Start by marking “The Great Succession Crisis (Peers of Beinan, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Great Succession Crisis (Peers of Beinan, #1)

The Great Succession Crisis (Peers of Beinan #1)

If you love history, science, adventure, mystery, romance, and truly original stories, you cannot do better than the Peers of Beinan series. This data-grounded series filled with heraldry draws upon the real experiences of medieval royals and nobles in their pursuit of power, love, and happiness.

The Great Succession Crisis is the subtle coming-of-age story of Princess Anle
Kindle Edition, Extended Edition , 278 pages
Published January 31st 2013 by Laurel A. Rockefeller (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Succession Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Succession Crisis

Kristeen Shuga
Jan 28, 2013 Kristeen Shuga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first, I wasn't sure what to think of this book. I had so many emotions through it that I finally decided that I loved it. I feel like Princess Anlei (the main character of the book) could have been stronger in a sense that the world is on her shoulders. I loved the fact that she (the author) had made up her own world, in which had it's own time, weight, and history. It slowed me down a bit to having to go back and forth from the glossary in order to figure out what I was reading, but otherwi ...more
Jason Crawford
Jul 05, 2013 Jason Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of The Great Succession Crisis by Laurel A. Rockefeller : 3.75/5
I was provided a free copy of this novel in exchange for a review. As always, the following reflects my true opinion of the work.

I rate this book 3.75/5 stars. Here is my breakdown:

Characters: 4.5/5. This is a real strength in this novel. Rockefeller created an intriguing world populated by interesting people. The motivations for the characters are realistic and solid, and the cultures in which they thrive are fascinating to
Susan Riley
Oct 13, 2013 Susan Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book as a gift from the Author. It did not influence my review.

I enjoyed this book, even though it is not my usual genre. The story takes place on the planet Beinan, and involves the ruling Gurun dynasty. The daughter of the queen is unable to succeed the throne, and the Gurun dynasty may be at an end.

The telling of Princess Anlei and Lord Corann was wonderful. I enjoyed reading about their courtship and love.

The only note I found jarring were the use of strange word
Athena Nagel
Nov 22, 2012 Athena Nagel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Great Succession Crisis was very entertaining. It captured my full attention due to its multiple genres it covered - romance, mystery, politics, hope etc...Everyone can certainly find something to enjoy about this book. At the end of the book you can find translations and definitions for all the weights and measures etc...It is the sci-fi weights and measures that really slowed down my reading and staying focused on this story. I don't have a suggestion as to how the author could have procee ...more
Lauren
Nov 01, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Great Succession Crisis I was overjoyed to be tremendously entertained by the compelling characters and magnificently created world. This book had a little bit of everything in it from political drama to mystery to romance. There were a few parts that slowed down the storyline a little but it did not distract from the plot and characters overall.

I also received a companion of sorts to the book as a separate ebook that includes an interesting glossary that was quite helpful.

Note: I receiv
Tina
Jul 17, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the extended edition of the book more than the original edition. The additional details added really helped to flesh out the story.
Squire
Apr 04, 2013 Squire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Poor Princess Anlei. As the oldest child of Queen Isabelle, she is the Crown Princess of Beinan--except for the fact that an ancient law governing the society states that no woman may pass the crown to her daughter. Her younger brother Anwell doesn't want the crown, so a power struggle between the Great Houses of Beinan begins with Anlei as the pawn.

Okay. A story line that has been done before, but still intriguing.

The characters are all arch
Kyra Halland
Kyra's star ratings:
Characters: ****
Story: ***
Writing mechanics: **
Worldbuilding: *****

(I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of giving an honest review.)

The Great Succession Crisis is a science fiction/science fantasy dealing with the question of female inheritance of the throne on the planet Beinan. The most notable thing about the novel is the extensive, deeply-layered, detailed worldbuilding. The author has put a great amount of thought and work into developing Beinan: physics
Soma Rostam "IOB"
Jan 06, 2013 Soma Rostam "IOB" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I am having a very hard time to express my feelings for this book. Since they are so confusing, I appreciated some parts, but didn't know the point of some other parts. So bear with me (as long as you can...)
I am not doing a summery of this, since all the plot is about one little twist, and if I, voluntary or involuntary, write that twist down, it will ruin the whole experience of reading the book. I appreciate the uniqueness of this book. It is pretty obvious, that one of the things Laurel Ro
Haniya (Voracious Bookling)
Review Link: http://booknauthors.blogspot.com/2016...

There were loads of 5 and 4 stars rantings of this book on Goodreads... It seemed like every person was loving it  and I thought I'd love it too. So i started it, totally excited. I only knew that like the series novellas, it will be sci-fi too. Considering, how I liked The Poisoned Ground, I was totally excited.

