Start by marking “Angels and Visitations: A Miscellany” as Want to Read:
Angels and Visitations: A Miscellany

Angels and Visitations: A Miscellany

(Neil Gaiman Rarities: Humble Bundle)

A collection of Neil Gaiman's short fiction; an odd assortment of enigmatic and wonderful tales- including Troll Bridge, Chivalry and Cold Colours - to amuse and delight, illustrated by Charles Vess, P. Craig Russell, Jill Carla Schwarz, Michael Zulli, and Rrandy Broecker.
Published November 1st 1994 by Dreamhaven Bks & Art (first published April 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Angels and Visitations, please sign up.
Sarah It would appear so, yes.

It would appear so, yes.

Half the pieces in this collection are also in the later collection Smoke and Mirrors which is still in print, so you can read some of its contents there. Those in both collections are:
Chivalry

The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds
Virus
Post-Mortem on Our Love
Being an Experiment Upon Strictly Scientific Lines
The Mystery of Father Brown(less)

Sr3yas
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
★★★★✬ 4.5 Stars

To amuse and delight

That's how the Internet synopsis describes this collection of...uh.. stuffs. A Miscellany, as the author has appropriately subtitled this collection, and It lives up to that name with its crazy contents. Apart from the usual suspects: his early short stories (including the famous ones like Murder Mysteries, Chivalry and We Can Get Them for You Wholesale) and Poems, Gaiman included the following literary works in this one:

► An article about the nightlife in
Ida
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of that hardest books to give a rating. Some of the texts are definitely worth at least four stars but others would only grant one star.

It's not a book to read if you're about to discover Gaiman but rather one to read if you already know his work, if you're curious about his not so famous texts or if you want to see that even famous, full time, writers doesn't always write all superior things. It actually makes Gaiman a lot more human.
Charissa
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2016
This short story is pretty great: it's funny and creepy at the same time. It's about a guy who suspects his fiancé of cheating on him, so he hires an assassin to kill the man responsible for supposedly stealing his future wife. However, the assassin keeps offering him better deals each time they meet in a bar, and who can resist a good bargain?
Rhiannon
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
The only reason to pick up this book would be for the illustrations (which are good, it's a nicely put together volume). The best pieces here are reprinted in Smoke and Mirrors, along with some better, later stories. The stories and poems that are unique to this collection read like juvenalia.
Sherri Bell
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
M—
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
In early February of 2007, Gaiman posted an entry in his blog about the break-in of his favorite local bookstore. The owners of the store are friends with Gaiman and asked if he would please tell his blog readers about this and maybe encourage his readers to help out by maybe buying a book. The store, Dreamhaven, has a really nice online catalog, and I used it extensively when collecting my copies of the Sandman.

February is my birthday month, and I hadn't purchased a present for myself yet, so t
A.M.
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Neil Gaiman writes the best short stories… and this one is no exception. I saw it on a list of short stories you must read but given it dates from 1989 I reckon Gaiman has written better short stories since then. *shrugs* they’re all good. This one fits in the gaimanesque version of Gothic horror, I suppose.
It’s the little things… like Peter spent almost an entire lunch hour choosing the engagement ring that cost him £37.50 and might have contained a diamond… might have.
Or the way the pub sign o
Rebecca Johnson
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I always enjoy Neil Gaiman’s writing, so I pretty much knew I would love this one too. His writing is just so clever, so rich, that you can’t help but want to read more.

