Start by marking “The Art of Communicating” as Want to Read:
The Art of Communicating

The Art of Communicating

Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh, bestselling author of Peace is Every Step and one of the most respected and celebrated religious leaders in the world, delivers a powerful path to happiness through mastering life's most important skill.

How do we say what we mean in a way that the other person can really hear?

How can we listen with compassion and understanding?

Communication fuel
Published August 13th 2013 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Communicating, please sign up.
JacekIdec Listen to everything. Don't see it as Guidelines. See it more as seeds for the mind. Of course you should follow your path, but the thing is you shoul…moreListen to everything. Don't see it as Guidelines. See it more as seeds for the mind. Of course you should follow your path, but the thing is you shouldn't only listen to "words". Listen to what the person does, moves, feels. Listen to their problems so you can realize yours are similar to theirs.
You can pull a tonload of wisdom by learning from people, but try to never learn from "empty words" whose meanings could eventually differ in individuals. For example never listen to "wisdom" of the spoken word "love" because you don't know what this person connects with this word.
Instead look at your mother, look at the bee eating the nectar, "see" what love means, and eventually you will connect it with your own experiences.(less)

Start your review of The Art of Communicating
Tony Rogers  Jr.
Although I probably won't read this book in its entirety again, I did find value in it. The first few chapters drilled home the idea that I need to communicate ( write, speak, listen) to others out of complete compassion and understanding. It also taught that when I communicate the ultimate goal is to cause the receiver of my communication to experience less suffering, which to me, is a brilliant way of filtering all my communication with others from here on out.

I particularly liked these statem
Lauren
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one I'll read again and again: developing, growing, and practicing. A beautiful book on conflict resolution, sharing love and compassion, and learning to ask for help.

I especially enjoyed the six mantras:
- I am here for you.
- I know you are there, and I am very happy.
- I know you suffer, and that's why I am here for you.
- I suffer. Please help.
- This is a happy moment.
- You are partly right.
Hákon Gunnarsson
This is the first book by Thich Nhat Hanh that I read, and I think it is interesting. It is, as one might guess from the title, about the way we communicate with others, and what he has to say about it makes a lot of sense.

A man that is very hostile in the way he speaks to others is likely to get the same in return, and vice versa. I think the author is right that we really should try to communicate positively rather than negatively. Call me a tree hugger if you want, but I think we might actua
Vaishali
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books I've read. How powerful karma is! Our every thought --each one -- is forever released as craft or ruin into the universe. Forever! Repairable, but non-retractable.

Notes :
———————————————

“Toxic conversation can be difficult to avoid, especially at work… You have to have enough mindful awareness not to absorb all these kinds of suffering. You have to protect yourself with the energies of compassion so that when you listen, instead of consuming toxins, you're activel
Diana Bogan
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
For myself I thought the book was ok. I was hoping for greater insight, hoping to go somehow deeper than what the book offered. I found that a lot of what was mentioned in the book aligns with the way in which I already try to communicate, therefore in terms of finding ways for myself to become more skillful I didn't feel I necessarily got what I went looking for, however, instead I did find a few things I wasn't expecting.

My unexpected finds included how plainly the book is written, making it a
Katrina Sark
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
p.4-5 – The energy of mindfulness is a necessary ingredient in healthy communication. Mindfulness requires letting go of judgment, returning to an awareness of the breath and the body, and bringing your full attention to what is in you and around you. This helps you notice whether the thought you just produced is healthy or unhealthy, compassionate or unkind.

p.5 – You absorb the thoughts, speech, and actions you produce and those contained in the communications of those around you. That is a fo
Lexy
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was informational
Pixi Jo
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Honestly I think books like this, if not this book as is, should be required reading in school.
Sure Shakespeare is dandy and all that, but this book is USEFUL!

You'd think that how to talk to someone else would be as obvious as how to use the loo, but just like folk can still pee all over the floor, so too can we really truly mess up communicating our views and actually LISTENING TO and UNDERSTANDING other people, even those who's views veer far off from what we believe or have an opinion on, so
Yesenia Cash
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lotus for you, a Buddha to be...
ANNEstories
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: minimalism
This book reminds me of Richard Carlson’s Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff. A lot of compassionate communication and mindful awareness of yourself and the people around you to create a harmonious way of life.

The art of deep listening of your thoughts and understanding your own suffering in the pursuit of Happiness. Because when you understand your suffering, you suffer less. And Suffering is needed to grow Happiness. They always go together. The Yin and the Yang.

That it takes a lot of maturity to j
Sarai
This was very insightful. It’s written using simple language, with examples thrown in, so that the reader absorbs it quickly. At first I thought the advice and methods were too simple, but when I thought of actually putting it into practice I realized how difficult it would be to follow the steps. It only sounds simple—practicing the methods in real life is difficult, and would take time and patience. I learned a lot from Hanh about healing through communication, loving speech and the idea of le ...more
Katie
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a short, simple, spiritually-sound book based on mindfulness, breath, intention, communication, and compassion. I've read several books on Buddhist philosophy (though these concepts apply to all faiths because they are based on love,) and I always find myself referring to their wisdom.

