Start by marking “The 100 (The 100, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 100 (The 100, #1)

The 100 (The 100 #1)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  38,120 Ratings  ·  5,349 Reviews
No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide m
Hardcover, First Edition, 323 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The 100, please sign up.
DIΛΠΛ Honestly, the show is much better than the book. The book was good and all, but literally had no concept of time. Basically, the show just gives more…moreHonestly, the show is much better than the book. The book was good and all, but literally had no concept of time. Basically, the show just gives more depth to the novel. The pilot is basically is all of the first book and if you read the second book, it goes off into completely different directions. It will not spoil anything for you as the book and the show are distinctly different. But, I will assure that neither is a disappointment. It is just whether which one you read or watched first is more prioritized in the mind. So, if you watched the show first, you will feel that the book is disappointing in comparison. And if you read the book first, the show is disappointing in comparison. But, both actually are very good!(less)
Simra Seeing the show first kind of ruins the books. They are very different from each other, not just in overall story but also the characters and their…moreSeeing the show first kind of ruins the books. They are very different from each other, not just in overall story but also the characters and their development. You'll find the show turns out to be more descriptive about the surrounding -what the earth has become- than the book itself (partly because we can see it and don't have to visualize based on text) where as the book tells you a good detailed structure of the Ark.

It's a brilliant series. You'd fall in love with the same character from the show and book in two different ways. The character development as well as relationships between the characters are different in both.

The show take you on an adventure. You know you are sitting behind a screen and watching. You'll laugh and cry with the characters while while reading the book, you become the character. You know their fears, love, ideas, etc.

All in all, each take you on a different story; a different experience.My suggestion would be to not compare the book and the show. They have their own life. I wouldn't even call them siblings. More like far cousins. Try to understand the book as a baseline for the show and not the other way around. Compare the idea of characters (how they came to be as they are currently) and not the characters themselves or even their actions.

Further, don't worry about spoilers. As I said, the show and the book are like far cousins.(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
A terrifying plan began to take shape, and his chest tightened in fear as he realized what he would have to do. But Wells knew there was no other way. To save the girl he loved, he’d have to endanger the entire human race.

FUCK YOU, WELLS. There is another way. You stop being a selfish motherfucker whose brain is located in your fucking penis.

This book is not a dystopian novel of a spaceship society. It's not a post-apocalyptic tale of survival. It's not about the nitty gritty of life within a
Julie
I'm gonna feel like a dick for saying this, but: watch the show instead.

I'm really utterly fascinated with the differences they made to the material, and I honestly feel that the television adaptation made it a much stronger work & story -- I could write a lengthy essay on every single change, but won't, to spare you. I can really only recommend the book for die-hard fans of the show (which is what I have become, ahahahahahahaha sob) and who may want more from their faves, specifically POV c
Faye, la Patata
My recaps of the show!
Episode 1 - The Embodiment of Stupidity
Episode 2 - To Survive, Be Idiots
Episode 3 - Everyone is Valuable, Except The Guy I Hate
Episode 4 - Double Standard Much?

“This shit is going to be a TV show?” was the first thing I thought of when I turned the last page of this book.

I was initially interested in 100 by Kass Morgan when I found out it was going to be adapted into a TV show on CW channel (I think. I may have got this wrong, so please correct me if I got it mixed up!).
Fenia
OMG!!! This book. Bellarke FEELS!! If you watch the show and you're a Bellarke shipper you'll love it! ♥

There were characters missing from the show,like Finn or Jasper and Raven. BUT we had others to keep us company. Glass and Luke are so cute and their story is amazing! Octavia is less fierce in the books. And we had lovely POVs of lots of different characters,so that was interesting. Now the important stuff. BELLARKE. BELLAMY AND CLARKE. CLARKE AND BELLAMY. OTP ♥ I adore them so much!!

Beauti
Riley
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, books-for-review
I didn't hate this. I thought I would but I didn't.
I think if I hadn't already watched the show, and loved these characters I would have been extremely annoyed and frustrated with them. But since I went into the book with love of the characters and the world, things that typically would annoy me didn't.

But yeah I honestly only liked this because I love the show so much and because I FINALLY got a Bellarke kiss
Wendy Darling
DNF at 182 pages. It's not bad, it's just not terribly engaging, and there are too many POVs. Best to stop at this line:

There was no drug strong enough to repair a broken heart.
Let me pre-ample this review by saying I adore the TV show "The 100". A lot of this, I will admit, has to do with this:

BUT a greater part of that is because I think it does a superb job of showcasing humanity's strengths and weaknesses.

To say that Morgan's novel does the same would be a lie! Where the show is about survival, the book is - primarily - about human stupidity and the ridiculous shit we will do for "love".

I have often said I am not a romantic person, this is not entirely true. The
Giselle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own
With a fantastic premise and an overall interesting plot, I can see why The 100 has already been signed on by CW as a TV series. If only it was tightened up with better character development and a stronger dedication to world building instead of establishing the romantic angle, it could have been a real page turner. Nevertheless, it's interesting enough to warrant a read. I believe its success will lay in the TV series, however.

