being right about certain things, so I suppose I can't tear him down too much. There wasn't a whole lot of romance between him and Olivia, unfortunately, but romance isn't exactly the focal point in this story (it's just extra, like whipped cream) so it doesn't really bother me.

They were some sad parts of the book, so beware because I don't want to spoil it for you all. As stated before, the story progression was good as were the characters developments. I do love this world Patton has created, as it seems entirely too realistic--something like this phenomena could happen in today's world.
August 9, 2014
****SPOILERS ALERT****
Oh. My. God!!
I can't breath, I can't speak. Yet I'm writing this review witch means I can at least do SOMETHING while waiting for this damn good book to come out. And when I found out it wasn't coming until SUMMER, I was sobbing and throwing books all over my room, trying to calm myself down. And then I realized that it didn't even have a release date yet, and I started throwing things again.

And that ending!! It was so mind blowing that I read all the night and woke my sister and babbled all night about it till she threw me out of the room and yelled "shut up".

I never saw the twist coming at the end, and I seriously doubt that others did either. How can Marcus/Daniel betray Olivia like that! I hate him... but I love him. I want Olivia to find him and kill him... but I want her to kiss him at the same time! This is so frustrating!
I mean, I understand why Marcus/Daniel did it, but how can he betray OLIVIA of all people. I thought they had something special going on, and so did Olivia. Maybe Marcus/Daniel really cared about her, but didn't have the opportunity to save her before it was too late... I guess we'll find out in Ghost heart.
I wonder what Olivia will do when she finally realizes that he actually spied on her and used her. If I were her, I would have driven my hand inside him, and taken out whatever the hell that was inside him. I would have screamed, yelled, and punched him and probably sobbed in front of him (which is very pathetic, I know).

And I loved that the first person with PSS was Thea Frandsen from Norway; considered I'm from Norway, so I was doing my happy dance when I noticed, and I was like "Ha! Suckas! People actually know about Norway!"

Anyway back to the book.

I can't wait until this book is released. Because dammit, I can't live without it. And I will probably be one of the first to buy it!
Profile Image for Angie.
105 reviews9 followers
September 30, 2013
I once read a comment made by an author that went something like this "We work for months and months to write a book and you readers come along and read it in a hour" it wasn't said in anger more in amusement. Well here I am one of those people that read and read until I got to the very end finishing this book in day. I'm a fast reader naturally, but when a book is good and I really like it I tend to go into the zone and don't even realize I've been reading the book for as long as I have or that I'm almost done with it, that happened with this one.

I wouldn't have been able to guess at 85% of the things that happened in this book. Everything that kept happening had me being surprised, or at least not thinking that it was going to happen that way.

I still really like Olivias character, though she needs to work on keeping her feelings to herself when it comes to certain things. Though at the same time that is just who she is.

I wasn't to sure how I would feel about Passion, but I have to say I really think she was a good add to the book. I was defiantly surprised by her back story.

I have almost jumped from the love/hate train to the hate train when it comes to Marcus, but I'm holding out a little longer with him. I still don't know what to think about him, and I want to like him, but at the same time I want to punch him in the face. He seems like he wants to help everyone and especially Olivia, but at the same time he keeps things hidden from everyone.

The plot was good, there was just enough things happening at all the right times to keep you interested in reading. I had thought at one time there was going to be a love triangle, but thank God it didn't happen. There is action, romance, and some mystery. I wasn't expecting something like The Hold, but it really makes sense when it comes to the PSS, when there is something people don't understand they can hate it like the CAMPers, or they can love it like The Hold. It was defiantly an interesting concept.

The ending. . . .yeah I was all shocked with it. I probably shouldn't have been because just about everything in the book blindsided me, but I really didn't think something like that would happen. I have to say everything does wrap up pretty nicely, and I like that. But I'm still reeling from everything that happened, and I really want to know what is going to happen next. I don't want to spoil anything for others so I'll only say this, I was pretty sad about a lot that happened, and I need to know what happen to Passion and Jason.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, I really enjoyed this one and I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.

**Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review.**

Profile Image for Deb.
Author 3 books101 followers
October 14, 2013
Generally really enjoyed this. It continues the story of Ghost Hand and delves into some deeper, darker secrets of the characters and groups involved.

So, Ghost Hold continues the tale of the kids with PSS (Psyche Sans Soma). These kids have "missing" body parts that are replaced with a glowing blue version of said body part... And, under certain conditions, these glowing blue body parts can develop special powers - like the MC Olivia's PSS hand's ability to reach into people and pull items out... A very interesting ability indeed, since these things she pulls out of people can have a power of their own.

So, if you haven't read Ghost Hand (Book 1 of the PSS Chronicles), I suggest you do. It's a great premise.

And Ghost Hold continues on pretty much seamlessly.

I'm starting to have a little trouble with the fact Olivia can't trust anyone (and I mean ANYONE... everyone's spinning her tales or telling her incomplete truths...), because that means I can't either.

Strangely, the swearing didn't bother me in the first book. I read reviews where stars were dropped because of the swearing and, while I understand people's opinions, I hadn't found it a bother.

This time round, though... 'S***' or 'F***' appear as their own little sentences on almost every page. I found it disrupted the flow of the text for me. Plus, because of the way I choose to use such words (so, this is my own personal stand point colouring my reading) I tend to get all excited when someone uses them, thinking something huge is happening... if they're overused, you keep going "What? What?! Oh, is that all?" and they lose their impact... There were many instances that I went back and read again, skipping over the swear word and found the situation had more impact (for me) without. I understand why Ms Patton chose to use the words - many teens do like to bandy the "forbidden" words around, but I don't think it was necessary. The characters behaved enough like teens to not need it... my opinion. Just sharing.

Other than that, the concept still has me pretty well gripped. Still interested in where this PSS stuff can take us, and what the ultimate conclusion might be... if there is one. It may be better to leave us guessing...

Still a highly recommended read.
Profile Image for Rebecca.
160 reviews18 followers
October 26, 2014
I was given the opportunity to review the first three books of this series as part of the "Ghost Heart" blog tour and all I can say is Where have you been all my life?

When I first started reading "Ghost Hand", I wasn't too sure that I would ultimately enjoy it as much as I hoped, but that quickly turned around, taking hold of my attention with the ghostly tendrils of a PSS sufferer. What is PSS you ask? Good question! It's a medical anomaly, a birth defect dubbed Psyche Sans Soma, in which the hand ceases being flesh and blood at the wrist and resumes as a ghostly substitute made up of ethereal energy. It's a new, wild idea that the author inflicted her main character with, 17 year old Olivia Black.

The series has a smart, witty sense of humor with paranormal action and romance, as Olivia Black is hunted by a secret organization called the CAMFers. They are people she knew, they are strangers, they will stop at nothing to get what they want, and what they want is her and the strange, wonderous, terrible things that she can do with her Ghost Hand.

This is one series I strongly recommend to YA paranormal romance lovers everywhere.

Oh, and the first book is free.

Right on.
Profile Image for Debbie.
79 reviews
February 10, 2014
Ghost Hold ( PSS Chronicles #2) by Ripley Patton
I received this book in exchange for an honest review by the Author and the “Lovers of Paranormal” Group on Goodreads.com
This is a brilliant book that I absolutely loved. Ghost Hold is the second book in the PSS Chronicles series and picks up a few weeks after “Ghost Hand” ended...and so the tale of Olivia Black and the kids with PSS ( Psyche Sans Soma ) continues. This book has well crafted elements of mystery and intrigue and will keep you guessing until the very end. The plot is excellent, and very well thought out. The style of writing is rich and descriptive and flows well, making the book an easy read. The characters are well described and true to life. This book is a real page turner that will have you hooked until the very end. If you love books with a Supernatural theme, then you will enjoy this one. I can’t wait for the next book in this series to come out. I will definitely be looking for more of this talented authors work.