Thich Nhat Hanh thinks directly. He repeats ideas, sometimes, which I find helpful because he reinforces his teachings. He will say, for example, "go to your in-and-out breath, then say..." many times to e
Antoinette Perez
I read this book before going to sleep each night, and was filled with a sense of both desire to do better and peace, every single night. It was great. This is not a one-time read, but a reference guide I'll come back to, over and over again. ...more
Sabrinac
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am the byproduct of a violent upbringing. I really struggle to use language that is kind and inviting. I want to go to war with everyone because for me, life has been a series of battles. This is unfortunate because most of the time people are not trying to go to war with me. I end up hurting people and in turn finding people to hurt me so this can go on forever. And I’m done with it. It’s really powerful to just learn to exist in your feelings. The Art of Communicating is perfect for someone ...more
Dharanyachellapandian
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I began reading this by chance. I did not have much expections once I grabbed it. I was wondering what would be its
contents. But I just wanna give a try.

OMG!!
This book made a lasting impact in my life. He helped me reenter my past experiences where actually my communication broke some relationship in my life.
After reading this, I started "Begining anew" the relations I had earlier with new Josh and new me.

I have become mindful in my communication now.

Hope this helps!!! 😊
Ying Ying
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As with Thich Nhat Hanh's other books, reading "The Art of Communicating" feels like meditating. This book is a guide to deep listening and loving speech. ...more
Gwendolyn Fae
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i was thinking that i am not as good at listening as i once thought i was. that though i am a writer and live inside of words and yet i a do not communicate as clearly as i once thought i did. there are so many misunderstandings and wrong perceptions in my relationships. my loved ones have been feeling unheard. and i have been feeling deeply misunderstood. if this sounds at all familiar, yes this book.

it is all about mindfulness. i love the idea of coming home that is brought up and circled back
Nadine Jones
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemplation

I feel like mindfulness is that golden ring on the carousel of life, and I can never quite reach it. Sometimes I'm not even sure if I want to reach it! But most of the time I'm sure that practicing mindfulness will enhance my life. I'm not very good at it. I'm full of judgment, and I can't really sit still without my mind leaping
Surya
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Few lines from the book made me feel so guilty about how I have spoken on certain instances. As we grow up, getting negative feedback on one's character is extremely rare and difficult. In few instances when people come up to tell any constructive feedback, they are so gentle to make doubly sure that the rapport between us doesn’t turn sour. Those constructive feedbacks from our loved ones may not hit us hard. That is why self-help books come handy. Personally, this book clearly pointed out why ...more
Ahmed Faiq
" The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers."

A great elaboration about communication in the Buddhist doctrine, when it means a lot more than simple communication with others, but the connection with the world, connection with our mind and soul, through mindfulness and concentrated breathing, and the way we can better enjoy our life if we could boost this communication. Great teacher, great words....
Markus Molina
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Some good and valuable information for people, but if I’m being honest I just didn’t completely vibe with some of the advice even if I believed it. I suppose in just the way it’s presented it doesn’t lead me to believe it’s all completely realistic, maybe it’s just stated so plainly. Mantras and advice that seems difficult to remember or practice, or for the present moment, just seems like stuff I don’t want or need to practice. Obviously very good wisdom and practices, but it did not click for ...more
Barry
Dear Thich Nhat Hanh,
• When you refer to scientific facts you need to provide citations
• Your content was extremely basic
• You definitely provided good reminders
• The audiobook narrator you chose was extremely boring
• Too many archaic suggestions to the stresses of modern life. Overall the book would be more useful for someone living hundreds of years ago
Robin Tobin (On the back porch reading)
Truly a wise teacher. Thich Nhat Hanh's wisdom will be relevant for many generations to come. PopSugar 2020 - World Leader ...more
Lakhan
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
First time trying an Audiobook and this was lovely. I expect to use the wisdom from here about suffering/happiness, whilst being more mindful with life in general and my communication.
Shiva
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
We have been sinking in the western culture and line of thoughts so much that we sometimes forget how people act or behave out of our little box. I loved the cultural elements the writer brought to this book and the Buddhism analogy for a more effective presence. Worths a read!
Judith Marco Iscla
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
I really think the world would be a better place if everybody read all the books written by Thich Nhat Hanh
Anna Mosca
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It did add new insight to my knowledge and if we, the people, will read it (over and over if needed) and practice it’s content life on earth will be easier for everyone.
David
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Thich Nhat Hanh has written an excellent guide to understanding and practicing what he has dubbed The Art of Communicating. We all benefit from his effort, and I am grateful for the chance to give this a read.

The book begins by discussing the concept of absorbing thoughts, speech, and actions we produce ourselves in addition to karmic actions contained in the communications of those around us. Hanh moves on to address ways to effectively and honestly communicating with ourselves and others. His
Matt Hutson
Jan 13, 2021 rated it liked it
This was an interesting find, I wanted a good book about communication and what I ended up getting was a good book about relationships, which of course, require good communication.

In my opinion it was a bit heavy on the whole relationship side, which could be applied to other areas of life, but I would say mainly this book is good for improving intimate relationships.

It's worthy if that's what you were looking for.
Catherine
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When the energy of compassion is born, right away we suffer less. When we suffer less, when we have compassion for ourselves, we can more easily understand the suffering of another person and of the world. Then our communication with others will be based on the desire to understand rather than the desire to prove ourselves right or make ourselves feel better." (31)

I would call The Art of Communicating an intermediate guide to mindful communication. A basic knowledge of meditation/mindfulness p
DATC Book Club: Communication/Listening 1 10 Oct 22, 2014 03:16PM

• The Neuropsychology of Self-Discipline: The Master Key to Success
  • How to Prosper in Hard Times: Blueprints for Abundance by the Greatest Motivational Teachers of All Time
  • The Psychology of Self-Esteem
  • The Secret Door to Success
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrow's Success
  • Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others
  • How to Instantly Connect with Anyone: 96 All-New Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • Minimalism: The Japanese Art of Declutter to Organize Your Home Life