Start by marking “My Life In Black And White” as Want to Read:
My Life In Black And White

My Life In Black And White

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
When Clara Bishop, a struggling screenwriter-turned-tabloid journalist in Hollywood, is jilted by her philandering husband, she follows him to London, determined to win him back. Armed with only a glamorous wardrobe of vintage clothing inherited from her grandmother, a former film noir actress, Clara discovers that the clothes really do make the woman. Dressed to kill, she ...more
Published June 4th 2013 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Life In Black And White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life In Black And White

Megan Readinginthesunshine
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Life In Black And White is a fantastically written book. From the very first pages I was hooked to the story, I read it in a few sittings and was even sat up in bed late at night finishing the last chapters.

I loved the character of Clara, the novel is told from her eyes and she is a truly wonderful narrator. I warmed to her straight away and I was interested in her character, in her actions and I constantly wanted to know what she was going to do next. I really felt as though I connected with
Sylvia Duckworth
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a disappointing read for me. It started off well but got quite silly and juvenile. For LIGHT summer reading only i.e. mindless.
Harpercollins Canada
Author Kim Izzo described My Life in Black and White as “film noir meets screwball comedy.” As a former film student with an affinity for chick flicks, I had to pick it up and read right away!

My Life in Black and White follows Clara Bishop, a celebrity gossip reporter who has recently been wronged by her husband. At the beginning of the novel, he abruptly divorces her and leaves for London with his 21-year-old mistress. Clara, who had previously purchased a plane ticket to surprise her husband o
Andrea Heans
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I had never really thought about the film noir genre until I read this book. Kim Izzo seems to make writing look so effortless, as her books just flow even when the point of view changes.
Nancydrew
May 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish - not for me
CiderandRedRot
Promising chicklit with a film noir/golden age of Hollywood twist that completely jumps the shark when the heroine, Clara, somehow goes back in time to 1950s London thanks to a magical suitcase of her grandmother's gowns. No, I'm not making that shit up; I was going to hide it behind a spoiler, but then I realised the plot summary basically gives it away: 'Then it happens: somehow, magically, her whole life is transported back in time, into a living, breathing film noir that reveals to Clara the ...more
Ruth Ropper
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up because it sounded interesting and had links to old dresses which I like. I didn't know much about 'film noire' but again thought it sounded like an interesting read. I found it slow to start and the beginning didn't seem to reflect the description on the back. However when I got into the book it was fascinating. It moves between different time periods and styles of writing and twists and turns so that even by the end you are still asking questions. I suppose without giving ...more
Ira Phillips
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
i loved the beginning of this book as I could relate to Clara's character and wanted to see how she developed. I enjoyed the references to film noir, not an area I was very knowledgable on before, so I have come away having learnt something which is always a positive experience.

However, I struggled with how suddenly the book morphed into fantasy and found some of these aspects hard to assimilate. I did, at one point in the middle, nearly stop reading. That said, I'm glad I continued as overall I
Helena
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
At first I thought this was just going to be a ridiculous book and didn't think I would like it. I am happy to say that I was wrong. It did take me a few pages (close to 60 perhaps) to get into the story, but when I did I was hooked. I really liked the snappy film noir talk and plot turns. This story isn't trying to be serious. The author Kim Izzo seems to be having fun with a genre and I enjoyed that. Just as you would be with a movie of this genre, I was quite intrigued to see how it all playe ...more
Teresa
As a fan of The Jane Austen Marriage Manual, I had high expectations for Kim Izzo's foray into the realm of film noir. And she did not disappoint!

Kim Izzo's My Life in Black and White was a thoroughly enjoyable read. It was different, intelligent, and fun. I'm a huge fan of old movies and love a good gumshoe mystery. This book had all the right elements and kept me turning the pages into the early morning hours.

This book has everything, death, divorce, adultery, betrayal, mystery, and a good d
Silvia Gross
Jun 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was painfully boring for the first 100 plus pages and then only slightly better once magic unexplained time travel happened. The only thing I enjoyed was the discription of the clothes and even that was just okay. Maybe I not enough of a film noir fan and references are lost on me. The heroine went from being a boring cliche to a slightly more interesting cliche and the central plot went nowhere. Next time I want a dose of film noire I will rent a movie.
Mariam.394
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
it's a movie like novel; and not my type of movies..
I gave it two stars because the events were fast paced; you read it fast to see how the hell is it going to end !
the idea of going back in time was kid of funny
I didn't like the obsession about the grandmother ! it was too much; even for a fiction novel if that what it was
the scenarios were cheap; as if they were really taken from a 1950's movies
anyway; if you're out of novels, you can read it..
Karen
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
When Clara Bishop's husband tells her he is leaving her for another woman she is devastated. She decides to follow him to London to try to win him back, taking a suitcase of her late grandmother's clothes to avoid going back to her apartment. Several days after her arrival she wakes up to a black and white world in 1952. This book is a lot of fun as Clare becomes the femme fatale in a film noir. Clever and cute
Tiina
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very very engaging! I have to admit though that when I first started this book, the writing seemed sooooo detailed and soooo slowly moving that I was not sure I would be able to finish it. But this was only the first chapter, and it later was evident why this chapter had been written like that.