Angels and Visitations, however, was a little different from the other novels and short stories of his that I’ve read. It is, as the title says, ‘a miscellany’, a collection of literary bits and pieces he has accumulated over the years: poetry, book reviews, stories written for this and that. As such, it was a bit of an odd colle
Ilse
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 4-stars
This short story kind of feels like a kid's book for adults. I know that probably doesn't make sense. But the story is about Peter Pinter who finds the woman he is engaged to, messing about with another guy. He wants to get rid of the other guy and hires an assasin who has some interesting bargains for him. The build up and where it ends is kind of like it would be way more innocent in a children's book wich I very much like. It's a very fun quick read.
Tracy
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
'Nicholas Was...." is the best 100 words ever.
Jim
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Neil Gaiman, his first collection, I believe, of short stories and a few other oddments. Everything ranges from good to very good with, for me, only one exception. Since most of this self-described miscellany appeared elsewhere at some point, this may only be for those who bought it originally (like me) when there wasn't much Gaiman to buy, or those who are completists. The publisher, Dreamhaven, is no longer with us, but were the place to go for early Gaiman. Anyway, good stuff.
Don
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, fiction
A slim collection of short stories, poems and other bits and pieces. They are from among the author's early work but show his originality, wit and remarkable magination. Some are brilliant and will be read again and again, others I didn't care for.
Andrew
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This is a mixed bag. A collection of early Gaiman short stories, and poems, and stuff. Some of the stories are great. There are a few nice illustrations in here too. Worth reading if you're a Gaiman fan, and you're looking for some miscellaneous odd stuff to read.
Mike
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Really more three and a half stars. Some fantastic pieces and some forgettable. But I guess he warned me about that in the introduction.
Fabiola
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a delight, Mr. Gaiman.
This book is long since out of print, but I got a copy through a recent Humble Bundle of Neil Gaiman ebooks. It is the earliest collection published of Neil's short fiction and unfortunately it shows. Quite a few pieces just aren't that good, you can tell that he hasn't found his voice yet.

There is however a smattering of great pieces in here including off the top of my head Chivalry, Looking For The Girl, and Murder Mysteries. The better news is that half the pieces in this collection (all the
Susan
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardback, collected, 2013
I quite adore the short fiction of Neil Gaiman. If you're interested in seeing/hearing him read his short story "Chivalry" it's one of the extras on the DVD *John Bolton: A Short Film By Neil Gaiman*

re-read 9/14/2013 - 9/21/2013
The Song of the Audience • poem
Chivalry • (1992) ** Love this story !!!
Nicholas Was . . . • (1990) super-short Christmas Anti-Klaus story
Babycakes • (1990) Neil's tongue-in-check "A Modest Proposal"
Troll Bridge • (1993) I read this first in the first RoF Mag
Vampire
Izlinda
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
There were some stories I've already read.

For the ones I don't recognize/remember reading beforehand:

"Babycakes" - haunting, creepy
"Webs" - an alright story
"Six to Six" - ?
"Prologue" - interesting perspective of prologue
"Cold Colours" - intriguing way technology is portrayed
"Luther's Villanelle" - I love villanelles :)
"Mouse" - So Janice got an abortion and while she was crying about it in bed, Regan slid out of bed saying "I don't have to listen to this. I really don't have to listen to this."
Elin Nilsson
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, gaiman, fantasy
This is basically a short story collection. There are a few other things in there as well, but mostly a short story collection. I've read most of them before in other collections, and just as before I love the general Neil Gaiman weirdness of it all. My favourites in this collection are the short stories We Can Get Them For You Wholesale, and Babycakes. But his drunken experiment was also fun to read. Wholesale is about a man who wants to hire and assassin to kill his ex-girlfriend and her new b ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

