Start by marking “Eat, Brains, Love” as Want to Read:
Eat, Brains, Love

Eat, Brains, Love

(Eat, Brains, Love #1)

Two teenage zombies search for brains, love, and answers in this surprisingly romantic and laugh-out-loud funny debut novel with guts.

Published October 1st 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Eat, Brains, Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat, Brains, Love

Ashley Daviau
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has been on my TBR list for ages and after finishing it, I’m left with one main thought. Why did it take me so long to read it?! This book is the definition of a fun, quick and brainless read and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It is by no means a great literary work but it’s a funny, unique take on the zombie apocalypse and I’m always a fan of anything involving zombies. And while it’s definitely very “young”, it is quite a pleasant read nonetheless.

My favourite part of this book was defini
Melanie
This was an OK story about zombies. It wasn't as great as I expected it to be.

Eat, Brains, Love is told from 2 alternating POVs, Jake and Cass's. Jake is a recently turned zombie along with Amanda when they eat pretty much all of their classmates during school the two now turned fugitives venture across America to find a cure to their Zombieness, all while being pursued by a Cass (a psychic) and the a part of the government trying to kill them.

Don't expect the zombies to look anything like this
Jon
Jun 21, 2013 marked it as dnf
Shelves: zombies-brains
I thought Eat, Brains, Love was going to be the perfect book for me. I love the gruesome cover and how it looks like a parody of Eat, Pray, Love. The description also was alluring to me with it's promises of being a "laugh-out loud funny debut" and the comparison to
Warm Bodies.

The thing is Warm Bodies is a deep, moving novel filled with themes about what it means to be human. I only read 10% of Eat, Brains, Love about what I read was enough to convince me that it was nothing like Warm Bodies.
Trisha
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
a funny, quirky, not-too-gross zombie story!

First we have Cass. She's been recruited straight from highschool to work for the government and help track down and stop zombies. They are dangerous creatures that she's hoping to keep from the general public. To keep the people ignorant and safe.

Then we have Jake. He just stumbles into school one day with a really grumbly stomach and a serious worry about school work and whether or not he will get some serious xbox time tonight!

But, somewhere in the
Dark Faerie Tales
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Snarky YA Paranormal filled with humor, interesting characters, and a weirdly sweet romance.

Opening Sentence: FIRST SEMESTER OF MY SENIOR YEAR, THE GUIDANCE counselor at Ronald Reagan High School gave all us new seniors this lame career-aptitude test.

The Review:

Jake Stephens is your average teenage boy. He likes to play video games and hang out with his friends. He’s not really the popular type so he dates but not anyone like Amanda Blake.
Isamlq
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-galley
I got a kick out of what kind of boy Jake is in this one. He read like a dog… and I don’t mean the douche baggy type either, but more like the easily distracted dog-mind as in is that a bouncy bunny that I see? I also got a kick out of how inappropriate he could be and how honestly lazy he was. He took nothing seriously! And it was funny; he was funny (most of the time) when it/he wasn’t too annoying. Then there’s the girl who while lacking in the personality that Jake possessed was a little int ...more
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a gory, funny and delightful read (:
Eat Brains Love is a gut wrenching zombie novel. Literally.

This book starts off with three main characters:
Our main male Jake is a high school loser. He spends most of his time getting high or playing video games.
Amanda, who is the queen bee of the high school with her blonde hair, great body and jock boyfriend.She is the popular girl and a cheerleader, who pays no attention to Jake.
And then we have Cass, the teen psychic who was hired by the government
Wendy Darling
Occasionally very funny, but the parts narrated by the psychic weren't nearly as entertaining. Also somehow feels a little young and...bubbly? But for the references to the characters having sex, the tone is almost middle grade- ish. I'd love to read something else by this author down the road, though--I enjoyed all the bitey-ness and humor, even if it somehow felt uneven.

Short review to come.
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Reviewed originally @Blood,Sweat and Books

Eat, Brains, Love mainly revolves around three characters Jake, Amanda and Cass. Cassandra is a teenage psychic who works for the Government hunting Zombies. After slaughtering dozens of their classmates Jake and Amanda are her prime directive. Jake and Amanda are zombies on the run. After killing and consuming dozens of their classmates they must leave behind the only life they've ever known and eat their way across America in the hopes they make it to
Kadbury
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Can't decide between 3.5 and 4

Enjoyed the story a LOT though ;)

I knew I wanted to read this book as soon as I read the blurb.I had been looking for a light and fun read and the blurb really called to me. Eat, Brains, Love is a book that doesn't have a lot of hype surrounding it and I find it a little surprising but I guess that might be because it's written by a debut author.

Eat, Brains,Love deals with ..... you guessed it ZOMBIES and Zombie hunters! This is not like your typical zombie movie
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
I'm glad that the author decided to start with Jake's pov because that is what got me interested in the story. I liked how relatable Jake was in the first chapter. His life is similar to teens before he turns into a zombie. I also thought that Jake's thoughts are very interesting. He doesn't think about the things that high school students consider normal or popular. In that way, he is quite unique which makes him a very interesting character to get to know and hear about in the book.

There was
S.A.
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Why am I reading so much YA? I still think I'm trying to understand the genre. I'll be honest here— I grabbed this book from the library due to the hilarious cover. Ah, freshly-made zombie teenagers eat their friends during lunch then feel bad about enjoying that leg o' friend? Sounds cool to me!

To me, this strange book isn't the usual YA. Eat Brains Love is part annoying, part gory, part intriguing, part trite, part funny, part snarky... this is a book of many parts, plenty of them bloody or tw
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it

Jake and Amanda go to the same high school. Jake awoke this morning feeling sick. Maybe it was the book report that he had to turn in or maybe it was because he has turned into a zombie and just devoured half of his friends and classmates. Jake awakes to find Amanda by his side. Amanda has also turned into a zombie. Now they are on the run form the government.

