Start by marking “Mr. Tiger Goes Wild” as Want to Read:
Mr. Tiger Goes Wild

Mr. Tiger Goes Wild

Are you bored with being so proper?
Do you want to have more fun?
Mr Tiger knows exactly how you feel. So he decides to go wild.
But does he go too far?
There is a time and place for everything...even going wild.
Published September 3rd 2013 by Little, Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Tiger Goes Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Tiger Goes Wild

Start your review of Mr. Tiger Goes Wild
Betsy
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here’s a fun exercise to liven up a gloomy day. Find yourself a copy of the picture book Mr. Tiger Goes Wild. Now turn to the publication page. It’s the green one opposite the title page at the beginning of the book. Now scroll down until you find the Library of Congress subject headings for this title. The very first one reads, “Self-actualization (Psychology)”. I am no cataloger, nor do I particularly mind it when they attribute terms of this sort to picture books, but anyone can see that this ...more
Manybooks
Maybe I am being just a trifle, just a bit too literal this morning, but with Peter Brown's Mr. Tiger Goes Wild, I do indeed tend to have a few rather annoying thematic and textual issues with especially the last part of the story (namely that if Mr. Tiger really and truly does in fact go wild so to speak, if he for certain has reverted back to being how tigers actually exist and act in nature, he would of course and naturally not be friends and companions with the other animals depicted and pre ...more
Meredith
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Mr. Tiger wears a suit and top hat and lives in a pseudo-Victorian city until he finally can no longer stand the oppression and goes wild. It is a cute and simple story.

The illustrator makes a marvelous use of color. In the city, everything is sepia-toned except for Mr. Tiger's orange. Even his dialogue boxes are orange, and everything in the wilderness is brightly colored.

Unfortunately, I read this with my toddler on a day that she was supposed to be good and pose nicely for Christmas pictures,
Nariman
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture-books
Beautiful pictures , and wonderful premise.
Really funny , I could feel the tiger boredom with properness, it's really boring , lol !!
Molly
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating, 3.5

description

Nice short story along the lines of "be who you are". Mr. Tiger feels suffocated by the stiff society, and decides to shake things up. Probably fun for kids. Not bad, not great.... we just didn't click. I don't think is the book ... it must be me.
Teresa
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with this book right now. Not only does it espouse the wonderful messages of following one's bliss and trusting one's instincts (lessons I apparently had to re-learn recently) but the fabulous art totally transports me back to the '60s of my youth. Good life lessons + nostalgia...what more could one ask for?
Donalyn
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lush, intricate illustrations. You've got to love a tiger in a stovepipe hat.
Mariana
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Checked it out from the library and already read to my daughters twice!
Amy Yingling
A wonderful story about being yourself and the illustrations are wonderful they remind me of the wonderful ones in Baber and Where the Wild Things Are. A definite must-read for everyone's kiddos.
Abigail
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peter Brown Fans
Mr. Tiger begins to find the restrictions of polite society rather tiresome in this entertaining picture-book from Peter Brown, eventually going a little bit too wild to stay in the big city with all of his friends. Although his sojourn in the wild is liberating, eventually he finds the solitude too much to bear, returning to the city. Once there he sees signs of change: elements of the wild have begun to encroach on urban life...

As a companion to Brown's The Curious Garden , which looks at t
Amy Rae
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
My two-star rating is for the fact that the illustrations were excellently painted, and the text was engaging.

My not-five-star rating is because I found myself...I think the best word for it is "discomfited." I was discomfited by the imagery Brown chose to use as the subject of the illustration. Mr. Tiger's original milieu is reminiscent of the buttoned-up society of Victorian England; when he lets loose and "goes wild," it's in a vivid, empty green jungle. (Where? Who knows--but one is reminded
Karin
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mr. Tiger lives in town where everything is very proper. But, sometimes he feels like letting loose. One day he decides to get down on all fours to walk around. That felt so good that he started to ROAR. Then, that felt so good that he takes off all of his clothes.

The other animals in town don't approve of his behavior AT ALL. They tell him if he is going to act wild then to take it to the wilderness. Mr. Tiger thinks that's a great idea. At first he is thrilled to run around free, but soon he g
Kaethe Douglas
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In a Richard Scarry sort of world all the different animals dress like people and live in houses and walk bipedally and work at jobs. And then Mr. Tiger decides to go wild, just a tiny bit. Brown's palette reminds me of picture books from the seventies, in a very good way, lots of orange and avocado. There was no way I couldn't love it.

Library copy
Anina
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I normally don't review picture books but this one is your life coach and
spiritual manifesto.

Don't forget to look at the cover under the jacket, this book has got the fly details!
The Library Lady
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a lovely book--Caldecott worthy in my opinion in terms of its art work.
Of course, what do I know, I've only been in this line of work for about 30 years, and I'm not a hipster librarian who goes to "Kid Lit Drink Nights"
The limited color palette--which embodies the "proper" feel at the opening of the book makes Tiger's bright orange face (and later his full tiger body) pop on the page. It's skilled technique. But much as I love the art, I am not sure though that the layout, with several
Heidi-Marie
I love it. The illustrations especially! What a great use of color. And that's the cutest tiger, even when he's wild. I think this is a great choice for preschool storytime.

