Start by marking “Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor (Irish Country #8)” as Want to Read:
Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor (Irish Country #8)

Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor

(Irish Country #8)

Fans of Taylor’s bestselling Irish Country novels know Dr. Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly as the irascible senior partner of a general practice in the colorful Irish village of Ballybucklebo. Newly married to his once long-lost sweetheart, he’s ready to settle into domestic bliss, but there’s always something requiring his attention, be it a riding accident, a difficult patient ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Forge Books

Start your review of Fingal O'Reilly, Irish Doctor (Irish Country #8)
Jean
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Irish Doctor series and thought it was finished a number of years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it is still on going. This book is the first one out after I had stop reading the series.

In this book the author flashes back and forth between the past and present of O’Reilly’s life. Taylor goes back to O’Reilly’s early days just after graduating from medical school. In 1936, he goes to work in the Dublin tenements in a street dispensary (medical clinic). It is here we m
Lisa of Hopewell
I love this series (except for "An Irish Country Girl" which I thought was ridiculous), but it seemed to me that the author was "coasting" on this one.

First the good: The story was as wonderful as Taylor's series always is. The characters are among my favorites. I honestly look forward to each new book in this series so much so that I hate to criticize, but I must.

Now, The bad: Too much overly-stilted conversation drawn from newspapers of the day, old medical textbooks and the like. It is a ser
Susan
It has been awhile since my last visit to Ballybucklebo, and being there again was lovely. This book hops back and forth between Fingal in his current life and Fingal as a new doctor working in the slums of Dublin. The transitions are handled smoothly, with each trip to the past instigated by something that is happening in the present.

In the portions that take place in Dublin, Fingal has taken a post as a GP (general practitioner), helping an older doctor in the Liberties section of Dublin. The
Jill
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having read all of Patrick's books and luckily having him as a delightful neighbour, I got a very early preview of it. I must say his books get better and better all the time. Besides letting us revel in the charm of the Ballybucklebo residents, Fingal O'Reilly's stories lead us to more and more facets of his life and broaden the horizons of his (and our) world. And just you wait for the next one!
Kathy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a winner of the First Reads Giveaway Program. I loved it! Having read the others, it was like coming home again and getting back in touch with familiar characters. It is comforting to know that this series has not ended - now I'll have to wait for the next book. Dr. Fingal O'Reilly and the others are as vivid in my mind as if I truly met them in real life. The book intertwined the past and present and Dr. Taylor even provided some interesting medical history as part of th ...more
Rachel
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads
I recieved this book for free through the goodreads first reads program. I loved it! Fingal O'Reilly is such a lovable and relateable character. I was worried at first about the book jumping between past and present, but Taylor did an amazing job of seaming the two times together. A truly enjoyable read.
Helen
More of the life and times of a Northern Ireland rural doctor in the 1930s and '60s. The author was an Irish doctor who has ended up living on Saltspring Island here in B.C. This book gives information on the difficulties in doctoring the poor of Dublin in the 1930s and the way things changed by the time we reached the 1960s. Some of the changes occurred at the same time here in Canada and I can even remember some of it. Taylor gives a glossary at the end, something that is truly helpful, althou ...more
R.M. Kinder
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Patrick Taylor book about Fingal O'Reilly, and I love it. I'm not so enamored with the doctor himself, but with the people, the vibrant dialect, the values--the entire world. It's tough because of the poverty--which the good doctor and family see and lament but do not suffer--but the heart of community is so good. I love too the way Taylor weaves in his special knowledge of medicine, past and emerging, home and clinic treatments, literature, music, politics, American music and f ...more
Eden
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2020 bk 222. I enjoyed this book the best of the Irish Country Series I've read so far. It focuses on Dr. O'Reilly, providing his back story. He truly is a man who was blessed by doing what he wanted to do, and where he wanted to do it, and he knows that. Not a selfish man, he wants what he has for others and is blessed to have a giving heart.
Mary
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alternating chapters of Dr O’Reilly in Dublin in 1936 with Kitty and in Ballybucklebo in 1965 again with Kitty. I love the sense of place and times and the medical details are very interesting. The characters are endearing and it’s a pleasure to read.
Linden
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story alternates between Dr. Fingal O'Reilly's current medical practice in the Irish village of Ballybucklebo, and his early days as a new graduate in Dublin. The narrator, John Keating, brings the story to life with has wonderful assortment of Irish voices.
Michele Frazier
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These books are so interesting, they take you back to a time where modern medicine did not exist. Treatments were iffy and the world was on the edge of medical miracles.
Sharone Powell
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Navigating between Fingal's life as a newly married man at present to Fingal's work in the tenements of Dublin before the war. Fingal becomes attached to his patients and feels that being a GP is his life's calling. Of particular interest is him risking his career in order to save a poor boy's life by the use of a new kind of antibiotics. That was my favorite part.