Profile Image for Book Junky Girls.
840 reviews34 followers
September 10, 2014
Being on the run is hard, but now that they've made it to Indi the have to figure out a way to get Samantha on their side and get out before the bad guys get to them. But in this new city secrets keep coming out and Olivia just might reach her breaking point espically when they come from those she's trusted most.

The story continues to grow and take shape and you see more of the world created and learn more about PPS and those that cary it.

Olivia has grown from Ghost hand and is learning how to be herself out in the world and not let others run all over her.

We learn more about Marcus and his past and I loved how it played out throughout the story becoming more important as we continue to read.

Great addition to and already interesting series.
Profile Image for Janysa.
245 reviews11 followers
Want to read
July 22, 2013
Oh we have a sneak peek!

Marcus crossed back to the faucet of the now-full Jacuzzi tub and turned it off. He bent over and turned on the jets, which kicked up a lot more steam and a lot more noise. I was starting to melt inside my own clothes, and he must have been too, because when he turned back to me he was slipping his t-shirt over his head.
“What are you doing?” I asked, my voice coming out a little strangled.
“You and I need to talk,” he said, letting the shirt drop to the floor.
“Yes,” I said, trying not to gawk at his chest and the way the steam swirled into it, his PSS shining back and coloring the mist a soft blue hue. “But can’t we do that with our clothes on?”
“We need to talk where I’m sure no one can hear us,” he said, his hands going to the snap of his jeans. “They don’t put bugs in bathrooms because the moisture corrodes them.” The snap was undone. The zipper was next. He had on red tartan boxers. “Plus, not many people plot and plan in the john.” He slid the jeans down his legs, turned, slipped off the boxers, and stepped into the tub, sinking down into it with an audible moan.
I stood there stunned. I had just seen Marcus naked. He’d just stripped to his beautiful bare ass right in front of me as if it were nothing. Yes, we’d been sleeping in a tent together for weeks, and making out, but when one of us changed clothes, the other still looked away. Marcus and I had not gotten naked together. We hadn’t even come close, because I always held back. I couldn’t even bring myself to reach my hands inside his shirt. What if my flesh hand accidentally went into his chest and disrupted his PSS? Even worse, what if my ghost hand reached into him and pulled something horrible out? I was pretty sure either of those scenarios would be a serious buzz kill to our intimacy.
“Do you have any idea how long it’s been since I've had a bath?” he said, almost a purr, laying his head back on the edge of the tub and closing his eyes.
“I—no—I haven’t had one for like a month,” I stammered, looking down at the tile floor, completely flustered.
“Olivia,” he said softly, and I looked up to find his eyes boring into me, dewy drops captured on those thick dark lashes. “Come here.”
I crossed obediently to the side of the bath, both relieved and a bit disappointed to find that the burbling of the jets obscured most of what was in it. Except his PSS chest. It glowed and pulsed like some half-submerged, cerulean, underwater treasure.
Marcus put his hand out for mine. The invitation was obvious.
This was crazy. There was no way we were going to be able to talk, coherently, in a bathtub together.
“It’s a big tub,” he said, nodding at the other end, “and I promise to be good.”
Yeah, but it wasn't just him I was worried about. If I got in the tub with Marcus, I would be in the tub with Marcus. “But I—” I looked down at myself. I had on my sleeping tank with no bra underneath, my sweatpants, and underwear.
“You have no idea how relaxing this is,” he said, slipping his hand back into the water and closing his eyes. Either he was taunting me, or giving me a chance to undress without him watching. Probably both.
“You bastard,” I muttered under my breath. I slipped off my shoes and sweatpants and padding barefoot to the far end of the tub. I was not going in completely naked. I wasn't that much of a fool. I kept my tank and underwear on and stepped into the hot swirling water. As I slid down into it, jets pounding my butt and back, the wet heat rising up and swallowing all my aches and pains in its pure liquid magic, I couldn't keep the moan from escaping my lips either.
And I didn't miss the effect that sound had on my bath mate.
One of his lean, muscular legs brushed mine, trembling. And his eyes widened. And his breath came a little faster across the water, far less relaxed then it had been only a moment before.

And the first chapter!

