Start by marking “The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #25)” as Want to Read:
The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #25)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Gods of Guilt

(Mickey Haller #5)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  36,813 ratings  ·  3,232 reviews

Defense attorney Mickey Haller returns with a haunting case in the gripping new thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly.

Mickey Haller gets the text, "Call me ASAP - 187," and the California penal code for murder immediately gets his attention. Murder cases have the highest stakes and the biggest paydays, and they always mean Haller has to be at
Published December 2nd 2013 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Gods of Guilt, please sign up.
A.B. Gayle I assumed it was his way of drowning his feelings of guilt over the deaths of the two people due to a man he helped avoid a dangerous driving charge.…moreI assumed it was his way of drowning his feelings of guilt over the deaths of the two people due to a man he helped avoid a dangerous driving charge. That one ‘victory’ cost him the chance of being DA and his daughter’s (and ex-wife’s) respect apart from the loss of the innocent people’s lives.(less)
Greg Chesser While there are references to previous books, everything is explained so that it can stand alone. You can read them in any order.

·  36,813 ratings  ·  3,232 reviews

Joe
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am once again stating my bias against people telling what the book was about. Don't do that! It is never part of a review. Always assume that the reader knows what the book is about and wants to know what you think of the book. Ok?

Having said that, I have spent far too much time this past month or so reading sequels. I have said in earlier reviews that sequels seldom if ever live up to the original, yet that never seems to be a concern. Today's authors are well paid by publishing companies for
Karin Slaughter
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, as usual. And a lot of fun, too. I go back and forth between which series is my favorite, but after reading this, I think Mickey Haller wins.

The great thing about the author (other than his terrific books) is that he is a HUGE library supporter. Whenever I've asked Mike to do something for my library charity, he's always stepped up. Also, I think he is quite handsome, which is always a plus in an author.
Frances
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the fifth novel in the Lincoln Lawyer series which began relatively slow, however, once all the players were in place, it soon picked up for the remaining half of the book. A riveting courtroom drama unfolds as defense attorney Mickey Haller presents his case to the jury to save an innocent man accused of murder. Michael Connelly builds the suspense to the final pages as Haller ruthlessly takes apart key witnesses bit by bit with skill and aplomb.
Barbara
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

Attorney Mickey Haller has problems. He regularly represents (and gets off) criminal lowlifes and a released drunken driver killed a classmate of Mickey's 16-year-old daughter, who no longer wants anything to do with him. Lacking good cases Mickey is also low on cash and drinking too much. Things start to look up when Andre La Cosse, a 'cyberpimp' who runs websites for prostitutes, is accused of murdering a client, Giselle Dallinger.

Turns out Giselle is really Gloria Dayton, a woman Mickey repr
Jane Stewart
Definitely entertaining. I had some smiles.

Boy can this author write. I can’t believe after doing so many books, he still comes up with such a good story, and well done, and entertaining. He does NOT use artificial devices to create mystery and suspense. He does NOT use flashbacks, jumping around in time, stopping scenes in the middle to create temporary cliffhangers. There’s no stupidity or characters doing things out of character to create conflict. It’s just a good story, in chronological ord
Jonetta
Mickey Haller’s still having a tough time professionally and personally following his crushing campaign loss. So when he got a call to represent a man accused of murder, he knew it was the cash cow he needed. But the more he investigated the case, the more he was convinced beyond a doubt that his client was innocent. And, the former client that recommended him just happens to be the murder victim.

Poor Mickey can’t get a break...the proverbial step forward, two back seems to be his life’s purpos
Rex Fuller
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This might be the best of the Haller series and maybe of the rest of Connelly's books too. Mickey is representing someone accused of killing a former client, her pimp. The investigation has great action and discloses corruption in the law enforcement community that led to the charge. The resulting trial is extremely well drawn, ending in a realistic surprise. A few technical legal flaws don't subtract from the crackerjack whole.
James Thane
This is another excellent Mickey Haller courtroom drama from Michael Connelly. As the book opens, Mickey is called to the L.A. jail to represent a pimp who is accused of killing one of the women he "represents" in a dispute over money. The pimp had booked a date for the woman at an expensive hotel. But the woman calls the pimp and tells him that there's no one in the room and that she has come home empty-handed.

The pimp admits going to her apartment and arguing with her, insisting that she was s
Michael
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this as a solid entry in the legal thriller series set in Los Angeles featuring Mickey Haller, the man tagged as the “Lincoln Lawyer” for keeping an office in his car. His major case this time around involves a website manager for call girl operations (virtual pimp) who stands accused of killing one of his women over a money dispute. It turns out the call girl is someone whom he cared for and thought he had set on the path to a normal life years ago. Signs suggest she had been working ...more
Jim
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm tired of starting these reviews with the same old thing, but here goes: Well narrated, good characterization, must be read in order, excellent attention to detail, & a fine story over all. Sorry, but the rest is just details that you should really read for yourself. Mickey is on his game with plenty of twists & turns. The ending is a blast. Need I say more?

