Start by marking “The Friday Edition (Samantha Church, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Friday Edition (Samantha Church, #1)

The Friday Edition

(Samantha Church Mystery #1)

Christmas is coming to Denver, Colorado, but it isn’t only snow that’s falling.

A beautiful young woman, who also happens to be a Truman County Assistant DA, tumbles from her apartment balcony to her death on Christmas Eve.

The incident is ruled a suicide, but the DA’s sister, newspaper reporter Samantha Church, isn’t buying it.

Feverishly Samantha throws herself into finding
Published December 13th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Friday Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friday Edition

Start your review of The Friday Edition (Samantha Church, #1)
Sue
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of "The Friday Edition" by Betta Ferrendelli in exchange for an honest review. This is a classic whodunit mystery murder with rich characters that keep the reader engaged in the story right to the end. I especially like even though we are given short glimpses of the killer activity, we are kept in the dark right until the end, so that the reader can try to piece together this mystery, and determine the identity of the killer.

A young woman, Robin Marino, a Truman County Assista
Lili  Marcus
I’m a fan of this genre. I grew up reading this genre. I think I couldn’t help it because the first ever book, full novel, I’ve ever read is written by John Grisham but then in the past few years, my love for mysteries, crime and suspense wane. Why am I telling you this? Well, because I want you to know that this year, I’m trying to fall in love with this genre again and that I AM SO GLAD, I am part of this blog tour.

The Friday Edition is one of those classic whodunnit mysteries that makes you h
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Marines are Marines. They are NOT soldiers. Soldiers are Army. For the love of Chesty Puller, this is the hill I will die on. For fuck's sake!

DNF @56%

Book source ~ Tour

Assistant DA Robin Church commits suicide according to police. Her sister, Samantha Church, isn’t buying it. Since Sam works for a newspaper she decides to investigate on her own since the police aren’t doing dick about it.

I tried with this one. I really did. I kept reading long past the time I should have tossed in the towel. The
allieereads
This book considers many themes, most incredibly hardhitting. Alcoholism is a significant aspect of this book as Samantha is at a real low point. Her daughter has been taken away from her, she feels like she’s drowning and her ex-husband is being his typical self – that is, kind of an asshole. It is at this point in which she’s told that her sister committed suicide, but Sam is completely against that conviction. She knew that her sister would never do that; not to herself but also, not to Sam. ...more
MzBrooklynJayReviews
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Friday Edition by Betta Ferrendelli is my first real mystery novel, I listened to the audiobook and wasn’t disappointed in the story one bit.

The main character Samantha Church, is a woman burdened by the heartache and pain of deep emotional scars. The sudden and unexpected death of her sister Robin on Christmas forces her to face her demons.

Loaded with more problems than solutions, more questions than answers and enemies too close for comfort Samantha tries to solve what she believes to be
Elizabeth Tabler
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alcoholism is a specter that wraps itself around you like a scarf. You can't see it, your neighbor, nor family can't see it, but it is there. It affects everything you do, the actions you have with your families, and who you are at your core. Samantha Church knows this. The specter of alcoholism has been a big part of her family's life. But now she needs to face this specter and her inner demons if she is going to solve this case and, in the end, save herself.

On Christmas Eve in Denver, Colorad
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
After some heavy thrillers I was pleased for a lighter mystery and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one.

As a first of several books in a series, The Friday Edition spends a lot of time developing the main protagonist - Samantha Church and delving into her past and current state of affairs.  Readers get an insightful look into her family history and why she has the issues she does.  For me this is great way to being a new series as to become invested in a series, a reader needs to know and hav
Pankaj Goyal
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Samantha Chruch is a woman who led a wretched life for years. She is a woman whose true position in her own family was just a lust-satisfying machine for over-sexed father resulting into the losing of her own self-worth. While the death of her father was one of the happiest moments of her life, the deep marks left on her mind by her father are still fresh in her mind. This has not only affected her life but also her psychology. It is her mind and soul which have really suffered far greater damag ...more
Rebecca Hill
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, mystery
The Friday Edition was a really interesting read. At first, you are going to hate the main character, as there is nothing redeeming about her. She is an alcoholic, divorced, forgetting about her child at times, and completely wallowing in self-pity. When her sister is murdered, her perfect sister, she is not sure what to think. Many seem to think it was suicide, but Samantha knows better. Her sister might have been down at times, but this was not the time of year that she would consider killing ...more
James Sorensen
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book as part of the Goodreads First-Read program.

