Start by marking “Treecat Wars (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #3)” as Want to Read:
Treecat Wars (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #3)

Treecat Wars

(Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington #3)

New York Times and Publishers Weekly Best Selling Young Adult Series. Book Three by international writing phenomenon David Weber. Two young settlers on a pioneer planet seek to stop a war and to save the intelligent alien treecats from exploitation by unscrupulous humans.

The fires are out, but the trouble’s just beginning for the treecats

On pioneer planet Sphinx, ruined la
Published October 1st 2013 by Baen (first published September 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Treecat Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treecat Wars

Paradoxical
While I went into this book with rather happily (I mean, treecats, c'mon, you got to love them), I was rather disappointed with the way the book turned. The beginning has Stephanie and Karl who are offered an opportunity to go to Manticore to train for three months in Manticore's Forestry Service. This is a tremendous opportunity for the both of them, though Stephanie feels torn as she'd be away from Anders, who she's in a relationship with.

Then, once Stephanie leaves, the book kind of splits o
Ben
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is the third in the series of YA novels that follows Stephanie Harrington, her treecat, Climbs Quickly. While off planet for the first time on her own, in the company of Climbs Quickly and her human friend Karl, Her friends back home are forced to come to grips with a serious problem among 2 clans of treecats who are survivors of a series of forest fires that have decimated the ranges where they live. With resources scarce and emotions riding high, a potential war between clans erupts ...more
Kathy Davie
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, sci-fi
Third in the Star Kingdom science fiction fantasy sub series for middle grade readers within the Honorverse overall series and revolving around Stephanie Harrington and her treecat, Lionheart.

My Take
As ever, I adore Weber's writing. And I have got to get reading Lindskold's! So far, I've only read her work when it's in conjunction with either a short story collection or with Weber, and I've been very impressed.

I hadn't ever thought of how encompassing a forest ranger's job is until Treecat Wars
Isis
I would really like to thank NetGalley & Baen Books for generously giving me access to an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. The fact that I received this book for free has no impact on the content of my review. I rate this book 3.5 stars, but as it is not quite equal to the first book for me I am not rounding my rating up.

This is the third, and possibly final, book in a series. If you have not yet read books one and two I recommend that you STOP HERE AND READ NO FURTHER, as
Valery
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My least favorite of the series thus far, more romantic tension than I prefer and there were several major grammar snafus. But, despite all of that, it is still a good book.

For my clean readers:
mild language and violence.
Marlene
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Stephanie Harrington may be a bit too close to perfect, but the treecats finally reveal themselves as being all too human in this third book of the YA spinoff of David Weber’s Honor Harrington series.

In A Beautiful Friendship, the first book in the series, Stephanie Harrington is the 11-year-old who not only outsmarts her parents and all the other adults on Sphinx, but also manages to out-clever the fully sentient native treecat species that has successfull
Jen
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
First I would like to thank NetGalley, Baen Book and the authors for allowing me to review an eARC of Treecat Wars.

Treecat Wars is the third book in the "Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington" Series. I have not read the first 2 books or the Original Honorverse Series.

Treecat Wars is partially about the Aftermath of Book 2, where the newly named Landless Clan is trying to find ways to survive while a neighbouring clan has become aggressive. The Landless Clan must fight to Survive.

While Stephanie and
Patricia Fontes
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Treecat Wars is the third title in David Weber's Young Adult series based in the Honor Harrington universe. The Harrington family, Stephanie and her parents, are recent settlers on Sphinx and are building their lives on this newly opened planet. In Book One, we are introduced to Stephanie and we learn how Stephanie "discovers" and bonds with the treecat "Lionheart." Much of the entire series revolves around the issue of convincing the authorities of the new Kingdom of Manticore that treecats are ...more
eyes.2c
Treecats, protection and status--an important addition to the Harrington milieu. (3 1/2 stars)

Third in the series about Stephanie Harrington (Death Fang's Bane--first human to be adopted by treecats) and Lionheart, (treecat Climbs Quickly of the Bright Water Clan) Continuing the story of the struggles, prejudices, greed and political intrigue surrounding the treecats becoming part of the wider universe.
Tree cats on Sphinx are still being looked at to determine whether or not they should be decla
Tasha Turner
eARC provided by netgalley and Baen books. I love David Weber and treecats and was very excited to be approved for this book.

The treecats are the book. We see them fleshed out. While the humans are debating how sentient they are and whether to lock them up on reservations for "their own good" (that would be the evil humans) the treecats are fighting amongst themselves over scarce resources and territory. We see them making choices to harm or disable without killing. We see them getting clever in
Jeff Crosby
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like the Honorverse as it is now being called. I've been less diligent in reading through the Honor novels. This new series--Star Kingdom novels--being significantly different from the military focus has appealed to me from the start. I find the treecats interesting, but I have not found the time to begin. As a result, I once again leaped into a series out of order, but I couldn't resist when I got the opportunity to read the eARC of this novel.

