Start by marking “How Not to Be a Dick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide” as Want to Read:
How Not to Be a Dick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide

How Not to Be a Dick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide

On the one hand, nobody wants to be a dick. On the other hand, dicks are everywhere! They cut in line, talk behind our backs, recline into our seats, and even have the power to morph into trolls online. Their powers are impressive, but with a little foresight and thoughtfulness, we can take a stand against dickishness today. How Not to Be a Dick is packed with honest and s ...more
Published August 1st 2013 by Zest Books (Tm) (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about How Not to Be a Dick, please sign up.

Start your review of How Not to Be a Dick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide
karen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
great title, okay book.
it is probably better than okay; i am just being a dick.

the advice is good, but i am baffled about who the target audience is meant to be. it is published as "children's nonfiction" on "houghton mifflin harcourt children's book group," but so many of the situations are not applicable to children: how not to be a dick to your boss, how not to be a dick when you are the boss, the perils of sexting, online dating tips, how not to be a dick when drunk and tempted to yell "dog
Jeanette (Again)

Rating = 3.5 stars

Hmmmmm...how do I review this without being dickish?

This book was irresistible to me because it was listed as children's nonfiction. "How," I asked myself, "does one discuss dickful behavior with that age group? And what parent would let his/her kid read it?"

Turns out the book is directed at teenagers, and one teaches etiquette by using juvenile humor, (which I admit I loved), and by talking a lot about cheese. Yes, cheese. If you want to avoid being a dick, never insult anoth
Steph Sinclair
Just the book I was looking for! It's the perfect "Just Because I Love You" gift!
Jillyn
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, requested
This book is a quick read of advice for the modern person on how to act better in a variety of situations. Like most people (I assume, anyway), I was intrigued by this book because of its awesome title. But for me, the rest of the book wasn't as awesome.

This is due in large part to the fact that I have no idea who this book is supposed to be marketed towards. I initially thought it was just an adult satire, spoofing the old primer books. But then I realized it was published by Houghton Mifflin
Delmy
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
I had such different expectations for this book and it failed to fulfill every single one. I was curious about the title "How Not to Be a Dick", I thought it might be satirical or at the very least, a little funny...Nope.

Ok, maybe I did not like it because it was telling me how to behave in the most condescending of ways. I was reading some of the reviews and some could not tell who this book was geared towards. I think it was towards anyone 18+, it tells you how you should behave but as if you
Melissa
There is a lot to like in this little book. Fans of websites like Captain Awkward or The Pervocracy will find themselves nodding their heads along with discussions of topics like active listening, self-respect, and treating people you're attracted to like they're also real! However, I find that I cannot write a review of this without taking umbrage on two particular topics.

On sick leave: “So long as your company is part of an industrialized nation, you will have sick days allotted to you.” Excus
Alexandra
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
i was browsing through the bargain section at barnes & noble and came across what i thought looked like a hilarious book commenting on the subtle ways people can be dicks. i was thinking this would briefly explore different personality types and funny situations that come up when people are acting dickishly. but i was really disappointed when how not to be a dick is truly what the cover promises: an everyday etiquette guide.

it has things like, don't let your bags and personal items spill onto th
Renee
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
How Not to Judge a Book by Its Cover

Meghan Doherty's unapologetic title "How Not to Be a Dick" stopped me in my tracks. My first thought was: This book is listed as "children's non-fiction"? My reaction was one of surprise, and maybe even shock. Then, I thought back to all those Dick and Jane books from childhood, and it all began to make sense.

"How Not to be a Dick" is a funny, yet practical guide every young person should read before adulthood. Its tongue in cheek humor is an effective way to
Tandie
Nov 08, 2013 marked it as to-read
This is my very favorite 'give as a gift' title to date. Must buy this. Must be careful to give it to someone with a sense of humor. Or to someone really, really mean. I didn't realize at first how classic the cover is!
Steven
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Amusing (mainly due to the side illustrations) but basic etiquette & manners stuff. Still, the verbal and cartoon asides are a stitch. ...more
Danielle Cumberland
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m torn. On the one hand, this book, with its subtle Dick-and-Jane double entendre made me laugh the moment I saw it. I was looking for books for my 14yo son to read for our reading time (I homeschool). In the earlier part of the book, there was quite a bit of good etiquette info, humorously presented, which would work for a 14yo...but I was on the fence about giving him the book because the repeated use of “dick” (even though, as I said, that was totally funny to me).

As I read on, though, I d
Amie Blaszczyk
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s taking everything in my power to not send this to a few select people in my life.

But, that would be a dick move. And, I read the book, learned a few lessons, and therefore will not be sending this book to those select few.

But, I want to...

It’s a fun, cheeky read and perfect if you ever find yourself with only 5-10 minutes to read. You can digest a few “chapters” in that time. And, then, go about your life, not being a dick.
Tanzeel
May 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Was so bad. Didn’t help whatsoever
Stephen
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Cute book, but probably more intended for someone college age. I honestly hope my older kids read it and take it a bit to heart. A lot of the illustrations are hilarious, but I found a lot of the etiquette to be self-explanatory.
Sean DeLauder
Nov 16, 2013 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: political pundits
To my mind, three audiences exist for this book:
1. Dicks in need of reformation
2. Those unfamiliar with what makes one a dick
3. Those who need a method of dealing with dicks

This book puts itself in an awkward marketing position because, odds are, if you need to read this book (1), your sense of self righteousness will tell you doing so isn't necessary. Of the remaining audiences, one consists of people who feel they need help identifying people who are the subject of the book (2). Of course, if
Lorca Damon
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The dubiously inappropriate title aside, How Not to Be a D*ick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide (censorship mine) is like Emily Post for normal people, people who don't go around presenting their calling cards to household butlers and waiting in the drawing room for their lady friends to descend the stairs. No, this book features actual daily life application social norms. It contains important chapters on topics like how to get along with peers and co-workers, how to cook your food in the office mi ...more
Misty
I'll give a more in-depth review when I have a chance, but quickly, I just want to say:

When I initially flipped through this on arrival, I thought I was going to be disappointed. It wasn't nearly as snarky and/or vulgar as I was expecting it to be... (though, maybe since Zest Books is geared at a YA audience, the fault was in myself for expecting or wanting heaps of vulgar snark. *Shrug*)
But once I actually read through and sort of adjusted my expectations, I started noticing a different, most s
Kb
Jun 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was filed under Adult Nonfiction in my library, but the tone seems more geared to 12-to-14 year olds. Which is strange, because the situations where the described etiquette applies are more appropriate to young twenty-somethings. So, although the advice given is sound, it's really unclear who the audience for this book is. (Also, the references to cheese logs got really annoying after the first two or three.)
Brittany
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I thought it would be more humor, but it really is a basic etiquette guide. There were funny bits, and some good advice, but mostly it reads like it was written for a sociopath, so they can get by in everyday society. I think the little doodles might have been funny, but they were basically impossible to read on my Kindle.
Tim
Oct 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is a waste of time. i suspect it takes longer to read than it took the author to write. To the point - who is this book targeted at? It comes across as for pre-teens but the topics aren't appropriate for them. Don't waste your time on this. it might look like it will be a fun read but in reality it is just not even that.
Ethel the Read It
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
this is a book that tells you about basic manners and common sense,
That's done in a fairly patronising way, if your that much of a dick that you don't know these things, you wouldn't think your a dick in the first place and read this book. Was very disappointed, I was looking forward a good laugh from the blurb.
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Because you gotta start the year off right...
Juan Pablo Romero
Apr 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
The title sounded exciting. I was prepared to be bombarded with a wisdom-packed morals & ethics discussion in a tongue-in-cheek tone.

But after the first pages I just gave up. I especially cringed when I read this bit:

"Jokes that belittle others or trade in stereotypes—particularly if they make fun of some aspect of the person you’re with— can backfire. A bad joke is one thing, but intolerance is no laughing matter. So stay away from jokes based on racial, ethnic, cultural, or gender stereotypes.
Kathy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I was such a fan of this book! Initially, I thought it'd just be a humorous short book for teens about how to act like adults, but after reading it I have to say the advice in this book could benefit everyone. Accompanied by cute little illustrations that reference pop culture, this book covers social situations ranging from parties to airports to how to act online. It's very comprehensive. I only wish to have read more specifically about dating (although it was referenced) and I also wish the a ...more
Claire
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An essential book given the current social and political situations in America. If everyone could learn to be a little more considerate and a little less, well, dickish, then everyone would be a lot happier.

If I honestly thought they would read it, I would give this book to every obnoxious teenager or self-important adult I've ever met. The only problem is that if somebody is already a dick, usually they're arrogant enough that they don't believe they need to change their ways. Unfortunately, it
Vincent Biondi
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is broken down into several categories or situations you would find yourself in life. It is clearly written, to the point, and an easy read. There are also little diagrams with dialogue scenarios. As I read it, I took notes of phrases that would be helpful with my life. If the scenario doesn't exactly for your life, you can still find use in the generalized idea. The author gives simple common sense suggestions. But it is amazing how many of these are not utilized in society.
Vivien Yin
After reading the book, it made me realised that I am such a dick time to time. Not good for my self-esteem, I was quite depressed after reading some of it and think about no wonder why I am single. I find it quite useful, it was fun to read at the start when I can just point out the quote to my dick friend, but not really good after I find out I am a dick myself too.
It is quite a small read, just wish it is more to read. It needs include trolls in its dick list.
Margaret
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am not sure who this book is intended for.
The writing is simplistic with a couple points per page, illustrated by line drawing reminescent of the Dick and Jane readers of my childhood. But containing some advanced vocabulary and dealing wtih adult situations.
I suppose someone who does not read much and has a poor grasp of etiquette might profit if they stumbled across the book.
Lauren
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was wonderfully sarcastic while also being true and having decent advice. But I just didn't have as a great a time reading this as I thought I would. I don't think I'd read it again, except to remind myself of something. But I'd still recommend most people giving it a read, at least once.
Chris
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The tips and tricks provided on how to negotiate life sans the shitty attitude will serve me well in my spankin' new life of fresh-faced fun-filled days of demonstrable destitution.

IOW: It was a fun read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• O Livro dos Ressignificados
  • Manners That Matter Most: The Easy Guide to Etiquette At Home and In the World
  • O Evangelho Segundo O Espiritismo
  • Jungian Dream Interpretation: A Handbook of Theory and Practice
  • Shortest Way Home: One mayor's challenge and a model for America's future
  • Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship
  • Black Ops (Danny Black #7)
  • How to Hug A Porcupine: Easy Ways to Love the Difficult People in Your Life (Little Book. Big Idea.)
  • تلبيس إبليس
  • Little Weirds
  • No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State
  • Elements of Wit: Mastering the Art of Being Interesting
  • Engineers' Data Book
  • Data Structures and Algorithms in Java
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Black Promise (Obsidian, #3)
  • Black Forever (Obsidian, #4)
  • Blood Brothers: The Fatal Friendship Between Muhammad Ali and Malcolm X
Meghan Doherty has written for the Brooklyn-based web magazine, Brokelyn.com, and has created illustrations, websites and posters for a variety of clients. She currently lives in Brooklyn, New York, and How Not to Be a Dick: An Everyday Etiquette Guide is her first book.