Start by marking “I Am Nobody's Nigger” as Want to Read:
I Am Nobody's Nigger

I Am Nobody's Nigger

Revolutionary, reflective, and romantic, I Am Nobody's Nigger is the powerful debut collection by one of the United Kingdom's finest emerging poets.

Exploring race, identity, and sexuality, Dean Atta shares his perspective on family, friendship, relationships, and London life, from riots to one-night stands.

Dean Atta is a writer and performance poet. He has been commissione
Published March 2013 by The Westbourne Press (first published February 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Nobody's Nigger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Nobody's Nigger

Start your review of I Am Nobody's Nigger
Amal Bedhyefi
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I got to know Dean Attan through this collection of poetry about race, identity but mostly sexuality and romance.
Some poems were relatable , thoughtful , eloquent and so meaningful , whereas others were bland and repetitive.
I loved how he honestly depicted the lives of men of colour these days , poverty , racism and criminality .
His poems are honest , raw and painful and we get to see a glimpse of what is really like to be a men of colour , who is also gay.
However , there are a couple of things
Emma
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this poetry collection, but nothing more really. I appreciated the fact that while reading I found some of the elements I previously loved in Dean Atta's novel in verse The Black Flamingo. This collection here is entirely written through Dean Atta's perspective and because of that it offers very honest poems.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, honest, raw and inspirational. Just a few of the words I would use to summarise the poetry of Dean Atta.

Dean Atta moves around various social and political issues within his various poems. From the murder of Stephen Lawrence and the usage of racial terminology. To the plight of fatherless children or homeless people. He clearly is a very deep and thoughtful poet.

“Please listen when I speak
How many homeless you seen this week?”

There is a poem titled ‘Young, Black And Gay’ where Dean A
Mary Adeson
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, glbt, 2018-read
I Am Nobody's Nigger is not all politics, it a collection of poems which allows you to see the world through Atta's eyes. This collection includes something for everyone, a few are funny, touching but overall all speak truths.

I'm looking forward to Atta's upcoming book "The Black Flamingo".
Mugren Ohaly
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Truthful poems that are witty and creative, and quite a few of us can relate to.
Daria
I really liked the first half of the book. The poems tackled race and standing up in front of injustice which is very actual, also ways of expression and the importance and pain of writing. The writing style was also nice – saying that as someone who isn’t really into modern poetry – but the messages were the ones that hit me.

Some of my favorite poems were: Revolution, Therapy, Paper Cuts, Key to the City, Ego Extensions.

Then the second half was love poems. Which are not my favorites to begin wi
Dominic
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, young-adult
As much as I love love LOVE Dean Atta's debut verse novel, The Black Flamingo, this debut poetry collection was hit-or-miss. Some of the poems could have used more nuance, and most of them rely on rhyming couplets, which gave the collection a repetitive feel.

The best poems were the ones about relationships and untangling attachments, rather than the ones about race. Many of these would benefit if heard as performance poems rather than splayed out on the page.

I appreciated the insight into Atta's
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A mixed bag.
Ariel [She Wants the Diction]
Thanks, I hate it. 🙃

I knew I wasn't going to like this collection because the title poem, "I Am Nobody's Nigger," essentially takes rappers to task for using the reclaimed version of the N-word in their songs, because it's the last thing many Black people heard before they were lynched or brutally murdered. While this is a fact and I understand his stance against it, I don't think it respects the multiplicity of the Black experience. All Black people have the right to choose whether they want to
Elle
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rhythmic, fantastic and truly mesmerising. I could go on and on about just how great this poetry book is but I don't want to babble so I'll just tell you to just give it a chance. Admittedly I enjoyed Atta's poetry more when he stuck to social commentaries and he lost me a little with the forlorn personal stuff near the end but there is no doubt that Atta is a truly talented writer and I would adore to see him read some of his work as I can only imagine how much better that would be.

Definitely t
Natasha
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found Dean Atta's poems to be so unique because he's unafraid to include his personal flaws in his poetry. He writes about how he's sometimes judgmental, sometimes unkind, sometimes selfish, and sometimes wrong. He mixes this into his writing alongside other pieces of himself, and it's his honesty that makes his poetry so alluring. I recognized my own humanity in his work.

