Start by marking “Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers” as Want to Read:
Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs,  and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  17,906 ratings  ·  1,559 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Dr. Perlmutter, the devastating truth about the effects of wheat, sugar, and carbs on the brain, and a 4-week plan to achieve optimum health.

In Grain Brain, renowned neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, blows the lid off a finding that's been buried in medical literature for far too long: carbs are destroying your brain. Even
Published September 17th 2013 by Little, Brown Spark (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Grain Brain, please sign up.
Mel I would recommend trying it. You may want to ease into it if you don't already eat healthy. pgs 68-69 gives a list of foods to avoid.…moreI would recommend trying it. You may want to ease into it if you don't already eat healthy. pgs 68-69 gives a list of foods to avoid. (less)

·  17,906 ratings  ·  1,559 reviews

Start your review of Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers
Brian Gordon
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book as an advanced copy from Good Reads. In this book Dr. Pearlmutter makes the case that many healthy problems currently endemic in our society are directly related to our over consumption of carbohydrates, particularly those from grain. He lays out the claim for how such a diet is counter to our evolutionary needs and then proceeds to make links between gluten insensitivity, neurological inflammation, and neurological disorders.

I actually have a PhD and regularly study aging
Patrick Visniewski
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this book is more dogmatic than it is educational. The author might be right overall. No one in this day and age can know for sure due to the sheer complexity of human physiology and the lack of studies adequate to really provide us the knowledge we need.

The author has a case he wants to make and he does so by providing only the information that supports his case and he leaves out pretty much everything else including any established facts that might contradict his arguments, or
Justin
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't even know why I read this. Listened to it. Whatever. It's 1:12am. I actually finished this like two weeks ago anyway.

Found it on Overdrive and needed something for the commute. I thought nonfiction might make me smarter, more informed, what have you. Instead it scared the hell outta me.

We all knew sugar, carbs, gluten, bread, candy, soda, etc. are all bad for us physically. This book breaks down how carbs, and grains especially, are eating away at our brains, giving us diabetes, and
Susan
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this advance readers copy from Goodreads First Reads. Yay for free books and thank you!

Perhaps I should apologize in advance, this is long and probably a bit of a tirade. Here's the good parts version: If you are concerned about gluten intolerance (not celiacs), your blood sugar levels, neurological issues or just think you are hooked on sugar and worry about bad for you carbs read this book.

So.

They say that when the student is ready the teacher will come and I found it almost
Melanie
tl;dr: quack sensationalist quack data-mining quack

Author claims that the source of almost all neurological illnesses/dementia is *not* due to genetics, but to diet. Author's father is 96 and demented off his gourd, so author obviously wants to assure self he's not doomed to the same fate.

This book is horseshit. He says that paleo-type ancestors never had alzheimers/dementia, though as far as I know, no one has ever found viable brain samples of paleo-era ancestors. He also seems to believe in
Diane
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished, food, health
I admit I have a bias against health books: They are usually poorly written, bloated with patient testimonials, and the information could be better summarized in a good magazine article.

And that's true of Grain Brain, which I picked up after seeing an article about the link between carbs and problems in the brain, including dementia, Alzheimer's disease, anxiety and depression. Dr. Perlumtter recommends cutting down on carbs, especially ones containing gluten, and eating healthy fats to feed
Grace Jensen
Aug 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
As with any diet book, and especially with this one, follow your doctors orders, listen to your body, and use common sense.

I have had gluten issues in the past, and several of the medical issues mentioned run in my family. I try to eat gluten free as much as possible, which really just translates into non-processed foods and whole fruits and vegetables.

That being said, this book is really a hate campaign against gluten. Carbs are not the devil. And the language used in this book is generalizing
Riku Sayuj
Scary stuff, but as is the case for all nutrition science, it is more smoke than fire here too. I prefer to use Pollan's simple rules as far as nutrition is concerned, instead of obsessing over the latest science, latest recommendations, specific diets, super-foods, super-villains etc.

That said, Perlmutter's work is still useful. It will make you think twice about hating on fat-based and cholesterol-containing foods, and finding comfort with more carbs.

"Brain dysfunction starts in your daily
Roya
Feb 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF at p.17.

A Letter From Present Me to Past Me-When-I-Was-Book-Shopping-a-Year-Ago

Dear Past Roya,

Over the past twelve months, I've noticed some new things. I've noticed that people are far more irritating than they were last year. That's fine, you'll get over it. I've noticed that I relate to Anxiety Cat memes a lot more than I'm comfortable with. This isn't okay, but it's not the worst thing ever. You are what you are (unless what you are is an axe-wielding psycho, in which case I strongly
Katelyn Jenkins
The second time around, this book is outstanding.
I read this book in high school, senior year, after dealing with bouts of depression and eating disorder, and really just wanted to know what was happening up there, in my brain.
The idea something as staple to my diet, with the perspective of a US citizen using a "western diet," the words seemed preposterous and wrote an unsightly review here on Goodreads.

