Start by marking “Dream Plants for the Natural Garden” as Want to Read:
Dream Plants for the Natural Garden

Dream Plants for the Natural Garden

Join two of the world’s most influential garden designers, Piet Oudolf and Henk Gerritsen, as they describe their ideal perennials, bulbs, grasses, ferns and small shrubs for your natural garden. This comprehensive compendium classifies these 1200 plants according to their behaviour, strengths and uses.

An ideal plant is one that is both beautiful and robust, performing
Published December 1st 2013 by Frances Lincoln (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Plants for the Natural Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Plants for the Natural Garden

Start your review of Dream Plants for the Natural Garden
Mir
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-and-garden
This was definitely intended for someone with more gardening experience, a different type of space, and a vision of the end result already in place. I can't even say I really "read" all of it, as after the introductory section it is mostly long lists of different types of plants, organized thematically (self-seeding, grasses, etc). I was looking for something more like advice on how to plan the garden in the first place, and then how to know which plants would work together. This would be a good ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to treat the special gardener in your life to something special? If you're looking for a great gift book, this book would be absolutely perfect. This book is full of great information about all sorts of plants. There's information about various plants and ideas on how to mix the plants to create something really gorgeous.

This summer was the first summer that I could have a garden since I finally have space to go wild with plants! I had a lot of fun gardening this spring and summer
Ann
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening

The all-time best gardening book. This book was named correctly - you can dream for hours. The cover alone sells it. My copy is ragged, but every time I go to it, I get excited by plants. I took my well-read copy on a cross-country airplane trip and it lasted me the whole way. I love the way it is organized. Every gardener had fallen in love with a soap bubble plant at some time (lovely, impractical, short-lived). I have found the plant information to be very accurate. Can you tell? I love, love
Skyler
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative and witty and features my favourite gardening style.
Carmen
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: house-gardening
An outstanding resource of over 1200 plants. How to combine them, what terrain they need, and their sizes and colors. Extra material is how to extend the season, shrubs, perennials, bulbs and self seeding plants. I'm thinking I should have known about the " troublesome" plants I planted, goldenrod. But I enjoy the late blooming of goldenrod.
Jen
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely book arranged unconventionally with different species of the same genus in separate sections depending on how reliable they are. So, it's a little quirky. Make good use of the index and read all the insets to find its value.
Denise Gualtiere
Lots of nice photos of plants. Not enough information about preferred growing conditions. Many of the plants listed are not readily available in the United States.
Red
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature
This book made me completely go into gardening. It was not after some years (today) that I saw one of his gardens. And I was not impressed. How can that be. But it doesn't matter. He inspired me with this book a lot.
Linda
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: Vittoria
Shelves: plant-lust
Plant Lust! Plain and simple.
Joanna
Jacquelyn S Rees
Nov 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Planting: A New Perspective
  • Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes
  • Gardens Are For Living: Designing Outdoor Spaces to Gather, Cook, Play, and Relax
  • Grasses: Versatile Partners for Uncommon Garden Design
  • Lonely Planet New York City
  • Meadows at Great Dixter and Beyond
  • "Green and Black's" Chocolate Recipes
  • Led by the Land: Landscapes by Kim Wilkie
  • And So It Begins (Stephanie King #1)
  • The Black Monday Murders, Vol. 2
  • Northeast Home Landscaping: Including Southeast Canada
  • Liartown: The First Four Years 2013-2017
  • East of West, Vol. 9
World-famous landscape designer Piet Oudolf is principal of a small landscape design firm in Hummelo in the eastern part of The Netherlands. He has designed award-winning public and private gardens in Holland, Germany, Sweden, Britain, Ireland, Canada, and the U.S. "