Start by marking “Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)” as Want to Read:
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)

Magic Shifts

(Kate Daniels #8)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  25,366 Ratings  ·  2,028 Reviews
In the latest Kate Daniels novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews, magic is coming and going in waves in post-Shift Atlanta—and each crest leaves danger in its wake…

After breaking from life with the Pack, mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate—former Beast Lord Curran Lennart—are adjusting to a very different pace. While they’re thrilled to escape all
Published August 4th 2015 by Ace

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

My love for Ilona Andrews is not something I attempt to keep hidden. I can in fact be rather obnoxious about it. #sorrynotsorry

Their books are typically so far ahead of their peers, so much better in all the major areas--character development, world-building, interesting and original plot lines--AND they're hilarious to boot.

I feel like this warrants a certain level of fangirling.

That being said, I was disappointed by one of their books for the first time when Kate #7 came out last yea
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

Presenting Episode 8, or How Kate Daniels Learned That Managing An Exotic Zoo In Post-Shift Atlanta Is Not As Easy As It Seems.

» And the moral of this particular rererereread is: are you pregnant? Hormonal? Tired? Famished? Why not have some freshly slaughtered, magical bull meat, tenderized by His Fussiness Himself? Some relatively unbalanced people Desandra says it's pretty good
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 I Can't Believe It's Less Than 5 Stars

But not the right kind of shock. I'm shocked I can't bring myself to give this book a 5 star rating but it just felt like a step back for me, it was on the same level as the first two books, which were good of course but they hadn't reached the series' potential yet. The last two books, relationship issues and slight incosistencies in characters aside, were pretty epic in the revelations and bad guys department. They kept my attention 100% of the way. This
Lila

Update 28/04/2015

Asdfghjkl.
I loved this book to pieces.
It's my precious.

description

It has that old, Kate-merc vibe from first four books and I didn't even know how much I would enjoy Kate NOT being Beast Lady. It leaves her place to be focused on more important things.
LOTS of Curran being awesome and growly; lots of Kate and Curran being awesome together. Their unwavering relationship is one of the strongest points of this book.
Andrews' trademark humor - these characters are all so sassy, I giggled more t
Robin (Bridge Four)
Even better on the re-read.

4.75 Let’s play who can be a better killer Stars

Reading with my fellow Kate Daniels is da Bomb fan club at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

If you have read my profile then you know that my 2 favorite authors are Brandon Sanderson (BS) and Ilona Andrews (IA). I fangirl over them any chance I get so I might not be impartial in my reviews of their books, and I probably add way too many status updates while reading them….I can’t help it.

love you

I didn’t fall into the camp of those who
Carol.
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy, kick-ass plots, world-buildling

The Kate Daniels series was originally plotted to end at book seven, culminating with the classic father confrontation ("I am your father"). While Magic Breaks had a satisfying ending, there was material that felt like it was catering to new readers (in response to a hardcover edition) as well as providing Easter eggs for fans, such as 'guest appearances' by former characters, making it a less than stellar read. Apprehensive of the next, I delayed ordering.

Silly rabbit.

Magic Shifts hits its firs
Brigid
Here Kitty Kitty

I shall lure you into a trap my dear.

HEHEHEHE.
Anne
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
description

I'm not sure I'm even capable of giving a Kate Daniels book less than 5 stars anymore, so take my opinion of this book with a grain of salt. Some of my friends were disappointed with this one because it was maybe a transition sort of book. You know, what with Kate & Curran having left the Pack in the last book. So, yeah, this book is sorta setting up how they're going to live, what they're going to do, etc.. Didn't matter. I could Kate Daniels' grocery list, and probably fangirl over it.
To m
Jen Davis
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nothing compares to the charm, wit, action, and emotion of the Kate Daniels series. Nothing. Simply put, if you aren't reading these books, you are missing the very best that Urban Fantasy has to offer. I think I say this every time I sit down to review a new installment, but it bears repeating.

The last story was epic and left us in a very different place. Kate and Curran have left the Pack. She has claimed Atlanta and her father has gone from a distant idea of Something Scary to a flesh and blo
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Grumpy Book Grrrl ⚔

Review also found at: https://theparanormalpaladin.wordpres...

Ok, unpopular opinion time. I know it's blasphemy and all, but this book was just okay to me. I found it a struggle to get through.