1/8/14: Used in Topsy-Turvy theme. They loved it! We all enjoyed the laugh at the idea of him swimming in the fountain AND taking off his clothes (gasp!) even though they knew that was normal for a tiger. Hilarious and amazing how easily they picked up on the animals acting like humans and noticing ANYTHING that was different
June
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: identity requests
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices 2014
"Mr. Tiger was bored with with always being so proper." First he walks on all fours. He acts wilder and wilder until he goes too far. When he doesn't wear clothes his friends ask him to leave. He goes completely wild, but realizes he misses his friends. He returns to find things are changing in the city. Nice artwork, with gradual introduction of color.

I'm going to have to round this up. As Anina says look under the plastic book cover.
Michael Fitzgerald
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The pictures are nice, and the story is fine for a while. I'm concerned by the last quarter or so. It seems that the point is for the animals to be OK with going back to nature - they aren't all hung up with manners and clothes, but if Mr. Tiger is "free to be himself" then he'll be killing all those other animals instead of cavorting with them. It just rings false - this is simply another (more politically correct) fiction instead of the truth.
babyhippoface
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This is one of those books that everyone loves that I think is just "okay". So then I worry that I didn't read it closely enough, didn't appreciate it enough, or something. The illustrations are fun, but the story just didn't do anything for me.
David Schaafsma
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I like the artwork very much, very attractive, though I think kids like brighter work with more bold poster colors… I dunno. This art appeals to me more as an adult. But the story was almost completely unsurprising to me, just okay.
Chance Lee
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Peter Brown (The Wild Robot) has a problem with humans. In this picture book, animals wear drab suits and walk around on two legs. They live in a bland city like Victorian England if the Victorians were anthropomorphic rhinos. The animals are all beige and gray -- hippos, foxes, rabbits, monkeys, pigeons. (The pigeons don't wear clothes. They're animals who are still acting and treated as animals.) It's dullsville.

Then there's Mr. Tiger. A splash of bright orange shines out of his bland suit. Hi
Mandie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mr. Tiger is discontent with his proper life. When he decides to take a walk on the wild side, the society he's used to doesn't agree. Mr. Tiger decides to take his wild side into the wilderness, but he soon finds that he's very lonely. Can Mr. Tiger be himself and still live in his house and be with his friends?

This is a cute story. The pictures are fabulous, and it's short enough that it could be used in storytime or at bedtime even with young listeners. A great story about learning to be your
Hannah
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Does a great job of incorporating suspense in such a short story. I was genuinely curious to see what would happen, and I loved that Mr. Tiger's struggle for self-expression wasn't easily solved. His first attempt to feel free fails; he learns instead to balance independence with community, and I thought that was a very thoughtful ending.

The artwork is fantastic and tells a story that goes beyond the text. Really lovely message, language, and pictures—everything a quality children's book needs.
Geri chesner
Deceptively simple story and illustration. However, reading it over and over, really brings to the forefront the extraordinary "package" this book is. So many metaphors are represented in this book in all components, narrative, design and illustrations. I think everyone who reads it will find something that speaks to them. The author/illustrator is "aware" of the many metaphors, but states, "he wasn't thinking of any of that" when working on the narrative. This shows how deeply ingrained book cr ...more
Joshua
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm rather disturbed to discover that a children's book essentially rewrote my novel Ballyhoo but just in reverse. And with far less pages. And less quotes by Shakespeare. My career as a writer may be in jeopardy.

Still, this is a delightful read about being yourself. So be it, and never look back.

Brianna Crall
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is just something about Peter Brown books that I love. The illustrations and the messages within the pages. This was just a fun wonderful romp of a picture book.
KC
Be yourself! Embrace yourself! Love who you are.
Caitlin
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-allison
Delightful! Fun illustrations and excellent text. Loads of fun.
Cyril
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our two-year-old loves all things tiger-related, so this was a big hit. And I love the stylish illustrations and mischievous tone.
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It seems a bit 'wait, what?' at first, as the ending seems out of nowhere. But look again... Mr. Tiger wasn't the only one feeling overly domesticated & constrained. And the story isn't just about the need for everyone to have some wild times. It's not even just about being true to one's inner nature.

It's also about being a catalyst for change. One person can make a difference. If one person is vocal about wanting something, more than one person wants it and the others are too timid to ask for i

• Creepy Carrots!
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • Stuck
  • The Skunk
  • That Is Not a Good Idea!
  • Gaston
  • Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
  • Zombie in Love
  • Journey
  • Tough Guys Have Feelings Too

Peter Brown is an American writer and illustrator who is best known for children's picture books.

"Peter has always loved telling stories. Growing up in New Jersey, he told stories by drawing whimsical characters and scenes from his imagination. Then, as a teenager, he fell

News & Interviews