Start by marking “The Boss Baby (Classic Board Books)” as Want to Read:
The Boss Baby (Classic Board Books)

The Boss Baby (Classic Board Books)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,124 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
Used Book in good condition. May have some markings and writings. Note: The above used product classification has been solely undertaken by the seller. Amazon shall neither be liable nor responsible for any used product classification undertaken by the seller. A-to-Z Guarantee not applicable on used products.
Board book, 36 pages
Published August 27th 2013 by Little Simon (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Boss Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boss Baby

Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS

(Review Not on Blog)

A cute picture book that reveals the real truth about who is the boss when it comes to infants! It is a very simple and short story so there is not much of a plot. There are some great illustrations.
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the moment he arrives, the new baby is The Boss. He holds lots of meetings, makes demands, has his own car and private jet, etc.--and, oh my gosh, the fun is in the accompanying illustrations that show him, for example, throwing a tantrum in his crib while Mom and Dad watch in terror (the "meeting") or swinging on a little rocket toddler swing (the "private jet"). The premise is so much fun and is carried out with great skill by Frazee's charming text and especially the humorous, detailed i ...more
Erica
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've just finished the board book edition and I can't help but think this would be more appropriately housed in the New Parents section of the bookstore/library because, really, cute as it is, it's pretty much the basic truth of having a baby in the house.
Valerie (Dobby_Puff)
Read in February.

It was a cute book! It described my son perfectly..not sure that is a good thing!
Sandra Bašić
Nothing spectacular, you better watch the film kids!
Josiah
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book represents well everything that I've come to expect from Marla Frazee as an author and illustrator. The artwork is impressive enough on its own merits that I'm certain it must have presented a serious challenge for a piece of the 2011 Caldecott hardware, and the story's comedy is effervescent and always surprising, sure to bring about laughter in readers of any age. I have the feeling that Marla Frazee has become one of those authors whose every published work from now on will be disc ...more
Juletta Gilge
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-worthy
So cute! So funny!
Stephanie
"He made demands. Many, many demands. And he was quite particular. If things weren't done to his immediate satisfaction, he had a fit."

I LOVE The Boss Baby. It's hilarious, accurate, and has wonderfully funny illustrations. The way babies take over your life is depicted here as a demanding boss in the form of a suit-wearing bossy baby. He demands frequent meetings (many in the middle of the night), drinks made to order 24/7 (in the form of bottles), and has an office (smack dab in the middle of
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bean-books, picture
After my daughter was born, I was always asked in conversation, "are you going back to work?" I would smile, tilt my head toward the sleeping (or screaming) bundle in the room and say, "nope, she's my boss now." This usually got a chuckle because it was funny.

Only, I wasn't joking.

I'm tickled pink that Marla Frazee could put into words and pictures what it is TRULY like to have a miniature person "running the house." The exhaustion, the frustration, and ultimately, the sheer happiness of parenth
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime, June 21st
Theme: Staff favorites, Marla Frazee & Alison McGhee

This book is hilarious!
Ashley
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-picks
A wonderful tongue in cheek story. Babies are the real bosses aren't they?

(BRT)
Jennifer Brown
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book for the kids. I am not a parent, but I am sure this is the reality of all parents and their babies!!! :-)
Chezsa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Classic
Angela
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The movie was better
Arminzerella
When the Boss Baby arrives, he immediately takes control of his parents’ lives – “He put Mom and Dad on a round-the-clock schedule, with no time off.” Dressed in black footie pajamas that look just like a power suit (with a convenient flap at the back) and a tie, the Boss Baby proceeds to throw his weight around. It’s truly remarkable how many parallels there are between insufferable bosses and squalling babies – Marla Frazee is a genius. This is funny on so many levels. The illustrations are gr ...more
Russell
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious and entertaining read, though sending completely the wrong message. No child of mine has been such a domineering insolent little tyrant, and no supervisor of mine has been so awful and disrespectful. Should we really be comparing our progeny to Joffrey Baratheon from A Game of Thrones or Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada?