Chapter 1, Almost to Civilization
I had never been so happy to see a barn in my life. Yes, it looked like it was about to fall over, which had me questioning the wisdom of storing all our worldly belongings in it, but the squat red building had a roof and four walls, something I hadn’t seen up close in over two weeks. As our ATVs pulled up to it, I removed my hand from Marcus’s waist and yanked my bandanna over my mouth to keep from inhaling the cloud of dust they always kicked up. I still hadn’t gotten used to the constant grime of camp life, the way my clothes held a layer of dirt, like Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoon, or the grit I could always feel between my teeth, no matter how many times I brushed them. They didn’t show you that in the movies; that the life of a fugitive was filthy and sweaty, especially in the middle of an unseasonably-hot Indiana October.
Marcus cut the engine of our wheeler and, one by one, behind us, Yale, Jason, Nose and Passion cut theirs too. We’d replaced Jason’s stolen ATV fifty miles outside of Greenfield and gotten one for Passion while we were at it. Marcus had offered to get me one too, but I’d opted to ride with him because I was a crap driver, and also because there was just something about wrapping my legs around a thrumming motor while wrapping my arms around Marcus’s waist that had made the two-hundred miles of dust and dirt-eating worth it. Even so, I was really glad to be making it back to civilization.
Marcus was pulling off his helmet, and I pulled mine off as well. He looked over his shoulder at me, and we smiled at one another, not needing to say anything. We were here. We’d made it to Indy, and without any apparent pursuit by Mike Palmer or the CAMFers. Well, we’d almost made it. We still had thirty miles to go, but this was where we’d trade in our wheelers for a comfy rental van. We’d lock away all our camping gear and dirt-stained clothes in the barn and disguise ourselves as wealthy suburban teenagers. This was where the mission to save Samantha James really began.
I slid off the vinyl seat, set my grimy helmet on it, and stretched my legs. My ass hurt more than anything, but I’d learned not to complain about it. It seemed there was nothing in the world teenage boys liked to do more than make sore ass jokes.
Marcus stepped off the wheeler too and dug in his pocket for the key that would unlock the giant padlock on the chain entwined around the barn’s steel door handles.
Impatient to get out of the mid-day sun, I strode forward and sank my ghost hand into it, feeling the satisfying click as the lock popped open.
“Thanks,” Marcus said, coming alongside me. “You’re sure handy.”
“Ha ha, very funny,” I said, poking him in the ribs with my elbow. “Like I’ve never heard that one before.”
As Marcus and I pulled the heavy barn doors open together, the others joined us, and we all entered the vaulted, slat-lit interior of the barn. It smelled musty inside, with a slight sweet undertone of rotting hay.
“You’re sure our stuff will be safe here?” Jason asked.
“Pretty sure,” Marcus said, “But if it isn’t, we’ll buy more. Anything personal you should bring in the van though, just in case we don’t make it back.”
Just in case we don’t make it back. There was a subtle message in that statement for all of us. We were heading into danger. We’d been outrunning it, but now we were headed straight into the thick of it, and we had no idea exactly what that would look like, or what the ultimate outcome would be.
I looked around at their faces, these boys who had once been my rescuers. Was this how it had felt when they’d been just outside of Greenfield preparing to come get me? This calculated fear? This tingle of excitement and anticipation?
My eyes fell on Passion, and she stared back at me, her pale face almost glowing in the darkness of the barn. Was she afraid and excited too? I had no idea. She was a complete mystery to me, a mystery I had spent weeks avoiding despite the fact that we’d been living in the same camp together. It hadn’t been that hard to avoid her. She had her own tent, and I’d shared Marcus’s. She tended to keep to herself, just like I did, so we’d mostly seen each other at meals or in the evenings around a low fire on the nights Marcus had deemed it safe enough for one. In the first week or so at camp, Nose had paid her a lot of attention, but she’d given no indication she was interested, and eventually he’d backed off. She hadn’t been mean or anything. She was always nice to everyone. Too nice. Painfully nice. I suddenly realized I was still staring at her, and I glanced away, heat flushing my face, a strange anger rising in me.
What was my problem with Passion? I just didn’t like her, and I had no real reason for it. A couple of days before, Marcus had actually taken me aside and said, “Don’t you think it’s time you had a talk with her?” But that had made me want to talk to her even less. Honestly, Passion should have had a problem with me, not the other way around. I was the one who’d yanked something out of her soul, used it for myself, and then basically handed it to the bad guys. She probably thought I was a complete bitch. And maybe she was right.
“How about if the guys unload the stuff from the trailers into the barn, and we’ll set aside the personal stuff for Olivia and Passion to pack into the van,” Marcus directed us.
“Where’s the van?” I asked.
“It should be out back,” he said.
We all exited the barn and circled around back and there it was, gleaming in the sun like a golden chariot—an extra-long, brand new, white passenger van with bucket seats, tinted windows and a grey leather interior.
It was one of the most beautiful things I’d ever seen. My butt could already feel that padded bucket seat. My face could feel the cool, gentle, dustless breeze of the air-conditioner.
Marcus opened the back doors of the van, and started passing out duffle bags for each of us containing a change of new clothes, new shoes, and our fake IDs. Mine said that I was Anne Clawson, 17, and Passion was playing the part of Mirabelle Clawson, also 17 and my cousin who’d come to live with us after her parent’s recent and messy divorce. Anne was my middle name, and Mirabelle was Passion’s. Marcus said it was always better to play close to the truth. It made the lies easier to remember.
I tried not to be disappointed that the clothes in the duffle weren’t my style at all. Apparently, Anne Clawson, a rich girl with rich parents, didn’t have my dark sensibilities.
But the clothes and the cousin thing weren’t the worst of it. Not even close. The worst part was that Marcus would be playing the role of my older brother, Clayton Clawson, a twenty-one year old pre-med student. The story was that our parents were away celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary in the Mediterranean while Clayton orchestrated the family move to Indianapolis. Yeah, my boyfriend was going to pretend to be my brother. I was really looking forward to that.
As for Jason, Yale and Nose, they were a little too ethnically diverse to fit in to the Clawson family, so they’d be hiding out in the basement of our new house, running security detail and laying low. But they still got new clothes and fake ID’s casting them as three of Clayton’s college buddies, just in case.
“We can get changed in the barn after we get everything loaded,” Marcus said, handing the last duffle bag to Yale.
And so we got to work, like the well-oiled machine we’d become. The packing was easy compared to setting up and tearing down camp every day. Marcus had us pack the guns and ammo deep under the back seat in case we got pulled over or something, though, according to Jason, Indiana had some of the laxest gun laws in the country, which was the argument he gave for refusing to pack his away.
“Jason,” Marcus said. “”You’re not going to need it in the next thirty miles.”
“You don’t know that,” Jason said, gripping his gun even more tightly, so, in the end, Marcus let him keep it.
After we all got changed, the last thing to go into the back of the van, carefully wrapped in a quilt, was The Other Olivia.
Then Nose called shotgun, and he and Jason fought over who should get to sit in the front. Jason’s argument was that he was carrying a gun; therefore he should get the shotgun position by default without ever having to call it. Nose countered that Jason’s gun was technically a hunting rifle, not a shotgun, therefore his argument was invalid and Nose should get the front seat. Marcus pointed out that neither a guy in a ski mask, or a country boy armed with a rifle, were probably the best choice for most-visible front-seat passenger, and I began to understand why he’d gotten a van with darkened back windows. In the end, he assigned Jason and Nose to sit all the way in the back. Yale and Passion sat in the middle, and Marcus drove with me riding shotgun.
I started nodding off almost as soon as we turned onto the highway. Given normal circumstances, I was a drowsy passenger. One of my dad’s nicknames for me had been Sleepy Gonzales, because I’d always fallen asleep so fast in the car whenever we traveled. It didn’t help the situation that I’d slept like crap the night before, and I also hadn’t sat in a comfy, cushioned, leather anything for way too long. It just felt so damn good. Camp life had definitely worn on me more than I’d realized.
I was just beginning to drool against the window when Marcus suddenly swerved off the interstate onto a dirt road.
“What the hell?” I asked, gripping the dash with my gloved hands and glancing frantically in the side view mirror, expecting to see a caravan of CAMFers in hot pursuit.
“Just a quick stop to pick up some supplies,” Marcus said, avoiding my gaze.
When we passed an old wooden sign that read “Warren Gun Club” I stared at him until he looked at me.
“We all need to know how to protect ourselves,” he said, staring back at the road. “Not just Jason.”
I wanted to argue, but I really couldn’t. I had always disliked guns, but I’d disliked seeing Marcus get shot in Greenfield even more. The CAMFers tended to come well-armed, and who knew what kind of opposition we were going to face in Indy?
Marcus pulled the van up to an old farm house, a long low building next to it stretching into the endless fields of rural Indiana. Just as he shut the ignition off, a thick man in dirty coveralls came out of the long building, shotgun in hand, moving toward u
“As soon as I close my door, lock the van,” Marcus said, handing me the keys, “and get in the driver’s seat. Don’t get out, under any circumstances, unless I tell you to. And, if something goes wrong, drive away.”
“Wait!” I said, but he was already out, slamming the door behind him.
He walked slowly around to the front of the van, arms out to show he had no weapon.
The guy with the shotgun was advancing on him, and two more guys had come out of the farmhouse, guns in hand. Their stance, their mannerisms, their dress, everything about them screamed CAMFers. What the hell was Marcus doing driving us right into the very threat we’d worked so hard to avoid?
“Fuck,” I said, clicking the button on the key ring to lock the van, the little chirp it made completely at odds with the adrenaline and anger surging through me. Marcus could have warned me we were doing something stupid today. I looked back and saw the shock on the other’s faces as they peered out the windows of the van. So, he hadn’t told anyone. Well, he wasn’t the only one who could bark orders.
“Jason, I need you up here, right now, with your weapon,” I said, sliding across to the driver’s seat and putting the keys in the ignition. “Nose, can you reach the other guns?”
“I can try,” Nose said, diving down to rummage for them.
Jason slid into the seat next to me, rifle in hand, and I tried not to show my surprise that he’d actually listened to me.
“Let them see it,” I told him, “but don’t point it at anyone. Yet.”
Jason nodded and made his rifle as visible as possible.
Outside, Marcus had moved further away from the van, still in front of it though.
The three gun-toting country boys were nearly upon him, and I cracked my window just as the one in the front said, “You David?”
That surprised me more than the fact that we had just pulled up to a CAMFer gun club. Why would Marcus give these guys his real name? He always went by Marcus, and he’d obviously gone to the trouble to get us all fake IDs, including himself. Why not use his new identity? What was he thinking?
“I’m David,” he confirmed, “and we’ve come unarmed, as specified.”
“That one has a gun,” Shotgun said, gesturing at Jason.
Marcus turned and looked at us, frowning. He turned back and said, “It’s not loaded. I emptied it myself this morning.”
I looked at Jason, and he looked at me. Then he yanked open the chamber of the gun, and showed it to me. It was empty.
“Do you have any ammo on you?” I asked him.
“No,” Jason shook his head, looking more pissed off than I’d seen him look in a long time, and he usually looked pissed.
Shit. We were screwed. We both turned and looked back out at Marcus.
“How do we know you’re who you say you are?” Shotgun asked, his buddies grunting in Neanderthal agreement behind him.
“Come and see,” Marcus said, gesturing Shotgun forward.
At first, I didn’t understand. I thought Shotgun was just getting a better look at Marcus’s face or something. He walked up to him, his gun held up between them, and gestured at Marcus’s chest with it.
Marcus reached down and began to unbutton his shirt.
Jason went stiff in the seat next to me. You could have heard a pin drop in that van. No, you could have heard a feather drop. This could not be happening. Marcus didn’t reveal his PSS to anyone. He hadn’t even told me about it until I’d seen him come back from the dead, and at that point, he’d pretty much had no choice.
I jammed the keys into the ignition of the van and turned it on. I thrust the stick into drive, and with one foot on the brake and one on the gas, I revved the engine.
Marcus paused in unbuttoning his shirt and glanced at me, looking annoyed. Then he turned back, resuming his little striptease.
Shotgun and his buddies were eyeing me, but they couldn’t seem to keep their eyeballs from straying back to Marcus.
They were all right there in front of me. I could take them out like bowling pins. Yes, Marcus might get hurt in the process, but probably not fatally, and he could always reboot. The hillbilly brothers might get off a shot or two, but Marcus wasn’t a complete idiot. I had noticed earlier that the tiny little labels on the van’s windows indicated they were not only tinted, they were also bulletproof.
I revved the engine again.
Marcus got to the last button at the top of his shirt, and it fell open.

