Start by marking “I Am Nobody's Nigger” as Want to Read:
I Am Nobody's Nigger

I Am Nobody's Nigger

Revolutionary, reflective, and romantic, I Am Nobody's Nigger is the powerful debut collection by one of the United Kingdom's finest emerging poets.

Exploring race, identity, and sexuality, Dean Atta shares his perspective on family, friendship, relationships, and London life, from riots to one-night stands.

Dean Atta is a writer and performance poet. He has been com/>Dean
Published March 2013 by The Westbourne Press (first published February 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Nobody's Nigger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Nobody's Nigger

Start your review of I Am Nobody's Nigger
Amal Bedhyefi
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I got to know Dean Attan through this collection of poetry about race, identity but mostly sexuality and romance.
Some poems were relatable , thoughtful , eloquent and so meaningful , whereas others were bland and repetitive.
I loved how he honestly depicted the lives of men of colour these days , poverty , racism and criminality .
His poems are honest , raw and painful and we get to see a glimpse of what is really like to be a men of colour , who is also gay.
However , there are
Mary Adeson
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, glbt, 2018-read
I Am Nobody's Nigger is not all politics, it a collection of poems which allows you to see the world through Atta's eyes. This collection includes something for everyone, a few are funny, touching but overall all speak truths.

I'm looking forward to Atta's upcoming book "The Black Flamingo".
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, honest, raw and inspirational. Just a few of the words I would use to summarise the poetry of Dean Atta.

Dean Atta moves around various social and political issues within his various poems. From the murder of Stephen Lawrence and the usage of racial terminology. To the plight of fatherless children or homeless people. He clearly is a very deep and thoughtful poet.

“Please listen when I speak
How many homeless you seen this week?”

There is a poem titled ‘Young, Black And
Mugren Ohaly
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Truthful poems that are witty and creative, and quite a few of us can relate to.
Elle
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rhythmic, fantastic and truly mesmerising. I could go on and on about just how great this poetry book is but I don't want to babble so I'll just tell you to just give it a chance. Admittedly I enjoyed Atta's poetry more when he stuck to social commentaries and he lost me a little with the forlorn personal stuff near the end but there is no doubt that Atta is a truly talented writer and I would adore to see him read some of his work as I can only imagine how much better that would be.

Natasha
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found Dean Atta's poems to be so unique because he's unafraid to include his personal flaws in his poetry. He writes about how he's sometimes judgmental, sometimes unkind, sometimes selfish, and sometimes wrong. He mixes this into his writing alongside other pieces of himself, and it's his honesty that makes his poetry so alluring. I recognized my own humanity in his work.

Favourite poems: Paper Cuts, Off the Wall, Matters of the Heart, Ghostwriter, Second Hand, Lost in Time.
Sam
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This collection of poems are beautifully crafted; Dean Atta has a way of string the words together elegantly to create a wonderful pace and rhythm. My personal favourites are "Fatherless Nation" (I have personal experience of an absent father) and "Freedom of Love"
Imran
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It hit me like a slap in the face,
It stood up like a mirror to my face.

It sounded like the things I was trying to hear,
And brought along truths, I'd least expected would rear.

I dither turning the pages lest I encounter,
An unsaid wish or another accusation I'd be unable to counter.
Becca
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Amazingly powerful, moving, insightful and inspiring poetry. Go buy it.
Matt Hunt
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, poetry
Very enjoyable to read, insightful and rhythmic.
Frangipani Marigold
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent social and politically aware poetry
Sue Baiman
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. My review is at http://www.chocolatescotch.com/2013/0...
Senojecurbe
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
honest love stories
Andrew Shanks
I’ve never really read poetry other than what was assigned in school. I felt this was very real and authentic writing. Found this author on a list of upcoming 2019 releases and will be sure to get the new collection of poems.
Nazmin
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good, 4 out of 5 - I particularly like: I Am Nobody's Nigger, Young Black and Gay, Revolution, Fatherless Nation, Paper Cuts, I Am Red, Mother Tongue and Key to the City.
Simone Mendez
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
As much as some of the themes were highly relatable, I mostly just felt underwhelmed. I'm not a big fan of rhyming couplet poems either so maybe that's also why I can't rate it too highly.
Jess Mac

• Flèche
  • Fleabag: The Original Play
  • The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House
  • Bone
  • Whatever Happened to Interracial Love?
  • Marriage of a Thousand Lies
  • Surge
  • Doctor Who: Tales of Terror
  • The Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #20)
  • Doctor Who: Apollo 23
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 1: Revolutions of Terror
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Children of Anubis (Supernatural, #17)
  • Carved in Flesh (Supernatural, #12)
  • Cold Fire (Supernatural, #13)
  • Fresh Meat (Supernatural, #11)
  • Nevermore (Supernatural, #1)
Dean was shortlisted for the Polari First Book Prize for his debut poetry collection, I Am Nobody’s Nigger. His poems have been anthologised by Bad Betty Press, Emma Press, Stripes Publishing, Team Angelica and have appeared on BBC One, BBC Radio 4, BBC World Service and Channel 4. Dean was named as one of the most influential LGBT people in the UK by the Independent on Sunday. He regularly perfor ...more
“Silence is the truth stolen” 0 likes