Start by marking “The Fullness of Time” as Want to Read:
The Fullness of Time

The Fullness of Time

Hiram Granville, a modern Leonardo, secured more than a thousand patents during his lifetime, often just ahead of others who had already been working the same ideas. His son John, an economics genius, never lost a cent in the stock market—or any other financial deal—and was investigated for insider trading on more than one occasion. Now Cat, a documentarian; her researcher ...more
Audiobook
Published September 5th 2012 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published September 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fullness of Time, please sign up.
Petula Darling I don't understand this question. It's almost like you didn't have a question at all, but you thought your take on the book was more important than…moreI don't understand this question. It's almost like you didn't have a question at all, but you thought your take on the book was more important than that of other reviewers so you put it in the question section to make sure everyone would see it.(less)

Start your review of The Fullness of Time
Margaret Hendrickson
Mercy investigates the strange Granville family. What she learns makes her question the nature of time. The premiss is interesting, but underdeveloped. The whole book read like an outline. Action spilled forth without clear direction or impetus. The characters were nicely outlined, but lacked any flesh or cohesiveness. I hope someone actually writes this book someday, because I would read it.
Jim
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2fiction, 1audio, scifi
An interesting novella with time travel (of a sort) as the center piece. It was fairly short, well narrated/written, & interesting. There were only about a dozen characters, so we got to know most fairly well without getting boring. It's a bit of a thriller, too.

I don't think she explored the ramifications of the time travel nearly as well as she could have. We're shown it could be mind bending, but I didn't get sucked in the way I thought I should have. Of course, I'm comparing
Lata
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had been looking for something short to listen to while waiting for some holds to come through. The story was ok, though I found myself not really caring about most of the characters, and didn't feel like the resolution really worked; it felt too easy and unearned.
Cherie
A strange little story about a family, whose members are able to access their future self and bring back information. Everyone seems to have a different time jump and duration and some of them are driven crazy through the process. Their time jumps appear as a form of narcolepsy. A documentary film maker and her crew are hired to do a documentary story about two of the main family members. What they find out and what happens is more than they thought they would ever be involved in.

I l
Trike
Back in the 1980s I read pretty much everything by Wilhelm I could get my hands on. Her SF and mysteries were staples. This one of the last stories she wrote, probably around age 82 or 83, and it’s far from her usual quality.

The “mental time travel” aspect feels sketchily developed, and I can’t help but wonder if it’s really a rumination on getting old, perhaps even about developing Alzheimer’s, particularly as the jaunts cause madness. It also feels like the world of 2012 she’s desc
Lyn
Jun 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
VJ
This was billed as a mystery. I would say it is more of a mild sci-fi thriller. It was kind of boring, which was okay because I used it to fall asleep three times.

The story idea was okay, but the execution was bland and quite frankly, uninteresting.
Micaela
Jun 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2014
I can't finish this book because the reader's voice is SO annoying. I can't get past it. I want to, but I can't. Put this in the can't finish pile.
elissa
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Short, but fell apart at the end a little IMO.
Shorty
What a strange little novel!
The audiobook is narrated by Marguerite Gavin, who sounded somewhat like the actress Wendie Malick sometimes.....you know, the rude character from the tv show, Just Shoot Me? Yeah, it was odd, but not in a bad way.
While you can read a fuller synopsis in other reviews, I will say that the audiobook was quite short, and was easy to dip into at short intervals, here and there when one gets the time. Also, the novel had a wonderful premise, but didn't get as in dep
Judy
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise, but poor execution. I've enjoyed several of Wilhelm's books, but for some reason, she wasn't able to develop either the plot or characters. It is a short book, and I got the impression that it was hurriedly completed. I will continue reading her Barbara Holloway series, which is a good one.
Jessalyn King
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting look at time travel, madness, and family ties. I really enjoyed listening to this.
Gae Broadwater
After listening I felt like I had watched a Lifetime movie--Engaging enough to want to know what happened but nothing earth-shattering.
A.M.
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, borrowed
Cat makes documentaries of whatever catches her interest, and right now she’s super interested in how the grandfather of the Granville clan seemed to be able to predict inventions and patent them (without research) while another family member predicts stock market changes years in advance and with zero losses.
It just doesn’t seem right.
So she gets her childhood friend Mercy to help her with the research, and hires Cracker Jack to hold a camera and do whatever electronic work they mig
Eric
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Put this one solidly in the meh pile. Not much in the way of thematic or conceptual material, not much in the way of character and most of the plot happens off screen, which generally works better when an author invests in atmosphere.

Cat and Mercy could be an interesting pair, but they don't have enough time together for either friendly conflict or bonding. In fact they are both basically immediately subsumed by a man's goals and kept separate. Even the premise of time travel, or at
Cheri
This was an enjoyable enough novella, but to be honest - mere days after I finished it I couldn't remember what it was about. So, while there is an attempt at something deep and meaningful, I ended up less compelled than I would expect a book that's in the running for the Nebula.

Not sure why I think that.

