Start by marking “The Mischievians” as Want to Read:
The Mischievians

The Mischievians

Where’s my homework? Who took my other sock? What’s that in my belly button? The creators of the #1 New York Times bestselling and Academy Award–winning The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore have found the answers to these and other life mysteries…and no, it’s not your fault!

Strange smells. Disappearing remotes. That itch you just can’t reach. It’s not your fau
Published October 22nd 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Mischievians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mischievians

Becky
This is the second book the Neff and I read together. I think he, like his auntie (me) who bought it for him, was attracted to the cover image cuteness. It was a little old for him, and he didn't really love it the same way as an older kid might. The humor is more of a mid grade age, I think. But he did really enjoy the pictures and trying to turn the pages. 18 month old boys are easy to amuse.

For me, since I got the humor, I thought it was pretty good. The premise is that there are little crea
Laurie Anderson
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Have you ever wondered what happened to your homework, or who took the remote control for the TV? Or who makes you yawn and why do you sometimes get a song stuck in your head? Well William Joyce's newest must have read for children answers all those questions and more! The MISCHIEVIANS are responsible for those things and much more. What? You never heard of them? Neither did I until I read this book and now everything makes sense.

I knew there had to be a reason why we can have so many half pair
Sara
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aah, if there were ever a book more made for book-talking to an elementary school audience, I'm not sure I have found it. OK, well, maybe except for The Day My Butt Went Psycho. Have you ever wondered what causes you to yawn? What about what makes you laugh during SUPER SERIOUS moments? Well, you're in luck -- none of these things are actually your fault...it's all the fault of the Mischievians! These tiny little creatures will just NOT LEAVE HUMANS ALONE!

Probably the best part of this book are
Britt
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Janice
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
While you might think this is a picture book, the writing and some of the humor will entertain the older kid to the adult. Bill Joyce follows a path that humorists have used for a while, let's explain why some of the things happen around the house that we can't seem to explain. What happens to socks? Homework? Etc.? The explanations are fun. Although, the drawings might be a little frightening for young children. All in all, enjoyable.
Aj
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Brought this home from the library to read with my son...all this time I thought it was the fairies giving me a hard time but it turns out it is the Mischievians, cute buggers. Both my son and I found this to be a fun book.
Elle
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this one with my 5 year old niece. She seemed to really enjoy it. Some of the language was a bit beyond her comprehension level, but the premise of the story was good and entertaining for her.
Sue
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It has become trite to say a book will be enjoyed by "young and old alike." This hilarious book really does - and then some. Another grand slam by our family-favorite William Joyce. (We are STILL quoting Rolie Polie Olie and my son is TEN!)
Tammy Kesteloot
Adorable Children's Book! Beautiful illustrations. Fun for all ages!

My favorite Mischievian is the Giggler.... and no wonder I can never reach that itch on my back! lol!
Melissa
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another wonderful children's fiction book by William Joyce. The story is about the Mischievians who are responsible for all sorts of crazy annoying things that happen in our daily lives. There is one who steals socks, thus explaining why single socks are always going missing. There is one who steals the remote, once and for all solving the mystery of who lost the remote - it wasn't lost, it was stolen!!! There's even one that causes blisters! As always the illustrations are fantastic, ea ...more
Air
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love William Joyce and have been anxiously awaiting his new books. I loved that he kept with his classic art style for this book, and I found the concept to be very cute. I love the ideas of Brownies and other such creatures running around being the root cause of all of life's little annoyances. So, I loved the artwork, loved the concept, however, I didn't love the book. I just don't think it was my cup of tea, so I am still going to give the book four stars, because the good does outweigh the ...more
Arnela
Ok, so I love this book, but then again I love William Joyce and his stories, especially the art that accompanies them.

