Start by marking “Dark City” as Want to Read:
Dark City

Dark City (Repairman Jack: The Early Years #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  791 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Dark City is the second of a new prequel trilogy, Repairman Jack: The Early Years by F. Paul Wilson.

It's February 1992. Desert Storm is raging in Iraq but twenty-two-year-old Jack has more pressing matters at home. His favorite bar, The Spot, is about to be sold out from under Julio, Jack's friend. Jack has been something of a tag-along to this point, but now he takes the
Published October 15th 2013 by Tor Books (first published July 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dark City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark City

Rick Soper
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the three book prequel that will make up the final Repairman Jack novels. It's once again giving the background about how Jack came to be the man that took on the horrifying Rakoshi in The Tomb. It's an entertaining story thats working along a number of story lines. If your new to F. Paul Wilson then you should know that nearly everything he's written is connected to a much larger Secret History of the world and every repairman Jack novel walks the fine line between Le ...more
Benjamin Thomas
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The second book of the Repairman Jack prequel trilogy takes place in 1991 and continues to show us Jack’s progression from an adolescent and somewhat naïve rogue to who he will become as the formidable Repairman Jack. In this volume, Jack is only 22 years old but really turns the corner from follower to leader and begins to stake out his future as a fixer.

Several subplots intertwine in this book. The major plot from book one where Jack helps to put down a ring of child enslavement/sex fiends con
Nick
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent, but as with the preceding entry in this trilogy, a serious case of prequelitis. It's definitely interesting to see the way Jack's philosophy is developing over time, but I really don't need every ancillary character from the rest of the series to appear for a brief fan service cameo. And please, please, please, F. Paul Wilson: stop writing sex scenes. You are really very bad at it, and I would like you to stop.
Mike (the Paladin)
I put this on my Urban Fantasy shelf mostly as a nod to "what's to come" in the series. Here we are just establishing the character and filling in ground work and answering a few questions that may have been in the minds of some readers who have read through the series (these are prequels written after the series). There is even the answer to one of the inside jokes for those who hadn't read vintage or classic science fiction. The name Isher Sporting Goods get explained.

"Jack" (he comes away fro
Jim
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Getting Dark But It's Not There Yet

DARK CITY is part 2 of the prequel trilogy of F.Paul Wilson's best-selling Repairman Jack series. The trilogy describes Jack's entrée into his adult life as "Repairman Jack" (still sans a nome de gun and and answering machine) as a 22 year old in 1991 NYC. Part 2 picks up directly after the opener, with Jack looking for wheels and deciding on the Corvair referred to but not seen in the adult series. He is still entangled with the Muslim pedophile slave tr
Amy Lignor
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, the second installment in a prequel, focuses on the early years of this author’s Repairman Jack series.

With this tale, readers are taken back in time to observe a 22-year-old Jack running from a gang of Dominicans. The angry group has their machetes waving high above their heads, as Jack climbs on top of a moving subway train to get away. In other words, from page one, the action is intense.

It is the early 1990’s and Jack is trying to settle down in New York City. On his way to becoming an
David Agranoff
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: revenge
The middle book in the trilogy of Repairman Jack prequel novels set in the character’s early years in NYC is about how the character became who he is. This novel is great for F.Paul Wilson nerds but it is clearly a fan service. Being that I am a serious fan of this character and world, to say I was happy with it is an understatement. I am not sure this book would have the same effect if you were not a reader with 15 Jack novels in the back of your mind.

That said Dark City is a well plotted crime
William Bentrim
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark City by F. Paul Wilson

I may be one of the few action adventure readers who has just discovered Repairman Jack. This is a series that documents one man's quest to right wrongs in a unique vigilante/godfather manner.

This specific book appears to be the middle book of a trilogy chronicling the early years of Repairman Jack.

