Start by marking “Identical (Kindle County Legal Thriller #9)” as Want to Read:
Identical (Kindle County Legal Thriller #9)

Identical

(Kindle County Legal Thriller #9)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  8,436 ratings  ·  1,193 reviews
IDENTICAL, based loosely on the myth of Castor and Pollux, is the story of identical twins Paul and Cass Giannis and the complex relationships between their family and their former neighbors, the Kronons. The novel focuses principally on events in 2008, when Paul is a candidate for Mayor of Kindle County, and Cass is released from the penitentiary, 25 years after pleading ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2013)

·  8,436 ratings  ·  1,193 reviews

Start your review of Identical (Kindle County Legal Thriller #9)
Zoeytron
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: public-library
A young woman is murdered in her own bed, and a sentence is served. But it is not destined to end there. Secrets carefully plucked from an addled mind lend credence to another possibility. Paul and Cass Gianis. Identical twins . . . or are they?

(view spoiler)

It was a very high bar indeed that was set with Turow's Presumed Innocent. Truth be told, I would have been happier rereading that one than I was
Valerie
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fluff, mystery
Amanda Patterson
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like 'Identical'. I was a Scott Turow fan when 'Presumed Innocent' was released but I read his next novels with a set of mixed emotions. I always felt he was trying too hard after the phenomenal success of his first book.
'Identical' is no different. It's as if he's forgotten the art of good story-telling. He concentrates on so many characters and twists and turns that I was more bewildered than enthralled.
In Identical, Turow tells the story of twins involved in a 26-year-old murder
Tucker Elliot
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“People see what they want to”

There’s a point in IDENTICAL where author Scott Turow essentially offers the main theme of the book through one of his characters when he writes: “People see what they want to.” I think that’s true about the BOOKLIST review that's posted on the Amazon page as well – the reviewer states that IDENTICAL is “a strained reworking of the [innocence] theme,” “a disappointment,” that “much of this book is weighed down by unnecessary accounts of characters’ lives,” and “
Olivia "So many books--so little time.""
This superb legal thriller is the story of a couple of identical twins. Paul is a state senator and is running for mayor. Cass is about to be released from prison, having served a 25-year sentence for murdering his girlfriend. The plot is excellent, with many surprises.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Did Scott Turow REALLY write this book!?! Where is the easy storyteller that whispers in my ear when I read Turow? AND WHERE IS SANDY STERN????????

I really wanted to like Identical, but it was just plain awful. The book structure was really bad and I felt nothing for the characters, except for Tim and Evon. I kept reading this god awful novel just to see what happened to them.

I read an excerpt of Innocent, and immediately saw the Scott Turow I came to know and love years ago. I should have read
Patrice Hoffman
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scott Turow's latest Identical is definitely the must-read legal thriller of the year. Although thriller doesn't seem fair since it isn't really thrilling in the usual sense but there's a mystery just as well that's needed to be solved. Turow's most famous work Presumed Innocent has probably made him an abundance of loyal fans who will buy this book just for his namesake, but the plus is that it's also satisfyingly written.

Paul and Cass Gianis (a play on the names in the Greek myth Pollux and
Una Tiers
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A slow start, with confusing sections that developed into a great plot, but was spoiled a tad by trying too hard. This afternoon I will have to attend PA plot addicts anonymous.
David
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the beginning, it was clear that Cass had killed his girlfriend, Diti. After all, he confessed his murder to the police. But Diti's brother, Hal, always thought that Cass' identical brother, Paul, had something to do with it. Twenty-five years later, when Cass was released from prison, the story really begins. Since at this time Paul was running for mayor, and Hal was very rich, Hal sponsored an advertisement blitz, accusing Paul of "something". And, it would be very difficult for Paul to ...more
Jay Connor
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed each of Scott Turow’s nine novels, starting with “Presumed Innocent.” He and John Grisham have had parallel careers for me. Both of their first novels – “A Time to Kill” for Grisham – were published in 1989. Both were practicing attorneys who were drafting their first novels during breaks in court appearances and at night and weekends. Both are excellent storytellers – Turow is perhaps the better plot master, Grisham the better definer of character. The main difference is output. ...more
Jill
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Scott Turow has written another convoluted mystery set in fictional Kindle County, somewhere in the Midwest. Most of the narrative takes place in 2008, but the plot revolves around a murder of a beautiful young girl in 1982. Two of the main characters are brothers - identical twins, one of whom, Cass, had been the victim’s boyfriend and who has just been released from prison after serving 25 years for the murder. Meanwhile, the other brother, Paul, has become a very successful lawyer who is now ...more
Julie
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Identical by Scott Turow is an Oct.15, 2013 publication by Grand Central Publishing. I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Hal, the heir to his father's vast fortune, lost his sister when she was in her early twenties, murdered in her bed.
Now, the man he believes is responsible for her death, Paul Gianis, is running for Mayor of Kindle County. Hal makes a very public accusation against Paul and his advisors recommends that he sue Hal.

