Start by marking “The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)

The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles #4)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  12,801 Ratings  ·  1,099 Reviews
In Edwardian London, Magnus Bane discovers old friends and new enemies—including the son of his former comrade Will Herondale. One of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

Magnus thought he would never return to London, but he is lured by a handsome offer from Tatiana Blackthorn, whose plans—involving her beautiful young ward—are far more sinister than Magnus even suspects
Published July 16th 2013 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Emily
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
JAMES HERONDALE!

COME TO ME, BABY.

Afterthoughts:
What does Tessa, Will, Jem, James, and Magnus in the same room equal to?
Heartache, that's what.
Christine Riccio
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
SO MUCH BETTER than the other installments of the Bane Chronicles that i've read. We get to see the Herondales and a potential new villianess, it's great fun!
Beth
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love you Will.

That's all I have to say.
Andre
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
"Hello Jace, were have you been? And look you once again merged with Alec to become one of Magnus' many totally interchangeable wet dreams."
That was what came into my mind after not even the first few pages of this book.

It is so bad, the first sentence made my eyes role, which might be a first for me. It's the same stuff as usual: Magnus should be pitied and sympathized with for one reason or another, but at the same time acts like an ass and lets his cock rule whenever there is someone similar
Pam
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3, ya-fantasy, shortie
3 "for now" stars

Narrated by Cecil Baldwin, Jamie Bamber, George Blagden, Gareth David-Lloyd, Jordan Gavaris, Stephen Lunsford, David Oyelowo, Andrew Scott, Michael Trevino, Jesse Williams

Four of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

This story probably would have meant more to me IF I have read the Infernal Devices series, so I reserve the right to change my rating until I do. For now I didn't connect with it because the other characters were too new for me, having nothing to add to my already
Radmila
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4,5 STARS!!!

"Do stop flirting with my husband", said Tessa.
"I shall not", Magnus declared.

OMG!! My favorite trio is back! Jem, Will, Tessa, I missed them so much!

Alicia
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella
The Midnight Heir introduces us to James Herondale, the one and only son of Will and Tessa. Wow, he is so similar yet so different from his father. Truth be told, this is the second book of the Bane Chronicles that I have read (yes I know I said I wanted to read the third one, Vampires, Scones and Edmund Herondale because it has a Herondale in it but I couldn't get round to reading it. I will though) and I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot more than the first book, What Really Happened In Peru.

Ja
Christina
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

Was this my sneak peek into Chain of Thorns, Cassie Clare's yet to be released Shadowhunter series centered in 1903 and dealing with the next generation after TID series?? Because I need more! I really enjoyed this but was so frustrated at the end because I feel like it just opened up tons of questions...it felt like it should of been a chapter or two from a novel, not just a short story.

Ok, so it's 1903. Magnus has returned to London after 25 years spent in New York. He comes across a
Cristina•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
“Trust. It is like placing a blade in someone’s hand and setting the very point against your own heart.”
- James Herondale

* * *
“The way they all love one another. I used to think everyone loved that way. The way it is in fairy tales. I used to think that love was giving and generous and good.”
- James Herondale
karly
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
Herondales = Heartbreakers

This is one of the most moving Bane Chronicle yet! And definitely one of my faves. We get to meet another Herondale. Still not enough to convince you to read it? Well Tessa and Will are here. And obviously Jem.

Discussion:

(view spoiler)
Laz
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: tmi fans
Shelves: short-stories
Why do Magnus' short-stories just keep getting better and better? In this one Magnus returns to London where he finds Will and Tessa married with children and one of them is in trouble. I'm talking of course about James Herondale who's fallen in love. I'll put it as Magnus put it: «It would be ironic, Magnus thought, terribly and cruelly ironic, for one Herondale to be saved by love, and another Herondale damned by it.». I loved this for the most obvious reasons: there was Will, Tessa and Jem. W ...more
Ferdy
Spoilers

What the fuck? This was less about Magnus, and more about introducing angsty teen characters from the future Infernal Devices spin off series. Yea, not impressed. The Midnight Heir was a cheap tease to get readers hooked on a series that won't even be released for another two years.