I'm so excited for this book to come out!

Profile Image for Mieneke.
782 reviews84 followers
January 1, 2014
Ghost Hold is the second book in the PSS Chronicles after Ghost Hand and continues the story of Olivia Black and friends in their struggle to remain safe from those who would do them harm. It's very much a middle book, as it doesn't really standalone. We start the novel weeks after the ending of Ghost Hand and end it on a huge cliff hanger with not much explanation of what has gone before in-between, which means that it's necessary to have read Ghost Hand before starting Ghost Hold and when you finish it you'll really want to start book three immediately when it is released next year.

We re-join Olivia, Marcus, and the rest of the group when they arrive fresh of the trail in Indiana to go and rescue Samantha James, the next name on the CAMFer list. Marcus has arranged a place for them to stay and new false identities which they will use as cover. We quickly get the lay of the land within the group, with Marcus and Olivia only having grown closer and Olivia and Passion still awkward around each other due to the events of the previous book. And as ever the three boys, Jason, Yale, and Nose orbit around them being mostly attached to Marcus. Olivia is still her loveable, snarky self. I liked the way Patton played out her relationship with Marcus. She keeps it interesting, without letting Olivia sliding too far into the apologetic girlfriend role. She makes Olivia – and Passion for that matter – stand up for herself and demand to be treated with respect. But Olivia's development in this book isn't all about the boy. She discovers some pretty shocking things about her family's past and she discovers that she's spread her wings and can't return to her small-town home in Greenfield.

Marcus' secretive nature is starting to work against him in Ghost Hold, when time and again Olivia catches him in an outright lie or a lie by omission. While at first Olivia tries to rationalise them to herself, blaming them on Marcus' troubled past and the need he's had for secrecy in the past, but slowly it just becomes too much and she calls him out on it. And she's not the only one who's questioning Marcus' decisions; when he decides to have all of them armed and taught to shoot, Yale doubts whether that's a wise decision. The unquestioning obedience from the first book is gone. I really liked Passion's development more than Marcus'. We really get to know her and her past and there are some surprising revelations from the pastor's daughter, one of the major ones is that she is a lesbian. The only thing I found a little disappointing in this regard was that where Patton stayed away from the insta-love thing with Marcus and Olivia, she lets Passion and Samantha fall in love instantly. Or perhaps more accurately they crush instantly, but the attraction is immediate and mutual and they're an item in about half a day. I understand that because this novel takes place in the space of two weeks at the most, there wasn't much time to develop this burgeoning relationship in, but I really don't like this instant relationship trope.

One other thing I found problematic was the fact that a lot of the elements established in the first book are treated as known fact. The reader never gets a refresher on some fairly important things. For example, we know the CAMFers are bad news, but why and who they are exactly is never really repeated. Similarly, there is a list of PSS kids who the CAMFers are trying to snatch, but we never get a clear recap of this. I dislike it when authors feel the need to give bio's for every character we re-encounter each book, but at the same time Patton's approach is completely minimalistic and that's a bit too far to the other extreme for my taste.

Still, despite those problems, I had a great time with Ghost Hold. I loved how Patton further developed her world and how she went about creating relationships and friendships between Olivia, Marcus, Passion and the three boys. The story was thrilling and Patton threw in some twists that are absolutely delicious. And the biggest twist of all comes right at the end, which leads to my biggest complaint: I'll have to wait at least till the autumn to read how this ends and I want to know now! *stomps foot like a two-year-old in a tantrum* Seriously, the PSS Chronicles are great fun and super-fast reads. If Ghost Hold sounds appealing make sure you've read Ghost Hand first to get the most out of the story.

This book was provided for review by the author.
Profile Image for Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads).
710 reviews182 followers
March 24, 2014

At A Glance
Wow, this story is getting interesting. I loved the new characters. But the action was kind of lacking.

The Good
Ghost Hold starts off a couple weeks after Ghost Hand. The group has made it to the next stop to save another PSS teenager, Samantha from falling into the hands of the CAMFers. But they are not prepared for the cult brainwashing Passion into staying and the cracks forming within the group.

Olivia has grown since the last book. She is still scared, still unsure, but she is also fighting back, sticking up for herself and her right to know the truth. I love how she is more strategic and ready for battle. I felt bad for her as the group stared to fall apart a little. Who can Olivia really trust? That is always the question in the back of my mind when reading these books.

Marcus was almost as mysterious as before. He is obviously still hiding things, things that can get people killed. I know I was all "death to Jason" the last book, but he actually grew on me in Ghost Hold. I kind of trusted him more than anyone else. The rest of the group is a bit iffy for different reasons. I loved the "fresh meat." We met a lot of new PSS teens who all have really cool ghost-like body parts. Some were annoying, some were cool, some are still a mystery.

I am still fascinated by Ripley's supernatural aspect. The ghost body parts is so unique and crazy to learn about. These PSS people have a lot more power than I ever realized. It's a scary but exciting thought.

I am still happy with this series and can't wait for the next book. The cliffhanger was killer but it only makes me want to read book three even faster. The last 10% of this book is fast paced, heart pounding, and devastating. And I loved every minute of it.

The Bad
I feel like the plot and story were more exciting in Ghost Hand. Ghost Hold had a lot of downtime and I found myself getting a little bored in some spots. Not enough happened for me, especially with it being on the short side.

Also, if what was revealed about Marcus at the end of this book is true, then I don't see how we can ever forgive him. He's lied too much for my taste and I am losing interest in him as the love interest.

