Start by marking “Thores-Cross” as Want to Read:
Thores-Cross

Thores-Cross

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  922 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
A haunting novel set in the North Yorkshire Moors about isolation, superstition and persecution. Thores-Cross follows the stories of Emma, a present day writer, and Jennet, an eighteenth century witch.

#1 Bestseller British Horror on Amazon.com

Emma Moorcroft is still grieving after a late miscarriage and moves to her dream house at Thruscross Reservoir with her husband, Dav
Published June 1st 2013 by LionheART Publishing house (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thores-Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thores-Cross

Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThores-Cross by Karen PerkinsThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettPossession by A.S. Byatt
Yorkshire
104 books — 74 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Best Woman-Authored Books
5,733 books — 3,875 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really am surprised at all the 5 star reviews of this book. I can understand how people may have enjoyed the story, but 5 star? Really? 5 star is surely for the best, if not of all literature then at least of the genre, you can't get any better. Was this book the best, the pinnacle of the genre?
The plot-line, which had attracted me to the the book in the first place, was good, although it became somewhat predictable. I felt the real problem was in the writing. The parts set in the present I f
Loretta
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just as I finished this gripping and at times terrifying tale, I heard the bells ringing in the Priory here in Malvern. Was Jennet's ghost come to haunt me now? I don't think I slept well that night!

This is a great piece of writing. Ms Perkisn captures the atmosphere of the old Yorkshire folk with their superstitions, prejudices and savagery as well as kindnesses; people of the 17th century. She also captures the - at times banal- dinner time conversations of the 21st. However the story moves in
Jeff Bennington
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of historical mystery/thriller/paranormal
If you read mystery/thrillers with historical and supernatural elements, Thores-Cross should be at the top of your list.
This book is very well-written, well paced and the characters are wonderfully developed. And like all good historical fiction, this book is very detailed when it comes to the time, setting, lifestyle, and character traits you'd expect from modern and 16th century England.

In a nutshell, the main protagonist, Emma (a novelist), is mysteriously compelled to write the story of a yo
Collins Prime
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is nothing but a sizzling novel written in the simplest of ways. Just like water drops, you're dragged in gently and before you know it, you are drowned. The language is unique, the phrases are well-turned.

If you're the kind of person with love for historical fiction with some dollop of horror and romance - this is your girl.
Richard Ankers
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a North Yorkshire lad, I simply had to read this.

I was astonished at the almost flawless narrative and beautiful flow of this story.
The startling, but extremely accurate use of language, only goes to enhance the period scenes within the book. I don't think someone reading from another area would realise just how precise Jennet's speech is.

As for the story itself, wonderful. We have the haunting intro, short and scary. Then onwards to Jennet's awful circumstances. I found the whole experience
Margarita Morris
Writing a dual-time novel is not an easy thing to do and Karen Perkins should be given credit for trying. However, I think there are some problems with this novel. The historical story is problematic because the heroine loses the reader's sympathy by moving from a state of foolishness to a state of vindictiveness. It's true that she is badly treated by others in the story, but she cannot be said to be innocent of the crimes of which she is accused. Also the historical part of the story lacks any ...more
Elisa Blaisdell
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I almost had a problem with this book on account of its excellent writing. It is written in the first person, with alternate chapters told by Emma, a young married woman living in the 21st century, and by Jennet, an orphaned fifteen-year old living in the 18th century. After reading the first 'Jennet' chapter, I struggled to keep myself from skipping ahead and reading all the other Jennet chapters as fast as I could, forgetting about the overall flow of the story.

This is not a criticism of the E
Amy Queau
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Holy crap.

This is the most well-researched, intense and spookiest book I've ever read. Not only did these characters come alive and jump out at me from my screen, but I even dreamed about them! Not just one - all of them!
I admit, some of the dialect was difficult to decipher, because I'm no historian and I'm not used to hearing people speak this way, but Jennet's POV was immaculate. The two voices in this story (Jennet- 1770s and Emma-present day) were dist
Heather
Aug 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book. The storyline had promise and the writing was decent but, ultimately, ended up being a disappointment. I think a good editor could have helped guide the author into making the story really shine. As it stands, however, I would not recommend it.

