Start by marking “Girls & Monsters” as Want to Read:
Girls & Monsters

Girls & Monsters

This dark but uplifting collection of five Young Adult novellas includes:

Death Song: Liz is in love with Joe, but the monster of the lake has other plans for them.

Black Dog: Scarlet is engaged in a struggle for her sanity, but according to the voice in her head, she may be too late.

A Blue Story: When Katherine's beloved dog goes missing, she fears her strange new neighbor
Published April 28th 2013 by DarkFuse (first published April 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Girls & Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls & Monsters

Start your review of Girls & Monsters
Anne Michaud
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Unique tales with dark twists, an awesome collection of novelettes from an amazing writer...

Oh wait, *I* wrote it. Oops ;)

Julie-anne
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I figure I'll do a wee review of each short story.

Death Song: Killer mermaid living in a small town's lake, she takes a tourist every year - they're bodies don't appear for a month. But then she changes her style and starts taking residents - the residents have always been out of bounds, and then she goes for Jo and Liz fights back.
I enjoyed this one. Mermaids are usually painted as "Ariel" types so I like it when authors change it up and make them evil and bloodthirsty.

Black Dog: Scarlet goes t
Samantha Young
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Girls & Monsters is a collection of five short YA stories written in the dark and macabre voice of Anne Michaud. The collection kicks off with the surreal “Death Song” a grim tale of mermaid lore, where a small town mayor makes a deal with the mythological Limnade to sacrifice tourists to her every year in exchange for a prosperous community. Atmospheric and eerie, “Death Song” has a quality to it that reminds me of Angela Carter shorts.

The second tale is “Black Dog”, a disturbing story narrate
Books
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’m not a huge fan of novellas and much less compilations of novellas, but I found Girls & Monsters to be quite riveting. The cover played a big role in my decision to request it for review, but so did the title of each novella which got my curiosity working overtime. I wouldn’t say any of these short stories are “uplifting”, as suggested by the blurb, but they were entertaining in a macabre sort of way.

Death Song: Vengeful mermaids aren’t something you read about every day, and as interesting
Kate
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* (rounded up to 4*)

A YA collection of five stories about women and horror.

Death song - A town's prosperity is linked to tales of a deadly mermaid. I didn't think much of this story when I read it but it has stayed with me long after I finished it.

Black Dog - One of my favourites, this atmospheric story centres around Scarlet who has taken a trip to London and starts seeing an ominous black dog everywhere. This is the darkest story in the collection and Michaud does a great job creating an u
Kim
More of my reviews can be found here on YA Asylum.

Please note: I got this ebook from the author in exchange for an honest review. And an honest review I will give. For more information refer to my Review Policies & FTC Disclaimer.

OVERALL:

I loved this collection of short stories. They were all beautifully written and creepy in all the right ways. World-building is done fabulously in each of the short stories, along with character development. I really liked all the main characters and each of th
Ashley Ehlers

Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters http://www.paranormalsisters.blogspot...

Death Song: This one was okay. It turned out different than I thought it would and I really didn’t see where the story was going either. I also kinda don't see the meaning behind it. These short stories are about girls conquering their fears and I really didn't see the main gals fears. Yes, an evil mermaid is scary and she did conquer it but who wouldn't be afraid of that kind of monster. What I didn't see was a fear
Jenny
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I've been following Anne Michaud for a few years now. This is some of her best work. The stories build in mood as the book progresses until the reader has a hard time sitting still, antsy for the climax which never fails to deliver. Each story is masterfully crafted to be taut with intensity and full of vibrant characters. Each set of characters a little different, a little strange.

Death Song is a new twist on the origins of mermaids. The tale weaves through a few years in lives of best friends
J.A. Campbell
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Overall this was a really great, well written anthology. It’s described as dark, and it is. A few of the stories have threads of hope running through them, a couple have very dark endings, but the stories are quite good. All of the main characters are female teens, as you may have guessed from the title.

Death Song is probably one of my favorites. (The other fave is Black Dog.) It’s about a girl and boy, young love, and a lake monster that “protects” a small, prosperous town. It’s a really fun an
Todd Russell
In my early teens, besides reading, I was a huge Dungeons & Dragons RPG fan. The general feeling I got from reading these stories was sort of a modern telling of D&D-like adventures. I couldn't identify with the girl protagonists except that they seemed like girls I might have encountered in a modern D&D setting (which was neat to me). I enjoyed the monsters and the use of domiciled pets in several of the tales. For a thematic collection, there are a couple stories ("Death Song" and "Black Dog") ...more
a_tiffyfit
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a compilation of a few short stories about coming of age girls finding inner strength in a time of crisis. Just when they believe they cannot, they find the resolve necessary and overcome the situations at hand. All five stories are incredibly compelling and capitvating.

In "Death Song" Liz Burton faces the Limnade, the lake's mermaid, and saves the guy she is in love with, a guy she has grown up with since childhood. Liz discovers the the town she has always lived in, Lakeside View, has
Imran Siddiq
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting to try writing some chilling horror, or to at least see how it can be done. And then along comes Anne's Girls and Monsters. The cover caught my attention and the snippets of dark horror within made it a definite to-read.

Girls and Monsters is a collection of tales rather than one, but don;t let that put you off, because what we get are 5 well constructed tales with great beginnings and even better endings. The tales are there to tingle your spine, but unlike others they don't wa
Meg
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The strength of Anne Michaud's Girls & Monsters comes from blending dark and disturbing monsters with relatable, honest teenage moments. The first story of Girls & Monsters involves a flesh-hungry mermaid, but the weirdness of the premise is mitigated with the detailed believability of an unrequited teenage crush in a tiny tourist town. A story about a giant spider is mixed with a long-distance crush and sibling conflict, which is all suitably awkward and teenage. (Via Anne Michaud's 'Girls & Mo ...more
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is a collection of novellas with a dark Young Adult theme running through. Each story plays on a childhood fear, and one or two explore the theme of madness as well.

