Start by marking “Burial Rites” as Want to Read:
Burial Rites

Burial Rites

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  75,649 ratings  ·  10,462 reviews
A brilliant literary debut, inspired by a true story: the final days of a young woman accused of murder in Iceland in 1829.

Set against Iceland's stark landscape, Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution.

Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murd
Published September 10th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Burial Rites, please sign up.
Elizabeth Perez According to the Bible they basically mean truth, or that's what it seems to boil down to. In every other place I've looked up the symbolism it all…moreAccording to the Bible they basically mean truth, or that's what it seems to boil down to. In every other place I've looked up the symbolism it all has connotations that are positive, like stability, hardness and endurance. Dream dictionaries say it represents strength and unity.

I think the author meant that her sentence is set in stone? I had a feeling that it was her fate but I can't find anything that supports that thought.(less)
Tayla I do hope you finished the book. I admit it it a bit hard to get through the first time of reading it however if you read it again (if you dare to do…moreI do hope you finished the book. I admit it it a bit hard to get through the first time of reading it however if you read it again (if you dare to do so) you will begin to see various symbols and views and values conveyed by Hannah Kent that you might not have picked up on before. I suppose you could say you need to think outside the box a bit more when reading this book to uncover the 'true meaning'.(less)

·  75,649 ratings  ·  10,462 reviews

Chrissie
I cannot write a review that can do this book justice. This is what goes through my head:

* I am so happy I give few books five stars, because then when I run into a book this good my five star rating means something!

* You need a strong stomach for this book. I have warned you.

* Once you start you will not be able to read or do anything else.

* There is NO humor in this book. I always need humor, except NOT here. Don't ask me why! I just didn't need it. I was r
Regan
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bleak but beautiful.
Reynje
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“They will say ‘Agnes’ and see the spider, the witch caught in the webbing of her own fateful weaving. They might see the lamb circled by ravens, bleating for a lost mother. But they will not see me. I will not be there.”
On 12 January, 1830, the last instance of capital punishment in Iceland occurred when Friðrik Sigurðsson and Agnes Magnúsdóttir were executed in Vatnsdalshólar in Húnavatnssýsla, for the murder of two men.

While often painted as “monstrous”, a cold-blooded murderer, a figure of La
PirateSteve
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, this ain't Little House On The Prairie; and Toti, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Through Hannah Kent's research we are transported to the early 1800's of rural Icelandic farming life.
With her considerable talent for writing, more research and her imagination for speculative biography we are privy to the story of Agnes Magnusdottir. Iceland's last female convicted murderer, sentenced to public execution.
Agnes has suffered through a life of hardships. Through all that b
Maureen
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Five stars with bells on! It is rare to find a debut novel as sophisticated, beautiful, and gripping as this one. The desolation of the harsh Icelandic winter is felt in the very bones, it's so hauntingly descriptive. The feelings of despair & the depth of fear are such, that I was almost holding my breath at times. I resented any intrusion that halted my reading of this book, that's how gripping I found it. Hannah Kent has announced her arrival in the literary world with an absolute gem of ...more
Caz (littlebookowl)
So haunting, so beautiful.
Hannah Greendale
It is the early nineteenth century. Agnes Magnúsdóttir is charged with the murder of two men and is delivered to a small house on an isolated farm in northern Iceland, where she must tend to daily chores and seek spiritual guidance from a priest named Toti, while she awaits her execution.

They will see the whore, the madwoman, the murderess, the female dripping blood into the grass and laughing with her mouth choked with dirt. They will say "Agnes" and see the spider, the witch caught in the web
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
The writing is magnificent and fragile from the first sentence.....
"They said I must die". They said that I stole the breath from men, and now they must steal mine.

A 'woman' waits her public execution in Iceland in 1829...faces her mortality.
Gloomy, distressing, haunting, and captivating.

Off the chart-debut-writing talent for Hannah Kent!!! Incredible story!!!!
Nat
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, library
“What sort of woman kills men?”

In northern Iceland, 1829, Agnes Magnúsdóttir is condemned to death for her part in the brutal murder of two men.

Agnes is sent to wait out the time leading to her execution on the farm of District Officer Jón Jónsson, his wife and their two daughters. Horrified to have a convicted murderess in their midst, the family avoids speaking with Agnes. Only Tóti, the young assistant reverend appointed as Agnes' spiritual guardian, is compelled to try to understand her, as he attempts to s
Amalia Gavea
When you already know how a story ends and yet, you find yourself agonizing over the fate of its protagonists willing for History to change direction, it says a lot about the writer's talent to make you so interested in the novel that you deny reality. This is what happens with Hannah Kent's Burial Rites.

