Start by marking “After the Storm” as Want to Read:
After the Storm

After the Storm

No matter what her family and friends say, Jenny knows she will never fall in love again. How can she, when her childhood sweetheart was one of the countless killed at Waterloo?

So when the Earl of Danfield proposes a marriage of convenience, it seems the perfect solution. He will secure his inheritance, and she will be spared the necessity of being paraded in society, forc
Published February 4th 2013 by Amazon Digital Services LLC (first published November 12th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about After the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Storm

T.M. Payne
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Book: After the Storm
Author: Claudy Conn
Publication Date: 2/4/2013
Reviewed by: Tammy - http://booknooknuts.blogspot.com/
My Rating: 5 Stars
REVIEW

This is a very well written Historical Romance Novel. I fell in love with the characters.

We have Lady Jennifer Ashley who is a robust, cheerful young lady who unfortunately loses her best friend/ and love of her life, and Fiancé Johnny. Or so she thinks he was the love of her life. Johnny’s life is taken while in battle at Waterloo. His best friend Ma
Judy
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After The Storm by Claudy Conn
Jennifer of Ashley Grange had once been a lively and mischievous girl. The past year she was but a shell of herself. Her best friend and fiance, Johnny, had died in the Battle of Waterloo. She would never love again. Instead of facing a Season, she agrees to a marriage of convenience. Can she ever be happy without feeling the guilt that she’s alive and Johnny is dead?

Jason, The Earl of Danfield, has been left no choice. His father’s will would have him married by hi
Dawn Sullivan
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay wow!!! Totally adored this book with a passion. I devoured it.. I couldn't put it down. The whole storyline was great. I enjoyed it. The mystery and suspense kept me glued to my kindle.
This book had it all. Lots of action, emotion, laughs and sizzling passion.

The characters in Claudy's books always stand out. This book was no different.

Jenny is a precious beauty who is in grieving for her lost love. She really doesn't understand what she is feeling when this new man shows up in her life.
Theresa
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sudsy soap opera

Shallow, cliched characterization and the usual trite misunderstandings intertwined with a not very challenging 'mystery' make for a quick, but not very interesting read. I know Claudy Cohn to be more talented that this book indicates. Had this been the first book of hers that I read, I wouldn't have read any more.
Juuli
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Listened to the story while stacking the firewood. Didn't like the narrator's voice very much (some character voices were rather good but the others were annoying as hell) but the story was quite decent. It had a bit of mystery I actually liked. The romance part felt too much of an instalove for me to enjoy it to the fullest. Still, short and sweet.
I'll probably try another Claudy Conn's book in future.
Franjessca
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review also posted on Book Lovin' Mamas

I will say it over and over again...I LOVE Claudy Conn's historical romance books. They are seriously addicting and make it feel like you go back to a time where men literally swept women off their feet.
"After the Storm" is a novel about Jenny and how she has lost her childhood sweetheart, Johnny during Waterloo. She has told herself, she will never love another person again due to the fear of losing them.
Although, it will be kind of hard for her to not fal
Mackenzie
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
When Jennifer Ashley lost her childhood friend/fiance, Johnny, in the battle of Waterloo, she felt as if she couldn't move on. For over a year she mourned his loss while her father, aunt and close friends Lavinnia and Mac watched her wither away. When her father makes a decision to push her back into life by sending her to London for the next Season, part of her wants to come back to life but another part of her wants to remain true to Johnny's memory.