Cynthia
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Courtroom drama and medical forensics
Two men, identical twins, one goes to jail at age 25 for the murder of his sweetheart. His brother becomes a respected attorney and a politician. This is a courtroom drama intermixed with medical forensics pertaining to twins' DNA. Can they be distinguished with any certainty? Turow also dances around faulty police work and the influence the rich and famous can bring to a case. Turow also looks at identity as a more general concept. Who one identifies with
Carol
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Cynthia
Shelves: fiction
So much to read, how could I drop it all to read Identical? My all-time fascination with twins got the best of me. Identical was not the next on my list but when I read comments by my GR friend Cynthia, I rushed to my library and was the first to grab the just processed book. Lucky me.

Identical met all my expectations. I've read Turow before and loved Presumed Innocent though I've yet to read Innocent where characters from the first clash yet again. Identical is based loosely on the Greek myth
Jerry B
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
We’ve read Turow’s entire booklist, always feeling he is a bit more of a “thinking man’s” legal thriller writer than Grisham, who perhaps weaves a more compelling tale. “Identical”, the title referring to twins who wind up impersonating each other, hardly an original thought, revolves around a 25-year-old murder for which one of the twins, Cass, pled guilty and served the long prison term. Upon his release, brother Paul is running for mayor when the murder victim’s brother starts running ...more
Melinda Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Benjamin baschinsky
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not worth going into . Not my taste .
Mahoghani 23
The Twists throughout this book was more perplexing than needed. The story was over analyzed but showed how the author attempted to interlace the plot to the characters. Identical twins, where the majority of the people could not tell them apart, schemed & succeeded in deceiving everyone for over 25 years. Paul & Cassian Gianis are accused by a longtime family friend for a crime neither committed are now required to prove their innocence.

Each character plays a substantial role in
Liz Barnsley
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher for the review copy.

Two families entangled in a long and complex history of love and deceit . . Twenty five years ago, after a society picnic held by businessman and politician Zeus Kronon, Zeus’ headstrong daughter Dita was found murdered. Her boyfriend, Cass Gianis, confessed to the crime.Now Cass has been released from prison into the care of his twin, Mayoral candidate Paul Gianis, who is in the middle of a high profile political campaign. But Dita’s brother Hal is
JoAnne Pulcino
IDENTICAL

Scott Turow

Identical is as close to a Greek tragedy as you can get in modern day fiction.

Mr. Turow is an excellent writer of legal fiction beginning with PRESUMED INNOCENCE, and here he attempts to call upon the legend of the ancient Greek myth of Castor and Pollux. They are the twin sons of Zeus, one of whom is immortal and the other mortal.

IDENTICAL begins when one of the twin brothers, Cass Gianni is being released from prison 25 years after pleading guilty to killing his girlfriend,
Connie D
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another character-driven, twisty mystery by Scott Turow. At the base of it is a pair of twins, one of whom goes to prison for murdering his then girlfriend. Twenty-five years later, when the indicted, Cass, is about to get out of prison, the victim's brother, Hal, accuses the other brother, Paul, of also being involved in the murder. Hal's attempt to destroy Paul's campaign for mayor results in a slander lawsuit and private detectives digging deeper into the case than ever before.

This
Lewis Weinstein
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The plot is not close to believable and I knew who the killer was very early, which is unusual for me since I don't try to "solve" the crime when I read. However, there are so many very clever turns and twists (really clever) that I finished the book and actually enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it more if there was more attention to any of the characters earlier in the book. There was some at the end, actually moving in the instance of the 82 year old detective, but it came late in the read.
Lobstergirl
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: George Soros

This was a decent read, not great, not horrible. I don't read a lot of legal thrillers. I did like the nitty gritty legal aspects of this one, like the judge's ruling on whether a subpoena in a case that was being dismissed was still valid. Surprisingly, it was in this case...

The plot, involving identical twins and their DNA and fingerprints, confusing identities, a 25 year old murder, and two middle-aged lesbians ending a relationship, had some good twists and turns.