Samantha Church is a functioning alcoholic, but just barely. She has lost her husband and custody of her daughter April and her job at the Denver Post. She is now a struggling reporter at a local community newspaper the "Grandview Gazette". The editor, Nick Weeks, doesn't like her, but publisher Wilson Coles is a supporter.

On Christmas Eve Samantha's sister Robin, a local District Attorney, commits suicide by jumping from the balcony o
Carol  MacInnis
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Samantha ('Sam') Church, a reporter with the Grandview Perspective, lost her only daughter, April, to her ex-husband Jonathan, a detective with the Grandview Police Department, in a custody battle due to Sam's alcoholism. One morning after another night of heavy drinking, Sam's ex came banging on her apartment door to tell her of her sister Robin's death by apparent suicide from a fall off her balcony while intoxicated. Sam's sister had not had a drink in over a year since joining AA. Even thoug ...more
Janice Richardson
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-rated
An honest read about an alcoholic reporter. At first, that reporter, Sam, was not endearing. She was annoyingly helpless. But, like all good stories, as it unfolded, Sam grew on me. She was vulnerable and in denial. I liked that many of the supporting characters were also real and honest. Brady, with brain damage, was sweet and gentle and Wilson, her boss. intelligent and compassionate. One finds themselves rooting for them as they expose the criminals. Recommended reading for people who enjoy b ...more
Athornton
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a free read I got on my kindle. Unfortunately, I've had time to kill in waiting rooms and hospitals recently for other people so I picked this to read as a good mystery. It was an easy read and engaging. Not overly deep so it was a perfect fit to my time.
Sifa Poulton
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it

I received a review copy as part of a blog tour. It has not affected my opinions.

A solid mystery, centred around a topical issue that also has time for an in-depth character study, full of warm-hearted characters

CW: alcoholism, suicide, sexual abuse of a minor
Laurie Hanan
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Tony Parsons
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
12/25, Roger (retired military) dropped the Christmas packages & was attending to a woman lying in the snow by Marj.
She had jumped or been pushed from a high room in the building.
The plummeting body had almost hit Marj.
911 had been called/dispatched.
Samantha “Sam” Church (32, wife/mother, Grandview Perspective, former Denver Post newspaper reporter) called Commander Jonathan Church (husband/father, Grandview PD) to let him know the horrible news.
Robin Marino (Sam’s sister, Truman Co. asst. D
Lynda Kelly
Jan 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I only made it 11% into this and I'd already happened across too many mistakes so I packed it in. I'm not sticking with anymore e-books put out in this fashion, however good the story may or may not be. Life's too short.
At the beginning Sam is talking to her ex and he tells he she'd never mentioned hating Christmas before BUT she hadn't till then, either. And I'd also find it hard to believe her ex-husband wouldn't know her family history anyway.
Carat was misspelled as karet twice, then a whole
Sheila
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: zz-kindle
A newspaper reporter tries to deal with her alcoholism and screwed up relationships while investigation police corruption and drug smuggling.
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure what to expect as this was the first time reading a novel by Betta Ferrendelli, but she is an amazing writer. I enjoyed book one of this series and cannot wait to start number two.
Melissa Levine
Aug 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Stephen Donovan
The opening of this book plays out like the beginning of an episode of Law & Order, where two unsuspecting members of the public stumble across a crime or deadly incident which has just taken place. As this gives way for the central plot, it sets up what looked to be an interesting premise. From there, a lot of themes are explored and a feeling of urgency is always close at hand, but ultimately there were multiple aspects of the story that failed to captivate me.

There were some aspects that had
Darina
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My full review available on Facing the Story
The Friday Edition starts daringly as we discover that a woman has died after falling from her apartment's balcony. The authorities are quick to label the incident as a suicide however Samantha Church, who we later discover is the woman's sister, is not convinced. This strong beginning had me immediately hooked and I was eager to learn more.