I read the Keep, a book in another Wilson series years ago and was impressed. I'm somewhat dismayed I wasn't more diligent in keeping track of what Wilson was writing as
Jessica Bronder
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack is back. He is still fighting with the Muslim pedophiles that he broke up their slave trade/sex ring in Cold City. He is also helping his friend Julio keep The Spot from being sold but the other owners. He also has a run in with Dominicans from the landscaping job he worked when he first got into town. We also get to see how Jack is training, working with the blackness that takes him over, and starts planning on how to take care of situations with a more creative eye.

This is only the second
Randy
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this second volume of the Early Years trilogy, we continue to see the events that are transforming the young man Jack into the very formidable Repairman Jack of the main series.

Following the first volume, the Order is looking for jack and the two men who broke up their child enslavement/sex toy ring and stole their three million dollars. They set up a trap to grab them and find their money.

At the same time, terrorists are plotting to bring Jihad to the U.S. and are allied with the Order. They
Michael
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I wrote in my review of the first book in this trilogy, Cold City, applies just the same to the sequel:

Here is what I was hoping for: an origin story about Jack stripped of the big Adversary Cycle plot arc with its conspiracies and supernatural angles. Give me Jack as a plain urban mercenary... There are few things I enjoy reading more than Jack kicking dirt bag butt. And in Cold City, there are some serious dirt bags in need of justice.

However, Dark City suffers as many middle books of tri
Sean Newgent
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing only a few months after Cold City, Dark City is the same writing style, the same characters, and a total continuation of the last book. If you're thinking about jumping into this book without reading Cold City DO NOT.

Otherwise the child slave ring is still an issue, the jihadists are getting crazier, and Jack is getting more and more of a badass. There's enough crisp, fun dialogue and action to keep you reading late into the night and it's definitely a fantastic bridge to the finale
Mark
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jack. I love this series ... but I was (slightly) disappointed in this book. Too much Muslim terrorists and not enough Jack!

That being said, any book by Wilson is worth reading. He is blessed with a talent for straight-ahead narrative, no frills. Unlike his more famous (???) contemporaries Stephen King and Dean Koontz, Wilson has never fallen into the trap of over-writing with no editor brave enough to do the needed cutting and slap-aside-the-head asking "What are you thinking?"
Nathan Washor
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great series I have stumbled into. I have found a new (to me) go to series to read inbetween the doorstop fantasy novels I tend to read. These repairman Jack novels are fast and hard hitting. I'm really liking the diversion.

Better review should be forthcoming, but I need to get some sleep now. I was up much of the night reading.
Tama
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, now that I am completely caught up I have to wait until November for the third book! I'm enjoying this intro to Repairman Jack.

This all takes place pre-9/11 and the plot involves Muslim extremists and jihad, so if that subject matter doesn't appeal, this storyline through the trilogy might not be for you. Just FYI.
Tim Healy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying watching the build up to the "full blown" Repairman Jack persona. This book hangs together well, and seems to have a less arbitrary ending point than the first one in this "Young Jack" trilogy. I'm looking forward to starting the third volume, now.
Sherry
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into the Repairman Jack character and his development. Lots of action! Can't wait for the next installment.
John
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of the trilogy. Only disappointment was that I finished this book and book 3, Fear City is not yet published. Left me with a cliff hanger until the book is released.
John
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you are a big fan of Repairman Jack like I am, then you will enjoy this.
David Allatt
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this one 4.5 stars. The series kept me reading and I'm already listening to the third book of the series. This book jumps a bit plot wise from the first book, diving into Jack in 1992 and continues the story lines from the first book, building up some of the relationships and closing down some of the plot lines as it lays the ground for the final book in the trilogy.