After finishing 50% of the book I was like 'duh'... I should have stopped earlier because there was nothing interesting.... It's abou
L.L. Watkin
I found this a bit peculiar, a bit like a mash up of a science fiction novel and a history textbook, complete with inserts from a "far future looking back at it all" style narrator, reams of exposition and lengthy appendices covering the author's research into world building aspects. It's clear that the author has given considerable time and energy to creating a complicated and different world, including new weights and measures, religions and hierarchies. She also clearly has mapped out many ge ...more
L.L. Watkin
I found this a bit peculiar, a bit like a mash up of a science fiction novel and a history textbook. The closest comparison I can think of is Dune, with its use of past tense and context excerpts from "later" writers. It's clear that the author has given considerable time and energy to creating a complicated and different world, including new weights and measures, religions and hierarchies. She also clearly has mapped out many generations of dynastic struggles, of which this is only the first sa ...more
Mar 12, 2013 Mark Yahner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Great Succession Crisis is a must-read not only for die hard sci-fi fans but becomes an enthralling read for anyone who enjoys a great political drama, a great romance, an epic adventure, or a great action thriller. The Great Succession Crisis has all off these and more. Set on the planet Beinan, Ms. Rockefeller provides just the right amount of detail creating a compelling world that stands on its own.

I don't normally read novels, but the characters are so compelling I found that I enjoyed
Mar 12, 2013 Mark Yahner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Mar 12, 2013 Mark Yahner marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Viv Ross
Apr 01, 2013 Viv Ross rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off, I won my copy of this book via a giveaway hosted by Goodreads.

This story should be riveting. It should be exhilarating. It should have had me in the edge of my seat at times and in tears at others. However, it did none of these things, mainly because I found the writing approach too analytical, too calculated, and too dry. Writing fiction of any kind should be an art, and the writer an artist. If this had been a painting I expect I would have only seen uniform shapes placed in a preci
Tamra LeValley
This book was really good but a bit confusing at times. A young woman who was sought after for marriage simply because she was to be queen. She ends up marrying her best friend and confidante.

This book is a set-up for the real action in The Ghosts of the Past (Peers of Beinan, #2) by Laurel A. Rockefeller. It was a quick read which was simple and straight forward in it's delivery. It took you from the current queen and left you awaiting all the successions of their family.

A really good book.
Laurel Rockefeller
Jul 22, 2013 Laurel Rockefeller rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The QR Interactive Revised Edition of the Great Succession Crisis uniquely blends smartphone technology with a traditional paperback book. Throughout the book, but especially in the opening chapters are QR codes located neatly to the right of the text. Each code takes readers to a webpage, usually a special enhanced content page on the author's website where unfamiliar terms are defined. They also take you to graphics and other media content.

The book itself is a coming of age story I really enjo
Tina
The story was not quite as in-depth as I was expecting from the First Reads synopsis of this first edition novel. I was expecting the main characters to face more tension or hurdles. Also, the storyline felt confused with cultural history being supplied in a separate appendix rather than incorporated into the story itself where it would have helped to explain customs or conflicts. Decent read but not what I was expecting.
Rebecca Gatzlaff
Jan 27, 2013 Rebecca Gatzlaff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, signed-copy
I love the world building in this book. I love the fact that the planet had different expressions of time and had it's own measurement system. I also love the robots. Here is my review of the book
www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3t4T36QrAs
This video also includes a review on Death Note volume 1, and Phineas L. MacGuire gets cooking.
Erika Olsen
Jan 27, 2013 Erika Olsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Succession Crisis (Volume 1)I am an avid reader of novels, and I found "Great Succession Crisis (from the "Peers of Beinan" trilogy) by Laurel A. Rockerfeller to be a gripping Sci-fi story. I creates an in depth world with characters are realistic and easy to identify with. It has intrigue, romance, drama. It is thoroughly enjoyable to read.
L.J. Capehart
Oct 08, 2013 L.J. Capehart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author obviously gave great thought to this world she has created. She succeeded in making it interesting, and exciting. There's romance, political intrigue, and mystery. I think she developed her characters well, and I've already purchased the sequel, as I want to see how Beinan fares in it!
Abigail
Jan 22, 2015 Abigail rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story had the possibility to be good, however the story is cliche and confusing to read.
Sam Funderburk
I enjoyed this book and was surprised having figured it to be more of a female fan base. All kinds of stuff going on, but it all fell together nicely.
Laurel Rockefeller
Mikki Snyder
Mikki Snyder rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Kristi Cramer
Couldn't do it. DNF
Style didn't suit me.
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Leona Mituzas
Leona Mituzas rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2013
Roy Wano
Roy Wano rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2013
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Benjamin: The Road to Capernaum
  • The Eye With Which The Universe Beholds Itself
  • Max Xylander and the Island of Zumuruud
  • Oblivion's Forge
  • The Peacock Angel: Rise of the Decarchs
  • Doctors in Hell (Heroes in Hell #18)
  • SOUL'D OUT
  • Nine Heroes: Tales of Heroic Fantasy
  • East of the Sun
  • The Reconstruction of Wilson Ryder
Born, raised, and educated in Lincoln, Nebraska USA Laurel A. Rockefeller is author of over twenty books published and self-published since August, 2012. A dedicated scholar and biographical historian, Ms. Rockefeller is passionate about education and improving history literacy worldwide.

With her easy to understand fireside storytelling style, Laurel A. Rockefeller is the historian for people who
More about Laurel A. Rockefeller...

Peers of Beinan (2 books)
  • The Ghosts of the Past (Peers of Beinan, #2)

“Princess Anlei to the newly knighted Lord Knight Corann: "A princess does not need to rush into the fray like some …starving creature, but moves deliberately, with a purpose. I did not think for a moment that this gathering would end without you speaking to me at some point.” 3 likes
“All either of us can do is strengthen the bond so that come what May nothing divide us... No one and no circumstance.” 0 likes