It won't be spoiling
Kerfe
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
Andy Miller
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scott Turow is my favorite "lawyer" novelist, in fact he is one of my favorite novelists period. I was disappointed in his last novel"Innocent" and am glad to see he is back to form with "Identical"

Yes, I wish the plot, a twin brother is released from prison for killing his girlfriend 25 years earlier while his brother went on to become a successful prosecutor and then plaintiff's lawyer/politician and the victim's brother spends some of his fortune gaining revenge by running tv commercials
Dick Reynolds
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Paul and Cass Gianis are identical twins from a large Greek family. They are very close and even slept together when they were toddlers. In 1982, Cass’s girlfriend Dita Kronon (a nickname for Aphrodite), also a member of a Greek family, is murdered and Cass is strongly implicated in the crime. Paul, who is an attorney, defends Cass and cops a plea on his behalf for twenty-five years in a minimum security prison. Paul, however, has admitted verbally that Cass didn’t murder Dita.
Fast forward now
Jo Dervan
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cass and Paul Gianis are identical twins. Their lives are intertwined and their closeness has disastrous results. The 2 boys are members of the tight knit Greek community in their Midwestern city. Their mother, Lidia, has kept dark secrets from the boys as they grew up. When one of the boys, Cass, becomes involved with the tempestuous Dita, the daughter of a very successful man, Zeus, Lidia is unhappy.

There is a large cultural affair on the grounds on Zeus' home and that evening Dita is found
Joe
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
After reading Presumed Innocent, I read all Turow's subsequent novels thinking, just maybe, he might write another as good as that first novel. Now after reading his latest, identical, I'm thinking maybe that first one really wasn't all that good either. Turow has a way of taking the reader for a long, long ride pointing out many semi-interesting things as he goes along. In identical, he plays a written version of clue stacking up the suspects and dismissing them routinely until his has consumed ...more
Wayland Smith
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
It sounds like a hokey set up. There's a murder, and there are twins involved, and really, haven't we seen this on every soap opera ever?

Well, as it turns out, no. No we haven't.

Scott Turow does a brilliant job blending a murder mystery, mythology, modern genetics, a plot full of devious twists and turns, and some really likeable characters. I went into this a bit warily, and the story grew on me. It was amazingly well done.

The book is split between 1982, when a horrible murder shatters a
Tgordon
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
So big crazy twist which is what us true mystery lovers crave! Identical twins who honestly seem way crazy close but again I don’t have that link so who am I to judge. One twin incarcerated for 25 years for killing his girlfriend the other is a political king on his was to bigger and better things. They always maintained the charged twins innocence but lived with the sentence. So twin is getting out but the brother of the murdered is screaming that he should not and that both twins had something ...more
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 46: Identical 10 71 Apr 18, 2016 06:47AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Identical by Scott Turow 2 12 Mar 09, 2015 06:53PM
murder mystery with a twist 1 16 Jun 14, 2014 11:30PM
Goodreads Librari...: Different titles, Same editons? 2 24 Dec 26, 2013 10:55PM
52 weeks, 52 books: My review of Identical 1 31 Nov 18, 2013 07:30PM

• The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry, #4)
  • You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance and Living Your Purpose
  • Luis Suarez
  • The Vinyl Cafe, the unreleased stories
  • Tangle Journey: Exploring the Far Reaches of Tangle Drawing, from Simple Strokes to Color and Mixed Media
  • Zentangle Dingbatz: Patterns & Projects for Dynamic Tangled Ornaments & Decorations
  • Pattern Play: a Zentangle Creativity Boost
  • Tuesday's Child
  • Spare Brides
  • Mastaan: The Fallen Patriot of Delhi
  • Highway of Tears: A True Story of Racism, Indifference and the Pursuit of Justice for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
  • Kanpur Koofiya pvt Ltd
  • Rouse
  • Taming Val (The Romanovsky Brothers, #1)
  • Capative: Lincoln Hill's Story
  • Quiver
  • Finding Gary (The Romanovsky Brothers Book 4)
  • The Hiding Game
Scott Turow is the author of ten bestselling works of fiction, including IDENTICAL, INNOCENT, PRESUMED INNOCENT, and THE BURDEN OF PROOF, and two nonfiction books, including ONE L, about his experience as a law student. His books have been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than thirty million copies worldwide, and have been adapted into movies and television projects. He has ...more

Kindle County Legal Thriller (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Presumed Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller #1)
  • The Burden of Proof (Kindle County Legal Thriller #2)
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller #3)
  • The Laws Of Our Fathers (Kindle County Legal Thriller #4)
  • Personal Injuries (Kindle County Legal Thriller #5)
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller #6)
  • Limitations (Kindle County Legal Thriller #7)
  • Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller #8)
  • Testimony (Kindle County Legal Thriller #10)
  • The Last Trial  (Kindle County Legal Thriller #11)
“Aristophanes says we were all four-legged creatures to start, some the same sex, but most half man and half woman. Zeus was afraid us humans would get too powerful so he sliced us right down the middle, and everybody spends their life looking for the matching piece.” 4 likes
“You accept that it happened. But you know that life burned this hole in your heart and it's not going to heal.” 3 likes