Start by marking “The Dark Secret of Weatherend (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Secret of Weatherend (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #2)

The Dark Secret of Weatherend

(Anthony Monday Mysteries #2)

When Anthony Monday stumbles upon the diary of J.K. Borkman, he thinks he's unearthed a worthless piece of junk. But Borkman's mysterious writings turn out to be much more--plans to turn the world into an icy wasteland. By the time ghastly weather sets in and Anthony realizes it's Borkman's fanatical son who is bent on carrying out his father's horrific work, it may be too ...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Puffin (first published 1984)

Richard Cardenas
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Re-read: January 2016

Just as fun, creepy, and awesome as I remember. :D
Richard Cardenas
This is the 6th time I've re-read this lol it's such a perfect spooky and fantastical winter read.
Jen
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
John Bellairs beats the pants off of the Da Vinci Code as far as the "collect the clues and figure out what the hell is going on" genre is concerned. Dan Brown should be ashamed of himself. He should also probably read this book to see how it should be done.

I remember re-reading this probably once a year when I was younger, and still got creeped out each time I read it. With relics hidden in statues and seemingly out-of-control weather that seems to be signifying the end of the world... the stor
Owen
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A satisfying sequel to the first book in the Anthony Monday series, The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn. I like this one a bit better. At first, I was unsure because it had supernatural elements and the first one didn't. I was hoping it wasn't because the first book wasn't successful so John Bellairs had to change his strategy, but he was pretty well-known for writing supernatural Gothic horror, so I think he knew what he was doing. And he did pull off the magical bits well. It wasn't too overbea ...more
Melanie
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
I think the Anthony Monday kept their intrigue for me because they were in many ways alien, and difficult for me to understand in elementary school--St. Cloud, Minnesota? Inheritances, saint's bones? The threat of the apocalypse?--yet still so chilling. I also really liked Ms. Ells.
The rockabilly werewolf from Mars .
I recall reading these books from my school library when I was 8 or so (it would have been around 2006). I quite enjoyed them, but until recently I could not remember the name of them. By chance, while looking for books with illustrations by Edward Gorey, I happened to find this one, which happens to be the one that I remember the most clearly. At the time I hadn't heard of Gorey, so it was quite interesting to find that a book that I enjoyed as a child had art by my favourite artist. Incidental ...more
Alicia A.
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little more sorcery, but still really good.
Sam
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm maybe not as big a fan of Anthony Monday as the other series, but a kooky old librarian is a fun companion.
Cris
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I picked this title up because it was listed as a read alike for the Harry Potter series. I disagree.
Justin  K. Rivers
This is the second Anthony Monday book by John Bellairs, and unlike the first, which contains no supernatural elements, The Dark Secret of Weatherend brings Monday into Bellairs' more typical world of wizards and midwestern gothic magic.

Like his other novels, this one is well written and charming. All of his books have an odd style - gothic supernatural elements set in the 1950's, set either in the Midwest (as with this book) or New England (the Johnny Dixon books). Compared to the others, Weat
Debbie
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's great having Grandkids who are as into reading as I am! Recently our 9 year old granddaughter suggested I read this book and I am so GLAD that I did. It's a mystery that will keep you reading as you want to find out what happens next in each chapter. As she says, "it's so descriptive"!

I found it along the lines of Indiana Jones and his adventures. The unlikely pair of a 14 year old boy named Anthony and Miss Eells, described as an elderly librarian (but I think she is only in her 60's and r
D.
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another strong entry in Bellair's canon. The second Anthony Monday book is a departure from the previous one, as it has the addition of very strong supernatural elements. The interactions between the characters are fun. There was a little too much "deus ex machina" at the end, but it fits with the mood of the book.

