Start by marking “Out of the Black” as Want to Read:
Out of the Black

Out of the Black

From bestselling, International Thriller Award-nominated author Rector (Already Gone), a thriller about a man driven to darkness in order to save the light of his life.

After Matt Caine loses his wife in a car accident, all he has left is his daughter, Anna. But just as the little girl—who survived the accident—finally starts thriving, Matt’s former in-laws threaten to tak
Published August 27th 2013 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Black

Kemper
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
(I received a free ARC of this from NetGalley.)

Matt Caine must have crossed a black cat’s path before walking under a ladder and opening an umbrella indoors while breaking a couple of mirrors because he is one unlucky son-of-a-bitch.

His wife was killed in a car crash that badly injured and traumatized their daughter, and Matt had to take out loans against his house to pay the medical bills. When the banks threaten to foreclose, Matt borrows money from his old buddy Murphy who dabbles in loan sha
Richard
Once again John Rector has written a potent thriller that is addictive and enjoyable and guaranteed to keep you turning pages. Following Rector's usual theme of protagonist getting in way over their heads in crime, this novel follows Matt Caine, a recent widower who is struggling with finances and taking care of his daughter on his own. Adding to that, he is in deep to a loan shark gangster that he has a history with. He is approached by a shifty, drug-addicted old buddy with a quick kidnapping ...more
James Thane
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
John Rector has a gift for creating noir stories in which ordinary people find themselves in difficult circumstances and are tempted into making one bad choice which then inevitably backfires, leaving them spiraling down inexorably into catastrophe.

In this case, a former Marine named Matt Caine has survived a tour in Afghanistan only to return to a civilian life that seems to assault him at almost every turn. The economy sucks and he can't find a decent job that will enable him to support his wi
Robert
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you’d like to delve into a modern Shakespearean tragedy where the dead bodies pile up faster than firewood and the inside of an incinerator never sounded so good, then you’ll want to give OUT OF THE BLACK a go. Although it’s all blackness all day long with nary a star in sight. And if you’re looking for a more traditional review, you may want to check out Kemper's take on this novel here. Most of my reviews, shall we say, are a bit more of the untraditional variety. But with writing, you go w ...more
Patrice Hoffman
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Out of the Black by John Rector is one crazy ride. Since the death of Matt Caine's wife, he just never seemed to get his things together. With the threat of losing his house, daughter, and possibly his legs he's agreed to go in on possibly the worse planned kidnapping of a rich woman.

Out of the Black is a first person narrative that moves at an exceptionally fast pace. Given it's length, there's no time to slow down for pesky details. This isn't a bad thing at all and is why I enjoyed this nove
Ray Palen
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! John Rector's OUT OF THE BLACK takes a simple premise, complicates it and then allows it to spin out of control. It's a great ride that is rarely predictable but ultimately very satisfying.

Ex-Marine Matt Caine is not only suffering from PTSD but also the grief over losing his wife in a violent car accident that also badly injured his little daughter, Anna. He is out of work and deeply in debt to a local gangster/bar owner with no way to pay him back. His in-laws are threatenin
Gloria Bernal
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Have to admit it moves along at a good pace. Matt is a good man trying to rectify his bad choices. Circumstances have left him hurting financially. He gets pressured into taking a risk as a driver in a kidnapping plot that “just can't fail,” which predictably does. It just spirals down from that point. It does keep your attention, but could have offered the reader more satisfaction if the character development had been better. Little is mentioned about his time as a Marine in Afghanistan, very s ...more
Ron
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rector delivers another solid quick paced thriller that keeps the reader turning pages.

OUT OF THE BLACK sat on my TBR pile for a couple weeks when I was looking for read to take with me on a recent business trip which would leave me in limbo for about 3 hours during travel. I figured, I'd read parts on each flight, and finish up while holed up in my hotel room. I hit the end before the wheels hit the tarmac. I could not flip pages fast enough.

Rector introduces us to Matt Caine, a Gulf War vet wh
Benoit Lelièvre
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
My favorite Rector, so far. While the stroytelling remains minimalistic and unreliable, Matt Cain is by far, Rector's most original and better defined creation. OUT OF THE BLACK is half-way between the classic thriller and noir and it drags you to the other side of the mirror and into a seemingly quiet working class neighborhood's brutal underworld.

The weak spot in Rector's game always has been characterization and part of that is due to his narrator keeping themselves in present tense. OUT OF
Steven
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-noir, novels
Matt Caine is trying to raise his daughter alone after his wife was killed in a car crash, but he's in debt to his hair roots and has borrowed money from a knee-breaker. When his in-laws seek custody of his daughter he escalates his wrong decisions and throws in with a junkie friend to kidnap the wife of a gangster. From that point on Caine just keeps making mistake after mistake and getting deeper into a morass that seems to offer no way out. Although the opening setup was bit slow for my taste ...more
Naomi
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/1jCcIvX

My opinion: I am a John Rector fan and it is because of this type of writing. Rector weaves a story that one wonders what is real and what is twisted. There was a sense of realness to this book as well. One could honestly see it happen.