Other than that, nothing is much developed. I would have preferred a novel set completely in the past or the present and a story bet
Tom Driver
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read all the Irish Country Doctor books through this latest offering and I've enjoyed each one. Taylor does a nice job bringing his characters to life and reading through book #8 is like catching up with old friends. I particularly enjoyed how Taylor used this book to give us additional back story on Fingal O'Reilly. It was interesting to follow Fingal through his first job as a GP in the rough part of Dublin. We also learned more about the early relationship between Fingal and Kitty. Throu ...more
Diana
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great addition to a wonderful series, once I started it I couldn't put it down. These books are very entertaining, and I'm glad they were recommended to me. If you enjoy James Herriot or Richard Gordon these books are for you.

Re-read 2018
This book alternates between the current timeline of the books of the mid-1960's, and the late 1930's when Dr. O'Reilly first becomes a practicing doctor. We're starting to get some of the original storylines wrapped up and new ones beginning. The
Pamela
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I adore the Irish Country Doctor books. The instant I open the cover, I'm transported to another place and time where I can spend time with some old friends. These books are absolutely delightful and this one is no exception. You know you're reading a good book when between the covers you can experience laughter and tears and the story touches your heart. I'm looking forward to my next visit to Ballybucklebo.
Patricia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I definitely want to read this whole series! Patrick Taylor has created a wonderful, compassionate character in Fingal O'Reilly and all who come into his life. It's funny, sad, witty, and everything that's wonderful and Irish. Taylor has also included a glossary of sayings and vocabulary that greatly helped me understand ; not that it was hard to read. This is a pleasure! Give this series a try!
Patrice Fischer
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would give this book (1 of several in a series) a 4.5.
I'm sure this author isn't for everyone. However, at bedtime it's nice to read a novel that is not too taxing on either intellect or emotions. Plus, I learn quite a few things about Ireland/medical practice/life in the 1960's each time.
All in all, a satisfying read.
Connie
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know how I discovered Patrick Taylor, but I'm glad I did. His books are fun, entertaining and the characters are wonderful. His stories are equal to me to those of Mauve Binchey, whom I absolutely love as well. I have all of Patrick Taylor's books. Love him.
Joan
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such fun, reading this book and learning how much the practice of medicine has changed with the added interest of the setting in Ireland. The characters are of continued interest.
Patti
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came back to catch up on a favorite series, the Irish Country Doctor series by Patrick Taylor. Back to the Irish village of Ballybucklebo, Dr. Fingal O’Reilly, and all the colorful villagers that create unforgettable stories. Some are sad, some are happy, some are hilarious, but all are part of the fabric of Irish country life and the doctors that make compassion foremost in their lives.

It’s been a few years since I finished #7 in the series. #8 “Fingal O’Reilly, Irish Doctor” came out but it
Kate
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, ireland
"Fans of Taylor’s bestselling Irish Country novels know Dr. Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly as the irascible senior partner of a general practice in the colorful Irish village of Ballybucklebo. Newly married to his once long-lost sweetheart, the former Kitty O'Halloran, he’s ready to settle into domestic bliss, but there’s always something requiring his attention, be it a riding accident, a difficult patient with a worrisome heart condition, a spot of grouse-hunting, or even some tricky shenanigans at ...more
Adrienne Hugo
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read a couple of the other books in the Irish Country series by Patrick Taylor and was glad to find this book just before St. Patrick's Day! I love the author's use of the Irish dialect and find that it slows me down as a reader (not always a bad thing, right?) and transports me to a different place (which I'd like to visit some day soon.) Being a book about medicine and doctoring, sometimes the descriptions of diseases and accidents make me a bit uneasy because they are so vivid. However, ...more
Paul Weiss
Before and after with Kitty O’Halloran!

FINGAL O’REILLY, IRISH DOCTOR
resumes the story of the much-loved family doctor of 1960s Ballybuckleboo , Ireland, after his recent marriage to Kitty O’Halloran, his long-lost Dublin sweetheart.

