Start by marking “Miserere” as Want to Read:
Miserere

Miserere

1968 – a year of upheaval for the nation and for the Mitchell family. When her father goes MIA in Vietnam, ten-year-old Connemara and her family move to West Virginia and into her mother’s ancestral home – a neglected house whose walls hold old secrets of forbidden love and knowledge of things best forgotten.
For reasons she does not yet understand, Conn is chosen as the o
Published December 4th 2012 by Corgyn Publishing (first published November 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Miserere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miserere

T.T. Thomas
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caren Werlinger has written a masterful and gorgeous story in Miserere. Like the other reviewers, I could not put this book down. The story is about redemption in unlikely places among people related by blood or historical proximity to one another against a backdrop of the travesties committed in Ireland during the potato famine and in American during the last years of legalized slavery and, again in America, during the late 1960s. The juxtaposition of the Irish problem with that of the slaves a ...more
Barrett
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Caren J. Werlinger is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favorite writers.
I read “In This Small Spot” a couple of months ago and was carried away by the rich intricately woven story, which stayed with me for weeks.
Yesterday, I finished “Miserere” and once again found myself captivated by an incredible historical piece that was carefully crafted around some dark historical times and imbued with tantalizing mystery.
The characters are complex and authentic and her descriptions vivid. I was compe
Bib
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book classified under lesbian fiction which I thought will fit better under racial issues. Miserere is nevertheless a good and enjoyable read for me, it seems all books by Caren Werlinger is a seal of quality. Miserere is a story told from the eyes of a 11 year old Conn, reliving the life of her ancestor vicariously through dreams she is having. Sounds incredible, but tale is well told by the author, and keeps the reader hanging on till the very end.
Elaine Burnes
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
I like the story, I like the juxtaposition of the past with the present. The characters are all very likeable (or not likeable, as they should be). This is different. Not your average lesfic. I like that it had romance without being a Romance. It has elements of coming out/coming of age, but doesn’t focus solely on that. I am curious to read more by this author.

The story of Caitriona and Orla in the past is quite compelling and well done. The switch from past to present was not jarring. I was co
Mary Maddox
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In MISERERE Caren J. Werlinger has written an historical novel that weaves together narratives from two periods: the mid-1960s dominated by the Civil Rights Movement and the mid-1800s that saw the Civil War and the end of legalized slavery in America. The story centers on the descendants of Caitríona Ní Faolain, an Irish girl brought to America as an indentured servant.

One descendant in particular, eleven-year-old Connemara Mitchell, carries a heavy burden. Only she can lift a curse that began w
Maria Ciletti
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story! Gone with the Wind meets Fried Green Tomatoes.
Linda
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has a bit of everything... history, mystery, ghosts... great read, great build to the conclusion. I’ve enjoyed all of Caren’s work that I’ve read, and will continue to read for as long as she chooses to share it with us. Definitely 5 stars for me.
Sohna Ravindran
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a giveaway from First Reads.

I really liked this book. I thought it was a real page turner and I was quite invested in the characters' lives . The only reason I'm knocking a star off is because I thought the curse was left a bit unexplained. I'm not sure if I misread it, but it seemed like the ending didn't quite match up with what we were told about the curse earlier.

Other than that, great book. :)
susan
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first historical book

I couldn't have picked a better to start reading in this genre. The storyline and characters were all written beautifully. I was so drawn into the story from the beginning. I cried a lot while reading this one but was warmed by the friendships and family relationships in it.
Kaitlyn
I really enjoyed this. I love historical fiction and stories linked through time. It was well paced and written, grabbing me in a way that all the best books do. I was with Conn unfolding the mystery while I was working kinks out of my clients (massage therapy is a great profession for daydreamers ;)Read this book!
Elisa Rolle
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2013 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Alicia
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and multilayered story. The characters had depth and personality, the author made you care about all of them. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Ulla
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting story, a wonderful read!
Genny
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tied the lives of two people from different time periods together very nicely.
Trish
Cathi
Mar 12, 2018
Lolly
Sep 28, 2014
  • Forever Hold His Peace (The Crofton Chronicles #3)
  • Easy Ryder
  • The Celestial
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Aftermath
  • Letters Never Sent
  • A Breach of Promise (The Rules of Engagement #1)
  • Before It Stains
  • From the Boots Up
  • No Rules of Engagement
  • The River Within
  • In Deep Waters: Cruising the Seas
  • Destiny's Bastard
  • Hancock Park (Kate Delafield, #8)
  • Precious Jade
  • Magic and the Pagan
  • Alix & Valerie
  • A Question of Ghosts
From the author's website: Caren was raised in Ohio, the oldest of four children. Much of her childhood was spent reading every book she could get her hands on, and crafting her own stories. She was influenced by a diverse array of authors, including Rumer Godden, J.R.R. Tolkien, Ursula Le Guin, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Willa Cather, and the Brontë sisters. She has lived in Virginia for over twenty- ...more