Start by marking “Ringworld: The Graphic Novel, Part One” as Want to Read:
Ringworld: The Graphic Novel, Part One

Ringworld: The Graphic Novel, Part One

(Ringworld: The Graphic Novel #1)

A modern science fiction classic, Larry Niven's Ringworld won the Hugo and Nebula Awards for best novel in 1970. Now this SF classic is adapted into a thrilling manga adventure by Robert Mandell and Sean Lam.

In Ringworld: The Graphic Novel, Part One, two-hundred-year-old human Louis Wu is recruited by a two-headed alien named Nessus to join him, a catlike warrior alien nam
Published July 8th 2014 by Tor/Seven Seas (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Ringworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ringworld

Bob Lee
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book reminded me of why I liked the original novel. You get exactly what the title says. This is a black and white graphic novel or manga style book of Niven's Ringworld. I read the soft cover version in an evening, and found it sort of like a visual cliff notes of Niven's story. All of the major plots of the novel are covered.

It starts with an overview of the human-kzin war and proceeds to the Puppeteer, Nessus, recruiting Louis Wu and others on a secret mission, which is to explore Ringwor
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review by John posted at Layers of Thought.

Niven’s classic award-winning 1970 science fiction story turned into a graphic novel.

Description: It is 2850 and space adventurer Louis Wu is celebrating his 200th birthday. Thanks to boosterspice he still has the physique and mental agility of a twenty year old, and he has wealth that allows him to do almost anything that he wants. But he feels like he has done it all already and he is bored.

Enter Nessus, a two-headed alien Pierson’s Puppeteer
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I bought this graphic novel because it was really cheap, I regret it. I didn't like it at all, I was dreading to even read it and it's super short.
Bill
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Graphic novel adaptation of the first part of the first "Ringworld" novel. The plot stays true to the original source, which is good and bad. It's great to see the characters' reactions to the plotting and intrigue between alien races, especially when those aliens are portrayed in highly expressive manga-style drawings. But some parts, such as a few unnecessarily long, drawn out travel sequences, should have been shortened to keep things moving and introduce more action and conflict in this firs ...more
Eric Stodolnik
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay... So I read these two graphic novels backwards. I found part 2 in a Half Price Books store quite a few months ago, and being such a HUGE HUGE HUGE Larry Niven's Known Space fan, I just absolutely had to get it. And seeing as how I had already read the entirety of all the Known Space books, let alone Ringworld... I said fuckit at just read the second part first...

Then the other day, I just happened across this copy of part 1 in a different Half Price Books. So of course I had to get it to
Troy Campbell
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The ultimate interstellar road trip, with Louis as The Easygoing Guy, Speaker as The Jock, Nessus as The Weird Friend and Teela as The Girl With Few Lines.

Good old Ringworld. I grew up on wrinkled old Niven paperbacks and this is a worthy manga-fied novel. Not the best art, but you also have to work within your budget and timeline. There are some minor changes to the plot here and there, and Teela is less useless - some of the things Louis says and does are swapped with her - Louis slips on the
Vince
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay. I approached this adaptation having never read Niven's classic 1970s novel, Ringworld, or its sequels, though I have read several of Niven's collaborations with Jerry Pournelle from that period.

The art is decent.
The dialogue feels stilted.
The story is chauvinist. While the adaptation team perhaps deserves kudos for faithfulness to the novel in this regard, I didn't care for the attitude.