Looking forward to wrapping up the Repairman Jack early years and giving the core series a try.
Annette McKirdy
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here I am at the end of another book! It seems amazing I have read so many, but every one of them have been 5* all the way!!!! can't

Put them down. As soon as I finish one book, I'm on to the next one. I don't know what I'll do when I finish them all!!!!..!
Lloyd
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No doubt: once I'm all finished catching up with Mr. Wilson's books...I'm re-reading the Secret History in chronological order. LOVE these books. Team RJ 4ever.
David
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I love F. Paul Wilson's books, especially any with Repairman Jack, but two things need to be noted here. First, it's a filler trilogy. In other words, this trilogy of Cold City-Dark City-Fear City is one you don't need to have to enjoy the meat of it: the larger novels that start with The Tomb. This is a trilogy for established fans to get more of an origin story. I doubt that it has the same impact for someone who doesn't know all that Jack has done in the other books. Second, it suffers from b ...more
Kristy Maitz
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
The second book of "The Early Years" is from my point of view a little more satisfying read compare to the first book in the same series. Why? Because the problems from first story plot get finalized and main char even works on his own way of living.

So far it's pulling and I will continue with next book.
Larry
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most middle books in a planned trilogy suffer from 'no beginning' & 'no resolution'. This book is no exception. This defect is magnified by the vast expanse of Repairman Jack short stories and novels. There is a prequel trilogy to this trilogy and several Jack stories from this period in his timeline.

Readers wanting to enter the Repairman Jack universe, let's call it the Jack-verse, should begin with The Tomb. The Tomb is an exceptionally good novel against which all other Jack novels should
Dick
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My enjoyment of Wilson's 2nd Early Repairman Jack book was tempered by the fact that I thought that it was one of the last books in the series. I lost my list of the various books when I moved and just started reading this thinking it was what I said.
Jack is more real to me as his character in the later novels. More mystery, horror, fiction and less blood and guts (well, no, not really, but maybe you get my drift.) When the older Jack does bad things, he is usually doing them because the world
Rhonda
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gor years a new Repairman Jack book meant that everything else in my life stopped while I devoured it. I'm sorry to say that hasn't been the case with these "Early Years" books. I'm reading out of devotion,and if truth be told, if this were by someone else, I probably wouldn't have finished it. I've 2 interrelated complaints, outside the fact that rather than having self-contained plots, this trilogy features one that runs throughout. 1. There's not enough Jack. I want to see how he became Repai ...more
Chris Cosci
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fast-paced thrill ride in the prequel trilogy of the Repairman Jack series. Once again, Jack is thrust into the role of helping people fix problems in his own special way, but he's learning a lot of dark things about such a life and how it affects him.

This is definitely not a stand-alone book and requires the first book (Cold City) at the very least as an intro. Knowing Jack's future also helps a lot. In fact, to avoid spoilers, there's one scene where Jack is approached and aided by som
Lisa
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's kind of a miracle that I ever started reading the Repairman Jack series. I read the paranormal that ends up being alternate-world with vampires and shape-shifters. I read the range of fantasy. I read dense speculative fiction and space opera and everything inbetween. I read teenage girl books provided their set in a cool world and the writing is paced well.

These books do not fit in that mold. It's fix-it man stuff with very little ass-kicking. In the early Repairman Jack stuff it is
Beth
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book two in the Repairman Jack middle years trilogy. One more to go, and then I guess we'll be done with Jack's story. That makes me sad, but I know that all good things must come to an end, and F. Paul Wilson has almost told all he seems willing to tell about Jack.

After reading the later years' stories (when Jack has been the Repairman for quite some time already), it's been a treat to read his early years growing up in the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, and now this trilogy as he morphs i
  • Children of the Underground (Children of Paranoia #2)
  • Truth and Fear (Wolfhound Century, #2)
  • Black Scorpion: The Tyrant Reborn
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War
  • The Mountain (Event Group Thriller #10)
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • Callsign: Bishop (Erik Somers) (Chess Team, #5)
  • Blood Brothers (The Order of the Sanguines, #1.5)
  • Shadow Tag
  • Borrowed Power
  • Vessels (Timmy Quinn #3)
  • The Doomsday Brunette (Nuclear Bombshell, #2)
  • Savages (Surviving the Dead, #6)
  • The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)
  • Love Is the Law
  • Age of Blood (SEAL Team 666 #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Nightbringer
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Repairman Jack: The Early Years (3 books)
  • Cold City (Repairman Jack: The Early Years, #1)
  • Fear City (Repairman Jack: The Early Years, #3 )

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00