The haunting, almost harrowing, landscape of Iceland becomes a character as significant as Agnes, Tóti, Natan and Margret. Each character springs out of the pages and right into your soul. Agnes'
Chelsey
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I have literally just closed the covers on this book and my heart feels heavy. A novel based on true events and characters, Burial Rites tells the story of Agnes Magnusdottir; a woman condemned to death for the murder of her employer.

This was a haunting read; from the eerie prose, dripping in darkness, to the ravens that constantly circle the farms, waiting for a sign of vulnerability from the animals.

Hannah Kent creates the atmosphere of rural Iceland in the 1800's with flawless accuracy. I c
Candi
"They said I must die. They said that I stole the breath from men, and now they must steal mine. I imagine, then, that we are all candle flames, greasy-bright, fluttering in the darkness and the howl of the wind, and in the stillness of the room I hear footsteps, awful coming footsteps, coming to blow me out and send my life up away from me in a gray wreath of smoke."

The words of Agnes Magnúsdóttir, convicted for the murders of two men and awaiting execution in early nineteenth century Iceland
Julie
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent is a 2013 Little, Brown and Company publication.

This story is mind-boggling and perhaps a little overwhelming at times.

As the blurb states, this story is inspired by true events that took place in Iceland in 1829-30.

Agnes, is convicted of murdering two people, one of whom was her lover, then sentenced to be executed by beheading.

She is sent to live out the remainder of her days on an isolated farm with a family forced to take her in because
jessica
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘they said i must die. they said that i stole the breath from the men, and now they must steal mine.’

on 12 january 1830, agnes magnúsdóttir was beheaded for her accused and convicted involvement in the murder of two men. she was the last person to be executed in iceland. this is her story.

her hauntingly beautiful story. this book is such a good reminder that knowing what someone has done, and knowing who someone is, are two completely separate things. i appreciated the care with which this story was
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
The writing was beautiful and as far as novels go this is one of the most atmospheric that I've read, but it just wasn't enough for me to love the book. The story itself is pretty sad (which I'm fine with) but there wasn't really enough going on plot-wise, or character-wise, for me to properly enjoy the book. The intrigue that I felt at the very beginning sort of petered away as the story went on, but I definitely loved the beginning!
B the BookAddict
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Recommended Reading
In 1829, Jon Jonsson is tasked with housing condemned murderer Agnes Magnusdottir at his family farm while she awaits her execution. Margret, Jon’s wife, has steeled herself and their two daughters to support Jon in his unenviable position. She is unprepared for the moment her resolve softens when she meets the prisoner for the first time.

The criminal wore what seem to be a servant’s common working dress of roughly woven wool, but one so badly stained and caked with dirt that the original/>“The
Dem
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading Burial Rites for the 3rd time (Book Club Choice) and its still manages to pack a punch third time around. This is one of my 10 ten favourite books as it is just so well written and so atmospheric.

Burial Rites is the extraordinary haunting debut novel by Hannah Kent an Australian Writer. This book is set in Iceland in 1829 and tells the story of Agnes Magnusdottir who was found guilty of murdering her employer as he slept. She was condemned to death. She was the last perso
Avidreader
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved the sense of time and place, the details of life in rural 19th century Iceland. But I thought the characterisation was too easy, too obvious. Kent states in the notes that she wanted to provide a more ambiguous portrayal of Agnus, who has historically been branded as evil. But Agnus from this book is too good, too normal. Her situation is bad, but her character is one a modern reader can easily sympathise with. She is intelligent, a hard worker, attractive in an interesting way (but not ...more
Debra
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding debut novel by Kent. I thought this was wonderfully written and the story captivating. I did not mind the change in voice. I found it enriched the story and was not confusing. This novel is based on a true story set in Iceland. A story of Agnes, a woman charged with the murder (along with 2 other servants) of her former employer.

After being imprisoned and beaten she is sent to live with a family while waiting for her execution. Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murder
Jaline
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xx2018-completed
Fredrik Sugurdsson, Sigridur (Sigga) Gudmundsdóttir, and Agnes Magnúsdóttir have been sentenced to death for the murders of Natan Ketilsson and Pétur Jónsson. They are initially imprisoned and then are literally “farmed out” to families in the surrounding areas to work until such time as their death sentence is to be enacted.

Agnes is found guilty of accessory to murder, arson, and conspiracy to murder. She ends up billeted with Jón Jónsson, the District Officer of Vatnsdalur, his wife Margrét, and their daughters Steinvör()
Paula Kalin
Burial Rites, shortlisted for the Bailey's prize in 2013, is a wonderfully haunting debut novel by Australian Hannah Kent.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this well written 1820s tale of Agnes Magnusdottier, convicted murderer of 2 men, who is sent to Northern Iceland to await her execution. This well researched factual novel tells her story of the relationships developed while living on an isolated farm. The unfolding and changing attitude of the farmer's wife, Margret, from being
Emma
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
'I am run through and through with disaster; I am knifed to the hilt with fate.'