At a small dinner party, Jenny is introduce
Tiffany
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have grown to really love Claudy Conn’s short historical romance books. They are usually ~200 pages and actually quite predictable as far as the major plot lines. There is a despicable rake who encounters a refreshing young chit and at first they do not get along, but eventually grow quite fond of each other and then of course love. The rake isn’t so despicable after all and the young chit shows grit and fortitude. There is always some danger lurking about and of course the must-needed happy e ...more
A.R. Von
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anyone that knows my reading preferences knows I’m not a huge fan of historical. Actually Claudy is the third author I find myself being pulled to in this genre. After the Storm is a sweet, touching, romantic, mysterious and fun read that all fans of the genre will definitely enjoy. Actually, I find I can say that even readers that are NOT fans of the genre will enjoy it :)

Jenny’s story is a sad one. She lost her best friend and fiancée to battle and has not recovered from it. She swears she wil
Betty
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jenny Ashley has lost her childhood sweetheart and fiance, Johnny of Southwich, at Waterloo and vows to never love again. At her home Ashley Grange, she is taking a walk and is accosted by a handsome Corinthian-Jason, the Earl of Danfield-who has to marry or lose his inheritance. He doesn't believe in love and wants a marriage of convenience. He decides on Jenny since she vowed she would never love again. She agrees since it'll be a marriage of convenience and feels she'll never love again and s ...more
Delphina
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Jenny is young and feels alone. After losing her fiance at Waterloo she does not seem to be able to move on. In come the Earl of Danfield with an offer that will help them both. Their feelings for each other grow and an HEA looks on the horizon until a couple of "pranks" occur leading Jenny to believe she may not be safe. Who can she trust? Her heart, her husband, her in-laws, her friends?

I loved this historical. Romance, mystery, and a lovable heroine make this unputdownable read one of my favo
Melanie Tikalsky
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jenny Ashley is mourning the loss of her best friend and fiancee Johnny when she meets a rake that dares to take the liberty if a kiss from her upon first sight. Lord Danfield awakens something Jenny has never felt even with her Johnny.

Jason Danfield must marry before his 29th birthday or he will lose his entire inheritance. He sees Ms. Ashley as the perfect solution in a marriage of convenience for she loves another and he only needs a bride.

What happens to convenience when hearts become involv
Ruth
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the Storm was a delightful old-time regency. I love these kinds of regencies, sweet yet with just the right amount of *spice*. This one blended a little mystery/gothic to the mix, so it had a bit of a Victoria Holt feel. My only quibble was that there was not enough between the hero & heroine at the very end during the resolution, when the reader deserves a good *sigh* moment between the two.
Angela Blair
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved this book! The love story between Jason, sexy ladies man who has to marry in order to obtain his inheritance, and Jenny a young beauty coming out of mourning for her fiancee. When these two meet..watch out! Sparks will fly! But it is not smooth sailing for them, murder, maliciousness and way too many suspects!! Claudy Conn is an amazing author!! She hits the mark every single time!!
Lori
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From start to finish I was hooked and found this book impossible to put down. I loved the story that unfolded between Jenny and Jason, and absolutely fell in love with their characters. As always there were twists and turns that you don't expect, and in the end you are left with an incredible story. I definitely recommend this book, and I know you won't be disappointed. :)
Laura J.
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
shallow and boring

The hero and heroine are likable (although Jenny's first encounter with him was uncomfortable) but not very deep. She's a young, cheerful, giggly woman; he's handsome and not much else. The mystery and the revealed villain couldn't save this from being a bore.
Barbara
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well I'm out of Claudy Conn books and I'm sad :( , because I've read them all. Again a great regency, with a fiesty female lead. It is a joy to read her books!
Cenaida
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Liked it very much. It was entertaining.
Vintage
This had many elements that worked: primarily the hero is charming and the heroine is winsome and spirited. That's pretty much it as the story itself jumps the sharks with too many stock characters, dropped side stories, and tropes.

