Start by marking “When God Whispers Your Name” as Want to Read:
When God Whispers Your Name

When God Whispers Your Name

Are you ready to hope again? Are you ready to let go of doubt and sorrow? Just listen carefully. God is whispering your name.

Somewhere, between the pages of this book and the pages of your heart, God is speaking. And He is calling you by name.

Maybe that's hard to believe. Maybe you just can't imagine that the One who made it all thinks of you that personally -- that He kee
Published June 4th 1999 by W Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1994)

Allison Tebo
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting, down-to-earth, rational and refreshing.

Max Lucado's work is heart-changing, but they are gradual, gentle revelations - one barely notices the seeds being planted. A simple, humerus, humble HUMAN approach that is a true gift to read. Lucado gently relays truths about our Father that had me in tears more than once.

He truly is a good God - and by the end of it, i felt as if Max and I had had a conversation about Him - rejoicing in our Father and the endless joy of having God Whisper Ou
Renee
Stuff I want to remember . . .

Or perhaps you’ve never seen your name honored. And you can’t remember when you heard it spoken with kindness. If so, it may be more difficult for you to believe that God knows your name. But he does. Written on his hand. Spoken by his mouth. Whispered by his lips. Your name. And not only the name you now have, but the name he has in store for you. A new name he will give you . . . but wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. I’ll tell you about your new name in the last
Belindachaplin
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a lot of Max Lucado's books, and enjoyed every one, so when this one was available to review I decided to grab it. It is a collection of unrelated stories which weave together through the common theme that God cares for you, and wants to be closer to you and lead you, you just need to have faith in Him.

For example, the first story is of a man who used to be some kind of high-powered executive, but because he committed a big crime has been working as a humble janitor in a schoo
Amy
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: faith
I never thought I'd say this about anything Max Lucado wrote, but I found this book hard to read. There was no...pattern. It was like he took his musings and threw it into a book.
L8blmr
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man has the ability, bordering on amazing, to relate Biblical stories of long ago to present day and make them come to life. It's hard to relate to Moses,perhaps, but maybe you could relate to the former CEO of a huge company who killed a mugger and spent many years in hiding, working as a night janitor in the same building where he formerly presided at high-level meetings.

Not every piece of writing in this book struck me as brilliant, but there were some great moments to be sure. Portions
Brittany
This was my first Lucado book experience. I was intrigued by his Grace for the Moments devotional I am doing and picked up this book. Honestly I was sincerely disappointed! It was by no means revelatory, as what I look for in Christian non-fiction. I'm going to give Max the benefit of the doubt and hope not all his books are mashed up stories. I'd much rather read someones thoughts than a basic themed recollection of stories.

The stories weren't bad and didn't make for hard or boring reading, it
Christopher Hughes
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
This was the first Lucado book I ever read. It is by far my favorite of his.
Cindy
I like Lucado's ability to talk about figures and stories and concepts in the Bible and discuss them in modern terms. The janitor who used to run the head office - why that's not so different from Moses's story now, is it? Paul wasn't much as far as heroes go, was he? Died with just a few letters to his name. But those letters, written to encourage the churches in their infancy in Ephesus, Thessalonica, Phillipi, will be read in every language for thousands of years to come. What a pleasure to r ...more
Matthew Hall
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a simple read with a good number of truths. For being a religious book it lacked in the area of Biblical support. The author was confusing with the use of multiple Bible versions when scripture was used. I was not overly impressed with the writing.
Alisha I
The book is easy to read and filled with enjoyable stories. However, when I got the book, I wasn’t aware the stories/chapters would be isolated stories or unrelated vignettes. And although I enjoy each story I think the title is a little misleading as I anticipated stories that provided instances or examples of “God Whispering Your Name.” What I found instead was a book about faithful advice.
Deborah Turnmire
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"When God Whispers Your Name" By: Max Lucado - Book Review
We have all been there at one point in time or another losing faith or possibly losing our way. For some of us it becomes gradually harder to find your way back to keeping the faith & staying on the right track with our christianity. What if I told you there was a book by the widely known Max Lucado, that could easily inspire you to do better, & to understand that there is hope even in the darkest corner? Well I am going to tell
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Very good, easy to read book that will build up your spirits. It's good-natured and positive, reaffirming the spirit of a Christian reader who needs help as they take the walk. You don't have to fear that you will get behind and have trouble picking this book up if you haven't read it in a while. It is written as self-contained chapters that can be picked up and read on a casual basis. Highly recommended for the Christian in need of uplifting, faith-affirming, and positive inspirational reading.
Heidi
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
I haven't read anything by Max Lucado in years, and I had a hard time getting into this. He has so many good things to say, and I think his teaching is solid, but his writing is a little choppy for me. I imagine he's a good speaker, because he gets to the point quickly and uses lots of illustrations. Just not my style of literature.
Ronald
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Max always have a way of using humor with his story telling as they relate to the Word. I seem to retain his message better through this concept.
Lisa
May 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Each chapter is an individual story. Was ok-didn't light me up.
Jeremy Manuel
I remember reading this once before, but as I came to read it again I found I couldn't remember much about it. Now that I've finished this second read I can understand why I haven't remembered too much. It's not that When God Whispers Your Name is a bad book, it just winds up being a fairly average one.

