Start by marking “Descendant (Starling, #2)” as Want to Read:
Descendant (Starling, #2)

Descendant

(Starling #2)

The last thing Mason Starling remembers is the train crossing a bridge. An explosion . . . a blinding light . . . then darkness. Now she is alone, stranded in Asgard—the realm of Norse legend—and the only way for her to get home is to find the Spear of Odin, a powerful relic left behind by vanished gods.

The Fennrys Wolf knows all about Asgard. He was once trapped there.
Published August 27th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Descendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descendant

Start your review of Descendant (Starling, #2)
A generous 3.5 stars
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first book in this series, but other than some confusing moments, I actually liked this one a lot more.

Mason wasn’t the brightest spark in this book, and she did allow herself to be led at times, but given the situation I could kind-of forgive this a bit. Ending up in Hell, bumping into your dead mother, not knowing if your boyfriend is dead, and having little idea of how to get home can’t have been easy!

The
BiblioJen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Descendant" was a great follow-up to Starling. The story in this book picks up right where the first one ended, and the pacing is excellent throughout. The audiobook is narrated by the author, and she does a fantastic job with it. The first book set up the story, and this second book seemed to be all about repositioning the players. The ending caught me completely by surprise, and the stage is certainly set for an dynamic final installment.

"Descendant" is told from multiple points of
Kathy
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Another great books by Lesley Livingston. This book didn't miss a beat, it picked up right where Starling ended. Love the characters, the story line and all the mythological creatures woven in. Kept my interest and I breezed through it then immediately started the next book in the series. My only complaint is I wish there was a little less language. Very entertaining!

Rating: 4 Stars

Content: Language throughout, innuendo

Source: Audible.com Download
Zachary Flye
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review:

Protagonist: Mason Starling, though she has been through many a supernatural and mythological fight, begins this novel in Hel, and believes it to be a dream. Now, I love Mason as a character, but I have to say that after everything she saw in the first novel of this series, for her to not fully understand that she is in the Nordic underworld was a bit stupid on her part. Obviously, she does eventually realize where she truly is and with the help of the mother she never met she tries to
Shelley
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Genre* YA Mythology
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

Descendant picks up immediately after the events of Starling which left Mason Starling stranded in the Underworld, and Fennrys Wolf trying desperately to find her before she brings about the beginning of Ragnarok by returning Odin Spear. I will give this story props. I loved the pacing and suspense. I loved that it continues to cross Greek, with Egyptian, and Norse mythology. I continue to appreciate that the author understands her setting (NYC) and
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)

My review can also be found on Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.ca/2013/1...

4.5 Stars

And so...once again...another favourite author has decided to torture their fans with another cliffhanger. I suppose I’m getting used to them by now...but I suffered no less.

Descendant is the second book in the Starling trilogy, and picks up right where Starling left off and chugs along at a good pace right on through to the end with another cliffhanger. Yeah.

But all the pages in between were chock full
Holly
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I want the next book NOW!!! I absolutely loved Descendant just as much as I loved the first book. Often I find the second book in a trilogy/series to be my least favorite because they sometimes feel like a filler, and are often a bit slower paced. Luckily this was not the case at all!

Descendant picks up right where we left off in Starling , which gets points in my book. I hate time jumps within series. If something ends on a cliffhanger, I expect to start right back up and not have to
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
I really wanted to love this book but it didn't happen. I loved Fenn in the Wondrous Strange Trilogy but was disappointed in how he was portrayed in the first book of this spinoff. I will admit in this book the old Fenn was back, and I enjoyed the parts he played in the story. But there were just too many things in the story that didn't work for me. For one, it is complicated. I have read other books about ancient deities, mythology, prophecies, and lore and enjoyed them. It seemed like in this ...more
Karis
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
okay so if you want the live reading reaction my Twitter is @KaRiSxo , but I loved this story I adored how the plot messed with me and made me feel warm and cuddly then told me in Morgan Freemans voice it will kill me. like getting a waxing for the first time, everything is going okay then it gets pretty nice then all you wanna do is cry your heart out and lunch stupid people in the face. Other then that 5 stars but....4 because I have to wait for the third novel....MUST READ THOUGH! It is a ...more
Julie Czerneda
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another breathless, passionate, and ohmyhowcoulditendthere? read from Lesley Livingston. I've been a fan since her first and one of the things I admire most about this author is the depth she gives all of her characters. They leap off the page (in some cases, with the reader leaping too!)
In the 2nd installment of the Starling series, the growth of Mason is especially noticeable. There are poignant moments and some truly dark ones, but all matter to the woman she is becoming. It's no spoiler to
Hilary
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Didn't quite fulfill the promise in the first book, and I'm not entirely sure the deity mix works for me. Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series works because each mythology stays faithful to itself, and distinct, whereas here there's a lot more crossover. (view spoiler) We get a lot more time with Mason and Fennrys and Rafe, and it appears Heather, Gwen and Roth are being set up for more in ...more
Abbie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was really hoping this one was going to be better than the first, but it ended up being about the same.