A couple months have passed since the last book. Kate and Curran are going through the final process of full separation from the Pack. They now live in a suburban neighborhood with Julie and we see a lot of domesticity in the beginning. I don't know why, but this is a trope in urban fantasy that really an
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.66 stars (better than 3.5 but not quite a 4). Final review, first published on Fantasy Literature:

In Magic Shifts, the eighth book in Ilona Andrews’ KATE DANIELS urban fantasy series, Kate and Curran struggle with both old, ongoing problems ― in the form of Pack politics and Kate’s father Roland ― and new ones. *obligatory spoiler alert here for earlier books in the series*

Kate and her werelion mate Curran, who has resigned as Beast Lord of Atlanta’s huge pack of shapeshifters, are now trying
Sophia Triad
Roland has arrived in Atlanta

So, all the major characters are repositioning in this book.
The king is here and he has just adjusted all his subjects to his liking:

1. He made his daughter claim the city. Now there are invisible boarders around Atlanta and Kate feels responsible for every living soul inside these borders. Not that she did not feel responsible before…but now the pressure is really on.

...But pretending that the claiming hadn’t happened had done me no favors.

2. He blackmailed his fut
Evgeny
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
North American Gray Lion

The image above shows now extinct North American gray lion. According to Wikipedia, the guy was about 25% bigger than the modern African King of the Jungle. This was the largest species of cats ever.

People familiar with the series already know how the lion above relates to it. One of the main characters - Curran - happens to be a shapeshifter whose beast form is that guy. I hope I made a convincing case explaining why another main character - Kate Daniels - called Curran a one-man army at one p
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

After the pivotal 7th installment, I spent about 0.236 seconds worrying about this book and wondering whether the series would successfully find a new direction. It didn’t take me long to remember who I was dealing with – Ilona and Gordon have never failed me before, and they keep proving themselves over and over again. No downturns for Kate, and certainly none for this fabulous husband-and-wife writing team.

Magic Shifts opens up a new chapter for Kate and Curran. It’s a different one, but no l
mich
Can I still call myself a hard-core Kate Daniels fan if I give this book 3.5 stars? (Please say yes.)

Do you have any idea how much I love this series? Do you?! Wanna know how many times I've re-read these books over the last 7 years? A-FUCKING-LOT. (Yes, that's a real number.) I know entire sections of the first five books by heart. Much like the way my husband can say the lines of the entire Billy Madison movie along with the characters (which is irritating as hell btw, I don't recommend you ev
Manju
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2010-19, 2-star, 2018
They say a picture is worth thousand words, and that's how I felt throguhout this book...

Armina
Buddy read with Kate Cult aka Eilonwy , Evgeny , Asya (re-read), Monty Cupcake and Sarah (re-read) and Jaime (re-read)

Well, this book has one hell of a baddie! Very, very creative, but I expect nothing less from the Andrews. Kudos!

On the whole, the book does feel part-filler but it's a very entertaining and enjoyable part-filler. As always, action-packed, witty and heartbreaking at moments(oh, this particular moment)!

One of the things I enjoyed the most is Kate and Curran being together t
Jilly
She's baa-ack!! Yes! The baddest badass chick ever is back to kicking crazy magical ass and being her usual snarky self. Plus, we get the bonus of Kate and Curran no longer being in the Pack, because Pack politics were getting a little monotonous. AND, as an added bonus, Roland, Kate's psychopathic father-dearest makes a couple of epic and hilarious entrances. Why not have dinner at Applebee's with an ancient powerful god?

shwarma photo: Shwarma avengers-shawarma.gif
or maybe some shwarma?

So, in this book, Kate and Curran are living in th
Angela
May 2018 re-read. This book still gives me all the feels. I was still crying my eyes out at one point. I still can't quite predict where this is all going to end. And I'm more invested than ever.

October 2015 re-read: This holds up as well on a re-read as I expected. The mystery reminds me of earlier Kate Daniels' books. The humor is there, of course. The characters we know and love. And the steady progress on the overall storyline. I'm really interested in seeing how this all comes together.

Ilon
Ferdy
Spoilers

Didn't like this one much, I was bored for the most part. It's definitely my least favourite installment so far, I thought it couldn't get much worse than book 6 but at least that one kept me somewhat engaged, this one I had to force myself to read in the hope I'd eventually come across something engrossing. That said, it wasn't all bad - I really liked some of the side characters (Dali, Julie, Roland, Ghastek) and there were a couple of interesting interactions between a few of the char
Haïfa
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf, favorites
Another one down, one more to go before finally reading Magic Triumphs! :P

********************************

4.5 blazing stars

rounded up coz I'm getting biased.