Favourite poems: Paper Cuts, Off the Wall, Matters of the Heart, Ghostwriter, Second Hand, Lost in Time.
Sam
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This collection of poems are beautifully crafted; Dean Atta has a way of string the words together elegantly to create a wonderful pace and rhythm. My personal favourites are "Fatherless Nation" (I have personal experience of an absent father) and "Freedom of Love"
Imran
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It hit me like a slap in the face,
It stood up like a mirror to my face.

It sounded like the things I was trying to hear,
And brought along truths, I'd least expected would rear.

I dither turning the pages lest I encounter,
An unsaid wish or another accusation I'd be unable to counter.
Becca
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Amazingly powerful, moving, insightful and inspiring poetry. Go buy it.
Matt Hunt
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, poetry
Very enjoyable to read, insightful and rhythmic.
Frangipani Marigold
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent social and politically aware poetry
Sue Baiman
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. My review is at http://www.chocolatescotch.com/2013/0... ...more
Senojecurbe
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
honest love stories
Tiana Montgomery
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I saw Dean Atta perform his poetry at an LGBTQ+ event and was an immediate fan. This is his debut collection of poetry that is so raw, inspiring and truthful. His words are so strong and powerful that they knock the breath out of you. He writes about all the things that effects a person. He explores identity, race, sexuality, love, relationships, friendship, family and London. He is relevant and he has sass. I have read his poetry over and over again because I feel a true connection to what he h ...more
Natalie 8luebird They/Them
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This collective works is a mixture of rhyming, free form and narrative poetry of varying themes. Each piece is exceptionally powerful, personal and vulnerable, reading in a lyrical manner regardless of whether rhyming is present or not. You really get a feel for how these poems might be performed by their individual structures (some of the poems can be found performed by Dean Atta on YouTube).

Atta eloquently discusses multiple facets of racism, what it is to be a gay Black male, growing up in a
Nazmin
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Very good, 4 out of 5 - I particularly like: I Am Nobody's Nigger, Young Black and Gay, Revolution, Fatherless Nation, Paper Cuts, I Am Red, Mother Tongue and Key to the City.
Graham Sillars
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful collection. Thought provoking and real. Just go read it!
Katie
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed.
Simone Mendez
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
As much as some of the themes were highly relatable, I mostly just felt underwhelmed. I'm not a big fan of rhyming couplet poems either so maybe that's also why I can't rate it too highly.
Nathaniel
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Really enjoyed this collection with a few pieces that really stood out. Noticed that the first half of the poems have a particularly musical rhythm.
Charles
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short collection of well-written lyrical prose that inspects societal expectations of masculinity and race through the lens of growing up gay and black in the UK.
Andrew Shanks
I’ve never really read poetry other than what was assigned in school. I felt this was very real and authentic writing. Found this author on a list of upcoming 2019 releases and will be sure to get the new collection of poems.
Jess Mac

• How to Stay Sane in an Age of Division
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Melt My Heart
  • Meet Cute Club (Sweet Rose #1)
  • 82년생 김지영
  • Zikora
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)
  • They Can't Kill Us All: Ferguson, Baltimore, and a New Era in America’s Racial Justice Movement
  • Making Friends with Alice Dyson
  • Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Immigrant Women Who Changed the World
  • Free Radicals: The Secret Anarchy of Science
  • Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos
  • Speedy BOSH!: Over 100 Quick and Easy Plant-Based Meals in 20 Minutes
  • BOSH!: The Cookbook: Simple Recipes. Amazing Food. All Plants.
  • We Unleash the Merciless Storm (We Set the Dark on Fire, #2)
  • Here Is the Beehive
Dean was shortlisted for the Polari First Book Prize for his debut poetry collection, I Am Nobody’s Nigger. His poems have been anthologised by Bad Betty Press, Emma Press, Stripes Publishing, Team Angelica and have appeared on BBC One, BBC Radio 4, BBC World Service and Channel 4. Dean was named as one of the most influential LGBT people in the UK by the Independent on Sunday. He regularly perfor ...more