Start by marking “Remote: Office Not Required” as Want to Read:
Remote: Office Not Required

Remote: Office Not Required

The “work from home” phenomenon is thoroughly explored in this illuminating new book from bestselling 37signals founders Fried and Hansson, who point to the surging trend of employees working from home (and anywhere else) and explain the challenges and unexpected benefits.  Most important, they show why – with a few controversial exceptions such as Yahoo -- more businesses ...more
Audio, 4 pages
Published October 29th 2013 by Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about Remote, please sign up.

Start your review of Remote: Office Not Required
John
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I've decided that the Freid/DHH writing pair are the Michael Moore of business literature.

If you need to learn something practical about what is a pretty complex topic, this book is useless. If you need something to fight off the "conservatives" in the business world, this is your goto.

I've two main gripes with the book.

The first is about the pacing and chapter lengths. Reading this you feel like you're being shown a second hand car in dodgy yard. You end up revisiting the nice things over and o
Rod Hilton
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, programming
This book was a little disappointing, not because it's bad but because it wasn't quite what I was looking for. The book advertises itself as a collection of solutions to problems people encounter when embracing remote work, but more than anything else the problem it solves is "how do I convince management to embrace remote work?"

Most of the book is structured as a work of persuasion, something that's intended to convince people to go remote. A lot of it seems geared toward executives and manager
John
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very tricky book to review.

Let me note first that I work remotely as a technology leader at a Boston-based medical startup . . . but I'm based in the Twin Cities. I know remote work very well. I use every tool in this book. I've been remote since the beginning, and my managers and colleagues understand the dynamic, but it's still hard, and not something that is fully embraced in our work.

I'm going to have to divide the readership up into categories:

(1) If you work remotely and have com
Mouly
Nov 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I like 37 signals as a company. They are one of the successful virtual companies. So I had a lot of expectations when I bought the book the day it was launched. But the book was a big letdown.

* The book reads like a collection of blog posts. I felt chapters ended abruptly and switched directions unexpectedly.

* An early chapter says that remote workers can set their own working hours and all the benefits that come with it. A later chapter, about team collaboration, recommends a four hour overlap
Vitor Capela
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a remote worker myself, I nodded my head frequently at the advantages and challenges presented, so the rating's not about a fundamental disagreement with the message or the intentions. Like the authors, I know from personal experience that commuting, facing a strict set of working hours, interruptions and living with the expectation of availability from others are some of the greatest dangers to work (and creative work especially).

I did, however, expect more than short chapters and sparse dat
Giuseppe D
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This had some good insights on why remote working can be good and how to be a good remote worker. Nothing beyond common sense really but it’s nice to see it condensed in a brief and informative book.
icarranna
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, business
I read this book in one sitting. I liked it, but I could not quite figure out the audience. As someone who has worked as a remote employee for over 7 years, a lot of the information was preaching to the choir - I get remote work, because I live it. If the book was written for managers who are looking to make a change, then I don't this book is strong or practical enough (a better book would be Why Managing Sucks). If this book is written for non-managing employees, then they more than likely don ...more
Nikolay
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thin, short-paragraphed, biased, opinionated, beautifully written and illustrated remote work manifesto and a sales pitch. Every copyrighter should be jealous.

“Remote” shares the advantages and the problems of the advertisement as a literary form.

If you don't have much experience with remote working or you let your mind wander for a bit, the book is extremely
convincing. DHH/Fried know how to write well.

If you look deeper, you may notice that they offer faux acknowledgements for all the drawbacks
Derek
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2017
Jul 31, 2016

Rework was an amazing book that put into words how I feel about work.

Remote was different. While I agree that remote work can be effective, I disagreed with several of the sections.

First off, I work for Accenture, one of the companies interviewed and quoted in the book. The description of Accenture in the book in no way matches what happens in real life. Do 80% of the people not work in the Accenture offices? Yes. Because they are required to be on-site, butt in seat, logging face ti
Willian Molinari
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
The interesting part of reading this book is that I'm currently living most part of it in the past 2 years. :)
The book itself is a little bit outdated as it was written in 2013 and we had a very different scenario then. They mention it in the first chapter, BTW.