One of the references this book is compared to is Warm Bodies by Issac Marion. I read Warm Bodies and loved that book. So I can rightfully
Shannon
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jenna
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was an o.k read I expected more from this book but I felt disappointed.
Jack has just turned into a Zombie, he lost his mind for a little while in a frenzy of hunger and found out he ate a lot of schoolmates. As it turns out hot girl Amanda has the same problem. Together they flight the scene of crime.

Jack has a very nice voice, he funny and nerdy. Amanda is nice bitch.

The second point off view is Cass she is a government psychic that haunts zombies so the government can do a cover up. I di
William
Mar 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Eat Brains Love by Jeff Hart was an OK book. This book had a very stupid relationship between the main characters, But the story was interesting enough without it. The book takes place in eastern America. The point of view switches between a psychic girl named Cass, a zombie named Jake, and another named Amanda. Jake and Amanda are the people in the stupid relationship previously mentioned. The main conflict in the book is that Jake and Amanda are running from a secret government organization th ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Apr 08, 2014 marked it as oh-hell-no
This was a product of James Frey and his shitty Full Fathom Five, instant boycott!

Boycott Full Fathom Five

Fiction Factory

Here is a Goodreads list of all his crap
Linnea Broman
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was actually a lot better than I thought it would be considering the main characters all to be teenagers with a shit mainstream description of their personality. it's unusual to follow both the "evil" and the "good" ones. however I'm not sure who's to classify as which. This is not just a zombie book, it's more of a comedy in my Pont view which I liked.
Mary Brebner
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Wanted this to be funnier, faster-paced than it was. Key lesson: avoid cafeteria food at all costs (check!). Lots of gore, one-liners from Jake.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Decent, but flawed by wooden characters and a few needless minor plotlines.

Review to come on the blog.
Valeria Navarro (Valesbookshelf)
Meh.... It was not horrible but..... Not amazing either
Heather
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jake Stephens was always an average, fly-under-the-radar guy. The kind of guy who would never catch the attention of an insanely popular girl like Amanda Blake-or a psychic teenage government agent like Cass. But one day during lunch, Jake's whole life changed. He and Amanda suddenly locked eyes across the cafeteria, and at the exact same instant, they turned into zombies and devoured half their senior class.
Now Jake definitely has Amanda's attention-as well as Cass's, since she's been sent on a
Jodi
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I promised myself I was going to get back to reading. Every time I opened a book, I would get twenty or so pages in, and anxiety would set in. Am I reading the right book? Should I be reading something to do with bettering my career? How about something self help related, Ways To Deal With Uncontrollable Anxiety for instance? So yesterday, out of complete frustration, I grabbed a book of my shelf and set a timer for 20 minutes. I read the entire book in 24 hours. That was this book. It was so fu ...more
Saleena Davidson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Eat, Brains, Love seemed like a fun and interesting zombie story. And it was. It was interesting with the idea of the zombie virus being a sort of STD, and that the government had it completely under wraps and hidden; as well as the fact that if a zombie ate, it reverted back to it's human state....so thinking and reasoning were possible....it is only a hungry shambling mess when it's starving. It was a bit unexpected that the government agent was a teenaged girl with psychic powers and that she ...more
Jay
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
Fuck this book for ending on a cliffhanger. I have no problem with a book that sets up its own sequel or leaves some plot lines unsolved for the sake of the second book, but this book essentially just stops in the middle of the story. It's such a turnoff because it basically means the author didn't have enough faith in his story to believe that people would continue reading without a cliffhanger. For me, it just guarantees that I won't continue reading because I can never be assured of an ending ...more
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I gave this zombie book four stars because the zombies are different than the "normal" zombies that you read about or watch on TV. I like Jake and it is interesting to see through his "zombie eyes" lol. I also like the psychic girl named Cass. Both characters bring different perspectives to this book.
If you're looking for a YA zombie book that is different than what you're used to, then give this YA book a try. Also there is a sequel called Undead With Benefits that I am about to read to see how
Stephanie Norris
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so fun, I enjoyed it so much!
It was only near the end that I became more invested in the whole psychic story-line, but I much preferred the zombies. The psychic bits were interesting, but my brain had a hard time imagining psychics and zombies in the same world at the same time? They just seem like they should be elements of their own stories, but it was an interesting mix here. Definitely think I'll be picking up the sequel when I get the chance!
Ken-G-kun
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sophia
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read! Regrettably it took me some time, but it was just brilliant! I loved how it had three main characters and with each chapter it was between two of the characters Jake and Cass. I’ve not really read a zombie book before so this was new but again it was fun and really such a different take on zombies but I loved it and will be starting the next book tomorrow.
Rachelle
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a YA book it kept my attention :) Definitely some funny and emotional chapters. Will be looking into sequals.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Zombie book with Title Made From Food. [s] 7 25 Nov 13, 2018 03:30PM

• The Nightworld
  • Sick
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • Donna of the Dead
  • The Seven Swords (Otherworld Chronicles, #2)
  • A Stranger Thing (Ever-Expanding Universe, #2)
  • The Infects
  • Tooth & Nail (Rot & Ruin, #3.5)
  • Everything Breaks
  • The Paradox of Vertical Flight
  • Road Trip of the Living Dead (Amanda Feral, #2)
  • Man Made Boy (Man Made Boy #1)
  • Origins (The Grimm Cases, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • Arcadium (Arcadium, #1)
  • Plague Nation (Ashley Parker, #2)

Eat, Brains, Love (2 books)
  • Undead with Benefits