Evaluated purely as an adventure romp, the story is too long and characters are too shallow. T
Ron Turner
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not a big fan of the manga-style artwork but I did enjoy seeing Larry Niven's universe brought to life. I'm curious to see if Amazon moves forward with their plans to make it into a television series. I'd love to see the Kzin in action. Imagine Klingons but as badass cat people.
Ciara Barsotti
May 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wish I had started with the original novel... this was terrible!!
Kelsey
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
2.75
Kammera
I think because of the paperback format, it was a little hard to clearly see the graphics with the spine interfering with the pictures. Also, the paper quality made the pictures look poorly rendered at times so I found myself really straining to see WHAT was being portrayed. I liked this because RingWorld is one of my all time favorites but slightly disappointed in this product. A full color glossy book would have made it perfect.
Heather Lee Dyer
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ringworld is my favorite book of all time. Since I was just introduced to graphic novels this year, I was excited that Larry Niven came out with a graphic novel for Ringworld. I love that the story of Ringworld is being introduced to a new and wider audience with this graphic adaption. I think that someone who has not read the original book might get a bit lost at times in some of the scenes, but overall I was thrilled with it, and look forward to the following books.
Just a funny side note, as
John (JP)
I never read Larry Niven's novel which the this graphic novel is based on. The story is about members of 3 different groups, Humans , the warrior and cat like Kzin, and the Puppeteers(whose civilization is based on an ethos of cowardice) and their quest to investigate an alien mega structure known as Ringworld. After reading this comic book version of the book I will be reading the novel. The graphic novel serves as a good introduction to writing style of Larry Niven. While a novel might emphasi ...more
Robu-sensei
Pretty decent graphical rendition of Ringworld, in a semi-manga style. I like how the artist rendered Nessus and Speaker-to-Animals, though Nessus's lip knobs are too short to be really useful (probably to make him cuter than he should look). My only complaint is that in scenes showing large parts of the Ringworld, the topology is way out of scale relative to the overall size of the structure. If we can see the entire width of the Ringworld, nothing besides major seas and biomes should be visibl ...more
Andrew Schriber
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I recently reread Ringworld. The book was better than I remembered. I heard about the graphic Novels and put them on my Christmas list. I am not a graphic Novel Fan, and this book did little to change that 0pinion. The story is a great one, but I favor the pictures I generate in my mind to those created by others. Get this book if you like graphic Novels. If you don't read the book it is amazing.
Mark
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's been years since I read Ringworld. When I learned about this graphic novel I was curious. The black & white manga style graphic novel is an interesting read. It reminds me about the things that annoyed me in Niven's tale, so they've captured the spirit of his story well. The art is eye-catching and amusing. I wish it were all in one volume, but I plan to buy the next volume when it comes out.
Talia Colley
I haven't read any hard SF for a while, so it was nice to get back into that genre. This graphic novel was a nice, quick dive into the atory, but I also have the regular novel that I'll be reading soon. Since there are aliens in this story, it was interesting to see them drawn in this book. I saw this book on some Best Science Fiction list, and so far the story does not disappoint.
Eric
Jul 08, 2014 added it
Looking at the Sneak Peek: Ringworld, The Graphic Novel, Part One from Tor ( http://torforgeblog.com/2014/07/07/sn... )

Looks real good, only strange bit is the puppeteers look very different than I imagined.
Robert Gilson
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this. I've read the novel at least three times but this was a fun introduction to both the Ringworld novels and The Known Space books. The art was fun and seeing the Kzinti done in the correct Rat-Cat look.
William Tracy
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really great edition of Ringworld. This reminded me why I liked the original story so much. I could have done without the Manga-stye drawings, but since there are a lot of aliens, it doesn't matter too much. Looking forward to volume 2.
Jason
Jan 09, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2014
Felt like I was missing bits and pieces, like maybe it needs to be longer to be a decent adaptation. Also, the art seemed rushed and sloppy in some places.
Re Garrett
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
The story is really too complex for the manga/graphic novel format. nevertheless, when the next volume comes out, I'll probably buy it.
James
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gives some fascinating possibilities for the future.
Sam Pagel
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty silly
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

Pacing was uneven and there wasn't enough action to keep me engrossed in the story. Things picked up at the end, though, so I'm interested to see where the story goes
Paula
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I stopped reading it because I couldn't understand the descriptions of the world.

Read by Tom Parker, a favorite voice.
Jason
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having not read any Ringworld novels yet, this graphic novel did a good job getting me interested in doing so. The main characters are an interesting mix and I look forward to future parts.
John Henery
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A cool graphic novel that makes me want to read the series.
Doc Wabaki
Jun 15, 2013
Victor E. Medrano
Oct 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Predator: Big Game
  • Music of the Spheres (The Interstellar Age, #2)
  • Firefly: Generations
  • The Mind Thing
  • Dark as Day (Cold as Ice, #3)
  • Doctor Who: First Frontier
  • Sidney, Stella and the Moon
  • Legends Walking (Athanor, #2)
  • Those Who Watch
  • The Great Time Machine Hoax
  • To Walk the Night
  • Time Nomads (Deathlands, #11)
  • As on a Darkling Plain
  • Quantum Leap: The Novel
  • Independence Day: Crucible: The Official Prequel
  • Duel at Shattered Rock (Star Wars: The Clone Wars Secret Missions, #3)
  • Dark Matter Volume 1: Rebirth
  • Eureka: Road Less Traveled (Eureka, #3)
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more