The book is written with a focus on giving people hope. Particularly hope to keep their faith and understand that God knows them, loves them, and is there for them. This is done by presenting a nu
Anastasia Lynn
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I have read by Max Lucado and it was life changing! This book talks about various situations that every Christian has gone through at some point in their life. Through these life-changing situations Lucado explains how God is present even when we feel like he is absent. He provides excerpts of scripture in each chapter showing how God is always nearby not just for us but for all of mankind. The book ties in scripture, humor, and impeccable writing in each chapter. Each ch ...more
Crystal Sparks
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Someone gave me this book and I avoided it for a long time. The title and cover didn’t beckon me to read it. Once I started it I couldn’t put it down! I loved this book so much! I have recommended it to others and find myself continually referencing different chapters from the book. This would be a great book to read as a devotional. So so good!
Brent
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for refreshing your perspective

This is an amazing book, very accessible and easy to relate. It’s conversational tone makes it feel as though you’re talking with a friend, a mentor. Thanks for the wonderful book Max.
Elle
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians
It took me forever to read this book. I read it little by little until it was done. It was such an encouraging book showing how God loves us. It is packed full of little vignettes that touch the soul and remind us who we are to God.
Scott Meikle
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up an old favorite of mine and remembered again why it was such a favorite. Clear, touching, and easily digestible in short connected stories. My favorite book from this great writer and lover of people. Reading this brings me comfort, peace, and joy. I highly highly recommend it.
Kayisha Thomas
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's an amazing book! I got convicted, I laughed, I had a few tears in my eyes and it really touched my heart. I know God knows my name, He speaks my name and He knows yours too. Great read, very insightful.
Benjamin Barnes
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the spiritual teachings and how easy it is to relate to max LucadoS Books
Dee Paisley
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Subtle and valuable!
Ilene P. Cash
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Return to reading again

Memory takes me back to the pleasure I had the first time, I will finish the narrative, see you later....reading AGAIN.
Emanuel Oncea
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what a wonderful book, you will find yourself smiling maybe sometimes crying but for sure you will find hope after you read this. God bless you all
Jasmine Shadows
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another book that I had read many years ago and saw on a friend's bookshelf. She is reading through it now. This was actually one of my favorite by this author.
Laurel Hicks
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's no one so uplifting as Max.
Ria Ungson
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very very inspiring. In what I am going through right now, it was very timely. God speaks really loud to those who opens their heart to Him.
Beckie Trevivian
A great devotional style book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?
  • Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back: Persevering Through Pressure
  • A Heart Like His: Seeking the Heart of God Through a Study of David - Member Book
  • Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • When, God, When?: Learning to Trust in God's Timing
  • How to Listen to God
  • What Are You Afraid Of?: Facing Down Your Fears with Faith
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • God Will Make a Way: What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do
  • Christianity in Crisis
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https:/
“Be a child again. Flirt. Giggle. Dip your cookies in your milk. Take a nap. Say you're sorry if you hurt someone. Chase a butterfly. Be a child again.” 303 likes
“The past does not have to be your prison. You have a voice in your destiny. You have a say in your life. You have a choice in the path you take.” 191 likes