The author successfully manages to develop Samantha as a protagonist, ambitious and hungry for the truth while fi
Colette
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charles Ray
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
When reporter Samantha Church’s sister Robin plunges to her death the police rule it suicide, but Samantha is not convinced. She’s certain her sister was murdered. When she begins receiving strange text messages to that effect, she’s determined to find out who did it. Her sister, an assistant DA, was working on a big drug smuggling case, and Samantha’s convinced that’s why she was killed. But, in order to find the killer, she has to face a vicious drug cartel as well as her own addiction to alco ...more
Lisa
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was part of a blog tour with the write reads for this book, my review has been delayed for personal reasons.

A solid mystery about an alcoholic reporter who's sister has just committed suicide (or has she??). I thought this book was pretty good. For an indie-published book the writing is solid, it's well-edited and the story is pretty engaging. Certainly engaging enough for me to maintain my interest throughout.

Sam Church is basically a bit of a f**K up. Through her own issues and perhaps sel
Loretta
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple came home to their apartment building and hearing a scream and a body falls from a balcony above. Samantha Church is told that her sister Robin an assistant district attorney committed suicide. It was Christmas eve and Sam does not believe Robin would do this and her sister was sober and not on drugs. Sam is still an alcoholic but will not admit it. Because of this she lost custody of her daughter April. Also lost her good job as a reporter and is now working as a reporter in Grandview ...more
Carole
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a little slow gaining my attention, but was worth reading on. The protagonist, Samantha Church is a reporter whose career is sinking, not in small part to her excessive drinking, but upon the death of her sister which insists was murder not suicide, Samantha begins to investigate. The story becomes much more enjoyable to read from this point forward as it moves to the exciting climax. I enjoyed the book.
Ellen White
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sam following in the pattern of her parents, the bottle. An ex husband who is. raising their daughter April 9 years old. Her sister Robin got clean, and now there are saying she had gone back and couldn’t handle it, and it was a suicide. The pieces didn’t add up, she did it on Christmas and with Bourbon, that would be the last things, Could Sam get her act together to find the pieces of Robins last months, what she was doing. She was a reporter, knew how to get answer, and very well done.
Jeni Wilson
For the first in a series it wasn't too bad but read like a second or third book as there were plotlines that never really got explained, as if the reader should've already read about it. The main character did not seem to have the strength that she was portrayed to have and was actually written as naive and easily manipulated in the ways that she spoke with people without ever really getting the clues together on her own. Not a bad read, but we'll hope the rest of the series is a bit better.
Kathy Robinson
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My name is Samantha and I am an Alcoholic!

Such a sad yet hopeful story. Sam Church is an alcoholic . But not just a drunk, she is a functioning alcoholic!! She can live a somewhat normal life as long as she has a drink . When her sister falls from her balcony , Sam doesn't believe her sister killed herself for several reasons and is. determined to find out what happened. This book has so many twists and turns as Sam investigates
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Rise of Gaia
  • Harrow Lake
  • Kingshold (The Wildfire Cycle #1)
  • Magic Unleashed (Venators, #1)
  • Catalyst (The Catalysts, #2)
  • The Die of Death: The Great Devil War II
  • Family Matters (Gracie Andersen Mystery #1)
  • The Devil's Apprentice (The Great Devil War, #1)
  • 5 ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
  • Murder in the Family (A Hannah Kline Mystery Book 1)
  • Broomsticks and Burials (Magic & Mystery #1)
  • The Wrongful Death (The Great Devil War #3)
  • Lady on the Edge (Brad Frame Mysteries Book 4)
  • A Different Time
  • Calculated Deception (The Calculated, #1)
  • Spellbinding Blend (Paramour Bay #6)
  • Maternal Harbor
  • Rogue Elements (The Gamma Sequence #2)
I have been an award-winning journalist since 1989, having worked at newspapers in Denver, Colorado, Seattle, Washington and Albuquerque, New Mexico.
I am the author of the award-winning and Amazon best-selling Samantha Church Mystery Series, featuring The Friday Edition, Revenge is Sweet, Dead Wrong, Cold Case No. 99-5219 and On the Border, which published in April 2020. I have also written two in

Samantha Church Mystery (4 books)
  • Revenge is Sweet (Samantha Church, #2)
  • Dead Wrong (Samantha Church, #3)
  • Cold Case No. 99-5219 (Samantha Church #4)