One of the things that I loved about this book that normally isn't a favorite of mine is that it is told in first person narrative. It really helped to make the book pop and developed a connection with the narrator (Matt)
Steve Lowe
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Let's call it 3 1/2 stars. If nothing else, Rector knows how to make a narrative hum right along. Imminently readable, solid plot, maybe a little lacking in the characterization. For a first-person narrative, it never felt like the main character was telling this story. Felt sort of detached, and thin, but still a satisfying thriller that will take a couple days to zip through. Of the 3 Rector books I've read, this one might be my least favorite, but again, not a bad book at all. Read it. If you ...more
Kimberly A. Bettes
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book blew me away. There were twists and turns I didn't see coming, and I found myself literally gasping at several points in the story. Plus, I actually caught myself grimacing (for those in the know, I'm referring to the Dash scene--you know the one). This is a fantastic story, and if you're not reading it, you're missing out on a crazy ride. This may be my favorite Rector book so far. Absolutely amazing. Kudos to the author!
Threasa
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Matt Caine has lost his wife in a car accident. His daughter, Anna, was hurt badly in the accident. He had to borrow money from some very bad men, and now he can't pay them back. His in-laws want custody of Anna, so what is he to do? He decides to go along with a plan his friend Jay made, and that is one big mistake. Now, what is Matt going to do?
Brandon Nagel
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another winner from John Rector. A father pushed into making bad decisions due to unusual circumstances. The story is as dark and Noir as it gets. Bad choices lead to a desperate father doing anything to get his daughter back. Quick and action packed highly enjoyable read. Recommended.
Aric Davis
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a biased fan of John's work, but I truly did love this book. I finished the whole thing in just a couple of hours on a flight home yesterday, and I find it hard to believe that anyone who has enjoyed John's work in the past wouldn't dig this too. More bleak fun from a great author.

Brad
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing wrong with this book, but it just okay. Not great, not terrible. Just okay.
It is a thriller, as advertised, but it was never an edge of the seat page turner.

The story follows an ex-marine who is going through hard times, and gets caught up in a "simple" crime job to get some quick cash. His role as driver of the get away car drags him deeper and deeper into a world of crime he did not count on.
Julia
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love John Rector's books and this was as fab as his others but I had to mark it down as it was just too short for my liking. He does tend to throw you straight into the story but I felt like this time I wanted more from it, more tension and build up to the finale. I still loved it but it's not top of my list of his books.
Nicole
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
It was good, not as good as his others. A little too action-y for me. That said, I finished it in one sitting and couldn't stop reading even when I wanted to. Suddenly hours had vanished and I was almost done. I can't wait to read more of his books *w*
Brian Talbot
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-first
Out of the Black was okay. The book was well written, but the storyline was familiar and formulaic. It definitely could of used more originality in the story line to make it more compelling.
Renny Barcelos
Interesting and fast paced but I had some problems with some parts that didn't make much sense. Overall recommended but be prepared to suspend disbelief a lot and pretend you're buying it all.
Rachel
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced. Good story. Kept my interest.
Soapsudslinger
Good story

Good story, lots of action. Will consider reading additional books by this author. Was a book that was hard to put down.
Julie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-library
I wanted to smack him for going along with Jay's plan to start with.
Nicole
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't stop reading!

Good story and was very entertaining. Kept me intrigued and I had to know what would happen next. Definitely recommend.
Marilyn Hiliau
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kudos Mr. Rector on a solid read.

Not my normal genra yet I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Lots of twists and emotions. Not for the faint hearted yet very realistic. Shows a lot of both the good and the bad that lives in most of us.
Niles
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Matt Caine's life is not going well. A former Marine, Matt brings home unwanted baggage from Iraq and Afghanistan in the form of PTSD. Beth, the love of his life, is killed in a tragic traffic accident. His daughter Anna barely survives the same accident and requires multiple surgeries to recover. If that isn't enough, the plant where Matt worked closed, putting him in the unemployment line. After using his savings to pay for Anna's surgeries, the mortgage company is threatening foreclosure. He ...more
Jinky
It was easy to root for Matt, a single father with a seemingly good head on his shoulders. An ex-Marine who recently lost his wife had gotten himself into a bind. With no steady job and bills to pay, he borrowed money from an old friend, Murphy, who happened to be a loan shark. Murphy was slow to insist on his money back but his associates were not so forgiving so goons were sent to bully it out of Matt. Another old buddy of Matt's also came into the picture, Jay, a drug addict. Jay pleaded with ...more
Bames
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Matt Caine is an ex-Marine trying to put his life back together after the death of his wife in an accident. His daughter, Anna, was also hurt in the accident that killed her mother and is just starting to recover from her injuries. Things are tough. Medical bills, mortgage payments, bills, food, and a lot more. Matt is barely able to make ends meet.

At a bar, he meets his old friend Jay who has just gotten out of jail and is a drug addict. Jay is trying to convince him to partner up in a scheme
Luanne Ollivier
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Yes, more crime! It's my favourite genre. John Rector is a crime author I'd not read before and Out of the Black is his latest novel.

Former Marine Matt Caine is struggling with the death of his wife and his daughter Anna's serious injuries from the same accident that killed her mother. With the hospital bills for Anna piling up and no steady job, Matt does what he knows he shouldn't - he goes to the local loan shark for help. With his in-laws threatening to seek custody of Anna and the loan sha
  • Shadow Season
  • Old Gold
  • Zero Saints
  • Hoodtown
  • Toros & Torsos
  • All The Young Warriors (Mustafa and Adem, #1)
  • One Dead Hen
  • The Bastard Hand
  • Out There Bad
  • Stone City
  • Safer
  • Panic Attack
  • Piggyback
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
  • Shotgun Gravy (Atlanta Burns #1.1)
  • The Posthumous Man
  • Pariah
  • Pike
John Rector is the bestselling author of the novels The Ridge, The Cold Kiss, The Grove, Already Gone, Out of the Black, and Ruthless. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and has won several awards, including the International Thriller Award for his novella, Lost Things.

He lives in Omaha, Nebraska.
“There’s only one life,” Carrie said. “Just different chapters.” 0 likes