This is just another amazing addition to Kate Daniels's world.

Kate Daniels has become one of those series of which I cannot get enough and when I visit again, it's like going into a familiar and cozy place. Meeting with the characters again is just like meeting up with old friends.

As usual, I got caught in a whirlwind of intertwined mysteri
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

MAGIC SHIFTS is a transition book, there had to be one eventually, right? But, there’s one very important difference between this installment, and the vast majority of other Urban Fantasy bridge novels, it’s NOT FILLER. The story swerves from one plot thread to the next while Kate & Curran adjust to their new lifestyle with their usual sarcastic flair, and on trend, win another battle for team Atlanta. So, more of the same yet also scads of never-before-seen just abo
Cyndi
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
As I'm listening to these books I keep thinking that surely these should be getting repetitive by now. I mean, book 8? C'mon!
But then I tell myself to first, don't call me Shirley and second, it's the Ilona Andrews team. They must have every reference book ever written on mythologies in every creed. I sometimes picture bookshelves with a rolling ladder and Belle sliding past.
Anyway, this book finds Kate and company battling an Ifrit. She is still involved in a battle of wills with her father
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I loved this book! It amazes me how this series is able to continue to get better and better with each new installment. I don't pre-order a lot of books but this is a book that I ordered several months ago and have been eagerly awaiting the day it would magically appear on my kindle. I was more than a little excited to jump back into the Kate Daniels world and I am happy to report that this book lived up to my expectations.

This book is a cha
Douglas Meeks
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Where to start, I have written a review on most if not all of the books in this series and I find myself running out of superlatives. The plots are multilayered, interesting and unpredictable. The characters (all of them not just the main couple) are fully developed, no cardboard cutouts and you actually grow to care about all of them. The thing though that makes this such a huge success is that Kate and Curran are deeply in love at all times, add in the best “graveyard” humor ever and you have
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

To say I was excited about this book would have been an understatement. Like many other UF fans, I'm giddy over the Kate Daniels world with its group of violent but enjoyable characters, weird magic environment, and bigger than bad monsters. I've read every book in the series, with the third (Magic Strikes) remaining my firm favorite until the release last year (Magic Breaks) blew that apart and cemented the seventh in my heart as the absolute best of Kate Daniels. So of course I went into the e
Duchess Nicole
If you haven't started this series by now, there's no fixing stupid. And there's only so much praising and exalting that I can do, so I'm just going to hit the highlights here.

WARNING: SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOKS!!!!!

Kate and Curran are no longer Beast Lord and Consort. Jim and Dali took over that role, and Kate and Curran have a charming little house in a regular ole neighborhood. Sort of. A fave scene, when Dali comes to visit Kate and Curran:

"Consort," I said. "You honor us."
"Fuck you," Dali
1st read - August 2015
2nd read - August 2015 (yes twice in a month LOL)
3rd read - August 2016
4th read - May 2018
5th Read - July 2018

Original Review:

I think I lost the ability to write a sensible review of anything written by Ilona and Gordon Andrews a long time ago and that goes double when it comes to their Kate Daniels series. I just absolutely adore this world and these characters and will never get enough of them. I have been eagerly waiting for Magic Shifts for a year now, I reread the enti
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
RATING A

Originally posted at SmexyBooks-http://smexybooks.com/2015/08/joint-r...

Joint reviewed by Mandi and Tori

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN’T READ BOOK SEVEN!!

Book seven left readers shocked when Kate and Curran abdicated their thrones as pack Alphas and Kate was forced to magically claim Atlanta in order to save them all from her father. Now they are trying to get on with their lives in as normal a way as possible for these two. Even with their inability to enter the Keep for 30 days due to the pack
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
  • Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter, #8)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)
  • One Rainy Night
    $4.49 $0.99
“You see, the mailman saw your husband during one of his walks."
"He's my fiancé," I told her. "We are living in sin."
Heather blinked, momentarily knocked off her stride, but recovered. "Oh, that's nice."
"It's very nice. I highly recommend it.”
76 likes
“Consort,” I said. “You honor us.”
“Fuck you,” Dali said. “Fuck your shit. I quit.”
69 likes