If this is the first one of Connelly's books you're thinking of reading - Put The Book Down! Get The Black Echo, the first Harry
Richard
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, legal-thriller
9/10

Whilst probably not the best Michael Connelly book I've read, and saying that probably not even the best in this series, any book which I am able to read in a day holds a special ranking up there. I was travelling back from New England to Ye Olde England and was able to read this on my journey. Through the jet lag and turbulence I powered on and completed the book just as I arrived home.

This book has the same format as the previous books in the series in that there is a case which is shroud
Lynn
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally shredded my nerves.

Mickey Haller represents a cyber-pimp accused of murder. He and his team believe the guy is innocent but the case against him seems convincing. This book had an irresistible combination of investigation, bad-guy confrontation and strategy. I should probably read more lawyer books because I loved the courtroom scenes.

Connelly writes a great thriller :D
Lena
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, murder-mystery
Well, alls well that ends well I suppose. But I thought Mickey Holler was going to bring everyone down with his antics and tight plays.

Actually, well is a relative term. More was lost than was gained.

This was my first Michael Connelly and I can see why he is a beloved mystery author. I never knew what would happen next!

I’d like to thank Thomas and Michael from The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group for recommending this book. You guys made me feel welcome!
Diane Wallace
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic series! thriller, none stop action,this book is full of demented,dangerous cast of well developed characters,nice storyline and writing (paperback!)
Tim
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The "gods of guilt," according to Michael Connelly's fictional lawyer Mickey Haller, are juries--along with "plenty of other people out there judging us every day of our lives and for every move we make." Classic Connelly apercu, witty and true and a bit sobering as well. That Connelly can lard this consistently excellent work with insight, with observation, with truth is testament to his artistry, his ability to take thrillers to more exalted places. And this novel is a helluva good thriller (a ...more
Kathi Defranc
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is another great book in my Michael Connelly library,another look into the trials and tribulations of the Lincoln Lawyer,and it does not disappoint! It puts you right next to the lawyer through his exploits,keeps you thinking and making decisions with Mickey Haller,so you feel that you have been right there through the whole case!
Rob
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Number 5 in the Mickey Haller series.
Another cracking courtroom thriller from Michael Connelly.
This one is a bit different inasmuch as the courtroom drama doesn't really start in earnest until the later end of the book.
An ex client, a one time call girl, arrives back in Mickey's life after many absent years, this has happened before, but not like this. This time she arrives dead.
The accused killer now wants Mickey to defend him. Why? Because the dead call girl recommended Mickey to him.
The more
Gary
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The 5th book in the Mickey Haller series by Michael Connelly.
A slow starter but builds up to very good climax. I confess I am a massive Michael Connelly fan and have loved most of his books and this one is another high quality thriller.
Michael Connelly once again developes his characters so well and shows expert knowledge in the legal system.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
3.5 Stars

It is very unusual that I rate a novel by Michael Connelly below 4 Stars. That I didn't like The Gods of Guilt is not what I'm saying. I liked it a lot; I just didn't love it compared to the other Michael Connelly books. I guess I just don't enjoy Mickey Haller as much as I love Harry Bosch.

Mickey Haller is just off losing his bid to become LA District Attorney amid a scandal that brought his poll numbers down and has changed his relationship with his ex-wife, Maggie, and his daughter,
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Yes...a 5. Now while I can't say this is at the top of my 5 star list nor does it make my favorites list I had to rate a bit above other 4 star books. I have grown to like the Mickey Haller books and this one is (I think) the best so far.

Mickey can't really seem to win in life even if he does win in the courtroom. Shut out by his daughter because of events from the last book. Frozen out by his ex-wife because her career's in the cra**er due to supporting him for DA just before he crashed and bur
Manuel Antão
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Everytime I'm hard-pressed to choose my proverbial books to take to a desert island, it always comes to mind Simon Cowell (I forgot in what circumstances), when told he was being given the Bible and Shakespeare, saying "You mean to READ?"

Yes, to READ!

