Start by marking “After the Black Death: A Social History of Early Modern Europe” as Want to Read:
After the Black Death: A Social History of Early Modern Europe

After the Black Death: A Social History of Early Modern Europe

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Praise for the first edition:

To give a sense of immediacy and vividness to the long period in such a short space is a major achievement." --History

Huppert's book is a little masterpiece every teacher should welcome." --Renaissance Quarterly

A work of genuine social history, After the Black Death leads the reader into the real villages and cities of European society. For thi
Paperback, Second Edition, 192 pages
Published May 22nd 1998 by Indiana University Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about After the Black Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Black Death

David Nichols
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The eye-catching title of this 1985 social history begins with a misleading preposition, “after.” Huppert explains that bubonic plague and depopulation remained recurring threats to Europe throughout the period (1347-1720) he studies. As Le Roy Ladurie observed, this was an era of stasis in Europe, of halting progress and frustrated ambition. Most Europeans lived in highly conservative rural villages, whose denizens carefully controlled their resources and populations. Few could imagine change a ...more
Patrick Nichols
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Delightful account of beneficial effects of a post-apocalypse. The chapter that stayed with me discussed the surprising level of equality women enjoyed even in the late Medieval period - in some regards the past was vastly more egalitarian than we suppose.
Maggie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
best history book I have ever read! loved understanding the complexity of human beings during this time period.
Sharon
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, history
This was a decent study, but flawed because of the many generalizations it makes. It is difficult to make claims about the entirety of Europe, as there were myriad differences. However, Huppert does a good job in recognizing overarching trends. This is a good introduction to the time period.

As a side note, this is a poor title for the book. Very misleading. The Black Death is only mentioned twice, and very briefly at that. Going into it, I thought that this would analyze the effects of the Blac
Mothwing
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I particularly enjoyed two chapters. One on the organisation and structure of early modern city communes, which made sense intuitively but which I had never thought about. The second was the chapter on marriage and family in early modern Europe, which paints quite a different picture than the one I was used to about core families and family structures as well as the autonomy of women back in the day.

Of course, since the book spans hundreds of years and various different countries it is only an
Jessica
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
OK, confession: this guy was one of my favorite professors, so I really enjoyed the book. Helps a lot that this is one of my favorite topics. However, apparently it isn't entirely accurate, as I've heard from historian grad students. Still, this professor is highly respected and an amusing individual. Good read, but be open to what others might have to say about it.
Tiffany
Oct 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: misc-stuff
This was one I had to read for my Renaissance and Reform class. It's pretty good if you are interested in that sort of thing. I wouldn't recommend it as a "settle into to a candle-lit bubble bath with a glass of wine" book, but it's interesting as a historical book.
Jackson Cyril
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Huppert's book serves as a fine introduction to the social conditions of Europe after 1347; but it is just that, an introduction. If one wants a more thorough study of the period-- and why shouldn't one ?-- one should be prepared to work through his bibliography.
Carrie
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Black Death is a fascinating topic in history and the foci of many books. But what about the aftermath of the Black Death? Huppert discusses the aftermath of the plague, offering a succinct social history that is interesting and informative.
CAPANNA DURMONT
Ho registrato un libro su BookCrossing.com!
Melinda
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not only did I read this book, I had the pleasure of taking Prof. Huppert's class. This book deepened my love of European history.
Lauren Meehan
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Pre course reading for AP European History before my senior year in high school. Dense.
Remington Krueger
Jul 26, 2014
Melissa
Jul 09, 2008
Cocconauta
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2012
  • Russia and the Golden Horde: The Mongol Impact on Medieval Russian History
  • The Irish Famine
  • Witch Craze: Terror and Fantasy in Baroque Germany
  • Letter to a Priest
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • A Social History of Knowledge: From Gutenberg to Diderot, Based on the First Series of Vonhoff Lectures Given at the University of Groningen (Netherlands)
  • The Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West