Start by marking “Journey toward Justice: Personal Encounters in the Global South” as Want to Read:
Journey toward Justice: Personal Encounters in the Global South

Journey toward Justice: Personal Encounters in the Global South

(Turning South: Christian Scholars in an Age of World Christianity)

Christianity's demographics, vitality, and influence have tipped markedly toward the global South and East. Addressing this seismic shift, one of today's leading Christian scholars reflects on what he has learned about justice through his encounters with world Christianity.

Philosopher Nicholas Wolterstorff's experiences in South Africa, the Middle East, and Honduras have s
Published November 5th 2013 by Baker Academic (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Journey toward Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey toward Justice

Start your review of Journey toward Justice: Personal Encounters in the Global South
Bob
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that sparkles with clear thinking and a personal narrative that helped inform and shape that thinking. Wolterstorff continues in this book to elaborate thinking outlined in Justice: Rights and Wrongs. In short chapters he shares both his own ideas about justice and the personal encounters with victims of injustice in South Africa, Palestine, and the Honduras. And he contends that it was the personal encounters with those whose dignity was impaired and whose inherent rights were de ...more
Phil Aud
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This was my first first-hand encounter with Wolterstorff’s work. I have seen him quoted in many books but was glad to finally read him for myself. While this book is part of Baker’s academic branch, it is a good mixture of memoir meets academy. Wolterstorff doesn’t shy away from addressing the philosophy of justice–dealing with such concepts as: reactive and primary rights (and justice), permission-rights and claim rights, inherent rights concepts and right order concepts, etc. I found his chapt ...more
Tim Hoiland
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, faith
I’ve learned a lot from the philosopher Nicholas Wolterstorff. From him I was given new language to think and speak about the relationship between liturgy and justice. I was so floored by his classic When Justice and Peace Embrace that I reviewed it in not one, not two, but three installments. And I love that even as a long-time Ivy League professor now in his 70s, he continues to take an active interest in what his theories of justice actually mean in practice. This commitment become evident to ...more
Kyle Rapinchuk
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wolterstorff sets forth a compelling case for justice, our responsibility for righting injustice, and how it is rooted in inherent rights as humans who are loved by God. This book incorporates material from his other works (cf. Justice: Rights and Wrongs), summarizing the conclusions from those works in more accessible language and coupled with illustrative stories of South Africa, Palestine, and Honduras.
Tim and Popie Stafford
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read Wolterstorff's two scholarly books on justice, and I wish I had read this instead. He goes through most of his theory in a less pedantic way (tho it still does get fairly pedantic---he is a professional philosopher, after all, can't help it). And he adds some biographical information about how he encountered cries of injustice in the developing world and became highly involved in justice concerns.
Ashley Darkenwald
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Journey toward Justice is a tough, but fantastic book! I feel as though I am chewing on beef jerky through some of the realities of Christianity (and our view of Christianity) around the world. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in reading and pondering stories about the Global South.
Bryan Clark
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
it was a good book but not a book i couldn't put down ....all and all a good one to read before bed
Stedwards
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: phd
Personal reflection from a philosopher - better than expected. accessible, may assign in future.
Matt Manry
Great book. My review at the Journal of Global Christianity - http://trainingleadersinternational.o... ...more
Rick
Mar 29, 2014 added it
an important study on justice and injustice.
Duane Heeringa
Dec 15, 2019
Greg Clements
Apr 11, 2018
Gordon Scrimgeour
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This seems to ignore a lot of the previous philosophy and theology.
It appears to be provoked by personal experience with people who have experienced injustice.
Chola Mukanga
Jan 08, 2015
Baker Academic: My review of Journey Toward Justice 1 14 Jan 06, 2014 05:45PM

• Earth Abides
  • Justice: Rights and Wrongs
  • Necroscope: The Touch (Necroscope, #14)
  • Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling
  • Lost and Wanted
  • The Last Stone
  • The Mighty and the Almighty: An Essay in Political Theology
  • Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences
  • The Economists' Hour: False Prophets, Free Markets, and the Fracture of Society
  • Howards End
  • Motherless Brooklyn
Nicholas P. Wolterstorff (PhD, Harvard University) is Noah Porter Professor Emeritus of Philosophical Theology at Yale University and senior fellow at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture, University of Virginia. He is the author of numerous books, including Justice: Rights and Wrongs, Justice in Love, Lament for a Son, and Educating for Life. He lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Turning South: Christian Scholars in an Age of World Christianity (3 books)
  • Reading a Different Story: A Christian Scholar's Journey from America to Africa (Turning South: Christian Scholars in an Age of World Christianity)
  • From Every Tribe and Nation: A Historian's Discovery of the Global Christian Story (Turning South: Christian Scholars in an Age of World Christianity)

News & Interviews