Start by marking “Miserere” as Want to Read:
Miserere

Miserere

1968 – a year of upheaval for the nation and for the Mitchell family. When her father goes MIA in Vietnam, ten-year-old Connemara and her family move to West Virginia and into her mother’s ancestral home – a neglected house whose walls hold old secrets of forbidden love and knowledge of things best forgotten.
For reasons she does not yet understand, Conn is chosen as the o
Published December 4th 2012 by Corgyn Publishing (first published November 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Miserere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miserere

Start your review of Miserere
JulesGP
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Mitchell gets the worst possible visit that a military family can get, two marines at her door in their dress blues, informing her that her husband’s plane was shot down somewhere in Vietnam. It’s 1968, a volatile time in American history, the day after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. and a few months prior to the murder of Robert Kennedy. And of course, the Vietnam War is at its peak. Times of protests and riots. Elizabeth decides home is the best place to be so she and h ...more
Jude in the Stars
Why do I keep forgetting how much I love Caren Werlinger’s books? They have this subtle beauty, you start reading and after a while, without realizing it, you’re not reading anymore, you’re in there, in the story. This is the 3rd or 4th book I read by CW, and it’s just as beautifully written, as captivating as the previous ones. 5*, no hesitation.
T.T. Thomas
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caren Werlinger has written a masterful and gorgeous story in Miserere. Like the other reviewers, I could not put this book down. The story is about redemption in unlikely places among people related by blood or historical proximity to one another against a backdrop of the travesties committed in Ireland during the potato famine and in American during the last years of legalized slavery and, again in America, during the late 1960s. The juxtaposition of the Irish problem with that of the slaves a ...more
Bib
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book classified under lesbian fiction which I thought will fit better under racial issues. Miserere is nevertheless a good and enjoyable read for me, it seems all books by Caren Werlinger is a seal of quality. Miserere is a story told from the eyes of a 11 year old Conn, reliving the life of her ancestor vicariously through dreams she is having. Sounds incredible, but tale is well told by the author, and keeps the reader hanging on till the very end.
Barrett
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Caren J. Werlinger is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favorite writers.
I read “In This Small Spot” a couple of months ago and was carried away by the rich intricately woven story, which stayed with me for weeks.
Yesterday, I finished “Miserere” and once again found myself captivated by an incredible historical piece that was carefully crafted around some dark historical times and imbued with tantalizing mystery.
The characters are complex and authentic and her descriptions vivid. I was compe
Elaine Burnes
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
I like the story, I like the juxtaposition of the past with the present. The characters are all very likeable (or not likeable, as they should be). This is different. Not your average lesfic. I like that it had romance without being a Romance. It has elements of coming out/coming of age, but doesn’t focus solely on that. I am curious to read more by this author.

The story of Caitriona and Orla in the past is quite compelling and well done. The switch from past to present was not jarring. I was co
Mary Maddox
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In MISERERE Caren J. Werlinger has written an historical novel that weaves together narratives from two periods: the mid-1960s dominated by the Civil Rights Movement and the mid-1800s that saw the Civil War and the end of legalized slavery in America. The story centers on the descendants of Caitríona Ní Faolain, an Irish girl brought to America as an indentured servant.

One descendant in particular, eleven-year-old Connemara Mitchell, carries a heavy burden. Only she can lift a curse that began w
Maria Ciletti
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story! Gone with the Wind meets Fried Green Tomatoes.
Ulla
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A really interesting story, a wonderful read!
Alealea
Jul 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-f, historical
It's two stories merge in one dealing with racism at two period of America's history :
> just before the Civil War
> in the sixties
So you jump from one storyline to the other. It's not badly done but I usually find those jarring, because when you get into one set of characters you're pulled of and ask to switch to the other.

It's really not an easy read, treating hard subject seriously though I was sometimes jolted out by characters speaking with too-much clarity on the high consequence of the con
Petrina Binney
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The story follows Irish sisters, Orla and Catríona, who are sold into human bondage by their father in exchange for land, and sent to a plantation in Virginia, shortly after the Irish potato famine.

Meanwhile, young Connemara is growing up in 1968. When her father goes MIA in Vietnam, Conn, her brother and mother, up stakes to go to the old family homestead in West Virginia. As the story unfolds, Conn becomes more and more connected to her ancestor, Catríona Ní Faolain, and the curse that has hau
Elke Lakey
Jul 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
More novel than romance, 'Miserere' really captivated me. It's been a while since I read it (Sorry, Caren Werlinger, but I only just now got around to reviewing it) and I don't remember all the details of the story now, but I do remember that I thought, wow, this author is good, I want to read more by her.

All in all, Caren Werlinger delivers LGBT history in one of the most alluring packages I've so far encountered. Check it out, you will not regret it!
Linda
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has a bit of everything... history, mystery, ghosts... great read, great build to the conclusion. I’ve enjoyed all of Caren’s work that I’ve read, and will continue to read for as long as she chooses to share it with us. Definitely 5 stars for me.
Joyce
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book

I have read many of Caren's books and have enjoyed them all. Her book's touch my heart. The characters are very well developed and likable. All I can say is this was one of the best books I have read. Thanks for another winner.
Michelle Van
Jul 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story

I loved the generational nature of this story. It was also a great look at some history I wasn't aware of and how the impact of trauma affects families through generations. It was beautifully told with past and present beautifully woven together. Loved it.
Sally A. Fayter
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I don't write review 's because they don't usually reflect the true value of the book. This was a great story ,well written with a very unique story line . I highly recamend but, what do I know?
Claire
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

I greatly enjoyed this story. I recommend this book to all and hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I did.
Marilyn Langlois
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully written story of two girls growing up generations apart blew me away! One of my new favorites!
Sohna Ravindran
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a giveaway from First Reads.

I really liked this book. I thought it was a real page turner and I was quite invested in the characters' lives . The only reason I'm knocking a star off is because I thought the curse was left a bit unexplained. I'm not sure if I misread it, but it seemed like the ending didn't quite match up with what we were told about the curse earlier.

Other than that, great book. :)
susan
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first historical book

I couldn't have picked a better to start reading in this genre. The storyline and characters were all written beautifully. I was so drawn into the story from the beginning. I cried a lot while reading this one but was warmed by the friendships and family relationships in it.
Kaitlyn
I really enjoyed this. I love historical fiction and stories linked through time. It was well paced and written, grabbing me in a way that all the best books do. I was with Conn unfolding the mystery while I was working kinks out of my clients (massage therapy is a great profession for daydreamers ;)Read this book!
Elisa Rolle
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2013 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Alicia
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and multilayered story. The characters had depth and personality, the author made you care about all of them. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Genny
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tied the lives of two people from different time periods together very nicely.
Trish

• Breaking Character
  • A Roll in the Hay
  • The Setup
  • Full English
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet, #1)
  • The Goodmans
  • The Roommate Arrangement
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
  • Scarlet (The Robyn Hood Adventures Book 2)
  • Just for Show
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Deal with the Devil (Cain Casey, #3)
  • The Devil Be Damned (Cain Casey, #4)
  • Stay with Me
  • Change of Pace (Portland Police Bureau, #2.5)
  • Mason's Missing (A Tuper Mystery Book 1)
  • A Matter of Blood (Chiara Corelli Mystery, #1)
From the author's website: Bestselling author Caren Werlinger published her first award-winning novel, Looking Through Windows, in 2008. Since then, she has published fifteen more novels, winning several more awards. Influenced by a diverse array of authors, including Rumer Godden, J.R.R. Tolkein, Ursula LeGuin, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Willa Cather and the Brontë sisters, Caren writes literary fict ...more