There is some heart here, but it seems too rushed. And, the line between "bad guy" and "good guy" was a bit to clear for me. I go for the more complicated, less diabolical antagonist, I guess.
Judi
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
Hiram Granville, a modern Leonardo, secured more than a thousand patents during his lifetime, often just ahead of others who had already been working the same ideas. His son John, an economics genius, never lost a cent in the stock market—or any other financial deal—and was investigated for insider trading on more than one occasion. The family definitely has something going for them that others don't have, however, with all the benefits the family received there is an inordinate amount of suicid ...more
Garth Slater
An awesome premise for the ability to look in to the future, what happened to the plot? I mean, now that this story is nicely outlined, I’d really like to see some real thought out results. The author would begin building suspense and then poof, it was gone. Like the car ride for 1/3 of the Book. She didn’t know what to do with all that and just ended it. And the conclusion, really? A crazy mother attempted assassination with a needle? Um, what? It was like the author had roamed and rambled for ...more
Erin O'Grady
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was good. It was obvious from the description what the scifi part of it was going to be, and that part wasn't really explored. It was more about how the family handled it and how the journalists handled finding everything out. I saw one review describe this as an "outline" and not fully written. I highly disagree. Yes, it's a novella instead of a novel, but a good one. The narrator of the audio version was also good. I could usually tell which character was speaking even if he or she wasn't ...more
Christina
I don't even feel like I read enough to really review this. I finished it... but what did I finish? I'm not even sure what this book was about. It has no spark - the story just begins, some stuff kind of happens, and then it ends. There is no real lead in to why the main character is interesting is investigating this family, no character development, and no fulfilling conclusion. I give it an extra star simply because I was intrigued by the whole narcolepsy phenomenon and what it could have mean ...more
Delores Thomas
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This read very quickly but it had it’s confusing issues. How could Hiram Grandville invent so many things just before others did? How could his son be able to buy and sell on the stock market with knowledge that others didn’t have and never lose a dime. Could the rumor that these people see into the future be true? Could they just be crazy or what? One young man escapes the shelter and admits to narcolepsy in which he feels he is in some other time when he falls asleep. When is time? What is now ...more
Stacielynn
wow - this book was a huge disappointment. i like wilhelm's barbara halloway series and figured this stand alone title would be decent. Wrong!

i listened to this very short book on the way to new england and was shocked when it ended after only a few hours. the plot was thin, the resolution was lame and the characters were a snore. there was much more story possible but i swear this was just quickly typed to meet a deadline.
Mel Harris
This was...an unusual book about a team of writers doing a documentary that leads them to a family who has generational narcolepsy which causes them to have a particular...skill. Hard to describe story without spoiling. This would be a better story if fleshed out. Too short and characters not expanded enough. The same problem I had with the film of a young high school friend of mine. Good idea...keep growing.
Luigi
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I agree with other reviewers, this wasn't a great read, but I enjoy Kate Wilhelm. Some people might have been expecting something seriously SciFi and this wasn't it. It was something more subtle, almost hailing to the gap after the SciFi of the 70's with a bit of literariness, which I didn't think was a word. I'm never disappointed with Kate, but I do feel a bit like this was an idea she never found time to flesh out.
Elisha
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
What even is this book? I thought maybe a time travel sci fi thriller when I borrowed it? It was a character driven story that had bad characters. And the audiobook sounded like it was narrated by Nina from Just Shoot Me, not a good match. And it surprised me by ending out of nowhere, but I’m glad I didn’t have to keep plugging away at it.
E
While I am a longtime fan of Wilhelm and I doubt she could write a truly bad book, this short one is not up to snuff when compared her Barbara Holloway series. An intriguing concept about time, but the science fiction plot, the mystery plot, and characters all remain undeveloped and the “climax” is anticlimactic.
Gay
Apr 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
I was disappointed in this book. It's not a book, but a short story with an underdeveloped plot. Shallow. I haven't read Kate Wilhelm before but her books are offered in the audiobook section of the library and I wanted to find some new authors. She won't be one of them.
Juliette
Reading this kinda felt like I was cruising in a convertible porsche in beautiful weather with the top down then crashing into a tree. The ending was so abrupt to me I was kinda jarred. Of course, given the topic, maybe that was on purpose. Ooooh, now there's a thought.
Heather-Lin
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars, rounded up

It was ok. I liked the premise of a family of geniuses, the mystery of their legacy, especially the idea of consciousness vs our perception of time... But it was somehow unsatisfying. I don't really recommend it.
Heather
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
As I had no expectations, I couldn't be disappointed. It was way too this happened and then this happened and this happened the end. There was almost no buildup at all. I wouldn't waste my time if I were you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• First Evidence
  • Road Rage
  • Farside (The Grand Tour, #20)
  • Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
  • Steel: And Other Stories
  • The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)
  • Nurse On Call: The True Story of a 1950s District Nurse
  • Plunder Squad (Parker, #15)
  • Survival
  • Plunder (Faye Longchamp, #7)
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance
  • Final Disposition
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
  • Aristotle and an Aardvark Go to Washington
  • Cappuccinos, Cupcakes, and a Corpse  (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #1)
  • Middle-Earth: Journeys in Myth and Legend
Kate Wilhelm’s first short story, “The Pint-Sized Genie” was published in Fantastic Stories in 1956. Her first novel, MORE BITTER THAN DEATH, a mystery, was published in 1963. Over the span of her career, her writing has crossed over the genres of science fiction, speculative fiction, fantasy and magical realism, psychological suspense, mimetic, comic, and family sagas, a multimedia stage producti ...more