Start by marking “We Hold These Truths (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #5)” as Want to Read:
We Hold These Truths (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #5)

We Hold These Truths (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School #5)

Published December 17th 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published November 12th 2013)

Steven R. McEvoy
Oct 26, 2016 Steven R. McEvoy rated it it was amazing
I have now read 13 books by Andrew Clements in about 6 months. And this is the only series of his I have read. I thought this series was good while reading through the 5 volumes but after finishing this one I really think it is an awesome series. These 5 books span 28 days and each book follows directly after the other. They really do pack a lot of action, adventure, and personal growth.

If you have been following these reviews starting with Fear Itself, then We the Children, followed by The Whi
Josiah
May 03, 2017 Josiah rated it it was ok
Andrew Clements is a reliably good storyteller, but the Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School series broke new ground for him after decades of success in publishing. Featuring a protracted storyline that couldn't possibly fit in one of his typical junior novels, the author presents Ben, Jill, Robert, and the crew of Keepers they assemble over the course of five books with a challenge that seems unlikely for any group of sixth-graders to solve. Defeating the Glennley Group, a wealthy cor ...more
Sonya
May 22, 2017 Sonya rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, mystery
Julia
I was very happy with the end of this series! That's saying a lot! Great mystery, great characters.
Dan
Mar 03, 2017 Dan rated it really liked it
Andrew Clements is nothing if not consistent. He has perfected the middle-grade school story and produces compelling and (mostly) believable stories with a message. He breaks from that pattern for Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School by lengthening his narrative and turning it into a thriller. I understand that with the genre constraints, the books can't be too long, but this series should have been published as one volume. Each book breaks off awkwardly with little resolution plot-wise ...more
Patricia
Sep 27, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
interesting ending, but my daughter thought it was just too weird. I love all the history and information learned in the reading of this series.
Lisa
Feb 28, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Thank you Simon & Schuster for sending me a copy for review*

Ben and his two friends Jill and Robert call themselves the Keepers of the School and its their mission to save their school and the hidden treasure inside from demolition and from becoming a seaside amusement park!

Knowing they can't do it on their own, the Keepers decide to gather a troop of students, their parents and even a teacher; to become their eyes and ears around the school. They'll need all the help they can get (even tho
Jessalyn King
Jun 21, 2015 Jessalyn King rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 9-12, fiction, audio
This series was cute. I listened to them all at once, though, so it's hard to tell which parts I liked were from which volume. They're short enough that they could have been all one book anyway. Therefore, this review serves as my review for books 2-5... If you haven't read the rest of the series you should definitely do before reading book 5 (and before finishing this review!).

Things I liked:

Characters and their arc. - They grew as characters, and in their relationships. I like that Robert beco
J.D.Staton
Oct 20, 2015 J.D.Staton rated it really liked it
A nice, heartwarming, though fairly complex ending to a book series that should have been compiled into a single novel rather than artificially torn apart into five small chapter books. As it was targeted toward an upper elementary/middle school audience, it made no sense to butcher this moderate sized novel into five small parts. The relationship between Ben and Robert continues to be unstable/erratic, though this is not surprising as the entire 5 book series only covers a one month time-line - ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
We Hold These Truths is the final installment of Benjamin Pratt & and the Keepers of the School. The final days of school are here and it's now or never for the Keepers to find the final safeguards.

I have been waiting to listen to this book! The Keepers needed to find two more safeguards and the end of school is days away when the last book ended. The pressure builds and Ben finds himself in a new role as manager. The Keepers' plans need to be bigger, bolder, and faster. They also need to st
Jayce Senter
Apr 04, 2013 Jayce Senter rated it it was amazing

I love this series. It's so cleverly written and each clue is so carefully plotted out. I also love the characters. They are realistic as kids with flaws and quirks and still very likeable. Andrew Clements gets kids this age and he understands teachers. Both students and teachers alike can relate to all of his books.

Genre: Mystery
AR level: no test yet
Grade appropriate: 3rd grade and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5

Creativity: 4/5-- There are several books out right now about kids who need to sav
Lisa
From the author of Frindle, Ben and his friends have just three days left to save their school or it will be bulldozed before their very eyes. The conclusion to Andrew Clements’s dynamic Keepers of the School series!