This book is about all the weird little creatures that steal the remote, or nab your socks, or eat your homework and cause you all manner of annoyance. Which is silly and funny most of the time. But the book itself is a little more wordy so it's not for anyone too young, and the images themselves can be slightly unsettling , so I wouldn't recommend this book to kids that aren't
Timm Holmes
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely incredible tale about all the little things that happen in life and who or what is actually causing them to happen. The art jumps off the page and the writing demands that character voices be used (I love when I get to use different voices to bring a story to life!). Also the end will blow your mind and have you flipping back through the pages.
Lorraine
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
This is really clever and funny (or should that be punny). Lots and lots to unpack via the pictures and enough text to engage older readers as well. This is a bedtime story I don't mind reading (although we usually break it up into three nights because it's kinda long).
Engel Dreizehn
A mischievous and imaginative encyclopedia of the creatures that make mischief (like missing socks), which kind of frightening looking at times but still a characteristic hallmark of Joyce's mischief creative style.
Meredith Estes
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! How fun is this book! My four year olds are convinced these are all real things causing mischief (perhaps they are). The format was a little over their heads but the illustrations are magnificent. And, my eight year old loves the details in the Q&A format. We all love this one.
Callie Ballinger
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable and so creative!
Alex Pierce
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite but it is still very interesting and shows lots of imagination.
Alex Torrance
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully silly.
Jennifer Strong
What an imaginative mind Joyce has! My favorite page was the one about Danglers who help boogers to dangle out of your nose. Awesome artwork!
Chrisanne
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I preferred The Borrowers.
Danielle
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Very clever and fun premise. I liked the word play. Great read a loud!
MarineCAT
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great William Joyce book. I really enjoy the illustrations and the story that is full of imagination. The story covers little issues that we all encounter in life, almost like Gremlins. Very fun to read, highly recommend for your library.
Martha
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mischievians perform tasks we might consider, but would never say aloud, genius!
Sharon Tyler
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mischievians is an older picturebook by William Joyce that explains the strange smells, disappearing remotes, missing homework, and all the little things that you have never been able to explain on your own. None of these lost things or weird experiences happen by chance, they are the work of the Mischievians. These creatures are an ancient race of troublemakers who do all the things that embarrass you, bug you, and that YOU get blamed for!

The Mischievians is a fun and mock-informational boo
Maxbfunk
Opening: Who here has lost something that you had just seen yesterday? And who has been walking barefoot and stepped on something pointy but never saw where it came from. Imagine a world where rather than it just being your own mistakes, or carelessness there were little creatures that did all of this to you. In the world of the Mischievians all of these things and more can be blamed on those little rascals. While you're listening see if you can imagine some other Mischievians that the narrator ...more
Dione Basseri
Sadly, I didn't get the audio recording from the library, so no feedback there. But just as a book, I'm pretty delighted with this. In particular, I love that it is just about ideal for not-so-new readers, forming a good transition between early reader books and early chapter books. The words are a bit more complex, but this book isn't a long narrative arc that has to be taken in at one sitting. Each page can be taken in on their own, out of order or in order, without loss of coherence, once you ...more
Amber
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Curricular connections: Despite the fictional content in this book, this could be a great lesson on describing the body and its functions. We could talk about why we yawn, cough and sneeze and how it impacts our bodies. We could also take it further and talk about ways our body fights germs and ways we could help fight germs.
115.3 Health Education, Grade 1:
(4) Health information. The student understands the basic structure and functions of the human body and how they relate to personal health th
  • How to Train a Train
  • The Bathing Costume: Or the Worst Vacation of My Life
  • Flood
  • Old Mikamba Had a Farm
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • Princesses on the Run
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Beasts
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Please Bring Balloons
  • The Man with the Violin
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
William Joyce does a lot of stuff—films, apps, Olympic curling—but children’s books are his true bailiwick (The Numberlys, The Man in the Moon, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, Toothiana, and the #1 New York Times bestselling The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which is also an Academy Award–winning short film, to name a few). He lives with his family in Shre ...more