Setting aside the usual escape and survival books (eg, " How to Escape From a Desert Island", "How To Build Boats Using Only Sand, Coconuts and Seaweed", "Coconuts, shrimp and seaweed: 10
Eric
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of legal thrillers, Mickey Haller
This book, despite being the fifth in its series, maintains a fresh feel because it explores the constant emotional grind of Haller's decision to defend the scum of the earth on a daily basis -- from seeing how he was unable to rescue a former client from her own poor life choices, to dealing with a daughter that does not want to speak to him due to his own career choices -- instead of just walking us through another trial full of twists and turns with the charismatic protagonist narrating.

Don'
Susan
Dec 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm reviewing this and marking it read but that's a lie. It was soooo poorly written, I really didn't finish. Usually, when I get a book I don't like and, so, don't finish, I just mark it as a reject and move on with my life but... Michael Connelly???!!! I've read and loved every word he's written. But, this one? I don't even think the effort is up to 'phoning it in level'. The half I read was like the poor writing was duking it out with the laziest plot work ever. Pffft. MAJOR disappointment.
Kaje Harper
This latest in the Mickey Haller series finds Mickey at a low ebb personally. The plans he made at the end of the last book have foundered on the realities of being a defense lawyer. A very public disaster, where a man he got off from a drunk driving charge on a technicality drove drunk again and killed two people, has destroyed Mickey's run for DA. Worse, the victims were people his daughter knew. The bad side of a career defending the guilty and not just the innocent has bitten Mickey, and he' ...more
Thomas
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Legal thriller fans
Shelves: us-legal, connelly
This is another excellent legal thriller from Michael Connelly. I rate it 4.5 stars out of 5(rounded down to 4). Mickey Haller is contacted by Andre La Cosse, arrested for murder of a prostitute named Giselle Dallinger. Mickey soon realizes that this murdered prostitute is Gloria Dayton, a former client. Andre then tells him that it was Gloria who recommended him, calling him"Mickey Mantle." Mickey soon realizes that this is connected to a case involving Hector Moya, a cartel drug dealer who Mic ...more
Fred
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, html-href
YouTube advertisement for the book

Isn’t Michael Connelly like John Grisham?

Mickey Haller (L.A. Attorney) runs a small staff in legal & investigation cases. He nicknames everything, juries are named “The Gods of Guilt”. The “team” is Cisco (investigator), Lorna (case manager & x-wife), Jennifer (legal associate) & Earl (his private driver).

Giselle Dallinger(36) was found dead by firemen in her burning apartment. Mickey recognizes her as a former client, a prostitute named Gloria Dayt
Lewis Weinstein
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another superb crime and legal thriller by a master of the genre. All of the elements, including the interpersonal, make this an engrossing read. Connelly does not disappoint.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Holy Moly! What a book! My favorite Mickey Haller book yet! I'll admit it started off a bit slow for me, but soon turned into one h*ll of a could-not-put-it-down ride! An absolutely fantastic Must Read in the series and Harry Bosch Universe (Harry makes a cameo appearance). My love affair with the series (& Harry) continues.
Matt
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The long-awaited return of the Lincoln Lawyer brings Connelly fans a new gift. With a new, off-the-cuff defense to prepare, Mickey Haller is up to his neck in issues. After receiving a call from a man who's charged with murder, Haller agrees to meet him, only to realise the victim is a long-time acquaintance and former client. After agreeing to defend him, Haller begins poking around to determine how valid the story and alibi appear to be. A 'virtual pimp' is surely not a profession the jury wil ...more
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 5 8 Dec 20, 2017 04:57PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 5 4 Dec 20, 2017 04:56PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 8 4 Dec 20, 2017 10:42AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 5 3 Dec 20, 2017 10:38AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 3 2 Dec 19, 2017 07:32PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 3 2 Dec 19, 2017 07:31PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 3 2 Dec 19, 2017 07:18PM
  • The Double
  • The Ophelia Cut (Dismas Hardy, #14)
  • Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1)
  • Storm Front  (Virgil Flowers, #7)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Light of the World (Dave Robicheaux, #20)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • King and Maxwell (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #6)
  • Compound Fractures (Alan Gregory, #20)
  • I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy #2)
  • Tell No Lies
  • Hit Me (Keller, #5)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • The Nomination
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache

Mickey Haller (6 books)
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)
  • The Brass Verdict (Mickey Haller, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #18)
  • The Reversal (Mickey Haller, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #21)
  • The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #22)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
“Everybody has a jury, the voices they carry inside. Earl Briggs sits on my jury, Gloria Dayton, too. They are there with Katie and Sandy, my mother, my father, and soon Legal Siegel as well. Those I have loved and those I have hurt. Those who bless me and those who haunt me. My gods of guilt. Every day I carry on and I carry them close. Every day I step into the well before them and I argue my case.” 7 likes
“Everybody has a jury, the voices they carry inside.” 3 likes