Start by marking “Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)” as Want to Read:
Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)

Gone

(Michael Bennett #6)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  17,587 ratings  ·  1,103 reviews
A crime lord has declared war on America. Only Detective Michael Bennett knows why.

Manuel Perrine doesn't fear anyone or anything. A charismatic and ruthless leader, Perrine slaughters rivals as effortlessly as he wears his trademark white linen suit. Detective Michael Bennett once managed to put Perrine behind bars, the only official in the US ever to accomplish that. But

Published September 30th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.
Mc Roy It is just about a Mexican drug lord escaped from prison and desire to revenge, so I don't think that you are necessary to read the previous books to…moreIt is just about a Mexican drug lord escaped from prison and desire to revenge, so I don't think that you are necessary to read the previous books to understand the story.(less)
Tammy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  17,587 ratings  ·  1,103 reviews

Start your review of Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)
Gareth Otton
I am not sure if it is just me but I am getting really fed up of all James Patterson's long running series. His stand alone novels show that he (and his co authors) can write good tales when they put their minds to it but the long running ones are just getting boring.

This book does round off what happened with the last book but yet again we finish it and return to the status quo. All the kids will end up in exactly the same position they are usually in with no changes (none of them have
Suzanne
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

Gone picks up where I, Michael Bennett left off, with the family on the run so let’s get them into hiding on a farm to escape crime lord, Perrine. Things take a drastic and brutal turn as the FBI and LAPD ask Michael Bennett to assist in bringing Perrine down: as in law enforcement officers are killed, corrupt people get killed, and a reformed criminal gets killed at a Dodgers game (brutally so). Oh, and Perrine declares war on the US to get California back for Mexico (not bs’ing you, I’m
Jon Kurtz
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
What's not to like? This series stars a street-wise detective, Michael Bennett, now on the run from a Mexican drug kingpin. While earlier novels focused more on Bennett, the recipe has been altered with a touch more comedic flavor from the ten adopted children, as well as the spice of a brewing romance with the feisty Irish nanny. Oh, and let us not forget the moral compass. Every novel filled with death and mayhem needs the family priest, Seamus. While I enjoy the series, the characters, and ...more
Tziggy
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 and a half stars. Typical JP. A great, quick read with the short chapters with questions and suspense between most of them.
Traci Haley
This book was originally going to get a 2-star rating from me, until the last big action scene of the story managed to make it enjoyable enough for 3 stars.

The thing is, I love reading about Michael Bennett's kids and his nanny. I think they're really interesting characters.

I really, really don't like the cliched, one dimensional character that Michael Bennett has become. And I don't like how Patterson and Ledwidge thought it was appropriate to sneak in some political ranting into the book.
Brenda
Detective Michael Bennett had to go into the witness protection program with his family after the vicious mass murderer and war lord he had captured, Manuel Perrine, escaped and vowed to kill Michael, his complete family and all his associates. The vengeance was to be huge; the killer was capable of the extreme violence he threatened – he’d proven that in the past.

So eight months down the track, settled into the countryside in a safe-house in California with the cows, horses and massive doses of
Mahoghani 23
This is one tough detective. Michael Bennett is truly dedicated to his job even though it appears the odds are against him including a bounty on the head of him and his family. Manuel Perrine is determine to kill him because he murdered his wife in the previous book. Now the whole Bennett clan is in witness protection and everything is about to come apart.

It’s amazing how much drugs, murders, bribes and mayhem was included in this story. It appeared that their was a leak every step they took .
Sharon Courtney
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
After the way the last Michael Bennett book finished, i couldn't wait for this to be released... Now I've read it I'm so disappointed.. The beginning was slow and boring, too much about how life on the farm was, and milking cows.
The ending was rushed, very rushed... I couldn't believe after 2 books with Perrine as the bad guy, what should have been a major climatic ending was actually a big flop. If James Patterson hadn't had his name on this book, i would have presumed the end storyline was
Ethan
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
If you've ever read a novel by bestselling author James Patterson, you pretty much know what to expect from him. Usually assisted by a co-author, Patterson delivers numerous novels throughout the year, all of which follow the same basic formula. Despite this cookie-cutter approach, I've always been a fan of this prolific author. While his books rarely offer more than surface level thrills, their fast pacing and straightforward prose are often the perfect cure for a reading slump.