The format of alternating present day in 1960s Northern Ireland with flashbacks to 1930s Dublin when O’Reilly was a keen medical student allows Taylor to use the technique of “compare and contrast” between O’Halloran’s life as a student vis-à-vis his career as a succ
Melissa Cunning
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think has been my favourite book of the series so far. There was so much heart in the story. To learn about the early days of 1930s medicine through O'Reilly's eyes all while getting a deeper insight to his family life and the twist and turns that he had Kitty O'Halloren had to take.
I must tell you, knowing that the times of war are approaching and there is so much more to O'Reilly's past story makes me look forward to reading the next book. And with Kinky and Barry also returning while explo
Alexandra Storm
I am 'reading' the book as an audiobook. I have been reading the series for years now and like other reviewers look forward to the characters. The explanations of the medical jargon seem to get longer. Though I work in the medical field and am very familiar with everything, i understand why for the non-medical reader, explanations are a must. But they turned very long.

My main complaint with this book and the last as well, is the vocalization and socialization of the characters in the 1930s. It d
Laura Edwards
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoy learning about Dr. Fingal O'Reilly's past, but the movement between time periods just did not transition as smoothly as in the previous book dealing with his past. Not sure why. Also, far more history lessons than the norm seemed crammed unnaturally into conversations.

I think I was as torn as O'Reilly about which young doctor was going to stay, Barry or Jenny. I've really grown to like Jenny in these couple of books. And Barry had started to grow whiny.

As usual, a celebration wi
Anna
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This book dragged on for me somewhat, going back and forth, confusingly at times between the past and present of Fingal O'Reilly's life. Patrick Taylor's writing is consistent, his stories feel authentic and are certainly entertaining. I persevered with this book as I needed to know why Kitty broke up with him. I found the chapters about his experimentation with the early version of sulfonamides very interesting. I think if I hadn't just read several others in the series, I would have enjoyed th ...more
Anna
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I enjoy the series of books - and this is the 4th one I read - but I have to say I got very bored with this one and just wanted it to end.

I feel the writer tried to fill pages and so many of the pages felt like a basic history book on medical practices. While I enjoyed the stories of the characters when the book turned to being real specific, descriptive of some medical finding or procedure I found my mind wandering.

The narrator was, as always, very good.

I will take a break from the series for a
Toni Laliberte
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a departure from the other books in that it jumped back and forth from the 1930's, when Dr. O'Reilly first became a doctor and was working in Dublin and the 1960's, in Ballybucklebo. I really enjoyed learning about where he first worked as a doctor, in the Tenements. He really cared about all his patients, just like he still does. He's a remarkable character.
Patrick Taylor is a phenomenal author. He explains all the medical jargon in a way that doesn't confuse me or lose me. I'm r

• The Young Country Doctor Book 3: Bilbury Revels
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 2: Bilbury Grange
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 1: Bilbury Chronicles
  • Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21)
  • Constable on the Prowl (Constable Nick Mystery #2)
  • On Ocean Boulevard
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 4: Bilbury Country
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 5: Bilbury Village
  • Whisper To The Blood (Kate Shugak, #16)
  • Gentlemen Bootleggers: The True Story of Templeton Rye, Prohibition, and a Small Town in Cahoots
  • Shell Games The Life and Times of Pearl McGill, Industrial Spy and Pioneer Labor Activist
  • The Loch Ness Papers (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • The Young Country Doctor Book 8: Bilbury Tonic
  • The Shooting at Chateau Rock (Bruno, Chief of Police #13)
  • Brother & Sister
  • The Sign of the Book (Cliff Janeway, #4)
  • The Deepest Water
  • Last Girl Standing
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Taylor, M.D., is the author of the Irish Country books, including An Irish Country Doctor, An Irish Country Village, An Irish Country Christmas, An Irish Country Girl, and An Irish Country Courtship. Taylor was born and raised in Bangor, County Down, in Northern Ireland. After qualifying as a specialist in 1969, he worked in Canada for thirty-one

Irish Country (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country #1)
  • An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2)
  • An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3)
  • An Irish Country Girl (Irish Country #4)
  • An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)
  • A Dublin Student Doctor  (Irish Country #6)
  • An Irish Country Wedding (Irish Country #7)
  • Home Is the Sailor (Irish Country #8.5)
  • An Irish Doctor in Peace and at War (Irish Country #9)
  • An Irish Doctor in Love and at Sea (Irish Country #10)

News & Interviews