The Snuggly
Marcus and Olivia have a lot of falling outs in this book. I am totally on Olivia's side 'cause Marcus is being an asshat. If he can't trust Olivia to tell her the truth, then he doesn't deserve her. But when they are "on" I love them together. So cute.

Very YAish but we do get some steamy scenes, literally, like steamy as in taking a bath together steamy. :)

Final Thoughts
I'd say Ghost Hold is just as good as Ghost Hand. There is room for improvement but no one can deny how unique and fun this story it. Any paranormal reader will be thrilled with this series. Very recommended.

Quotes

Free book from author for honest review
Profile Image for Sahar Sabati.
Author 17 books24 followers
December 4, 2013
I am extremely unhappy with author Ripley Patton, for I am forced to wait another couple of months before the third and last installment of the PSS Chronicles. She hooked me with the first installment, Ghost Hand (read my review here), got me addicted with Ghost Hold, the second installment, and now, I have to wait for the third one to find out what is going to happen to Olivia, Marcus, Passion, Samantha, and the rest of the gang.

Just like with its predecessor, Ghost Hold captured me from the first page and was very hard to put down, even briefly. Those of us who read the work of independent authors know that oftentimes, independent authors only think they can write. Out of those who write well, some produce a great first book out of beginner’s luck. But in Patton’s case, the quality of the writing in Ghost Hold demonstrates that Ghost Hand was a by-product of talent that manages to avoid many common, first time sequel author mistakes. For example, sequels can often be weighed down by unnecessary repetition. This is not the case with Ghost Hold, which manages to be just as fast-paced, to include as many tense moments and action packed sequences, to have as much dry humor, and to explore further the important social issue of accepting differences, in a manner just as fresh and engaging as its prequel.

PSS stands for “Psyche Sans Soma”, which I understand as the psychic presence of a missing body part. In lieu of your typical human hand, seventeen-year old Olivia Black was born with one made of luminous, delicate, yet strong filaments of blue energy. Just like with anything that is slightly different from the defined norm, a shady organization known as “Citizens Against Minus Flesh”, or CAMF, is still after Olivia and her friends, who also have PSS. As the group of fugitives continues their mission, we find out more about them, including the potential that Marcus might not be as selfless as he appears to be. His secretive behavior finally gets in the way of his relationship with Olivia; I will let you find out if the couple of makes it or not

The story brings both a deeper understanding of the characters by zooming in on them, and a broader understanding of the context by looking at the context within which the action is taking place. Zooming out from the group of teenagers brought together by Marcus, Ghost Hold touches on some of the societal forces acting on them. Ripley Patton manages to explain the broader context without incurring a typical challenge of sequels, that is to say, plot holes and contradictions. We find out more about many things encountered in Ghost Hand, such as the circumstances around which Olivia’s father painted the portrait of The Other Olivia, Marcus’ childhood and the circumstances of the death of his parents, and Passion’s story, to name but a few.

Again like with the first installment, I see great potential for this book to be book club material. The exploration of the topic of “the other” that was started in Ghost Hand continues in Ghost Hold, and yet again, the author never adopts an authoritative or preaching voice. I also liked the concept of letting go of one’s fears to be able to embrace one’s powers fully.

By contributing yet another quality work of fiction aimed at a young adult audience that could, in its pages, find the inspiration often needed to navigate through sensitive years in a turbulent work, Ripley Patton is making good uses of the proceeds of her Kickstarter fundraising campaign. But seriously, have mercy on us, Ripley, and finish the third installment sooner rather than later!
Profile Image for Chiara.
868 reviews220 followers
June 21, 2016
There is one word to describe Ghost Hold, and that is awesome. Really, Ghost Hold was just awesome.

At the end of Ghost Hand, Olivia has decided to join Marcus and the boys, in order to find the other kids with PSS, and to try and run from the CAMFers. In Ghost Hold, they are trying to find Samantha James, but everything is a lot more complicated than they anticipated.

Ghost Hold was action-packed. You were constantly questioning who you could trust, and who you couldn’t. There were so many questions swimming around my mind, and just when I thought I had most of the answers, another huge reveal would make itself known to Olivia. I loved this non-stop suspense and action; it kept me interested, and wanting to read more and more until I finished the book. I always love that feeling.

I love Marcus and Olivia together, and the problems they had in Ghost Hold saddened me. I don’t want them to not trust each other, or fight. But they’re teenagers in a pretty crazy situation, so I can’t exactly blame them. But, I am a sucker for happily ever after, and I really hope these two get that, because they more than deserve it.

One thing I really enjoyed about Ghost Hold was how we delved deeper into the world of PSS, what it can do, and what it may involve in the future. I love this phenomenon that Patton has created. It is unique, and believable, and awesome. I love the thought that people can have pretty blue glowy limbs that have special powers.

We are introduced to a PSS cult, The Hold, in this novel. Cults are an interest of mine, and I am always amazed at how they can persuade people to do their bidding, and keep them believing. The Hold was no different. I found this ‘cult’ extremely interesting, and I hope we can learn even more about its past, and what it wants with people with PSS. Are they good, or are they bad?

Again, the characters in Ghost Hold are well developed, believable, and diverse. I care for the ones I am supposed to care for; I hate the ones I am supposed to hate. Patton has a real art for creating characters that you can relate to, and believe in. I think the characters are my favourite aspect of The PSS Chronicles.

The ending of Ghost Hold left me bereft. So many things happened in such a short time. Characters are lost, others are taken, and there are ones that we have no idea what has happened to them. I desperately want the third book in The PSS Chronicles ASAP. I need to know what has happened to everyone, and what are truths, and what are lies. It’s killing me not knowing!

One thing that I would like to mention is that before book blogging, I had never read an indie or self published book in my life. And now, I read them more than any other kind of book. I am so happy I started book blogging, because it has given me the opportunity to read amazing books that I would never have read otherwise, like Ghost Hold. I loved this book, and I am so glad that I started book blogging, because I have had the chance to read Ghost Hold, and many others like it.

© 2014, Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity . All rights reserved.
Profile Image for Richa.
430 reviews141 followers
September 15, 2013
Originally posted at City of Books

I had been waiting to read Ghost Hold ever since I finished Ghost Hand in May, and now that I've read it, I can honestly say it's absolutely amazing! There's loads of action, of course, and quite a lot of surprises. It was intriguing to read about The Hold and what it represents, as well as everyone's role in it.

The PSS kids have found a safe house (Marcus's old house) to stay in while on the run from CAMFers, as well as to talk to Samantha James about her PSS. But when Olivia and Passion go undercover, what they find is nothing like what they expected. There are secrets everywhere, and it's getting harder and harder for Olivia to trust - even those close to her.

Olivia's become more comfortable around the guys now, but not so much around Passion. Initially, at least. They do spend a lot of time together later, and get to know each other better. Olivia and Marcus become closer, too, but at the same time further apart. Marcus is still holding back secrets from Olivia, and she resents that. I really liked Olivia in this book - she hasn't lost herself in any way, and she's dealing with everything really well. She's still as strong and determined as ever.

Marcus is still quite an enigma, but we find out more about his past in this book, which I loved. We find out about his connection to The Hold, as well as other things too. I don't agree with they way Marcus kept such huge secrets from Olivia, secrets that concerned her, but I understand him. We get to see him and Olivia together a lot more, and there's quite a bit of romance. I love how protective Marcus is of Olivia! But there are also fights. Marcus and Olivia have their ups and downs, and they're both stubborn so they tend to disagree quite a lot. But it's clear how much they care about each other.