By now, the Bellairs books (This is the seventh in a row I've read!) have fallen into a bit of a routine, so I think I'll take a break for awhile -- I don't want to burn through them a
Jason
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Delightful! The characters make the story. I love the friendship between Anthony and Ms. Eells. And I love how Bellairs isn't afraid to portray real evil in his stories. "Horror" for kids has been watered down in the last 20 years or so. And it's a shame because kids like to be scared, and without good kidlit to scare them, they'll often find themselves drifting into teen and adult horror territory which they might not be ready for yet.
Sem
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
March 2011:Who knew that Duluth was such a hotbed of sorcerous skulduggery?

For reasons which I've never quite been able to put my finger on, Bellairs has always been my comfort reading of choice. This isn't one of his very best but since there are so few in the Anthony Monday series I thought I'd start my re-read with it.

December 2016: One of my snowy weather re-reads.
Patrick Day
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Anthony Monday books are refashioned in this edition to be more like the Johnny Dixon adventures, though these characters are not as cleverly conceived as Johnny and Professor Childermass. Still, there are some nicely spooky moments here.
Robyn
Gothic-style novel for young readers. Good, but resolves a little conveniently. I generally feel that if you need an additional chapter after the climax to explain to the protagonist (and the reader) what happened, how, and why, you've not done the job properly.
Natlukens
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was much more spooky and fun than the previous volume in the Anthony Monday series. I enjoy the way Bellairs writes mystery and magic for young ages, very different from most other fantasy/horror I've read.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"Fourteen-year-old Anthony Monday of Hoosac, Minnesota, and his friend Miss Eells, the Hoosac librarian, try to stop an evil wizard from turning the world into an icy wasteland." (From Amazon)

A great mystery paranormal children's novel
Angie
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I pretty much love anything by John Bellairs.
Marjanne
Nov 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The second in the Anthoy Monday series. I liked this one a lot better than the first one. It was a plesant surprise.
Jake
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent. Better than some of the Lewis Barnavelt ones.
Amanda Langdon
Great Suspense/Thriller for Young Readers
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
A bit of a slow burn, but I made Jeff read aloud for two hours the other night so we could get to the climactic end, which involves the blood of Jesus. Correct, the blood of Jesus.
Annette
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Never, never, never read books by Bellairs after dark. They scare me to shivers. Always finish them before it becomes dusk or you will stay up all night afraid.
Polly
One of my favourite John Bellairs books, with a nice scary adventure and a very evil, unearthly villain.
Leaflet
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-fiction
Wild stuff. And most of it happens in Duluth.
Kate
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Decidedly creepy juvenile gothic about Anthony Monday and Miss Eells, a decrepit estate, and a plot to end the world with the weather.
Hawthorn
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another childhood favorite that I enjoyed re-reading as an adult. I read lots of Bellairs as a young person but this one in particular stood out.
Sharon
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Anthony Monday and his librarian friend, Miss Ells find a evil man trying to destroy the world.
Tyler
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I remember first being drawn in by the Gorey illustrations(which make any story better) and then the writing itself. I loved these books. All of Bellairs' books.

• The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder (Johnny Dixon, #11)
  • The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case
  • The Yggyssey: How Iggy Wondered What Happened to All the Ghosts, Found Out Where TheyWent, and Went There
  • J. S. Le Fanu's Ghostly Tales V1
  • Among the Dolls
  • Horseman (The Hollow #1)
  • Geis: A Matter of Life and Death
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • The Fox and the Ghost King
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Mistborn Adventure Game: A House of Ashes
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Lives of the Musicians: Good Times, Bad Times (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • The 13th Floor: A Ghost Story
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
John Bellairs (1938–1991) was an American novelist working primarily in the Gothic genre. He is best-known for the children's classic The House with a Clock in its Walls 1973) and for the pathbreaking fantasy novel The Face in the Frost (1969). Bellairs held a bachelor's degree from Notre Dame University and a master's in English from the University of Chicago. He combined writing and teaching f ...more

Anthony Monday Mysteries (4 books)
  • The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #3)
  • The Mansion in the Mist (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #4)
“Yes, Mom, we’re trying to save the world from a crazy guy who’s using magic statues to cause terrible weather.” 0 likes