Start by marking “The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo (Love at Stake, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo (Love at Stake, #14)

The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo (Love at Stake #14)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  5,167 Ratings  ·  403 Reviews
He's Out of Control

Dougal Kincaid has something to prove. After being injured in a battle with the Malcontents, he's ready for active duty protecting unsuspecting mortals from these villainous vampires who want to rule the world. But first he has to get control of himself . . . because just the sight of a certain lovely doctor has his injured hand doing some peculiar thing
Mass Market Paperback, 369 pages
Published August 27th 2013 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

4 'love me some vampires in kilts' stars!

This 14th installment in the Love at Stake series has all the things Kerrelyn Sparks fans have come to expect; humor, romance, passion, and a great story of the continued battle between our beloved Vampires and the Malcontents.

Description…
He's Out of Control

Gossamerblu
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Just finished Kerrelyn Sparks' Vampire with the Dragon Tattoo. Where to start from? The cover? Epic fail no. 1. Dougal Kincaid's right hand is a metal one. Publishers are too cheap to respect even that, so the guy on the cover has two normal hands. Yay! Not. One cool metal hand would do a lot for his appearance and make the cover appropriate.
The book itself: the first part, light and funny and promising, the romance lifts off, then troubles in vampire world cook up.
Second part - so many charac
Yodamom
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio

Yes, I was saying that a lot. This chapter in the series had so many sacrifices so many sorrows. There was a HEA so no worries. Read this to watch Scottish Dougal find his happiness.
Fanny
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it

The Vampire With The Dragon Tattoo es el decimocuarto libro de la saga Love At Stake de Kerrelyn Sparks y narra la historia de Dougal y Leah.

Hacia bastante tiempo ( mas de dos años ) que habia leido el libro anterior por lo que los primeros capitulos me resultaron un poco confusos pero segun fui avanzando con la lectura fui recordando los detalles de la historia.

Obviamente cada persona tiene un gusto diferente y por eso pienso que no todo el mundo disfrutaria de igual forma esta novela pero lo c
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Kitty‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Review copy provided for an honest review

5 STARS

I will never tire of the Draganesti’s and their merry band of vampires and shape-shifters. It was wonderful to be back at Romatech and to visit with all of our old friends. And, Dougal, poor, sad Dougal finally gets his HEA and we learn all about him and his past. What an interesting past he had. Did you know he had a Dragon Tattoo? I didn’t! And, wait till you hear the story behind it – so touc
Beth
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo was a fabulous addition to the Love at Stake Series.

Dougal Kincaid has just been reassigned to Romatech as head of security. It seems after a few years of recouping from the loss of his hand in battle he is ready to turn in his responsibilities as Jean Luc’s family’s personal body guard and return to full service.

Just when he thinks everything might be taking a turn for the better, Dr. Leah Chin is brought into the vampire world. Dougal believes Leah is his re
P.A. Lupton
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I loved this story. I wasn’t too fond of the last Love at Stake book, but maybe that was just personal—I do tend to prefer vampires over shifters. The Vampire with the Dragon Tattoo was awesome. It reminded me why I love the Love at Stake series.

The book had everything I could want in a paranormal romance. It has humor, romance, and just the right amount of spice. I loved the budding relationship between Dougal and Leah. It’s a sweet attraction and has a bit of a twist with the reincarnation as
kookyquinn
So my rating is probably petty but dang it I just couldn't get over one thing and it pretty much bugged me so much the book sucked. I'd bet 99% of readers wouldn't care so don't take my review as a reason to not read it.

Dougal has been waiting 300 years for his lost love to be reincarnated right? So does that mean he's been celibate? There was literally nothing about his personal life in any of the books before this one or during it. I wouldn't have cared either way but some details IMO are nece
Tonia Metz
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kerrely Sparks does it again. From the first book (How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire) I read of hers she had me hooked!
I hated to get to the last page. I want more!
In this book we finally see Dougal Kincaid find his true love. After 300 years and the last few years he sees all his friends happily married with children. Dougal thinks he would never find love again. Loosing is hand in a battle has changed him and they way people look at him. Mad at everyone he is happy to just go about being a g
Svenja
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-sterne
Das war mal wieder ein Buch der Reihe, das mich komplett überzeugt hatte (bisher wurden alle Bücher von mir mit 4-5 Sternen bewertet, also ist die Reihe trotzdem fast perfekt :D).

Dr. Leah Chin und Dougal sind natürlich zuckersüß zusammen! Die Geschichte von Dougal fand ich super!