That said, the book is amusing, and well illustrated. Particularly (view spoiler)
Becky Ginther
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This is a cute little picture book that I think would be a funny gift to give to first time parents with a new baby. Basically, the story is a big metaphor comparing a baby to the boss of a big company - he's spoiled, gets everything he wants, tells everyone else what to do and has everyone cater to him, etc. The illustrations are fun and work well with the tone of the book, and it's a good laugh. A cute, clever little book.
Kristine Hansen
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Here is that perfect gift for anyone who is expecting their first child. I'm not calling this a picture book for children (though they will likely laugh and enjoy the story). This is pure fun for adults who've been there, and those who are about to be there. The baby is BOSS of the household, and there's no two ways about it.

Humorous and highly accurate, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Amianne Bailey
Read Aloud--3rd grade; Great pairing with Sophie Peterman Tells the Truth!
Ashlee Tominey
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny read for a Mom of a Boss Baby. Loved the illustrations.
Kimberly
This is less a book for kids and more a book for their exhausted parents! It rings very true!
Kyra Harwell
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute book. I purchased two copies to give as a gift to two first time mothers.
Brenda
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super cute book that both my husband and I and our children really enjoyed. It's funny and very true to life. Puts a humorous spin on parenting a new baby.
Alyse Liebovich
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
Same illustrator as the Clementine series with really humorous illustrations. Recommended by Kathy, who said she likes to give it as a gift to new parents.
Magpie67
Cute because baby's are demanding, but at a certain point one can put a baby on a schedule that fits everyone's day. Baby's need a schedule so they don't have fits. Though on occasion they can just melt when things go wrong.... my own daughter would have melt downs and I used baths to fix it. She loved water, being naked and splashing. Sometimes getting them off schedule causes the riffs in their day. Newborns to toddlers change as they grow and the hours between feedings get longer.. Our bodies ...more
Becky
First sentence: From the moment the baby arrived, it was obvious that he was the boss.

Premise/plot: The new baby in the house is THE BOSS. He doesn't need words to give orders and make demands. He's in charge...or is he?!

My thoughts: Words to describe this one? Clever, cute, funny. The text is wonderful, but, it's the illustrations that really bring it to life! For example, "He conducted meetings. Lots and lots and lots of meetings, many in the middle of the night." I love the progression of the
Danielle Jentz
This book is fun for parents, but not so funny for kids. Parents will understand the jokes that are made about the baby running the house, but children likely will not. I think children around age 7 would be able to read this book, but would only enjoy it if they were a new older sibling. This is a great book for a baby shower and for new parents that want to read to their kids before they can even understand. The pictures are beautifully done, and a baby in a suit is always adorable. The suit a ...more
Melissa
Told from the perspective of an older sibling, we learn about all the ways the new baby is the boss in Mom and Dad's world. The baby monopolizes all of the parents' attention, until one day, he throws a tantrum and nobody hears him. This leads into him learning his first words, and he becomes much more effective at communicating his needs... while still being in charge.

Instructional suggestions: plot, conflict, symbolism, perspective, text structures: (description, cause and effect)
Genres: ficti
Nikki
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book. It is a great representation of what siblings may feel like they're going through when they get a new sibling. I got this book from the library to read after seeing the movie, and while the book was ok, the movie was definitely better. I didn't really like the pictures in this book though. Overall the book was ok but probably not something I would read again unless I was using it to talk to children about the changes that may happen when new siblings come into the family.
Matt
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bennetts-books
Ben ranks this one as "two partial socks off" although neither of us can decide on what that actually means or how it translates to stars. Clearly his mind wandered enough that he could start working his socks off, but not so much that he finished the job. While he seemed to express some excitement over the rocket ship Boss Baby used as his private jet, that could also have just been gas. In the end, it held his attention but wasn't a favorite...
  • I'm Not.
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • I Must Have Bobo!
  • Shark vs. Train
  • Mrs. Biddlebox
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • I Know Here
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • The Quiet Book