I am not a huge fan of Young adult books so I surprised myself by thoroughly enjoying these short stories. Anthologies have always appealed to me, as you can dip in and out as suits. For me it was an excellent way to take my YA in little bites! I would recommend this to ages of sixteen and over as some of the themes are quite d
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

Girls and Monsters is a short story collection, all featuring stories by Anne Michaud, and all stories have something to do with girls and monsters. The writing is of great quality overall, and the stories are original enough to entertain. “Dust Bunnies” was my favorite story, mostly because I’m scared of spiders, and this story played on that fear. Overall the stories offer unique twists, but I found “We Left at Nigh
Kimberly
This being a collection of stories, I went with a middle rating. I felt that the last story was the strongest, the one before it was "different" enough to catch my attention, but the earlier ones just didn't impress me.
Adam Sydney
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome stories! They're very dark, but the main characters, all young women, deal with a lot of very familiar teenage issues. The endings of some of them are really surprising, too!
Daniel
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

Girls & Monsters is a collection of short, dark tales from the very talented, Anne Michaud.

Michaud's is not a name with which I am familiar, but then other than the occasional book, I don't read a lot of dark/horror fiction. I don't haunt the magazines the way that I once did, so I shouldn't be surprised by the new players in the horror/dark fantasy genre. The stories collected here are solid works.

"Death Song" deals with
JR Dabbles
This collection mixes the young adult woman's experience with horror in a delightful way. I love how the read world issues are blended flawlessly with the horror concept. I highly recommend this one!

Now I'm breaking down each one:

*Death Song

Premise: A story about a town both blessed and cursed by a lake siren called Limnad. Liz is a young troublemaker who leaves then returns to the town. When her best friend, Jo, loses his fiance, the two go to the lake to face off against Limnad.

Thoughts/Feelin
Justine
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was fine. I didn’t care for the cover. Some stories were better than others. I absolutely hate when stories have any type of hurting animals so those ones are my lower ratings. I didn’t particularly find any of the stories very frightening.
I probably wouldn’t read anything but this author again.
Renee
Runalong
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A further selection of dark horror tales and while YA a lot for everyone to be scared by

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
A.L. Davroe
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was first introduced to this book when the author approached me about doing a feature on my website. As a bonus, she gave me a copy of the book to review.

It's difficult to give a clear explanation of this book because it's a collection of novella-length stories and because they are so short, it's hard to give descriptions without giving away the whole plot to some of them. I'm just going to give my overall opinion of the collection as a whole.

First off, I'd like to say that as a whole, I thoug
TheGremlin
Pam
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review. This is a collection of 5 short stories that deal in a way of things some of us grew up fearing. Each story has it's own twisted tale to make you cringe.

Liz left years ago and now has come back to town and knows she is still in love with Joe. The problem with coming back home is the monster in the lake is still around. The monster in fact
Lys
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I loved the idea of Girls & Monsters. It was definitely the sort of collection I would have wanted to read in high school ... and - who am I kidding? - now as well.

" Girls & Monsters is for everyone who has ever been brave enough to confront their childhood fears...and lived to tell about it. "

Or so the blurb goes. But, I'm not positive that it is accurate. The sort of triumph that is suggested here is not delivered in all of the short stories, although it is definitely present in some. Howeve
Angela
2.5*

I was disappointed with this collection by Michaud. From the title and synopsis I went into this collection expecting stories about monsters and for the tone of the book to be a bit like a 'Point Horror'. Sadly it wasn't and I feel a bit cheated if I'm honest.

Out of the five stories, only two really stood out for me and they were 'Death Song' and 'Dust Bunnies'.

'Death Song' was the first story featured in the collection and was about a mass-murdering mermaid. It was creepy and atmospheric
Tas
Mar 31, 2013 rated it did not like it

This was a cool collection of short stories, not all of them appealed to me or were as enjoyable as I hoped. There were definitely a few I liked and were gems in this collection, these included:

Death song - This was a pretty good story. The whole evil mermaid aspect entwined itself into the story well. At the start it was an underlying issue but as the story progressed the evil mermaid began to build itself and became the central challenge in the story.

Black dog - I enjoyed this one I g
Megan
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in the first-reads giveaway, which I'm always excited about. Though it definitely wasn't my favorite, I learned that I don't really like short stories. It's all a learning experience, right?

Girls & Monsters is a book of five short stories about girls who confront their fears, the majority of which do include monsters! These range from giant spiders and dogs to a terrible sea creature. I wish I had more good things to say, but I was not impressed with these stories. If I was even
Michelle Birbeck
It has taken me a little while to read this collection of short stories, but that is by no means a bad thing. There are some books you want to make last that little bit longer. This is one of them. There are five short stories in this collection.

My favourite of the five has to be Black Dog, closely followed by A Blue Story. The first of which I felt was highly accurate regarding its subject. All too often people try to write mental health issues and self-harm stories and they get it wrong. They

• The Wives
  • Credence
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Never Never: The Complete Series (Never Never, #1-3)
  • Nightmares! (Nightmares!, #1)
  • Code Name Verity
  • The Wonder
  • Neverland
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Perfectly Dateless (Universally Misunderstood, #1)
  • Ness
  • The Rumour
  • Vanguard (Razorland, #4)
  • Silent Child (Silent Child, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Bunker Diary
  • Dragon Physician
  • They Called Us Enemy
YA author of dark tendency