After the events
Dee Amos
Aug 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
This would have to be my least favourite of the series . I found the first half quite boring and repetitive and the second half was completely anticlimactic . I felt like there were chapters that had me excited ,then I was instantly let down in the next chapter . For how slow the start was , the ending felt very rushed .

I was so excited when I found out the new book was being released and I can't describe my feelings when I actually had it in my hands. Now however, I feel like incredibly let
Sandy
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this series. Can’t get enough of Michael Bennett
Carol
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-pick
FIRST READ: i really enjoyed this book, and to my surprise, Mike Bennett's children were LDS. They were put in the witness protection plan (10 children, a nanny, and those that helped). That was quite a surprise. The Books that Patterson and Ledwidge team up for are really some of the better ones in my opinion. This is my second Michael Bennett book. It was well written and keeps me the reader holding my breath what is going to happen next. Overall fairly cleanly written, decent language. Don't ...more
Aaron
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I am really hoping that we are not seeing Mike Bennett going down the same sad pathway that Alex Cross has gone in more recent books because the result is an arrogant hero who is a municipal detective that seems to be the only person who can take on international crime lords with little regard for the effect it has on his loved ones or the possibility that those trained to actually confront global challenges better than he can.

Mike, his 10 kids, Father Seamus, and their nanny Mary Catherine are
Gary
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
The 6th book in the Michael Bennett series by James Patterson and his army of writers.
There was a time when I couldn't wait for the next James Patterson novel but these day's I have to make an effort.
I continue to read the books hoping that they will return to the exciting fast paced paged turners that I fell in love with but honestly it has been sometime since I have really enjoyed one of his novels.
Reading other reviews of his books it appears that many other of his prolific readers are
Cara
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Least favorite of the Michael Bennett series - no real cohesion, which seems to be my complaint about most James Patterson novels in the last 3 years. No real action or major plot twists that used to keep me turning pages.
Sanara♥
Boring! It started slow and the ending was rushed.

Although Manuel Perrine is the bad guy, I think he was the most interesting character in this story!
I found Michael's family and the nanny, Mary Catherine really irritating. Their characters didn't seem to be doing much in the story other than doing the same irritating stuff again and again, just to fill the chapters in between.

Most of the story felt flat. There were some chapters that made me feel as though the story might take an interesting
Diane
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok,easy to read, entertaining but not nearly as good as Alex Rider series.
Mason
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Protagonist Michael Bennett and his fun-loving clan return in GONE. While a follow-up to I, MICHAEL BENNETT, GONE is a standalone story.

Narrators Danny Mastrogiorgio and Henry Leyva do an excellent job bringing all the characters to life. Their mannerisms and cadence will hold you spellbound as the narration flows back and forth between them.

Manuel Perrine is a ruthless drug dealer and charismatic leader who uses any means necessary to get what he wants. NYPD Detective Michael Bennett is the
Debbie
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Gone? More like ' Go away and stay there'

Michael Bennett the Irish cop with 10 kids, one dead wife, an Irish priest for a grandfather. And an Irish nanny in the form of Mary Catherine.

The family are in hiding due to Perrine. A vicious drug lord with a taste for cutting off heads.
Yup Bennett tried to send him to jail in the last book but Perrine wasn't keen to go.
He vowed revenged and the whole family shipped off to California. A state just by the Mexican boarder....Alaska might have been a
Wayland Smith
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
This series has been decent, but I think they slipped in this book a bit. Detective Michael Bennett, NYPD, has been drawn into increasingly complicated cases as the series goes along.