100 teenagers are to be sent to earth after humans evacuated it 300
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Feb 13, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish
The top of the review space says : What did you think?

What did I think? I think I'm out. That's what I think. DNF @ 40%.

There were too many PoV's. As well, there were too many flashbacks for too many PoV's. And let's not forget that I get iffy when there's too much flirting/pining/romance when it starts to choke out a great sci-fi concept.

Sadly, I'm not even sure if the show is going to work for me. When all the kids ran off the ship in a very non-cautious and jubilant way, I think my mouth dro
Renata
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
4,5
Empecé a leer el libro por que la serie de Los 100 me encantó y dije bueno vamos a ver que tal, y ahora mismo estoy enamorada. Puede ser que me haya encantado tanto por que mi otp de la serie (Bellarke) tienen acción y más momentos juntos que en la serie y eso me ganó por que es lo que más espero. Bueno voy a dejar de comparar el libro con la serie, pero me ha encantado.

Es una lectura rápida y muy entretenida y todos los puntos de vista te hacen ver como viven y por qué cada uno hizo lo que
Courtney Wells
I've been watching the show since it first aired and am ashamed to admit I didn't know there was a book it was based on.

Having read this, I understand why changes were made for the show's purposes but I feel the book really did more with the characters. It was written in a style I felt was engaging and engrossing overall; however, some of the characters relied heavily on tropes and had flimsy, foolish motivations at times. For that reason the plot stretched disbelief in some places while wearin
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I picked The 100 up because I’m a bookaholic and I can’t control myself as one of NetGalley’s “read now” selections. All I knew going in was that this is currently a television series on the CW Network. Now, I’ve watched enough of the CW to know that (excluding the delicious train wreck called “Makeover Day” on America’s Next Top Model) the viewership (which, at times, includes myself) tends to land in one of the following camps:

50% D
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Zero stars if I could. This was terrible. I can't believe this book spawned the first two seasons of the 100. How did the tv shows' creators make anything half-decent out of this shitshow?

A quick list of the reasons the book doesn't live up to the tv show
• Clarke is not a badass slytherin with complex morality. She's a shallow, undeveloped prop for a love triangle.
• Bellamy and Clarke have crappy romantic development. I don't even ship them hard in the show but their relationship is fucking b
Krista
May 13, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013, little-brown
Saw a clip for the CW show, and all I can say is that it looks awesome! Now, I'm super excited for this book. Plus...this is generally what I think about YA books being made into television shows:

Juliana Zapata
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Este libro me atrapó muchísimo, creo que es por el parecido con Lost (mi serie favorita), ya que esta contado de la misma forma y el punto de partida de la historia también es similar.

La historia tuvo picada mi curiosidad hasta el final, incluso los capítulos finales fueron los más intrigantes de todos.
Twila
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Err... Just watch the show
Shelves: slow-in-places
I initially gave The 100 three stars, but after starting the TV show, I’ve realized how much better this book could have been. And it could have been 1000x better.

After a nuclear winter almost destroyed earth, what was left of the population had to turn to space to keep the human race alive. They are what they call the “colony” and have been living in space for what has been three hundred years. But their home has begun break and fall apart, and so 100 criminals are sent on a desperate mission
Kimi
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it

Edit after watching 2 seasons of the TV Show in less than a week:

You guys ditch this book and go watch the TV Show like right now! It's 10 times better I kid you not.

-----------------------

So I basically read this book only because I heard so many great things about the tv show. I didn’t hate it, it was definitely a good story but I didn’t love it either, mainly because of the writing style.

The ones I hated:

Wells:

The stupidest idiot I’ve ever read about. He took some very questionable decisio
Marnie
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The tv show is one of my absolute favourites, so going into this book, I didn't actually have very high expectations. I'd heard that the book was very different to the show, and since I love the show, I wasn't too sure on what to expect. However, this book was exactly what I needed to feed my cravings whilst the tv show is on break until later in the year!

The story is different, and I liked hearing about the characters that have no appearance on the show. I mean, anything that involves Bellamy B
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's been a full 24 hours since I read this, but I CANNOT stop thinking about it! I am obsessed. I am sitting here impatiently waiting for the last two books in the series to get in my mailbox so I can marathon them both. Probably in one sitting. It's that good.
This is one of those books that completely surprised me, and a combination of beautiful (and seemingly effortless) writing, plus really cool characters, and an AWESOME/totally original storyline has sucked me in and consumed me.
READ. THI
Liz Janet
Jun 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this with all of my heart, I truly did. The show is one of my favourites of all time, but the book just left me disappointed.(except that one character that dies in the show in the first few episodes but is not dead in the books, although he is very hate-able in the book but likable in the show)It is:(view spoiler)

Also Finn is not in the book, I have no idea why there are covers with his face on, he is literally an invention for the show.

Now let us talk ab
Eric Boot
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read: July 2015 - 3.5 stars
Second read: May 2016 - 4 stars
Still: an amazing start to an amazing trilogy! I don't know why these books aren't more popular, the plot is fantastic, the characters feel so real, it's so good!
Caitlyn
I had such high hopes.