I was so very naive.

This book has substantial evidence to prove it's argument, really!
Jenni
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really informative book that definitely blew my mind in terms of the argument - fat and cholesterol are good? Really? But he's got the research to back up the claims, and it's very compelling. As a person who has followed a strict gluten-free diet for over 2 years I found the research and case studies on gluten sensitivity especially interesting, although it did wake me up that I need to rethink my gluten-free lifestyle in terms of also limiting the things that I have always allowed ...more
Miriam
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have been obsessed with this book for months now. I can't stop talking about it. It's all about how you can take control of the health of your brain (and your body) by removing gluten from your diet. I thought it would be hard, but it's actually the best thing I've ever done. I highly, highly recommend this fascinating book. It is both informational and practical.
Elizabeth
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was already one of the converted; I follow the Paleo diet and thrive on it, after years of battle with candidiasis and other ills. The difference it makes in quality of life and the amount of energy I have is incalculable. To an outsider, it looks like a fad.

The basis contention of this book is that most of the medical ills of our age - from rashes and headaches to obesity, diabetes, and cancer - are caused by eating glutinous grains. For generations now we have believed cholesterol and fat to
Nilesh
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Grain Brain makes some important points, but in the style of a partisan propagandist aka politician. There is no balance to the arguments made and that's the reason why the readers have to be as mindful of the conclusions as readers of any books on ideology, religion or any occult sciences.

On the negative side, the author has pre-decided that he has hit on the eternal truth about the right eating and all else are wrong. While he provides proofs behind his theories in plenty (some definitely
David Schaafsma
Jun 07, 2014 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, food
So, we are clearly in a health crisis and a lot of smart people are trying to figure it out from a variety of angles. We have epidemic obesity, diabetes, and Alzheimers, sexual dysfunction, depression, ADHD, etc. So Frankenfoods we know are bad, additives are bad, but don't you wonder if there might be a single theory that points to the main thing that is causing it all, something right in front of us, staring us in the face? Perlmutter thinks he has it, or the heart of it. And his theory flies ...more
David Schwan
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm giving this two stars because this book is quite dishonest in places. There is a great deal of good useful information, and this a significant amount of speculation presented in the guise of factual information.

I agree with the ideas that fat is good and carbs are maybe not so good.

The authors views on gluten are where the author fails to make a scientifically sustainable case. For example the author claims that in the 20th and now 21st centuries we have a plague of mental diseases due to
Huma Rashid
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
This guy is a charlatan who uses pseudo science and a very unnuanced view of case studies to push his bullshit idea that there is one single simple cure for numerous diseases. Oh, and please buy the supplements and enzymes and the $8500 brain detoxification retreat he sells on his site. If Dr. Oz, another snake oil salesman, had to testify before congress I don't see how this jackass has escaped scrutiny despite a decade of bullshit claims.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Are you experiencing any of the following signs:

Being overweight?

Being unable to change how your body looks, no matter how much you exercise?

Being unable to lose weight or keep weight off?

Constantly craving "comfort foods"?

Fatigue after meals?

Feeling consistently anxious or stressed-out?

Feeling hungry all the time or at odd hours of the night?

Having a tendency to snack after meals?

Having high fasting triglycerides, over 100 mg/dL - particularly when equal to or exceeding cholesterol levels?

Jennifer Ochoa
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
It worked for me before I even heard of this book!

I went on a ketogenic diet (low-carb, high-fat) last year to lose weight and next thing I know, my chronic life-long depression and anxiety disappeared, I had more focus, more energy, more positivity in general. I had NO IDEA that a ketogenic diet would do this, but it did. I started to enjoy exercise for a change, which helped even more. My life was changed forever. (Note that I have tried so many "diets" to lose weight before keto and nothing
Adrian Peck
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This book is one that I will not stop talking about for the rest of my life. I'm sure it is in my best interest to re-read this book to make sure my facts are straight before trying to convince family and friends to read this book; lets get one fact straight.....I am absolutely astonished. This book was exactly what I was looking for, and as the I'm sure the brilliant author knows, most people feel that they need this drastic change in their lives. ITS CARBS! It is slowing down everyone...from ...more
Jose Romero
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dr. Perlmutter is a board certified neurologist and in this book he presents a thesis that food affects our brain health. He's a big proponent of the low carb ketogenic diet--high in fat--good fats--moderate protein, and low carb. However, my biggest takeaway are his prescriptions for improving brain health. He recommends increasing aerobic exercise, which has a strong correlation of maintaining brain health, even at a great efficacy than working the brain directly via mental works such reading ...more
Steven Walle
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recommend all read this book. It is amazing what grain does to our thinking process and we are so unawear. The author speaks on how to use healthy grains which are glutan free to supliment our diets.
Read in good health and Be Blesseed.
Diamond
Weinz
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did whole wheat sleep with Mr. Perlmutter's sister and knock her up? Did gluten piss all over this guy's face? Did bread have a one night stand with David and never called back? His vendetta was distracting.