My main complaint was the lack of growth in the main characters and the ongoing themes of victimization and using tragedy as an excuse to repeatedly make decisions that ultimately destroyed lives. I would have loved to see the m
Cheryl
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-edition
I'm with another reviewer on this. 5 stars should really be used for the best books you've ever read. Maybe this is the best book you've ever read - but for me, while it was entertaining it was not one of the books I've ever read. I adore ghost stories but unfortunately I can't think of one that is on my list of the best books I've ever read.

That said, this is a good ghost story. Karen Perkins does a great job managing the back and forth between the two different time centuries and while for me
Maretha Botha
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've had the pleasure to read another of Karen Perkin's novels on authonomy, the HarperCollins website and thoroughly enjoyed her amazing story-telling ability, at the time.

Thores-Cross did not disappoint either. I couldn't put the book down and read it in one sitting, spending a pleasant Sunday afternoon reading an amazing story with a truly intriguing plot. I was glad that I read the book during the day; nighttime would've been really frightening for me!

Emma Moorcroft and her husband, Dave mov
Claire Riley
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thores Cross is to begin with a haunting story of love, betrayal and revenge, and lives are intertwined and with the present and the past.

The book is cleverly set out weaving backwards and forewards between history and the present and bringing the two stories to an almost unbearably dramatic peak, before coming apart before your eyes.

This isn't the sort of book I normally read, but I was lucky enough to read some of Karens previous work and fell in love with her pirate adventures and so the cha
Kimberly
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am surprised by all the 5 star reviews. For this reason, and the interesting premise, I picked it up on BookBub. While giving only 2 stars is a bit harsh, I did not feel it were worth 3. I would put it somewhere around 2.5.

While I did enjoy the story bits set in the 1700's, I found the modern time sections centered around the main protagonist to be dull, unbelievable, and one note. The character development was lacking; the dialog forced and unrealistic. This section could have been great, had
Alison
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this novel - the first I have purchased for my new kindle. It is extremely well-written, with just enough description to set the scenes without becoming bogged-down. The characters are well-drawn and believable, even though the tale itself is supernatural. The two narratives work really well together and are linked in a very clever way. The story is well researched and the narrative flows well, keeping the reader gripped all the way through. I would definitely recommend Thores ...more
Rosalind Minett
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a popular format at the moment: a time slip with the present-day character manipulated by an adversary in the past. The structure has the two characters’ stories running simultaneously so that the reader alternates between past and present gradually picking up the threads which tie, if not strangle, the life of the main character in the present.

The setting of Thores Cross is eerie and compelling. A ruined village drowned under a reservoir, a house which seems haunted to a little girl who
Carol Piner
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5.0 out of 5 stars I Simply Can't Wait to Tell You About This Compelling Book!!, June 1, 2013

I was trying to decide what to use in the title when I decided to say exacting what was in my mind. Thores-Cross by Karen Perkins is not only a stunning book but is so well written and so well laid out that you truly do not have a moment to gather your thoughts until it's all over. Then, you want to go back and read it all over again.

It would be so easy to tell you the entire story to show you what I fo
Dormaine G.
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What could I say about this tale that could give it justice? Thores-Cross is about the past, Jennet, and the present, Emma, whose lives intertwine. The story tells of love and betrayal which is told magically.

We follow both women’s lives along their journey through hardship and tragedy but Jennet’s was so tormenting that, at times, it was cruel. To be honest, I loved her majority of the time but there were moments that I became so frustrated with her because of her antics. I had to catch myself
Barb
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book courtesy of Goodreads First Reads program. A combination historical horror/ghost story, the novel is told from the dueling perspectives of Emma, a modern woman who has moved back to her childhood home in Yorkshire only to find herself haunted by Jennet, a teenager who lived in the same village 200 years prior. Jennet is a restless spirit determined to have her story told, with the help of Emma, who just happens to be an author.

Jennet's tale is tragic, full of the ignorance a
Nicola
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love historical novels and it’s a pleasure to read one as beautifully crafted as this.