I knew I wanted to read this the minute I got past like episode two of the TV show, so much so that my friend gave it to me as a birthday gift (probably because I wouldn't shut up about how much I needed it.) Much to my sadness, everything about this book was lacking. Please allow me to elaborate.

The characters: The book rotates through 4 perspectives: Clarke, Bellamy, Wells, and Glass. Who is Glass you might ask? Someone that was not in the show. More on her later. Okay,
Kate ♡
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
I quite enjoyed this book.

Loved seeing the different perspectives and flashbacks, those added a little something extra to the novel.

It was also fun picking out the similarities and differences to the TV Show, which I love so much.

I didn't feel a great connection to the characters in this book, but there was definitely something there, so hopefully it grows when I read the next 2 books!

Eren Nadir Akşamoğlu
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Diziye neden sinir olduğumu anladım. Harika bir kitabı katletmişler lan. Olmayan karakterler üretmek mi dersin, hali hazırda harika iki karakteri silmek mi dersin oohooo. Yorumu yakında gelecek. Üstelik epey uzun olacak çünkü sinirliyim -,-
Astrid Langeveld
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kass Morgan is geboren op 21 juli 1984 in New York. Ze is een Amerikaanse schrijfster en redacteur. Ze is voornamelijk bekend door de serie de 100. Er is een serie van de boeken gemaakt, deze ging op 19 maart 2014 in première op The CW.
Het boek gaat over dat de aarde onleefbaar is geworden. In het ruimteschip waar de mensheid leeft, raken de voorraden langzaam op. Het lijkt een onmenselijke oplossing: 100 jeugdgevangenen worden teruggestuurd naar de aarde om te zien of ze kunnen overleven. Krij
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
May 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
The 100 has been billed as Battlestar Galactica for teens, and, for once, I totally agree with the marketing. Of course, it's very much season 3 Battlestar where things started going a bit off the rails, with some people on planet in weird costumes and Gaius Baltar becoming some sort of religious figure on the ships. I mean, not exactly, but that's the level of quality the book has. It's not the first season of awesome, and it's not quite the ending where I didn't know what the fuck was happenin ...more
Neil (or bleed)
1.5

When I first saw it in the bookstore and read the blurb on the back cover, I was intrigued. And I note to myself that I will love this one. But maybe you can't just force yourself to love something you don't find loving. What a shame.

I like the concept of The 100 yet almost the whole book was all about love-- kissing, saying "I love you" and whatnot. What the hell. Really characters, this is supposed-to-be a story of survival and discovery, not love. But love conquers all so that's why. Not t
Mirayda
Wells katıksız mal. *sorrynotsorry*
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
The door slid open, and Clarke knew it was time to die.

Too many POV's for my taste... (Clarke and Bellamy's POV was perfectly fine for me, but Wells and Glass was okay in the start, but then I started losing interest in them, specially Wells..) , but I love ALL the Bellarke scenes! And yes, you have guessed it, I'm a HUGE Bellarke fan! Though, I had expected a love-hate relationship between Clarke and Bellamy like in the TV-show, but I guess you kinda have to separate the book and the show,
Kaya Dimitrova
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Ревю => http://justonebooklover.blogspot.com/...
~ ~ ~
Преди няколко дни завърших книгата "Стоте", но все още съм в еуфория от прочитането ѝ! Обожавам сериала, който е по книгите! Не очаквах двете да са толкова различни, но и двете - толкова поглъщащи. В епицентъра на сюжета стоят четирима тийнейджъри, извършили тежки престъпления и получили втори шанс на Земята, която не е обитавана от векове, заради радиация. В сюжета, освен антиутопичния елемент, са вплетени и екшън, няколко любовни истории
YA Buddy Readers'...: The 100 series by Kass Morgan - Restarting July 9th 2018 114 158 Jul 10, 2018 01:46PM
Addicted to YA: The 100 TV Show 48 434 Apr 14, 2018 07:53PM
Recommendations 1 2 Nov 08, 2017 09:26PM
The differance between the book and the show 10 85 Oct 24, 2017 05:06AM
The books with looks: BOTM March 2015 - The 100 21 22 Nov 28, 2016 10:04PM
Contemporary YA: The 100 by Kass Morgan Books into TV 6 18 Aug 08, 2016 06:49AM
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Countdown
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • Icons (Icons, #1)
  • Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles, #2)
  • The Planet Thieves (The Planet Thieves, #1)
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Wasteland (Wasteland, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
Kass Morgan studied literature at Brown and Oxford, and now resides in Brooklyn, where she lives in constant fear of her Ikea bookcase collapsing and burying her under a mound of science fiction and Victorian novels.
More about Kass Morgan

The 100 (4 books)
  • Day 21 (The 100, #2)
  • Homecoming (The 100, #3)
  • Rebellion (The 100, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Octavia was the only person in the world who truly knew him. There was no one else he really cared about ever seeing again. But then he glanced over Clarke, who was leaning over to breathe in the scent of a bright pink flower, the sun catching the gold strands in her hair, and suddenly he wasn't so sure.” 195 likes
“That was the thing about secrets-you had to carry them with you forever, no matter what the cost.” 162 likes