Poor Agnes! This was a very well told story: evocative descriptions of the landscape, the farmers of Iceland and their tough life style...

I have read a lot of historical fiction, but never one set in this time and place, so the details of Icelandic farming in the 1800s were fascinating. Brutal conditions and yet (said from the comfort of my centrally heated home and with my on line food order
PattyMacDotComma
Another UPDATE Iceland is revisiting the circumstances of the trial. Fascinating stuff! Have a look.

UPDATE On 16 August 2017, the author added a video about the book to her website: http://hannahkentauthor.com/
The video itself is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpyAo...

5★+

“Rósa’s poetry kindled the shavings of my soul, and lit me up from within.”

Hannah Kent writes about a dark, forbidding time in an unforgiving landscape, but she shines her light into the shadows and into the hearts of some of the most remarkable people you’re likely to meet in literat/>“Rósa’s/>/>
Diane
Brrr! This wintry novel about a woman accused in the 1828 murders of two men in northern Iceland was filled with shiver-inducing descriptions of the harsh, yet beautiful, rural landscape. Even though I was reading this on a warm summer day, the chilly language made me think about reaching for a shawl.

Hannah Kent, who is from Australia, says she became interested in the true story of Agnes Magnusdottir when she traveled to Iceland in 2003. Agnes was the last person in the country to b
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5stars(rounded up)
For a full review please visit my my book blog

There's going to be a movie and Jennifer Lawrence will play Agnes. I'm not sure how I feel about that as Lawrence will always be Katniss Everdeen to me. But she is a great actress, so I am still excited for this story to be told through a movie

If you are looking for a fast paced, action packed, sinister novel - this book is NOT for you.
This is a novel about a woman sentenced to die. Her days are recollected and described in painful agony of everyday ta/>There's
Whitney Atkinson
I give up!!! DNF at 180 pages.

Monkey brain can't handle this. It's far too slow. The writing is nice, and I underlined a lot of parts that I liked, but NOTHING happens except in flashbacks, and even those are slow. Maybe I'll revisit it one day but it's just not the time for me to be reading such dense, slow prose right now
Diane S ☔
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is very hard to describe the atmosphere of this novel. The coldness, the loneliness, the lives hard lived permeate this book, as the story of Agnes is told. Well researched accounting of the last woman beheaded and the last case of capitol punishment in Iceland in 1830. This narrative follows the last months of her life and is hauntingly and movingly told.

The district is hard put to harbor a criminal awaiting death and so Agnes is put in the care of a good Christian farm family. H
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sublime. Astonishing. Beautiful. Two things astound me about this book, the first is that it is Hannah Kent's first novel. Simply put, it's a masterpiece. The second is that the novel is based on a true story.

The novel is atmospheric and beautiful, sad, sorrowful and pitiful moments are all the way through it, yet there is also kindness, warmth and courage. It's an incredible book.

It's set in Iceland in 1829-1830, a barren and unforgiving place and time to live. Agnes doe
Vanessa
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gloomy, atmospheric and vivid. I’m astounded this was Hannah Kent’s debut. Her level of research really elevating this book to a high standard. The writing is spot on and draws you into the story unravelling slowly and giving you a sense of dread and despair for what’s to come. It’s grim much like the cold Icelandic scenery. I was so entranced by the book I kept picturing this translating perfectly into film. I ended up finding out this is indeed going to be adapted into a movie! I know I’ll be ...more
Jenna
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenna by: Paula Kalin
Shelves: historical-fic
First, I owe a huge "Thank You" to my friends who have read and recommended this fantastic book! It is just as good as everyone said it is. Wow! Wow, wow, WOW!

Set in Iceland in 1829, Burial Rites is based on the real life story of Agnes Magnusdottier, a woman sentenced to execution for her role in a murder of two men. Because there are no prisons in which to hold her, Agnes is sent to live with a farming family. Understandably, this family is less than thrilled to have a convicted murderess stay
You'll love this ...: May 2019 - Burial Rites 105 33 May 20, 2019 06:07AM

• Svar við bréfi Helgu
  • Cold Light
  • The Secret River
  • The Untold
Hannah Kent was born in Adelaide in 1985. Her first novel, the international bestseller, Burial Rites (2013), was translated into 30 languages and was shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction (formerly the Orange Prize) and the Guardian First Book Award. It won the ABIA Literary Fiction Book of the Year, the Indie Awards Debut Fiction Book of the Year and the Victorian Premier's Peopl ...more
“To know what a person has done, and to know who a person is, are very different things.” 309 likes
“I can turn to that day as though it were a page in a book. It’s written so deeply upon my mind I can almost taste the ink.” 149 likes