The h is mourning the love of her life who died at Waterloo when she encounters our charming H who plants one on her. Lo and behold, guess who shows up at dinner that evening. The h's father is worried about his daughter's depression and lack of social life this past
bibliolatry
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was a nice story with an interesting plot, but the characters were cartoons and not believable to me. I liked Claudy Conn’s book, Serena, very much, but this one was very heavy handed. Conn wanted us to know the Earl had a good heart, so she had him giving money to a poor child in London, and stayed to watch him after he tossed a coin to him.. The villain was portrayed as a drooling monster at the end of the story, and Jenny was so sweet that she offered to help deliver a baby on her way to h ...more
Joan Osborne
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable romance

I found this to be an enjoyable romance that moved rather quickly from the moment of Jenny and Jason's first meeting. The chemistry between the two of them was evident from the moment they met and I could sense the sparks radiating between them. The mystery as to who was causing the attempts to their lives was an interesting turn to the story but the threats Jason's stepmother made were overly obvious as to who the author wanted you to believe was behind them. It was as if there
Sandra Aaron
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
OK romance, but very predictable

This is an OK romance, but it is very predictable and the couple was annoying. The writing is OK, but there are lots of editing errors. I also felt like the author was telling the story, when I want a book to make me feel as if I am in the story. The mystery was odd, too, in that it seemed there were too many suspects -- and then a surprise at who was guilty. I found the couple a bit annoying, too. There was so much unnecessary angst that could have been avoided i
MeeMee
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Too expensive for this vague short story

I want to give this book more stars but cannot. The summary in “About This Book” was intriguing but I felt the story was just as long as the summary. Cute book, liked it...a little annoyed with the heroine about her lost love on some parts...

My summary:

The met, got married, bad things happened, mystery solved. The end.

I wished for more...
Karen
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Jenny finds a marriage of convenience to the Earl a respite from a season in London. Her fiance', Johnny was killed at Waterloo and she doesn't have the heart to mix and mingle. Jason has to marry before he turns 29 to inherit his late father's estate and title. He has just a few weeks left and needs to find a match quickly.
Stacey Raymond
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
This story had fine pacing to it. But the story was nothing new. I wasn't able to enter this world completely and believe it was almost real. It was a ok read, but not one that I felt moved by, or found myself caring about the characters.
Samantha
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Yup. I'm reading yet another historical romance. It's my mom's fault. When I was a teen, I wasn't reading as much as she wanted so she introduced me to Harlequin romance.

Update: I do enjoy reading this author. Though this book is much shorter than I usually like, it didn't feel like it. Best part is that it didn't feel drawn out. Her characters are a little quirky. Yes, of course it's sappy but the the fight they put up from hating to loving isn't ridiculous. Realization starts to dawn quickly.
Valerie
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book for the most part. However, the ending is frankly disappointing. It's bad, really bad. It's rushed and there are so many loose ends that haven't been tied. That's too bad because it sort of ruins the book since all you think about is that annoying ending.
Cherie
May 18, 2018 added it
Shelves: e-book, free, owned, dnf
The heroine is an emotional mess and as a plot mechanism it's painful. She's hurting him and men do not do well when treated poorly. There are no believable exits out of the corner the author has written herself into.

Done.
Pris
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Fun, frothy and a fast read. Likeable main characters and intriguing storyline. Mystery could have have been developed further and the ending seemed a bit abrupt. Ticks all the boxes for a historical romance without delving too much in the 'historical' side of things.
Jeanne Johnston
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm sure the bitchy stepmother and other villainy was meant to counteract all the perfection, but it was just... too sweet for my taste. Some wrong homonym choices scattered throughout also irritated me. *shrug*
  • Netherby Halls
  • A Deadly Obsession (Seasons of Love, #2)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Devil's Gate Trilogy, #2)
  • Legend of Love (Muse Chronicles, #2)
  • Starblood
  • The Naughty Box
  • Zanaikeyros: Son of Dragons (Pantheon of Dragons, #1)
  • Fading Memories
  • Sweet, Decadent Fire (Breath of Darkness, #2)
  • It's Only Acting
  • Storm (Storm Chronicles #6)
  • Dark & Dangerous
  • Trinity (Brethren, #1)
“One careless black lock fell across his forehead as he bowed” 0 likes
“June 18, 1815, that Wellington met Boney at Waterloo, and her John was lost forever. Mac had been there. He had lived, and while she searched for Johnny, Mac found her. Lieutenant William McMillan had” 0 likes