Published in 1993 and re-released last year as part of the Gaiman ebook bundle which I got cheap. At that point Gaiman had published half of Sandman, also Black Orchid, the Books of Magic and (with Terry Pratchett) Good Omens, and was obviously a rising star but not quite as stellar as he has since become. So a lot of these pieces are journeyman work, but none the less interesting as we see him work out a few ideas whihc he returned to later and better.
Mayumi
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, humble-bundle
Algumas citações, marcadas como spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Paul
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, novels
Here's how I saw it...
Neil Gaiman goes to his publisher.
"I have all these little bits and pieces stories that I don't know how to properly publish."
"Maybe we can throw them all together in a single volume and see what that gives?"
"Brilliant!"
Just like a cook experimenting with multiple ingredients that normally don't really go together, this book of miscellany incorporates multiple styles of writings into a single blend. In most cases, you get something that doesn't taste or fit together very we
Alex Sarll
Various odds and sods of early Gaiman; most of the more substantial were to reappear in Smoke and Mirrors. Some of those I reread - and it surprised me how totally I had forgotten the framing story of 'Murder Mysteries'. He's clearly a less developed, more whimsical writer at this point - if you don't like him now, you really wouldn't like him back then (as against eg Mark Millar, who has mostly picked up his flaws as he went along). The oddments which didn't make the later collection are mainly ...more
David Raz
I got this as part of the 2016 Humble Bundle.

As you'd expect from a Miscellany, this includes some excellent stories, e.g. Chivalry, Troll Bridge and Murder Mysteries, some reasonably well written ones, e.g. We Can Get Them for You Wholesale and Babycakes and some... well, juvenillia and miscellaneous.
The biggest problem is that the good stories were already reprinted in Smoke and Mirrors along with some newer, better material, leaving this book mainly for the really enthusiastic. Still, I don't
Deb Medovich
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collections of short stories, essays, poems and...miscellany. There's a little something for just about everyone. (It's amazing to find out how the consumption of alcohol affects the creativity of a writer. Really. Or do I mean funny...) The short stories do what good short stories should do. They kind of leave you hanging and you're never quite sure what just happened. Or what he meant. Or what happens after the stories end. They keep you thinking long after you finish reading them an ...more
Lynn
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite Gaiman short stories are in this collection: Chivalry, Troll-Bridge, The Case of Four & Twenty Blackbirds, We Can Get Them For You Wholesale, & Murder Mysteries. There are other stories, as well as a few poems & essays as well. These are earlier works, from the 90s. They're incredibly diverse & incredibly creepy for the most part (except the ones that are silly or sad or unfathomable or all of the above).

My sister mostly reads ridiculously huge classics (Les
Tina Edwards
This is Neil Gaiman's first short story collection. It's out of print. It took me forever to get a copy off ebay. They generally get pretty expensive. I lucked out on this one. It didn't get to high. Honestly, his second collection, Smoke And Mirrors is much better. The best of the stories from this book are reprinted in Smoke And Mirrors. So, unless you just want to collect all of his books like I do I don't suggest paying the expensive prices to track this one down. If you come across it at a ...more
Trin
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very early Neil Gaiman collection, that I think is kind of hard to get now. Most of the short stories have since been reprinted, many of them in Smoke and Mirrors, but what makes this volume cool is that it also contains a few examples of Gaiman's journalism, including a book review he wrote after he lost the book. He mostly ends up talking about peeing in styrofoam cups and elephant come, I believe. A treasure.
Jack Ziegler
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I not quite as much as the other Neil Gaiman short story books I have read. Maybe it was that I was reading this one rather than having Neil read it to me. I did my best to hear his voice, but it wasn't always easy. Also, I think that I like his short stories more than the poems and non-fiction pieces in this book. It felt like the others I have listened to had more of these.
Mitch Allan
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a collection of some really odd works - some fantastic, some not so. I would definitely recommend for any Gaiman fan. Might bit too weird or bitty for someone unfamiliar with his work beforehand, though. Really enjoyable, had some absolute crackers, and stories that will stay with me for a long time. His introduction, explaining how each work came about, and how he feels about them now, is a great addition.
« previous 1 3 next »
Signature Pages? 1 7 Aug 23, 2008 08:10AM

• Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Bleeding Shadows
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Tenth Annual Collection
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • The Empire of Ice Cream
  • The Sandman Companion
  • The Book of Ballads
  • The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances
  • Forms of Heaven: Three Plays by Clive Barker
  • Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...]
  • Moonlight and Vines (Newford, #6)

Neil Gaiman Rarities: Humble Bundle (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff