Start by marking “Deadline” as Want to Read:
Deadline

Deadline

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  14,087 ratings  ·  1,429 reviews
Dawson Scott is a well-respected journalist recently returned from Afghanistan. Haunted by everything he experienced, he's privately suffering from battle fatigue which is a threat to every aspect of his life. But then he gets a call from a source within the FBI. A new development has come to light in a story that began 40 years ago. It could be the BIG story of Dawson's c ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

·  14,087 ratings  ·  1,429 reviews

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
3.5 Stars

I don’t know why but I didn’t love this one. I enjoyed the first part but the second part was too much – too many events, too many secrets, too many twists, too much everything.

And the heroine irritated me for some reason. Not that she was weak or stupid. On the contrary. I just couldn’t connect with her.

I even skimmed the sex scenes.

Yeah, about that.

I read a lot of reviews here and on Amazon complaining about too many sex scenes in this book.

Seriously?

Did we read the same book?

I
Jill
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Dawson Scott is back home after spending nine months in Afghanistan covering the war. A respected journalist his experiences in the warzone have left him wrung out and suffering from PTSD. When his friend and godfather, Gary Headly a soon-to-be-retired FBI agent, asks him to cover the trial of a man accused of killing his wife and her lover, former Marine Captain Jeremy Wesson, he reluctantly agrees.

In 1976, Headly was a rookie agent involved in a shootout with a group of domestic terro
Mo
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dawson Scott is covering the disappearance and presumed murder of former Marine Jeremy Wesson, the biological son of the pair of terrorists who remain on the FBI's Most Wanted list.

I read a few reviews prior to reading this one. But mostly stayed away from them. I saw the big twist coming. No idea how I did. Not exactly the revelation but (view spoiler)
♥Sharon♥
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
 photo deadline_zps78d1fd5a.jpg
I know I am handing out 5 stars to this author like it is nothing, but I'm hooked. I love her writing. I love the suspense. I love the longing for the sexy moments. I love the intrigue.

Deadline was another winner for me. Sandra Brown writes her stories with such depth, filled with suspense, mysterious characters, twists and turns and that slow burn of a romantic connection that will keep every single one of your emotions tingling.

Dawson Scott is a staff writer for NewsFront magazine. His stori
Ingie
Written April 13, 2015

4 Stars - Excellent plot in an enviable beautiful beach-house environment. I felt the murmur of the sea... and from the villains

photo 57473c9561ff7cc04c2292cd692de502_zpse4540951.jpg

Deadline was yet another solid good suspence audiobook romance... my new favorite genre maybe. Not a boring minute and as my all Sandra Brown fan friends (more or less 5 stars from them all) am I very glad and pleased about this one but maybe not stunned.

***********************************************************

A new development has come to ligh
Duchess Nicole
What a twisty, turny tale of "what's happening now?". This was a pretty long book...I listened to the audio, so that made it even longer. I was going with four stars, but toward the end, there is a huge twist that I promise you won't see coming. And that twist made me rethink the entirety of the story, changing my perception of it altogether. I LOVE when that happens!! It's a big WOW, and one of those things that makes Sandra Brown such a favorite author of mine. I wasn't a huge fan of her early ...more
Didi
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic book! I love getting surprised and thinking I have something figured out only to learn I know absolutely nothing! The plot was tight and incredibly well written, the characters well rounded and full of depth and the slowly evolving romance was sweet. Having it written in third person with diary entries of one of the secondary characters was genius. As I was reading I'd get a feel for something and then have that knowledge deepened with a diary entry that helped enhance the pov o ...more
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

I'm just going to do a mini review, but this story was brilliant!

Dawson, a star reporter, returns from Afghanistan battered by war and suffering from PTSD. At the request of his godfather, a retiring FBI agent, Dawson goes to cover a murder trial he has no interest in. This all changes when Amelia, the beautiful ex-wife of the murdered, takes the stand. Dawson is helpless in his desire to get to the bottom of things. His past and the present collide putting all involved in great danger
Karla

4.5 Stars! Sandra Brown manipulates the mind of the reader as well as Carl Wingert, the crazed sociopath, controlled the minds of his followers.

Heavy on the suspense/mystery with a sweet romantic thread...just the way I like it in this genre of book. The author's all about the shock value, and at times what was revealed, rocked me to my core. I love when an author makes me hate the villain as much as I despised this one! I wanted to smash Carl Wingert in the face with a hammer for all the hatef
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
3 stars

Now that this is my third SB book, I know what to expect. These books lingers on your mind until you find out the full story. I've always felt like romance wise the main characters hook ups are a bit random. However that's not the main reason it didn't get higher ratings, but because I had the twists all sussed out and when it didn't surprise me it turned into another average read.

I will recommend if you enjoy:
Suspense
Twist and turns
Likeable heroine
Irene Sim
Deadline by Sandra Brown is another gripping suspense novel. I must confess that the woman has a way to keep me on my toes and as much as I try to guess on the plot there are always spots that take me totaly by surprise...

This story is no exception.

I won't go into details about the plot because it's better if you go in with no warning, but I will say that in this story there is an insident that happent almost 40 years ago, and still affects the life of the protagonist today.

This story deals wit
Anne OK
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Very well written romantic suspense by Sandra Brown. The last two books from her have been winners for me which puts a smile on my face. I've missed the Sandra Brown that introduced me to this favored genre. She kicked up the romance in this one but suspense still remains the center focus. And believe me, the suspense in this one was driven by well-developed characters and a generational crime spree that just kept on giving over and over throughout the years. I was captivated and awed by the ent ...more
Karen

”…I can’t have you.”
“You just did.”
“You know what I mean.”
“I know you want me.”
“Only with every fucking breath.”
“Then why are you doing this?”
“Because you had one selfish bastard who damn near ruined your life, I won’t be the second one.”

Are you really surprised? I’m not. So far, I believe Sandra Brown has earned a 5’er from each and every book I’ve read. Now, keep in mind, the woman has written a shit load of books, and I’ve only read a hand full. But I will be expanding
Wendy
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apr-15
I have been a fan of Sandra Brown's work for many years and "Deadline" didn't disappoint. Fast-paced suspense with shocking twists and turns.
Many years ago there was a shootout between the FBI and a gang of homegrown terrorists. Most of the officers and the gang died but the leader, his woman, and their new born baby were able to escape.
Many years later, Dawson Scott, a journalist recently returned from Afghanistan is suffering from PTSD with recurring nightmares. He is convinced by his godfathe
Alex is The Romance Fox
I have been reading books by this author since the 80's and though Deadline is not one of my top favourites, it still did not disappoint me.

A ell-written, good paced, multi-layered plot with amazing twists that deal with domestic terrorism in America, the effects of war and the evil and darkness that lurks underneath the most innocent and placid people and places that one can never imagine.

Dawson Scott an investigative reporter, who experienced some horrors whilst covering the war in Afghanistan
Michael
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Michael by: Nicole Rohr
A well crafted and steamy novel in the genre of romantic suspense. Normally my eyes just bounce off the scads of Brown’s books that come in my path. But I screen a lot of books with a neighbor couple, and both were enthused over this one, The man shares my interest in the best of action thrillers and hard boiled detective fare (think Lee Child or Michael Connelly), while the woman helps me find family dramas and comic human interest tales (from Evanovitch to The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry). I’m ...more
[Aengell]
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Deadline was my first book by Sandra Brown, and I'm so, so glad I tried her out. In fact, I had to read another one of hers right away, but am taking a break for now, as to not spoil my new-found love.

Deadline has everything a classical Romantic Suspense story should have. I didn't find any aspect lacking, despite the fact that the romance didn't have the highest priority here.

I'm in awe of this authors talent and can confirm it in every regard.

The romance is just right, with a slow
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️

I didn't like this one as much as I liked the last. Mean Streak.
The mystery, suspense were all well done so I guess the problem lay with the "romantic" part of the romantic suspense.
It's something I noticed in both books. The lack of actual romance, the intimacy, the getting to know, falling in love, the little things. I missed these, so essentially it just felt abrupt. One day they didn't know each other and the next day they were a bona fide thing.
*shrugs*
The MCs irritated me in this one, the
Rachel
Overall rating: 5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Deadline is a standalone novel written by author Sandra Brown. I have only recently discovered this very seasoned author and have been wanting to read more from her. While researching her different novels, I read some of her online interviews that were posted while she was marketing her 2013 release of Deadline. I decided to read Deadline simply because of where Ms. Brown's inspiration came from. Based on one of the interviews, Ms. Brown participated in a 2011 USO tour to Afghanistan for a meet- ...more
Piper
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
High praises for my first Sandra Brown novel and solid assurances that it will not be my last. It was great from beginning to end! This story incorporated moments of tenderness, sadness, revulsion, doubt, pity, humor, passion, loyalty, suspense, and much more. The characters were all believable, and they played their parts well. I loved the hero and heroine and applaud the strength they demonstrated throughout each of their personal struggles as the story unfolded.
Many of the secondary characte
Farah ファラ
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Through my second sister, I got to know Sandra Brown. Her books used to be the ones I read first. Mcnaught, Robert, Miller, Spencer were always 2nd best. Now however, if I have a Lee Winter book next to Sandra Brown's. I'll devour Ms. Winter's first then only Ms.Brown's.
In this story, I found the hero, Dawson Scott as the main attraction. He was different from the rest of Brown's heroes. Yes, he had zombies in his closet, a typical characterization but he was hardly an asshole, he was laid back,
Pamela(AllHoney)
Dawson Scott, a well-respected journalist, is persuaded by his godfather and friend, Gary Headley, to go to Savannah Georgia and check out the trial of a man accused of murdering his wife and her lover. Amelia Nolan is the ex-wife of the murdered man and the mother of his two sons. But her ex-husband's body was never found and there is so much more to the story and it began nearly forty years before.

I really enjoyed this book. For a while it felt a little predictable but then Ms. Brown threw a f
Brandie
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished a book after 2 weeks. And it wasn't because this book wasn't good - it's fantastic! Book slump + no reading time makes me an unhappy bookworm, but I'm glad I picked this one up - so good!!
Mei
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Alleluia!!!

A book without TSTL main characters!

A book with a logical, interesting action and with intelligent, sensible people.

I liked it. I liked it very much!

The story was engrossing and intriguing, nicely paced and with nice writing without an overtly complicated sentences. It was a joy to read.

The love story was perfectly set in the story: not too much and not to few. Just perfect! The hotness factor was also very nice and perfectly timed.

I remembered why I like this author! ;)
Jackie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Wonderful twists and turns! Love this author! ❤❤❤❤ ...more
Lyuda
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lyuda by: Jill
Very entertaining suspense/thriller with a small dose of romance. This was a good combination as romance didn’t necessary work for me -wasn’t “romantic” enough. But suspense more than compensated for it.

Full of twist and turns, this was a thrill ride from beginning to end. When I thought I figured something out, the next turn of events would through my theory out of window. The author did an excellent job in capturing male perspective and the dialogue was tight, fast-paced and realistic. The on
Yomi M.
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating Clarification: 4.5 stars

Will post my thoughts later.
Laylaw
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 tortured soul stars! No one, and I mean no one, can weave a tale so intrically as Sandra Brown. You become consumed with the story to the point that you are devouring each and every page like you are starving. From the very first page you are sucked into the story. Its 1976 and the FBI, the US Marshals, and local law enforcement has a house pinned down to serve warrants on suspected home grown terrorists who are anti-government when shots ring out...

Flash Forward and we have Dawson Scott retur
Linda Howard Book...: June '18 Non-LH BOTM - Deadline 8 7 Jun 21, 2018 09:21AM
Goodreads Librari...: correct page count 1 11 May 23, 2018 10:58PM
J.D. Robb : October Book Discussions - Deadline by Sandra Brown 101 45 Nov 24, 2014 05:56AM
Sanda Brown Super...: Deadline 5 17 Nov 15, 2014 01:59AM

• Heartless (The House of Rohan, #5)
  • Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1)
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)
  • Run from Fear (Dead Wrong, #3)
  • Skin Heat (Skin, #3)
  • Icebound
  • Don't Look Back
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including STING (2016), FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), & LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy
“People reveal as much by their silence as they do by what they say.” 9 likes