The story centres on Emma, a present day writer, and Jennet, a girl living in the 1770s, struggling after the death of her parents. Although the two are separated by more than 200 years, they are nevertheless inextricably linked. Just how they are bound together, is gradually revealed by altering between Emma’s present day narrative and Jennet’s historical one.

The historical details and use of dialect in Jenn
Chris Bostic
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Karen's latest book impresses as much, or more, than her previous seafaring tales. Unlike the pirate stories, this one uses a lovely back and forth between modern day and the late 1700's to paint an exquisite tale - with a bit of sailing, of course.

The story of Emma and Jennet hooked me right away. It was emotionally powerful with action carrying the plot along crisply.

A great read!
Martin
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Helped by strong characterisations. Couldn't put it down.
Rebecca
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love horror, ghost stories
I'm not sure what to say about this book except that at about one third of the way through, I felt like Jennet Scot had possessed me, too.

I could not stop reading.

Unforgettable!
Sarah Heskins
Really enjoyed this book prob not a good idea to read it before bed Cus I had a few scary dreams, but I am a whimp!!! :)
Peter Mutanda
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful - couldn't put it down!
J.P. Lane
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s an interesting storyline, and the author’s use of voice and dialect to differentiate between the past and present creates a clear distinction between the two, but I found the modern-day chapters lacked the emotional intensity I would expect in a situation such as Emma’s. I would think anyone who suspects they’ve been possessed by a malevolent entity would be terrified, yet Emma came across as being no more than disturbed by her frightening experience.

Through Jennet, the late 1700s character
Caly ☯ Crazy Book Lady
Not your typical ghost story, this is a great book for historical fiction fans. Definitely going to read some of Karen Perkins other books.
Jen
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great! I enjoyed the back n forth between current day n the past. The story was well written n I had a hard time putting it down. A bit supernatural, a bit mystery, n all around great read!
Jeanine
I love this book! Beautifully written and well researched, this is one heck of a ghost story.
Joan
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A haunting tale of love and revenge

This is an intriguing, well-written tale about Emma Davis, a writer, who had miscarried during the past year and her husband, Dave. They had built a new dream home out in the country near a reservoir and the moors in England, which she loved. She had lived there as a child and up on the hill was a place they called “the Haunted House.” When she was ten, she found an old inkwell, which she kept. Dave very much wanted her to get pregnant again, but she was so afr
Tisha
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As my 5 star review shows, I really liked this book.

We all read for different reasons. Some read to escape, some read to feel good, some read to be scared, some to be soothed, etc. All these elements are present in Throes-Cross, but one that surprised me was to be challenged to like a character, even root for a character, while also being repelled at times by the character. It's a little disconcerting and I loved that.

First, the plot. Emma, a writer, moves into a new house hoping to heal from a
Goodreads Librari...: Revised Cover 3 25 Dec 19, 2013 09:34AM
  • A King Ensnared: A Historical Novel of Scotland
  • The Cost of the Dream (Gastien, #1)
  • Enter At Your Own Risk: Old Masters, New Voices
  • The 53rd Parallel (River of Lakes, #1)
  • Scars on the Face of God: The Devil's Bible
  • Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)
  • Black Water Creek
  • The Heidelberg Effect (Tempus Fugitives Trilogy, #1)
  • Forever Man
  • Cry of the Peacock (The Metamorphosis Series, #2)
  • The Monmouth Summer (Women of Courage, #3)
  • The Flyer (Pitsford Series #1)
  • Confessions of a Courtesan
  • Orphan of the Olive Tree
  • Rude Mechanicals
  • Flux
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr
  • The Sea and the Silence
Karen Perkins is the author of seven fiction titles: the Yorkshire Ghost Stories and the Valkyrie Series of Caribbean pirate adventures. All of her fiction has appeared at the top of bestseller lists on both sides of the Atlantic, including the top 25 in the UK Kindle Store in 2018.

Her first Yorkshire Ghost Story – THE HAUNTING OF THORES-CROSS – won the Silver Medal for European Fiction in the pre
More about Karen Perkins

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“One drunk shepherd, two drunk shepherd, three drunk shepherd,’ I counted, and thunder rolled. Three miles away.” 1 likes
“What do you do?’ I asked, nosey as ever – an essential attribute for a writer.” 0 likes