I didn't care much for Passion in Ghost Hand, but she has a much bigger role in Ghost Hold. We find out some unexpected things about Passion, and I definitely never saw them coming! She's the reason Samantha accepts the newcomers so willingly, and she does a lot to help the gang reach out to Samantha. Speaking of Samantha, I really liked her too. She has a great sense of leadership, which you'll probably only appreciate later on. She's talented, she's kind, and she cares. I really admire her, and I hope to see more of her in the next book.

I love how fast-paced this book is. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time, and I was so engrossed in reading this. I know I've mentioned this already, but the surprises in this book are incredible! I was left reeling at quite a few of them. Especially one particular bomb dropped towards the end. It makes me want to pick up the next book right now! What an ending. I have no doubt that this series is just going to get better, and if you haven't picked up Ghost Hand yet, you really really need to.

*Thank you to Ripley Patton for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 4.5/5
Profile Image for Jess at Such a Novel Idea.
597 reviews178 followers
June 17, 2016
STOP BY SUCH A NOVEL IDEA UNTIL 10/31 TO WIN E-BOOK COPIES OF THE SERIES!

For this review and more, visit Such A Novel Idea!

When Ripley first contacted me to review Ghost Hand, I was pretty intrigued. By the end of the book, I was a tad obsessed, so when I got the chance to beta read Ghost Hold, I was jumping up and down with excitement.

And I've got to tell you, book two does NOT disappoint. It is packed with snark, action, and a lot of awesome story telling.

Olivia and Marcus' relationship remains complicated, which I really liked. One of the reasons this book series is so successful in my eyes is how realistic everything seems. I mean the science fiction was so incredibly done I had to check it wasn't a real phenomenon (and I'm not alone as you'll see in Ripley's interview)! But also, the interactions are real: they are messy, complicated, and confusing. Living with a bunch of teens on your own, including your boyfriend may not be most teenager's experience, but I think they will relate to the relationships between Olivia and the other characters. She and Passion don't hit it off and things are awkward. This is really intuitive on Ripley's part and speaks a lot to the complex character of Olivia.

This book is much darker and more complicated than the first. Even though we know more about this world going into book two, there is a lot of back story that we learn as Ghost Hold progresses. We find out things that set up a much darker plot line as the story progresses. There are also a lot of layers to the book, and they are interwoven perfectly.

I also really liked Passion's story. At first I was kind of "eh" about where I thought her place in the book would be, but of course Ripley went in a completely different direction.

This book on the surface is about these teens trying to save others with PSS; however, when you look deeper, there is a lot of introspection about how we treat people who are different. I mean, even Olivia's mom is upset by her PSS. Although we see a lot of discrimination of PSS in book one, we see a LOT of acceptance and reverence of it in book two. It is interesting to see the power struggle between the two and the organizations behind them.

The end of the book is suspenseful, engaging, and heartbreaking. I was COMPLETELY caught off guard and I may or may not have cried a little. Ripley has an amazing gift and I can't get enough of her work. She breaks norms and patterns of YA and keeps you on your toes as a reader. As someone who reads A LOT, I wholly appreciate this quality.

Wanna know what I thought of Ghost Hand, book one in the PSS Chronicles? Find out here!
Profile Image for Lola.
1,468 reviews242 followers
August 24, 2014
I got a copy in exchange for an honest review

Ghost Hold starts of a bit slow, I didn't re-read Ghost Hand and some parts where a bit confusing at first. It took me some time to remember what Olivia and her friends where doing and why they where there. After the confusion was cleared up and the pace picked up I couldn't put it down. I just wanted to keep reading and find out what was going to happen next. There is enough recap to remember the reader what happened in the first book, but not too much that it feel repetitive.

Ghost Hold is a fast paced book full of action. There is always something going on or happening. There is no dull moment and this book definitely had that keep-reading-feel. Ghost Hold again reminded me what I loved about Ghost Hand and Ripley her writing style. It's story focussed, but there also is room for character development. The world and story is really original. And Ghost Hold is even better than Ghost Hand. The writing is done really well, I was constantly wondering who to believe and speculating about who did something. And then when I thought I had it all figured out something happened that made me doubt again. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger and makes me eager for the next book.

While the focus is on the story there is also enough room for the characters. The story mostly focusses on Olivia, Passion and Marcus. Sadly this made it hard to remember who the side characters where and even at the end of the book I had no good idea of who the other characters where that traveled with them. I really liked getting to know Passion better, she really is an interesting character and we learn a lot about her in this book. She really surprised me a few times and in the first book I never suspected her to play such a big part in this one.

Ghost Hold adds enough to the world to keep it interesting, but there are no info dumps which slow the story down. The world information is woven through the story and provided where it makes sense. Gradually we learn even more about PSS. I really like the originality of the PSS idea and I think Ripley did a great job to make it all believeable and it alsmost feels so real like this could actually happen.

To conclude: I really enjoyed Ghost Hold, it was even better than the first book. Ghost Hold is fast paced and full of action. There is no dull moment and while the focus is on the story there also enough room for character development and world building. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger and makes me want to read the next book now!
Profile Image for Mike.
Author 45 books153 followers
May 13, 2014
I greatly enjoyed the first book in this series (which you need to read first; there's not much recap or explanation of the situation, even to the point of not defining key terms like "PSS" or "CAMFers"). I enjoyed this one somewhat less, for a couple of reasons which may turn out to be at least partly moot when the third book comes out.

Firstly, there's a massive coincidence. The author even hangs a lampshade on it and has her first-person main character remark on how much of a coincidence it is. The group go to a city in another state, and not only does it happen to be the city where her best friend's brother attends college, but they happen to meet him completely at random. I'm not sure if it makes it better or worse that the meeting doesn't really do anything except add more angst to an already angsty situation.

(Oh, while I think of it, this girl who's never dated and considers herself unattractive is pursued by three different boys simultaneously. Fortunately, this is her main claim to Mary Sueness.)

The other thing that reduced my enjoyment (and this partly is a personal preference) is that the tragedy dial suddenly gets turned up extra-high near the end. I probably could have dealt with it better if it had been more gradual. As it was, things were going along, not really well, but no worse than in the first book, and then as if in a rush became significantly worse in all possible ways - and that's where we leave our heroine.

As I say, I expect at least some of the tragedy to get reversed and resolved in the course of the third book (or else I'll be very vexed indeed), and there may even be some explanation for the coincidence, though I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Apart from those issues, I did enjoy this. Olivia's snark is in full flight, with observations like "the one thing Samantha was insecure about was her security," which I thought was clever. Her reactions to the situations she finds herself in are convincingly teenage without being pathetic; she's tough, but she's far from heartless. Things matter to her, and she's driven by them into bad situations, which is a great way to create a story.

I'm definitely looking forward to the third book, and some answers.

I obtained a copy of this book via Netgalley for purposes of review.
Profile Image for Paula.
199 reviews8 followers
November 4, 2013
R2R (LoP) : Ghost Hold

I received a free copy, through LoP, in exchange for a review.

And then it starts, again. The story picks back up, with Olivia and her unusual band of people. They are not necessarily friends, but they have one thing in common, PSS. After running, from the CAMFers, they are onto their next goal; to save and convince Samantha James the danger she is in and to come with them. But, this is not as easy as it seems and Marcus is not being exactly truthful about everything, making it harder on Olivia to make heads or tails of things. Samantha's father is part of The Hold, another type of faction, like the CAMFers, but it's more based in the religion of PSS. With this interesting turn of events, all she knows is that they have to try to convince Samantha to come away with them, learn more about her own PSS power and why it does what it does and to help the rest of the group, without getting caught. It should be easy enough, right?