-Magnus was the same old self-pitying fool. I still have no idea why he always feels sorry for himself. He has a great life — he gets to travel, he's respected by his peers, he falls in love ALL THE TIME, and
Clau R.
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Best Bane Chronicle so far!

I fell for James when he proclamed himself king of the ducks (?).

BUT OMG, what made me LOVE this chronicle was the fact that it had Will, Tessa and Jem in it <3. And Will and Tessa were married and loving each other and I was so happy and full of FEELS. I love their relationship, and when James called Jem "uncle Jem" I was crying tears of joy. So beautiful. I really missed the TID crew.
Lecheesekeyk
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LET ME TELL YOU THIS. WHO COULD DO THAT TO A HERONDALE?!!!

This is actually my first favorite with Vampire, Scones and Edmund Herondale.

The thing is it's so heartbreaking so I was like.
Heartbroken all the time.
James being so vulnerable makes my heart ache because I remembered Will.
He was making a big line to separate him with the person he loves because its not that he was doing something brave but because he was actually damned.
THIS IS MORE HEARTBREAKING OKAY.
BEING DAMNED IS HEARTBREAKING.
AND
Stephanie (Bookfever. ❤)
Once again my heart is broken. Tessa, Will and Jem together again! <3

How they loved each other, these three, how they had suffered for each another, and yet how much joy they clearly took from simply being in the same room.

Yes, this one was pretty sad but I loved seeing Tessa, Will and Jem again. And also to have read about poor James Herondale. *sniffles*
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon

3 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). Meeting James Herondale was beyond amazing! He's so funny and quirky, just like all of his relatives! He's definitely another reason why I absolutely am in love the with Herondale family.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting thro
Khairiyyahb
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You see them - James said. - The way they all love one another. I used to think everyone loved that way. The way it is in fairy tales. I used to think that love was giving and generous and good.

This way BY FAR the best TBC novella. I cried so bad for the characters I thought I wouldn't meet again if not re-reading the adventures I already knew. But this was a beautiful gift Cassie, Sarah and Maureen so thank you for giving me the opportunity to see my Tessa concerned for his beautiful boy and Wi
Sinead
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, sad, young-adult
I felt so bad for young James Herondale in this tale, and all the hardships he's had to go through so far in his short life, despite the overwhelming love he has received from his family and friends. Of course, because of the amount of unconditional love in his life, James was not prepared for the terrible pain heartbreak can cause. Another favourite in the Bane Chronicles.
Angigames
La Clare certe volte mi fa proprio inca*****!
Non contenta della lunga lama affilata che mi ha piantato nel cuore col finale di Clockwork Princess e del successivo contentino che mi ha rifilato con l’epilogo (voleva a tutti i costi rendermi meno amara la pillola, ma a me quel contentino ancora non è andato giù! Proprio NO!), ecco che riporta il geniale Magnus a Londra “tra le braccia” della famiglia Herondale al completo (con tanto di zii acquisiti).
Fin qui poco male, il coltello continua a girar
Meital
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want 'The Last Hours' now!!!
There are theories running through my head right now about the series that is due to be released next year
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
En The Midnight Heir, Cassandra Clare nos rompe el corazón al presentarnos a un atormentado James Herondale, el hijo de Tessa y Will. El chico, como su padre en sus inicios, piensa que está maldito, que no merece nada bueno en la vida y que es poco más que una escoria, así que por eso bebe, apuesta y crea grandes escándalos en las noches londinenses. Lo triste aquí es que, a diferencia de Will, James no permite que nadie lo ayude, ni siquiera sus padres o Magnus.

Los Herondale van a acabar con n
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
Maria Kravtzov
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
אז אני רוצה לדעת הכל על ג׳יימס ברגע זה. בבקשה קסנדרה?
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{March 11th, 2015} MINI REVIEW

4.5 stars.