Die Geschichte um den neuen Bösewicht fand ich sehr gut gemacht. Etwas mystisch, brutal und natürlich fantasievoll.

Wer die Reihe kennt, wird jetzt nicht unbedingt die große Überraschung erleben, aber es ist nun mal gen
Louisa
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was a great book! Really enjoyed Dougal and Leah, they were a great couple, and I loved their story, with reincarnation, and Dougal with his prosthetic!
S. Rutherford
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire-romance
I normally find myself a strong, opinionated person when it comes to reviews on something (yes, me!), and I normally hope my opinions don't upset the actual writer of the story I'm reviewing (unless, of course, that idiot deserves it, by which I'm then telling them to take notes). Now in saying this, I must also clarify that even if there is a story that I did not like, within a series by an author that I admire, I'll still review honestly while still staying true to that author.

That aside...

Ker
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dougal Kincaid has spent more than three hundred years regretting the moment he is unable to save the love of his life. He has come to a point when it is not the first or the last thing he thinks of in a day. Still, after all the years he can never forget. The new doctor brings all the memories rushing back before he is ever in her presence. From the very beginning, he knows he has his second chance, and he is determined this time she will be safe. Leah Chin struggles to accept the fact her scie ...more
Ren
3,5 stars

What can I say? Tortured hero is one of my weakness, and Dougal is soooo tortured and full of melancholy, I want to hug him, lol! Also, while he has "I'm not worthy of you" and "I'm not worthy of second chance", and again "I keep failing to protect her" vibes, which is a type of hero that sometimes I despised, Dougal won my heart in the end. See, he full of sadness, stoic, and "woe is me", yet, he's so romantic to his lady love Leah. His antique and medieval attitude without so much bor
Moondance
Dougal Kincaid was not in a partying mood.

Dougal lost his hand in battle four books ago in Vampire Mine. He now has a prosthetic hand that he controls with his mind. He is trying to get back into field work when a new doctor is brought to Romatech. Dr Leah Chin is an expert in DNA research and her expertise is needed to create a vaccine to reprogram soldiers. Master Han, an evil vampire, has conspired with a demon to create unbeatable soldiers. Roman and the others fear that this will bring on a
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ah, Dougal. A sexy three hundred year old Scottish warrior-vampire with a heart that is loyal and true. When he was still human, and a slave in China, Dougal fell in love with a woman only to lose her to death. For three hundred years he has loved her and missed her, until Dr. Leah Chin arrives at Romatech and he sees his lost love in Leah. The fact that Leah also feels inexplicably aware of and drawn to Dougal creates an instant connection between them and pretty soon a sweet and sexy romance h ...more
Michelle
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Be still my beating heart, but I totally could dig a man in a kilt! Especially if he has that accent that I'd probably constantly be asking 'what?'

As others have stated, this is pretty much the series' standard. The author always throws in comedy throughout the story. We also get to visit with some characters from the past- I always like visiting older characters.

I do have to wonder how much longer the series can go on- who else is there who needs to hook up? Maybe Rajiv? JL? Russell?

Anyways, I
Eugenie
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dear Leah,

I know I frighten you, but I pray you will give me a chance. I know my chance is small, for you are so clever and beautiful. How could I ever be worthy of you?
You are a treasure to behold, a sweet melody to my ears.
You shine light into my dark nights and bring warmth to my cold heart.
You fill me with hope that all things are possible, even an eternity of love.
Dougal
I
Debra Taylor
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books in the Love at Stake series.

The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo is Dougal's story. It has quite a few lol moments & I felt it was Kerrelyn Sparks at her finest. I laughed. I cried. Mostly I was smiling the entire way through. In the end it was a beautiful story about a love that could transcend time. A story about sacrifice that put a tear in my eye. Sparks played the ending out perfectly, giving me some incredibly touching scenes that I enjoyed immensely.

A very satisf
JM ♔ Pipsqueak
Want it!!
C Joy
It's been years since I last read the 13th book in the series and I missed this gang! I have to admit I vaguely remember some of the characters but I still enjoyed this one.
Megan
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-romance
Vilia
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Backchatting Books

I can’t believe we are up to #14 now in this series. We head off to Asia in this instalment which combined with a bit of reincarnation, introduced a freshness that was desperately needed to compensate for the lack of Malcontent fighting. Our vamps are worried about killing the demon Darafer’s human army. They hire Dr Leah Chin, a genius geneticist to help them remove Darafer’s influence. When Dougal Kincaid, head of security, sees her he feels and immediate connecti
Gaele
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: avon, edelweiss
I just couldn’t resist this title, even though I haven’t read the other books in this series (and there are 13 of them), and did not feel lost or confused about the story at all. Kerrelyn Sparks managed to include enough background information to make the story make sense, even as this is a story about Dougal. Swoon-worthy Dougal: the vampire with a large tattoo of a dragon on his chest for a constant reminder of a lost love.