“It's a long story. A long complicated story, but the whole thing kind of started with my grandparents. They were both full-blooded Tenino People; that's a Native American tribe back in Oregon. They were shamans – Spirit-walkers, they called themselves. And they both came to this belief that humanity would evolve into pure spirit beings, that we would lose out husks of flesh and become creatures of light and energy, not in the next world, but in this one. Their teachings began to spread, mostly within the Tenino and a few other tribes, but that was way before I was born when my mom was a kid. I don't think they really meant to start a religion. They were just listening to the spirits of their ancestors. But when babies started being born with PSS, things got out of hand.”

I was so excited when I got this and it did not disappoint! The characters are becoming more evolved and with that, you really understand the sense of urgency within this story. There were a few twists that I was not expecting at all, making it that much more if an interesting read. Of course, I cannot wait for the next installment! Great job again!
Profile Image for The Book Beacon.
86 reviews6 followers
September 30, 2013
It is always a challenge to avoid spoilers from the first book when reviewing other titles in a series. You should know, however, Olivia and her friends have PSS, Psyche Sans Soma, a rare birth defect affecting one or more areas of the body. A few people with PSS have exhibited extraordinary powers that adversaries would like to exploit for personal gain. To avoid capture, Olivia joined a group hiding from the bad guys. Led by hottie Marcus, the gang plans to locate unsuspecting victims before the baddies do.

Olivia’s fast-paced adventure continues with plenty of action, comedy and surprises. Olivia and her friends are embarking on their mission to find others with PSS, Olivia, Marcus & Co. relocate to Indianapolis and go undercover to rescue Samantha James, a girl who has embraced her PSS. Her “special ear” has made Samantha a musical prodigy. She is successful, popular, and the daughter of the man who runs The Hold, an organization that reveres PSS so much it can be considered cult-like worship. Samantha is in no hurry to hide from anyone. In fact, she thinks The Hold can help her would-be rescuers more than they could ever help her. As Olivia learns more about The Hold and what they believe, she begins to question what she knows to be true – much of which came from Marcus.

Can The Hold protect her or are they another enemy trying to abuse people with PSS? Nothing about the story is predictable, and for every answer there are more questions. Passion, a character, from Book 1, is an important piece of the puzzle, and the manner in which truth is revealed is as awesome as the revelations. It is (in my opinion) paranormal done right: a supernatural tale with authentic depictions of fear, love and betrayal. Each character is going through very real emotions – coming of age while coming to terms with the hand they were dealt – all while on the run for their lives. The action scenes balance very well with the internal struggles. Really good stuff.

I was given an advanced copy of Ghost Hold for this honest review.
Profile Image for Vrinda Pendred.
Author 15 books60 followers
July 30, 2014
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review, via Lovers of Paranormal on GoodReads.

I want to start by saying how much I was looking forward to this after reading 'Ghost Hand'. However, I must admit it took me a long time to get into this sequel. I think it was around chapter 5 when I finally connected to it. Then I was gripped and couldn't put it down. I was really interested in the new turn the story took. There were new mysteries raised that left me dying to know what it all meant.

However. I felt like by the end of this book, not a single mystery from book 1 or 2 got answered. I felt like there should have been something, at least, revealed in this book. Not the whole thing, no, but something. Instead, there were just new questions raised. It got a bit complicated and, in my view, messy.

Even so, my biggest issue was the last few chapters. Out of nowhere, a certain character comes in and creates the staple love triangle of any paranormal romance series. He's not someone we've ever actually seen before, and when we did hear about it in book 1, nothing big was made of it, yet he suddenly declares out of the blue that he's madly in love with our heroine and gets a bit ugly about it. I added a note on my Kindle that just read, 'Random.' I didn't understand the need for it. Then it was forgotten about and the story moved on, and that character didn't feature in the rest of the book. Why was he even there?

I also found the flipping back and forth thing with Marcus a bit tiresome. It seemed like every chapter there was a new lie he'd told. If I were Olivia, I would have left him days ago. I was struggling to understand what she loved about him...and just wondering when we were going to learn why the razor blades had power.

So this wasn't perfect, for me. But then, as I say, nothing seemed to get answered, and I still want to know what's going on. So I'll be reading book 3. Thank you to the author for sharing this with me.

Profile Image for Michael Alltop.
10 reviews1 follower
May 12, 2014
“Trust no one.” It’s not a very good motto by which to live one’s life, but in the case of Olivia Black, it may be the only thing that rings true. In the second installment of Ripley Patton’s PSS Chronicles, friendships turn deadly, love breeds fear, the dead appear in the flesh, and the living seem to disappear for good. The one sure thing is the persistence of evil, embodied in the cool and calculating Dr. Fineman, whose army of CAMFers plot to harness the power of PSS—or eliminate those who resist.

Ghost Hold opens with an arms deal and ends with an epic, bloody battle that almost no one except Olivia survives. Between these two events, Olivia wrestles with love and doubt as she tries to figure out the true intent of Marcus—whether, in fact, he loves her or is manipulating her in the service of some larger scheme. Marcus and his three-man PSS crew (Nose, Yale, and Jason) are scheming, to be sure. And Olivia and her reluctant partner Passion are pawns in a game that requires them to walk directly into the lion’s den of Edgemont High School. The mission: befriend Samantha James and extract her from the clutches of the cult-like Hold before the CAMFers come calling to extract her PSS.

But Samantha James is a force to be reckoned with. Samantha James has a mission of her own, one that involves her passion for Passion and intent to seize power of the Hold through a rapturous, revolutionary gathering called the Eidolon. Not everything goes according to plan—not for Marcus, Olivia, or Samantha—and to say that all hell breaks loose is to understate the shocking violence faced by the teenagers as each of their missions spins wildly out of control.

Patton delves deep into the psyche of Olivia Black and breaks the surface with a plot that churns with love, lust, doubt, intrigue, shifting loyalties, double-crosses, murder, and revenge. It is a compelling tale, breathlessly told. Similar to the way the Hold keeps many with PSS under its sway, Patton’s Ghost Hold grips the reader and never lets go.
Profile Image for Mlpmom (Book Reviewer).
2,976 reviews363 followers
September 8, 2013
4.5 Stars!
As some of you may know that follow my Indie Book of the Week posts, I featured the first book in this series Ghost Hand on my blog as an Indie Book of the Week so it should be no surprise that the second book, Ghost Hold, which was just as fabulous, is making the rounds as this weeks Indie Book of the Week.

Once again Patton has managed to create something totally unique and fun that is action packed with just the right dose of romance to truly make this a stand out series.

If possible Ghost Hold was even better than the first. Olivia is just as feisty and stubborn as ever. She is learning more about herself, PSS, The CAMPers, the Hold and of course those around her. Who she can trust and who she can't are still never clear to her and as she gets to know the people around her, her life, her family, her friends, it gets that much more complicated and confusing. Some things are never quite what they seem and Olivia is growing stronger because of it. I would like to say that Olivia always makes the right choices, the smart choices but she doesn't. But then again, neither does Marcus and because of his secrets, she ends up getting herself into more trouble that she should be.

Ah Marcus. Oh how that boy infuriates me at the same time that he makes me love him.

Secrets. He has so many of them and even though he does open up to Olivia, he still keeps a lot from her. Stuff that hurts their trust in one way or another, stuff that hurts their relationship.