The Keepers of the School—known to their friends as Ben, Jill, and Robert—have one last chance to save their school before it’s torn down to make room for a seaside amusement park. But their nemeses, Janitors Lyman and Wally, are just as determined to keep the kids out of the way and
Gary VanRiper
Jun 08, 2014 Gary VanRiper rated it it was ok
I own and really, really like just about everything by Andrew Clements. I view him as this generation's Beverly Cleary. I own and really, really enjoyed the Keepers of the School series. Even a 4.5 on every volume. Until Book #5. And I don't consider it Mr. Clement's fault. I thought this series was originally scheduled to include 6 books. I do not know the reason why it was reduced to 5. Waning interest by readers? Disappointing sales? But somewhere along the way through Book 5, the story began ...more
Elfeeza Ul Haq
This book is a great finale for the series. The writing had grown along with the characters and their relationships. All the loose ends were tied up nicely for me and there was hope written all over it. I find that it had a certain epic-ness to it which would be a total spoiler if I elaborate so that's all I'm going to say. Andrew Clements did not disappoint. I love this book and the series. I would definitely recommend it to my students and anyone who loves reading children's books.
Ruth
Oct 11, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
If you are a fan of old time mystery series such as "Encyclopedia Brown", "Nancy Drew", "The Hardy Brothers" and the 80's film "Goonies" than you will enjoy "The Benjamin Pratt" series. Three kids set out to save their school from being turned in to a theme park. They solve clues, deal with real life issues and experience an adventure of a life time.
Marlene Scheffer
Sep 03, 2014 Marlene Scheffer rated it really liked it
Listened to the entire series as an audiobook with my 9 year son. Fun series, lots of twists and turns. As an adult, it was fun to listen to in the car, definitely not boring. Recommended reading just for fun for third, fourth grades. Unexpected ending, rather eerie, but interesting. Didn't see that one coming!
Debra
Nov 17, 2013 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, fiction
This was the concluding book to the Keepers of the School series. Quite a few twists and turns. The final revelation of the Captain surely changed the school forever. I enjoyed the bonding of the kids as they sought the final clues. I was surprised they they got their parents and other adults to so quickly jump on board and assist them. Nice wrap up!
Mary Beene
Nov 21, 2014 Mary Beene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 7-y.o. son loved this series -- we started reading them in the car on a road trip and finished three books. At first we had a book on tape, but then I bought the next two books and read them aloud myself. My husband drove 7 hours straight hanging on every word. Yes, they are kids books, but they are very interesting with fun historical backgrounds.
Carol Strange
Apr 05, 2014 Carol Strange rated it really liked it
A satisfying ending to the Keepers of the School series. There a few surprises in this book to resolve the conflict between developers and those who feel responsibility to preserve a historical school according to the wishes of the founders.
Tony Keefer
Maybe a 4.5, I really enjoyed this entire series. I think Clements is really masterful at enjoyable realistic fiction for middle grade students, but the books in this series make me hopeful that mysteries or mystery like books will keep coming from him.
Chrissy
Jan 14, 2015 Chrissy rated it liked it
Let's just say the series was significantly more interesting when I was younger.... But it was still interesting enough to give me awesome dreams about hidden passageways and quirky old ship equipment.
Joe Eyres
Jan 02, 2014 Joe Eyres rated it liked it
Shelves: nautical
Whew! I'm glad that's finally over! Five books and about seventy-five dollars later. This was a pretty good story, but to stretch it out so long was too much.
Carrie
May 01, 2016 Carrie rated it it was ok
Gag. On so many levels.
Faith
Apr 01, 2014 Faith rated it really liked it
I liked the way it ended, but since he took so long to write the last two, I think that made it a little hard too follow and less enjoyable.
Elizabeth
Aug 21, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, novel
Finally, all their work is worth it! Great series!
Christy
May 11, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing
3 kids solve a mystery to save their school. Book #5
Emyrose8
Oct 16, 2013 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-buy
4.5- Great ending to the series! I might need to read these books aloud to my class...
Areli
Jul 09, 2014 Areli rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written suspenseful series for Young adults. We have read many books by this author and are never disappointed!
Jan 30, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Excellent conclusion to the series. Kids will love it.
Michael
A satisfying ended to the series. The twist ending at the end was good as well and not expected.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • The Pirate's Coin (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #3)
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • Ms. Rapscott's Girls
  • Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Moxie and the Art of Rule Breaking (14 Day Mysteries #1)
  • The Black Paw (Spy Mice, #1)
  • Nick and Tesla's High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Mystery with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself
  • Double Cross (The Last Musketeer, #3)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Memory Maze (The Hypnotists, #2)
  • Strangers on a Train (Nancy Drew Diaries #2)
  • 3 Below (Floors, #2)
  • The Surge (Storm Runners, #2)
  • Almost Super
  • The Greatest Gift: The Original Story That Inspired the Christmas Classic It's a Wonderful Life
  • Red Sand, Blue Sky
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...

Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School (5 books)
  • We the Children (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #1)
  • Fear Itself (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #2)
  • The Whites of Their Eyes (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #3)
  • In Harm's Way (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #4)

“Change couldn't be stopped...but people always had choices, didn't they? Even if change was being forced on you...you still had a choice: You could either give up and accept someone else's ideas about change, or you could fight for the kind of changes you believed in.” 0 likes