Despite being the third novel in a series, I was
Tony Hisgett
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn’t really enjoy this book very much, to be honest I only kept reading to find out how the whole trilogy ended.
The problems started when Stephanie and Karl move to Manticore and the story starts to fragment. Until the very end of the book, what happens on Manticore is extremely tedious while on Sphinx I found the Jessica / Anders story a bit of a distraction put in by the authors to appeal to a teenage romance audience.
The Treecat sections were interesting but overall the book was too slow
Caleb
Sadly, Treecat Wars, like Fire Season before it, lacked the magic that made the first book in this series great. I don't know if it's Weber and Lindskold trying to make it more YA acceptable, but there isn't that extra something in this book that takes a book from good to great.

That said, it's still a solid book. I enjoyed watching some of the secondary characters come into their own. The setting and plot were solid as well. the only thing I would have really like to of had is a map.
Bill
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
A good collaboration and I hope Lindskold will write more in the Honorverse. In case you missed it, see Changer of Worlds for the treecat 'breakout'.
Daniel
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 2.5 of 5

It is a little strange that while I consider myself a 'cat person' (I've always had at least one, if not two cats living with me as long as I can remember) and I really like YA books, I have never been drawn to books which prominently feature feline characters. I was drawn to this book by one of the authors whose work I was curious to look at.

This is the third book in a series but I didn't feel that I missed too much by n
Cherry Mischievous
My Thoughts:
Unlike the previous books, this one has a more layered plot this time. The authors threw in a couple of unexpected twists, which is great! So the character development and the world building has long been established a long time ago with the previous books. And also like the previous books, this one is also a very good read! This being the third installment in a trilogy, I was kinda hoping for a great grand finale to the Stephanie Harrington series... but it wasn't... it was just kin
Sylvia McIvers
Well, this went in a new direction.
Book 3 of a YA series, you don't have to know the first 2 to like this one.

Stephanie & her treecat have an offer to go to forestry college - an amazing offer since she's so young, but she earned it. This takes her to a completely new stage, and gives some other people in her home-town a turn on the page. Meanwhile, the human settlers are limiting the space treecats can live after a fire burns them out, hence the war.... (with all these settlers, are they a
Raymond Vice
Rather marginal for a Honor Harrington book, but it manages to come on strong at the end.

It seems like a sacrilege to give David Weber and Jane Lingsfold a mere 3, but I couldn't support anything higher in good conscience. I thought the first half of this book was worse than marginal - it was boring! I had serious trouble getting through it. IMHO the plot was weak, and the interaction between Stephanie and Anders more than justified the Young Readers label - it was maudlin, which is even worse t
Zachary
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in David Weber's little prequel series to Honor Harrington. It's also squarely aimed at a YA audience, but it doesn't pander to them. He carries over the depth of the universe he's created for that other series and even hints at the political intrigue that is part of the more adult series.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit - as I've enjoyed the others. This one had a little less action than I prefer, but it had its moments. If you have read the other books in the series, it
Bill Scheidegger
Like the other books in this side story prequel, I was not the target audience. However, once you get past the teenage angst and puppy love parts of the story, it is pretty good. May main interest in this series was the Treecats themselves. The interactions between clans was an especially intriguing part of the plot.
Karen
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am really thrilled that we are getting to see the history of human and treecat relations in the Star Kingdom. The characters are growing well and the stories are exceptionally well written. Great for YA and adults alike.
Roachie
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, scifi, ya
Three storylines, only two of which are wrapped up, multiple P.O.V.s, and by the end I had lost track of who was whom. Also, doesn't look as if as any redeeming sequels will be forthcoming to resolve that last dangling thread.
Jeff J.
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ll confess to being a bit disappointed by this entry in the treecat series, I had different expectations given the evocative title. I was amused by the foreshadowing of the Honor Harrington series.
Steven A Vogelfanger
Beautiful story.

I particularly enjoyed the whole description of The Tree Cat's trying to understand human feelings. The end is a song of hope for the future.
Gail Morris
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
stayed up late reading this before my eye surgery this week so I could finish it... now I am hoping that there is a book four??
Raymond
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good series.

Hope to see it continue.
There is a vast backstory to the Honorvirse and these books are a very good start.
Angel
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
This was a good book for the series, though not my favorite. There were some dangling ends, so I'm hoping the next one will be released soon! My 12 yr old really enjoyed it.
Bruce Considine
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been 5 years since the last episode. I vote for another one soon. It would be interesting to see how it fits with the Manticore Ascendant series.
Greg
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, scifi
I did not enjoy this book as much as the previous two in the series. Would read a fourth if ever written.
Space Opera Fans : Tree Cat Wars by David Weber & Jane Lindskold 11 49 Jun 06, 2015 07:55PM
Honorverse: Treecat Wars 3 23 Jul 10, 2014 10:58PM
  • A Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume I
  • Mars, Inc.: The Billionaire's Club
  • The Golden Princess (Emberverse, #11)
  • The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
  • Defender (Kris Longknife, #11)
  • Cobra Gamble (Cobra War, #3)
  • Portal (Boundary,#3)
  • Darkship Renegades (Darkship, #2)
  • Citizens
  • Closer to Home (The Herald Spy, #1)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington (3 books)
  • A Beautiful Friendship (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #1)
  • Fire Season (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #2)
“” 0 likes