The initiation of Passion into the group and their quest to find others with PSS added a whole new element to the story. One more filled with danger, adventure and secrets around every corner.

Patton truly is one of those rare indie authors that knows exactly what she is doing and she does it well.

I can promise you that I will read as many books in this series as she can create because it truly is a stand out series with stand out characters.

Profile Image for Kris.
80 reviews18 followers
September 30, 2013

Olivia's fast-paced adventure continues with plenty of action, comedy and surprises. Olivia and her friends are embarking on their mission to find others with PSS, Olivia, Marcus & Co. relocate to Indianapolis and go undercover to rescue Samantha James, a girl who has embraced her PSS. Her "special ear" has made Samantha a musical prodigy. She is successful, popular, and the daughter of the man who runs The Hold, an organization that reveres PSS so much it can be considered cult-like worship. Samantha is in no hurry to hide from anyone. In fact, she thinks The Hold can help her would-be rescuers more than they could ever help her. As Olivia learns more about The Hold and what they believe, she begins to question what she knows to be true - much of which came from Marcus.

Can The Hold protect her or are they another enemy trying to abuse people with PSS? Nothing about the story is predictable, and for every answer there are more questions. Passion, a character, from Book 1, is an important piece of the puzzle, and the manner in which truth is revealed is as awesome as the revelations. It is (in my opinion) paranormal done right: a supernatural tale with authentic depictions of fear, love and betrayal. Each character is going through very real emotions - coming of age while coming to terms with the hand they were dealt - all while on the run for their lives. The action scenes balance very well with the internal struggles. Really good stuff.
Profile Image for Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books.
500 reviews142 followers
October 18, 2014

I loved this book. It was even better than the first one, which I also loved. Love how Olivia is still stubborn but feisty as usual. In this book learns more about herself, PSS as well as the CAMFer's, the Hold and the others around her. She is still unsure on who she can and can't trust, which just makes it all that more confusing and complicated. Many things are not quite what they seems, and these twist in the story are really interesting and keep you reading.

We also get some new characters that have interesting PSS and powers. I love how we get more info on the characters we already know. I was surprised at some of the things Passion has had to go through. I actually really got to liking Jason as we learn more about him.

This book was suspenseful and packed full of action with many secrets and some steamy romance and betrayal that will shock you. There is a major cliffhanger so you may want to have the 3rd book,Ghost Heart, on hand as you will want to keep reading.

This series is one I highly recommend for anyone looking for something a little different and pull at your heartstrings.

5 out of 5 stars for me.

Others in Series: (Book one is a free ebook download at Amazon and other locations)
Ghost Hand (The PSS Chronicles, #1) by Ripley Patton Ghost Heart (The PSS Chronicles, #3) by Ripley Patton

Profile Image for Tanya Johnson.
271 reviews5 followers
September 29, 2013
I have received an advanced reader’s copy of “Ghost Hold” from the author for my review.

Before you even think about reading Ghost Hold you need to read Ghost Hand…you WILL NOT be disappointed!

Now onto the Ghost Hold

The story picks up with Olivia, Marcus, Passion and the rest of the gang are on the run from the CAMPfer’s who want to extract PSS from anyone who has it. They are on their way to Indianpolis to befriend and hopefully persuade Samantha (she has a PSS Ear) to go with them and to leave The Hold (an organization or group of followers of PSS).

Olivia is in love with Marcus but he keeps things hidden from her, things that could disrupt their mission and because of such Olivia’s feelings waiver. With her distrust in Marcus, will the president of The Hold persuade Passion (big surprise with her) and Olivia to join The Hold or will they continue to be on the run, locating individuals on the CAMPfer’s list?

If you are a follower of my blog, you already know how I feel about Ghost Hand (if not, you can read my review here) and let me tell you Ripley did not disappoint with Ghost Hold. At the end I was left with one word to describe my feelings of the book and that was “OMG!!!!”. It was that good! There were so many surprises from Passion, to Yates, Nose and Jason and ending with Marcus and Olivia.

The action and tension between the gang of kids and the CAMPfer’s continue from Ghost Hand and go all the way up through Ghost Hold. Olivia’s struggle with her PSS hand and the powers that it holds, her feelings for Marcus and the information she finds out while with Samantha regarding The Hold (and her family) is well placed within the story and everything is well written, where you find yourself not putting the book down wanting to find out what happens next!

Definitely grab your copy when the book is released, you will not be disappointed!
Profile Image for Autumn.
2,124 reviews38 followers
October 20, 2014
I received this book to give an honest review.
Now I want to say it has been a year since I have read the first book Ghost Hand and this is a story that just stays with you because it was unique. So when I was asked to read and review as part of a blog tour which my date is for October 20th I had to jump on the band wagon. I hoped that when I read Ghost Hold it was full of action and I wanted to know what is going to happen between Marcus and Olivia.
Let me say I was not disappointed at all!!!
We leave off right where book one ends. Olivia, Marcus, Nose, Jason and Yale along with Passion you know the girl they rescued are all on the run still and tying to find those that have PSS that the CAMFers are trying to get. Marcus has a plan to rescue Samantha but there is more to this than just a simple rescue! Oh yeah totally wasn't ready for what was going to happen. Now Olivia and Marcus are an item but with this mission you really see how their relationship holds up.
There are those within the group that seems to be holding secrets and Olivia is not down for that at all.
The characters are still strong, and you can't help but like them PSS and all! You get to know all the characters a bit more especially Passion. She has more going on to her than just the cutting!!!

This mission to retrieve Samantha is a whole lot more than just a in out job. Secrets come out and lets just say Olivia is the one that the center of it all. I have to say it is always hard for a sequel to hold up to the first book. But Ghost Hold did a great job of holding up on its own. You have suspense, action, a great story plot all rolled into one. Now the ending is not all wrapped up so I know I need to get ready to read book three Ghost Heart to see what is Olivia going to uncover!!! There seems to be more than meets the eye within this book.
Profile Image for Angela Cruz.
233 reviews7 followers
October 23, 2014
This is a young adult, paranormal fantasy. The second book in the series. This book is not a stand alone and picks up where the last book Ghost Hand leaves off. I would recommend this for all ages, especially ones who love unique stories. This book is full of mystery and I never knew what would happen next. I was surprised at some of the outcomes and I can not wait to read the next book.

This book is about Olivia Black and her PSS friends. They have joined together to save any future PSS people from being taken by the CAMFers. There is a list to follow and Samantha James is the next person they are after. Olivia and her friends have to beat the CAMFers to Samantha. Olivia and Passion have to portray that they are cousins in order to get close to Samantha, but Passions well kept secret will be exposed by Samantha. Olivia is in a state of shock and will soon learn that she has more secrets to unravel, some of them are not anything she would ever expect. Can she trust anyone? Was everything a lie?

Favorite passages:
"The van was pulled up to a Wendy's drive-through, bags of warm, amazing-smelling fast food coming though the window like it was Christmas morning at fat camp."
"I certainly wouldn't mind sticking a curtain rod straight through him like a stick through a marshmallow."
"Yale was already crawling under the desk to work on the wiring, his ghostly plumber's crack peeking from the top of his jeans."
"Marcus's parents had died running for their lives, or at least for their love."
"He might have been gone, but I knew he still loved me, and that he would have stayed if he could have." <3
"I want to kiss you so hard right now." <3
"Oh, look who's talking, Casper a**," Nose shot back."
"Marcus, even in this darkness, I try to swim back to you. I swear, I do."

Displaying 1 - 30 of 72 reviews