This one opens with the Bennett family in Witness Protection, as a crazed drug lord is after them in revenge for his wife's death. The Bennett's are a huge clan of adopted children, along with Michael's grandfather, and an Irish nanny.

The drug lord, Perrine, places a huge bounty on the family. They cross the
Marleen
Apr 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-patterson
I do not enjoy reading about a delusional man, with airs of grandeur, who kills and tortures entire families for pleasure. This type of suggested scenes of horrendous violence make up the book from beginning to end, except when there are raids by law enforcement agencies trying to catch Manuel Perrine, the Mexican-French drug king. And saying this was the second book with this evil guy as protagonist! In “I, Michael Bennett”, NYPD cop Mike Bennett was able to catch him, but then Perrine escaped ...more
Laura Ruetz
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have always enjoyed the Michael Bennett novels but this one just felt like it was part of the series in name only. The best parts of the novel involve the bad guy, or rather, his team leader. The rest of the book just falls short of expectations. The characters, knowing they are being hunted by a vicious crime lord make stupid choices and from prior novels we know that the children are not stupid children. Sadly, the children themselves are just a minor part of the novel and some of them ...more
Donnie McDow
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
i never thought i'd give a patterson a 3 star review, this one bugged me because after all this family has been through and they're hiding out from killers and the kids are going into town, talking to people they don't even know while killers are looking for them, it's not believable and his grandfather, seamus seems to be almost clueless and just doing whatever.
Drew Schott
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gone by James Patterson
Detective Michael Bennett: Michael Bennett is a detective for the NYPD. He was born in the Bronx in a Christian household. He attended Regis High School and then went to Manhattan College. After college, he joined the police force. He started at the Bronx 49th Precinct fighting street crime. He then transferred to the NYPD’s hostage negotiation team where he negotiated with kidnappers to release numerous people held hostage at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in the book Step on a
Tyler King
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book Gone, by James Patterson, is about a detective who has to go into hiding with his family. He goes into hiding because he arrested the Mexican drug lord Manuel Perrine, but he escaped and put a huge reward on finding and turning in detective Michael Bennett. Perrine was involved in mass murders and was getting into the U.S so the FBI called Michael Bennett to put him behind bars once and for all!

In my opinion, this is one of my favorite books that ends in a huge thriller. There were
Daniel
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a large (10) catholic family at the center of the series, there’s a obvious reason I like these books. The story is also pretty good and some of the twists at the end are entertaining.

However, this is really getting political and preachy. The Obama bashing gets tiring. The preachy narrative for a police state gets to be annoying. The USA USA ranting is a bit much. Thus the 3 stars.
Jo
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a quick read and found this among the James Patterson books I have not yet read. It is a quick read and moves along rapidly. The wrap-up of the story was done quickly especially after the long lead-in. But it was enjoyable as James Patterson books are.
Erika Hayes
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was by far the best of the books so far. I loved that a couple of times my stomach hurt because I thought something was happening.... Oh, it was really good!
Lisa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word. Wow. What a great plot!!
Danielle Choffrey
Dec 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Why do I always subject myself to Patterson's work? There have been so many disappointing books, but I keep giving him a second chance only to be upset.

When I sat down to read this I was looking forward to an easy, some what entertaining book. By the time I reached the last page I felt as though I just finished reading a story to a child.

There are many issues with this book. Is it just me or have his books been getting cheesier? Some humor is okay. I actually like humor, but this book is
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books

Michael Bennett (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett, #2)
  • Worst Case (Michael Bennett, #3)
  • Tick Tock (Michael Bennett, #4)
  • I, Michael Bennett (Michael Bennett, #5)
  • Burn (Michael Bennett, #7)
  • Alert (Michael Bennett, #8)
  • Bullseye (Michael Bennett, #9)
  • Chase (Michael Bennett, #9.5)
  • Haunted (Michael Bennett, #10)
“ways of scanning for radio signals.” She followed him as he ran into the gun room and spun” 0 likes
“Licata’s free hand clapped over his gaping mouth” 0 likes