Wonderful idea, likeable main character. Enough description so I could get a picture of what was happening. I like it when a book makes me see it in pictures.
Lea S.
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kalaulah aku boleh berubah penampilan macam Clara kan bagus. I've always wanted to have red hair.

I thought it was a novel with normal story line. But I was happy it had some fantasy in it. The interrogation part with Sergeant Hoofer wasn't really necessary. I guess it's her way of adding pages to the book. It was boring. Although if this were to be a movie, I'd gladly watch it.
Jen Wong
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
You know when sometimes you just want to read something, but don't want to think about it? Like taking a break from reading, but still having a book on the go. Well this is it. It's not that it's badly written, but you don't have to concentrate on the plot. Or care if the Heroine gets slapped or not.
Mike'ala Gannon
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although a little slow in the beginning, once the plot hits you full force you won't be able to put it down! I never saw it coming and when it did, it engulfed me in a time and film genre I never knew I loved. The beginning of this book left me feeling downtrodden, but by the ending I have a new found confidence. Really liked this book.
Susan
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chick lit meets Film Noire - and throw in some great vintage clothes. The story also includes time travel to the fifties in foggy England. (It has to be foggy because of the movie reference!) The dialogue is fun. Clara, the screenwriter, describes a Hollywood agent thus - "he made Ari Gold on Entourage seem like a puppy lying on its back for a belly rub". A fun, summer read.
Heather
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book so much! It was something different - not your average chick lit or girly read.

I read through a couple of reviews and a lot of people are miffed by the lack of explanation as to how Clara found herself in a real life black and white film noir, but I don't think you need an explanation on HOW it happened when you get the WHY it happened.
Monica
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
THIS BOOK HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL BUT IT JUST DIDN'T DO IT FOR ME. IT'S FULL OF ONE LINER'S, THINGS HAPPEN TO FAST AND IT'S WHAT A BIG WHAT THE HECK. I REALLY WISH CLARA ENDED UP WITH DEAN STILL. THE BEGINNING WAS INVITING BUT I JUST THINK IT THE WHOLE IDEA/PLOT COULD HAVE BEEN EXECUTED A LOT DIFFERENTLY.
Shawntracey Hollingworth
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's easy to read, fast paced, grammatically well written with some funny/silly bits. I really enjoyed the characters, the plot and the whole film noir vibe. A divergence from my normal tastes but a thoroughly enjoyable one. Read it in just three sittings.
So much more potential that was never fully realized ! I do however appreciate the screw ball humour, the slapping and of course the film noir references, which made for a lively if not totally fulfilling read.
Angel Serrano
No es mi tipo de libro, porque los cambios de color y tiempo no son creíbles, y la parte de novela negra está muy forzada. El final es previsible. Lo positivo es la caracterización de los personajes secundarios (la camarera, el taxista,...).
Darby
Strange...very strange...
Debra
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy-read
Check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Meagan
Apr 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really disappointing. I thought that it would be interesting. It sounded like a good idea. But the dialogue and plot are written really poorly.
Megan
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Awesome!!! A truly wonderful story!!!
Nat
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
A fun book for a classic movie buff like me. A fun story of a women going on a journey of self-discovery after a break-up. Well-written for what it is (fun).
Ginger
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Leger, frais et dynamique; une belle lecture sans prise de tête
Laura Pineau
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light and fun. A good rainy day read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Woman on Top
  • Schooled in Revenge
  • Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2)
  • A Moment Comes
  • The Christmas Angel
  • The Hole In The Middle
  • Not Quite the Classics
  • Uncorked (Uncorked, #1)
  • House of Wonder
  • A Nation Worth Ranting About
  • The Consequences (The Affair, #2)
  • The Trouble with Valentine's
  • The City of Strangers (Stefan Gillespie, #2)
  • Spin Doctor
  • Finding Out
  • On Grace
  • You, Me and Other People
  • Power Play
Kim Izzo is an author, screenwriter and journalist. She is the 2016 winner of the prestigious HUMANITAS Prize: New Voices and the 2016 Telefilm Canada New Voices Award. Izzo is the author of two romantic comedy novels, the best-selling The Jane Austen Marriage Manual, which has been optioned for film, and My Life in Black and White. She is also the co-author of two etiquette books, the internation ...more
More about Kim Izzo

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things