Dougal is a Scotsman: a kilted, pipe playing, touch of the brogue Scot
Stephanie
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Original Post:

This is the 14th entry in Kerrylyn Sparks' popular Love at Stake series. I have not read every book in the series; I can't recall why exactly, but they felt funny, way out there, were mixed up between weird scenarios like harems and such. In VAMPIRE WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO the phrase "Heavenly Father" is much used as the angels in the book have to come from somewhere.

The title refers to a large tattoo of a dragon Dougal wears in his torso. It
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Returning back to the world of bleer and blissky, this one intrigued me because of the Chinese element. Leah Chin is a geneticist specialist brought into the world of paranormal. She's here to solve the mystery of the humans with vampire strength. How is this happening? Apparently, a demon is responsible. From the land of science and logic, Leah is thrown into a chaotic world of vampires, were-animals, angels & demons. Oh my!

Leah doesn't take it so well. Yet she does find herself attracted t
Megan
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
There were things that I loved and then there were things that I hated about this book.

Leah is a scientist that specializes in genetics which is just what the vamps need. So she is brought in as a consultant to help them. Thats how Dougal meets her. He thinks she has the soul of he long lost love. This is one thing I have a problem with. Does he pursue her because of her lost love or does he pursue her because of her own personality? I understand that later on Dougal falls in love with Leah and
Lisa Annesley
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lynsay Sands and Molly Harper
Shelves: kindle, pnr, vampire, human
A Damaged Vampire

Vampire Dougal Kincaid lost his hand in battle. Since then, he's been fitted with a mind-controlled prosthesis. He's spent years gaining control of his new hand, trying to get back to active security duty. He finally reaches his goal, only to lose control of his hand at the sight of—

Dr. Leah Chin, a human, is brought to the vampires' research facility because of her expertise in genetics. But when she learns that vampires are real, she freaks out. Until she catches sight of—

Doug
Stephanie  G
Leah believes in science, not supernatural things like vampires and shifters but she must face the truth that these creatures exist when she's brought into help find a cure for demonically enhanced humans. She's received by warm, understanding vampires and one tempting Scotsman that makes her want to throw caution to the wind and give in to the growing attraction her heart refuses to ignore.

Leah and Dougal are a typical pairing for this series. Leah, a human with emotional baggage that's at firs
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Narrator to Audiobook 2 16 Nov 13, 2013 02:47PM
  • One Lucky Vampire (Argeneau, #19)
  • Sugarplums and Scandal  (Love at Stake #2.5; Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #22.5)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • Wicked Edge (Castle of Dark Dreams, #5)
  • Must Love Lycans  (Broken Heart, #8)
  • Hunger Awakened (Vampire Hunger #2)
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Deadly Angels, #6)
  • Eternal Demon (Mark of the Vampire, #5)
  • Darkness Rises (Immortal Guardians, #4)
  • A Tale of Two Vampires (Dark Ones, #10)
  • Love Your Entity (Entity, #3)
  • Vampire King of New York
  • Protecting His Princess
Kerrelyn Sparks apparently has issues with reality. After writing more than a dozen books about vampires, she has now completely gone off the deep end and wound up on another planet. But how thrilling that she can share this magical new world with her readers! Although she is best known (so far) for the Love at Stake series, which has hit as high as number 5 on the New York Times list and 22 on th ...more
More about Kerrelyn Sparks

Love at Stake (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
  • Vamps and the City (Love at Stake, #2)
  • Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, #3)
  • The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake, #4)
  • All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire (Love at Stake, #5)
  • Secret Life of a Vampire (Love at Stake, #6)
  • Forbidden Nights with a Vampire (Love at Stake, #7)
  • The Vampire and the Virgin (Love at Stake, #8)
  • Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9)
  • Vampire Mine (Love at Stake, #10)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It had replayed in her mind, over and over, growing in importance till it seemed her whole life could be slotted into two categories. Life before the kiss, and life after the kiss. Her life before the kiss had moved step by step ever closer to the predestined event. Meeting Dougal. And kissing him.” 4 likes
“As long as mortals choose to do evil, then evil will triumph. And Lucifer will laugh when people blame it on the Heavenly Father. But even with all the suffering in the world, the Heavenly Father will not take away your free will. He wants you to choose good or evil. He will not force us to choose good” 1 likes