SPOILERS i guess

APPARENTLY I FORGOT TO NOTE THIS OMG

Well this is despairingly shocking of me. I could have sworn I wrote a status update on this one but apparently I didn't. HOWEVER this was a nice peek into what the The Lost Hours trilogy will be like and set up in terms of characters and plot-wise. There's been talk of this trilogy for a while now and the children from The Infernal Devices appearing to take the spotlight in this trilogy from their parent
Matilda
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
WE HAVE THE RETURN OF JEM WILL AND TESSA!!!!!!
so far this has been the best one there was less Magnus in it( even though he is narrating the whole thing) But we have WILL TESSA AND JEM!!! AND JAMIE who is Will's son and I must say so far seems like a box of fireworks..

CASSANDRA CLARE IS A AWESOME WRITER she has managed to link TLH ( I think that is the name) with this. we have this blooming short book left open no conclusive ending!!!! But not for the next BANE chronicle but for this new series
Diego Alfaro
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO.GOOD.
Ivy
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was enjoyable to see Tessa, Will, and Jem again. Poor James. I wonder if Tatiana will be able to resurrect her son.
Daniela
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By the Angel.
La verdad es que no estaba convencida de TLH, quiero decir, para mí el final de Princesa Mecánica fue perfecto, no necesitaba nada más, no quería nada más porque cualquier cosa extra podía arruinar la perfección de ese final, pero OH BY THE ANGEL, how wrong I was.
Por supuesto que necesito más, es que Cassie Clare nunca decepciona. Y esta vez me ha dejado intrigada a más no poder, y esa intriga tiene nombre y apellido: James Herondale.

"Y así fue como la pobre lectora cayó rendida a
Kasey
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
UGGH THE FUCKING FEELS! I loved seeing Will and Tessa again. Even though will has gotten older, he hasn't really changed. I just started bawling when Magnus brought up to Tessa about Will dying. I was just like NO MAGNUS STFU! It was great to see them together but also a stab in the heart. Why did Cassie have to write that epilogue!? It just tears my heart open every time I read about my poor Will. James... Haha James. Magnus is right "I see a flair for dramatic runs in the blood." Lol. One of m ...more
Annie Brewer
*sighs*

*wipes tears*

*deep breaths*

I can never seem to form coherent thoughts when it comes to Cassandra Clare's work of art. This was one of the chronicles I had been waiting months for. I bought the whole book with each short story thrown in just the other day when it finally released. I bought it for just this one story in particular. I read the first Bane Chronicles story and enjoyed it. I always enjoy Magnus. He's definitely one of my favorite characters of both TMI/TID. He's just such a com
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium,  #4)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Adrian's Lost Chapter (Bloodlines, #0.5)
  • Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey, #4.5)
  • Lila Shortcuts (Lila, #0.5-0.7)
  • Die for Her (Revenants, #2.5)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (The Grisha, #2.5)
  • Breathless (Elemental, #2.5)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
  • Stopping Time (Wicked Lovely, #2.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy (Steampunk Chronicles, #2.5)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Bane Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Runaway Queen (The Bane Chronicles, #2)
  • Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (The Bane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Rise of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #5)
  • Saving Raphael Santiago (The Bane Chronicles, #6)
  • The Fall of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #7)
  • What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (The Bane Chronicles, #8)
  • The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles, #9)
  • The Course of True Love [and First Dates] (The Bane Chronicles, #10)
  • The Voicemail of Magnus Bane (The Bane Chronicles, #11)

“Do stop flirting with my husband," said Tessa.
"I shall not," Magnus declared, "but I will pause briefly so that I may catch up on your news.”
205 likes
“Hello, Uncle Brother Zachariah," James said without opening his eyes. "I would say that I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm sure this is the most excitement you've had all year. Not so lively in the City of Bones, now is it?"
"James!" Will snapped. "Don't talk to Jem like that."
"As if I am not used to badly behaved Herondales, Brother Zachariah said, in the way Jem had always tried to make peace between Will and the world.”
133 likes