He REALLY doesn't like grains. ... Made me hungry for toast.
Mary Kay
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
First, let me tell you I am NOT a Dr. Oz fan, and the fact that this book was written by someone on his panel sort of left me skeptical about reading it. Seems there's a little too much sensationalism there. Also, a little background on me: I'm diabetic, diagnosed in January 2014, and was put on Paleo lifestyle (notice I didn't call it a "diet"?) to help combat issues with my A1C numbers.

So, there's that. Some people will tell you Paleo is extreme (and to be fair, some Paleo followers are
Bradley Ferguson
Oct 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
My mom, sister, and brother, all have a neurological disease called dystonia. It involves their muscles (calf for sister, arm for brother, fingers and toes for my mom) tightening up involuntarily from time to time. It isn't life threatening but has definitely been a nuisance to all three of them. Each of their symptoms manifested when they turned 30 - which is two years for me. So I am trying to prepare myself for that possibility (although my other older sister is 32 and has no symptoms).

My
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Barely climbs above “Wheat Belly”, but only just. This is another one of those “Grains are so bad for you but you can scarf down as much cheese as you want” type of woowoo. At least I felt there was more research (though still MANY claims where I was mentally asking “SOURCE?!”). However, this is basically most of those fad diets - wanna lose weight? Follow MY diet which is the ONLY diet that works.

I’m reminded of the expression: when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to
Don Gillette
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I finished Grain Brain around 2AM this morning (although just skimming the recipes) and I offer this review not just as a loud-mouthed know-it-all, but as a guy who has read damn near every diet book on the planet searching for a way out of my tendency toward being a sideshow freak fat man who, if he doesn't watch himself quite a bit, has the tendency to look just like Comic-book guy on the Simpson's.
This book is Dr. Atkins's Diet Revolution with the addition of the new "superfat tropical oil",
Linore
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Grain Brain is a good book as far as re-educating people regarding food myths that have taken root in our culture, such as that grains are good for you, or necessary for fiber, or that eggs and cholesterol are evil. I applaud the author for the many studies he cites and for bringing these misconceptions to light.
There is a deep flaw in the book, however, and it is ludicrous: the author bends over backwards to prove his dietary recommendations but includes assertions based on the THEORY of
Sotiris Makrygiannis
This book is rather technical. We survived the cancer epidemic that was caused mainly by our wars, now there is another war, related to the food that we are eating. Is this good looking and tasty bread good? not if its made out of bad flour and we have added so many other substances that they are causing new epidemics, like Parkison and alchismer. Gives a good summary of who those things are affecting our health and our brains.
Mary Blowers
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Grain Brain, by Dr. David Perlmutter, is a breath of fresh air. Great detail is given about how gluten, sugar, and other carbs cause inflammation, wreaking havoc on your hormones, blood sugar, brain, and waistline. Numerous examples are given of patients he treated with this program and they lost weight, or improved their labs dramatically, or overcame diagnoses like ADHD. Sleep habits and exercise are also covered as they have an effect on the brain and how it functions. I was not aware that ...more
wonderful book 1 7 Jan 23, 2018 05:43PM
Has anyone read this book Grain Brain? 9 51 Feb 21, 2015 06:38AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 14 Dec 03, 2014 07:34AM

• Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
  • The Case Against Sugar
  • The Great Cholesterol Myth: Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease-and the Statin-Free Plan That Will
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease
  • Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life
  • 7'den 70'e Taş Devri Diyeti
  • Eat Fat, Get Thin
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • The Breakfast Club for 40-Somethings: A Novel Approach to Unlearning Money and Reinventing Your Life
  • The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless Weight Loss, Vibrant Health, and Boundless Energy
  • Sirkadiyen Beslenme
  • The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
  • Wheat Belly Total Health: The Ultimate Grain-Free Health and Weight-Loss Life Plan
  • The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
  • Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It
Dr. Perlmutter is a Board-Certified Neurologist and four-time New York Times bestselling author. He serves on the Board of Directors and is a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition.

Dr. Perlmutter received his M.D. degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine where he was awarded the Leonard G. Rowntree Research Award. He serves as a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of
“The simple act of moving your body will do more for your brain than any riddle, math equation, mystery book, or even thinking itself.” 12 likes
“Researchers have known for some time now that the cornerstone of all degenerative conditions, including brain disorders, is inflammation. But what they didn’t have documented until now are the instigators of that inflammation—the first missteps that prompt this deadly reaction. And what they are finding is that gluten, and a high-carbohydrate diet for that matter, are among the most prominent stimulators of inflammatory pathways that reach the brain.” 8 likes