It took me a lot longer than usual to read the first one because I kept switching with other books, and kept on finding stuff I needed to do because I couldn't be bothered to carry on reading it. This one turned out to be exactly the same - I read 2 other books between, and had to bribe myself with chocolate to finish it instead of distracting myself. It just couldn't keep my interest, and
!Aria!
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I wasn't all that happy with the first book. This book was Definitely A Step Up from the first book and was Definitely Better. I didn't like the ending because it left me hanging, but that's the point. The author wants you to read the next book, which I will. I liked the story and liked the pace of the book. It was good and was better then the first book. I don't want to say too much more because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet and is going to. The book had action, ...more
Louisa
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this book! Such a great sequel, and picks up quickly! And things happened fast, and I loved the developments, and I can't wait to read the last book!
Sam
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
And I weep. More to come.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
THAT was awesome and evil!!!! Damn you Lesley!!!!
Doug
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, but... another cliffhanger?! Darn you, Lesley Livingston! [shakes fist]
Charlotte  Black
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Continuing exactly where Starling left off, Mason is catapulted into Asgard (not literally) and introduced to her mother, whom she's never met. Or is it her mother?

All the hands of fate are at work and pushing Mason to grab that spear of Odin, but Mason doesn't want to. She knows she'll turn into a Valkyrie - a chooser of the slain - and it's not in her nature. But trickery is at work and Mason falls for it bigtime.

Fennrys is no stranger to Asgard, and he knows if anyone can save Mason from her
Lisa Lee
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Descendant by Lesley Livingston left me speechless. This is book 2 of the Starling Series and I really enjoyed it. The book involves with power, magic, romance, fantasy, and so much more. There was a lot more adventure in this book between different world compared to the first book. I feel like the first book is the start of a sentence and this book continues it on. I just hope everything will be righted in the end. Overall, I gave this book a 4/5. The ending of this book left such a huge cliff ...more
Rachel Anne
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed party two of the series. Things are shaking up and I'm fascinated to see how the different groups of believers are starting to interact. There were some shocker moments for sure that have kept me guessing how the series will resolve.
Mia
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time remembering book one, but there’s a lot of mythology in the story, which I enjoyed. The plot was good. I would have enjoyed it more I think if I’d remembered book 1 better.
Chin-Ning Chong
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Rather interesting, with lots of twists and new people and powers introduced. There's more people I want to punch than ever but eh, hopefully they'll be dealt with in the next book.
Kristen
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a mayor comeback from the first book. The twist at the end really got me invested. I love Rafe and Calums backstory is really interesting hoping it has a spin off.
Gowri
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book 2
Michelle
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Can't wait to get into the final book.
Lee Ann Haluska
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. I love the lore and ideas here but I can’t stand the instalove. I also feel like the characters are all one note and boring. But Loki and Valkyrie lol.
Emily Elizabeth
4.5 Stars

Descendant was a "MUST READ ASAP" book for me as soon as I finished its prequel, Starling. If you have read the first book, you know that it ends on a doozy of a cliffhanger. Like many, I had been itching to get my hands on a copy of Descendant so that I could know what happened next. Thankfully, I read Starling only about a month before the release of the second book, so I wasn't tortured as long as some of those who had read the book when it was first released. It was everything I
Gwenyth Love
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Typical middle trilogy book. Not bad, but not great either. Would love to see how the trilogy ends but unfortunately it seems the last books isn't available as an audiobook at the library....not sure if or when I will get a chance to read it.
Kirstie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Great 2nd book in the series. I like the Norse mythology and the mixture of other gods and mythology wrapped all together. This book really gets into the meat of the story and finally begins explaining what is really happening. There are a few really great characters in this book but my favorite is still the Fenrys wolf!
Haley
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book had a lot of things that I really liked, and something that made is slightly boring. I really like most of the characters and the dialogue. I read the Wondrous Strange series, so I love seeing familiar faces again. I also love all the magic and mythology. What I had a hard time with is the 3rd person narration. I think if I was listening to it as an audio book, I would have enjoyed it more. I listened to the first two Wondrous Strange book read by the author. Lesley does
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Deliverance (Defiance, #3)
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
  • The Stars Never Rise (The Stars Never Rise, #1)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
  • Defiance (Defiance, #1)
  • Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)
  • The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)
  • Black Moon (Zodiac, #3)
  • The Flame Never Dies (The Stars Never Rise, #2)
  • The Rising (Darkness Rising, #3)
  • Dark Star (Dark Star, #1)
  • Wes and Toren
  • Obsession (Ink & Iron, #1)
  • Megastar (The Stars Trilogy #1)
  • The Keeper of the Mist
  • Wandering Star (Zodiac, #2)
  • A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy, #1)

Starling (3 books)
  • Starling (Starling, #1)
  • Transcendent (Starling, #3)