Start by marking “One-Dish Vegan: More than 150 Soul-Satisfying Recipes for Easy and Delicious One-Bowl and One-Plate Dinners” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Published September 10th 2013 by Harvard Common Press

To ask other readers questions about One-Dish Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One-Dish Vegan

Lisa Vegan
This is one I wish I could own, and I might borrow it again. I often make one dish meals, sometimes eating them with a grain such as quinoa or brown rice, but often making a full meal in a single pot. This book gave me some great ideas, and quite a few of the recipes look worth making. I really like the international flavor. In many recipes there are many ingredients I’d want to substitute or change. The lack of photos is the main reason why it gets only 4 stars from me. The only photos are sing ...more
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love eating vegetarian/vegan, but I still struggle with coming up with enticing entrees off the top of my head. For this, I normally turn to cookbooks, like Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family or How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I've tried many other vegetarian/vegan cookbooks, but find many to be uninspired. This book, however, is up there with the magic that is Burton and Bittman!

So far, we have made:
1) Thai Peanut Bowl with Tofu and
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
If people are programmed to eat with their eyes first, why do some cookbooks not have pictures? That has always been a confusion to me. Give me big glossy pictures and I am more likely to purchase the cookbook and attempt the meals in hope that they come out looking and tasting the way they were intended. Cookbook authors put in a great deal of work into getting a final product out so give the reader pictures; let us see what they have strived so hard for.

OK, that rant is over, but now we are on
Cynthia Corral
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I originally gave this just four stars and I'm not sure why - perhaps because there are no pictures. However, I've been cooking my way through this, have made several of the soups and chilis, and it is just outstanding. Every dish has been delicious. The BBQ sauce was indeed 5 minutes and amazing, and the "healthy butter" is better than I ever could have imagined. I just finished the Greek spinach and rice dish, and discovered that white beans are fabulous. Now I'm in the middle of the Tuscan be ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I've made about two dozen recipes from this book, and they are all super easy and super tasty. Because you are often cooking the grain in the pot with everything else, there are some longer cook times, but a lot of it is inactive.

The only hitch I ran into was cooking brown rice in the same pot as the rest of the food. Brown rice takes a million years to cook, so I never really got it 100% cooked. In the future, I would just cook the rice separately to make things easier. But cooking quinoa in th
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbook
There are so many delicious-sounding recipes in this book that I wanted to love it, especially when "One-bowl" and "One-Plate" are in the title; I'm always looking for easy, make-after-work recipes. But unfortunately, these recipes are not that accessible; there is always just one extra ingredient that I would never have on hand, like liquid smoke, or there are odd mixes of spices and vegetables that I would not have just sitting around. If you're willing to work hard for your "One-bowl" dishes, ...more
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another book I adopted from the break room ARC cart awhile back. Someone else had clearly taken it home for awhile (this came out in 2013), and a few recipes had dog-eared pages (shocking for someone who works in a library, the shame! J/k, I used to do that alllll the time), but I couldn't tell if whoever had it before me made anything from it or not (if it was someone I'm friends with on here, tell me what you made and if you liked it!). Anyway, I'm totally thankful to whoever didn't wa ...more
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a very realistic cookbook. satisfying meals that don't call for obscure or expensive ingredients. great for families. even our picky eaters liked recipes from this book. I love the Test Kitchen veggie book but I'm sorry the prep work takes soooooooooo loooooong - this one will save you some time.

I thought some of the odder ingredients were acceptable since they were nonperishables or frozen - no, I don't use okra every day, but it's fine to get it frozen and it lasts a long time.
Rachel Vryhof
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tons of great recipes! Robin takes great pains to explain the nuances behind what "one dish" really means, but these recipes make for great family meals; good basic recipes that anyone would love. Definitely one to add to a cookbook shelf for frequent use!
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
The title is a little misleading, since technically any number of dishes you can fit on one plate could be considered a "one-plate dinner". For example, I'm not sure how pizza fits into this. I was expecting simple recipes that only dirty one pot or pan (because honestly I'm that lazy), so making pizza starting with the dough seemed like way too much work. I'd rather just chop the veggies and tofu and throw everything into the pot with rice and cook it up and voila: a true one-dish meal.

And mos
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite vegan cookbooks. I've had a lot of vegan cookbooks over the years, and favorite recipes from each one, but usually I pick a handful of recipes from each that I love. This is possible the first cookbook that I've wanted to try almost all of the recipes. So far I've made Spicy Soba Salad with Edamame and Cucumber, Hoppin' John with Kale, Jamaican Jerk Tempeh and Vegetables, Couscous with Edamame and Chickpeas, Thai Peanut Bowl with Tofu and Asparagus (but I used ...more
Samantha Arias
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Another good Robin Robertson cook book. Had a range of recipes in it. Gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because a lot of the recipes seemed pretty close to one another. They had but a difference on one or two ingredients. Plus it was very bean heavy. I love beans and all but mix it up a bit. Other than that, I got a bunch of useful recipes to incorporate.
Sheri Beth Scovil
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Has a lot of great, high protein, heart healthy recipes. Including substitutions for oil. A lot of the recipes look complicated, but I'm considering purchasing the book. I checked it out from my pubic library.
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
There are a lot of very diverse recipes in here, but many call for a food processor, so while they're simple recipes they require a fair number of gadgets you may not necessarily own. No photos and no dessert recipes.
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan, cookbooks
This looks like a great cookbook. There are lots of easy recipes that I can't wait to try. I love chilies, curries, soups, and casseroles, because they are easy and simple to make. I wish this cookbook had pictures, but I knew it didn't before I purchased it, so it's okay.
Susana Cunha
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, vegan-food
Tem receitas muito boas e simples de se fazer. Já fiz várias e ficaram sempre bem. Só não dou 5 estrelas porque o livro não tem fotografias.
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Several recipes I'd like to try in this one.
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love her recipes. Looking forward to trying them!
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: excellent
Great recipes, easy to make, on my list to purchase.
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have a hard time using cookbooks that don't have a lot of images to go with the recipes. I want to know what the food is supposed to look like.
Deborah DiPasquale
Nov 16, 2015
Jan 11, 2015
Alex Wren
Nov 09, 2016
Mimi Clayton
Apr 18, 2017
rated it did not like it
Nov 22, 2013
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck
An experienced chef and consultant, Robin Robertson worked for many years in restaurants and catering in northeastern Pennsylvania and Charleston, South Carolina before she began writing cookbooks. In 1988, she left the restaurant business and became vegan for ethical reasons. She then rededicated her life to writing and teaching gourmet vegan cooking.

Over the years, she has fine-tuned her plant-b
More about Robin G. Robertson...

Nonfiction Deals