Start by marking “Broken Heartland: A Mad Dog & Englishman Mystery” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Broken Heartland: A Ma...

J.M. Hayes

Broken Heartland: A Mad Dog & Englishman Mystery (Mad Dog & Englishman #4)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Sleepy Benteen County, Kansas, turns frantic on election day. Sheriff English, better known as Englishman, faces his toughest re-election challenge yet. The radical religious right is out to unseat him, their candidate an Iraq war hero. Englishman's only available deputy isn't winning him votes. That very morning, while pursuing a vehicle, the hurried deputy rams a school ...more
Published March 31st 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Heartland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Heartland

Earl McGill
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the "Afterword & Acknowledgments" of BROKEN HEARTLAND, J. M. (Mike) Hayes notes that previous books in the Mad Dog & Englishman series have "so often been described as cozies."

Rest assured, Mike, the word "cozy" will never be used to describe BROKEN HEARTLAND. I would expect the extreme opposite. The mayhem that begins early on and continues without easing off is so intense at times that other violent novels, such as THE GODFATHER, pale in comparison.

And all of this riotous confusion
Wileyacez
I still am liking Hayes' books. I almost quit because the beginning was just so familiar, but once it got rolling along, I was hooked. It continues in Hayes style--long jumps in time between each book and non-stop action with the characters running all around and never quite meeting up in one spot to share their knowledge until the climax at the end. I don't often get into a mystery series, but this one has been pretty darn good.
Debbe
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this from the library not knowing it was the 4th in a series. In checking for others I found they only have this one. Why libraries get the last in a series instead of starting at the beginning, I'll never know.

It's worth searching out at least the 1st in the series I think.

The reader was excellent.
Tom Taylor
Whew, what a mess this book was! I was in the mood for a new detective series, but this author just has trouble putting a sentence together. His characters are all over the place, no character development and the protagonists just fall flat. I literally could not wait for this unfullfilling, predictable mess to be over with. Forget this mystery.
Betty
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mad Dog and his half-brother Sheriff English, aka Englishman, are two of Kansas's quirkiest citizens. Another romp through crime, Benteen County style, with the sheriff up for re-election, Mad-Dog having more visions, creepy villians and lots of humor. A series you should read in order of publication.
April
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I kept seeing this book on Kansas State Library website, and finally decided to check it out. I didn't read any description, so was taken aback when I started listening while I was at work, when I heard of places I recognized. I could not stop until I finished. Now as I finish I am about to purchase more of this series, so I can read more.
Patty
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am hook on this series that takes place in Kansas. The characters are well developed, and I always wonder how the book will end. This book as well as the others are action pack, along with some humorous moments. I also love Hailey, Mad Dog's wolf. Great read.
Mary
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit far fetched and sad, but a good read. Always enjoy Mad Dog.
Andy Plonka
A credible mystery set in Kansas. The author makes clear some of the stereotypes one hears about Kansas are true (straight roads, though not many of them, and Weather with a capital W.
Chris
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-kansas
Quirky, eccentric but enjoyable series that alternates between violence and humour. All that's missing in this one is the Rapture. Quick read. Hayes could be following Mankell with the Sheriff.
Laura D.
Interesting view into modern southern US politics. Subtle condemnation of extreme US christian fundamentalists wrapped up in a mystery.
Redhead
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Mike Hayes has done it again, juggling a wonderful array of charaters and twisted plots that somehow he manages to catch and bring together to create a story well worth reading.
Dawn
Maybe implausible, but great characters, nonstop action, and a touch of comedy.
Ted Hessler
Not even close to believable

This one is not as good as other Mad dog books. It is just too unbelievable. I think the one organ that needs to be transplanted is the authors brain.
Kate Butterworth
Ben
rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
J.M. "Mike" Hayes has been an anthropologist, an archaeologist, and has supervised youth camping, sports, an recreation programs. He was born and raised on the flat earth of central Kansas his Mad Dog & Englishman mysteries take place. He graduated from Wichita State University and did post graduate work at the University of Arizona. He makes his home in Tucson (site of his first novel, The Gr ...more
More about J.M. Hayes...

Mad Dog & Englishman (6 books)
  • Mad Dog & Englishman (Mad Dog & Englishman, #1)
  • Prairie Gothic (Mad Dog & Englishman, #2)
  • Plains Crazy (Mad Dog & Englishman, #3)
  • Server Down (Mad Dog & Englishman, #5)
  • English Lessons (Mad Dog & Englishman, #6)