I found it to be a little repetitive as well, they are not very pragmatic about the content and decided to mention things over and over again so you can open the book in any particular chapter and use it as reference (at least that's what
Natalie
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved learning about how this company made it work. Lots of overlap to experiences I have had / am having here at work. The no "jerks" allowed rule really resonates with me.
Catarina Clemente
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book. A compreenhensive review of the pros and cons of remote work, addressing some of the miths about working out of traditional offices. The only thing I would point out is that it needs to be understood in a skilled work environment. While I believe that most people deserve the benefit of the doubt, I think the authors are sometimes a bit naive in their assessment of people's commitment ti their work. All in all a great read and a must for managers. A lot of us are already working remot ...more
Elsie
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I need to share this to leadership at work.
Remote work has been proven to work.
Fib
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a remote worker, I felt very connected with the stories in this book. TBH, I was already familar with most of the recommendations, because I have been working remotely for a year, but that's actually a good thing, because it means that we're all on the same channel and there's a common path to success for remote workers.
I really liked it. I would have given 5 stars if I had learned many new tricks or recommendations that I didn't know before.
André Gomes
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very objective book, direct to the point!

They are very experienced in remote work so the could discuss the problems of working at an office (transportation, interruptions, commuting, etc.) and present the benefits of remote working as well as what you should be careful when trying to change to remote working.

Lot's of good advice.
Sergey Shishkin
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
A very good book with practical tips and a clear message: Value work produced over time spent.

Unfortunately it only focuses on hiring ready made experts and ignores the process of talent growth. To me pairing and working with others side by side is the most effecient way to both learn and teach. Remote doesn't mention any substitute to that.
Karen Gale booze
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about it. The book encompasses, so much truth about the upside and downsides to working from home. I believe is shows the best possibilities of the remote style of work. I suggested it to a minimum of 10 people I know who have been thinking about starting a remote platform at their company.
Martin
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-audible
Well. Its 2020. This book was published 2013? So todays remote is not the same as it is described in the book. It had its moments, but I rather recommend The Art of Working Remotely or The Long-Distance Leader instead. Mote untimely stuff (and more to my liking - towards leadership).
Claudiu Constantin
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: remote-work
A book that can change your life
Erkan Erol
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me realize that we are losing a lot while trying to work in the same office.

--- MY CLIPPINGS---
A world where we leave behind the dusty old notion of outsourcing as a way to increase work output at the lowest cost and replace it with a new ideal—one in which remote work increases both quality of work and job satisfaction.
---
The city is the original talent hub. Traditionally, those who ran the engines of capitalism thought: “Let’s gather a large number of people in a small geographi
Guilherme Labrego
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I've enjoyed listening to this book, but I feel that the way the subject is presented by the author is a little bit incisive, this was already expected from something that comes from DHH, so nothing new here.

I've liked the format of little chapters and no defined order of the subjects, but I think that this turned the tips repetitive too.

I like the way DHH covers all the things about remote work, talking from how this change your business, culture, and mindset about work, to things like how to s
Ameya Joshi
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a good book if your expectations are set right.

I'm giving it an extra star because this is exactly the perfect length all books in the categories of management, self-help & co. need to follow. Short blog post like chapters where you make your point and move on and less than 100 pages in-toto always. (I have an hypothesis that every management book could be an HBR article, but publishers pay more than HBR so they get milked into a book. But that's another story...)

I breezed through it in
Zachary Lysobey
I've had this book lying around for a couple years. I'm about to start a new position which allows remote work, and figured it was time to read this.

I liked that it was a short book, and the writing was clear. I was able to finish this book in just a few short sessions. However, I don't think I really got anything out of reading this. It was mostly directed towards convincing business owners that they should explore allowing employees to work remotely, and most of the content seemed long-winded
Magno de Santana
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reading! Waiting for the next book: The Calm Company.
Aurora
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for remote work, but it should really be updated as it’s from 2013 and many of the references are old. Especially now during COVID it would be very beneficial with a version 2. I would buy and read that if published.
Naing Lin
It's released in 2013 and many things are change, also the remote culture itself is. Some of the do and don't will be really useful if someone start picking as remote employee or skim the overviews of culture as a whole. But compared to rework, It's lighter, less of as a manifesto not to mention some points are overlapped.
Elena Vladimirova
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are many a-ha! moments in this book and it seems the current times have made it even more relevant. Recommend it to everyone, especially managers.
Bernardo
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This rating reflects more of my expectations from this book than the content itself. If you are not sure remote work would be viable for you or your company this book does a good job presenting information that might help you make a decision. If you already know that remote work is a good fit for you then this book won't provide you with too many extra insights or actionable advice.
Jay
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, audiobook
I helped write a remote working policy for a very large company twenty years ago. This repeats some of the same issues we addressed in our policy. But Remote felt like it was written for small companies that worked on computer programs. A large percentage of the examples were from such small companies. (One example - I didn't notice office politics being described, and that can have a large impact on careers, and remote workers need to understand how to deal with this in new ways. Another exampl ...more
Agisilaos Tsaraboulidis
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REMOTE was such a fantastic read. It explains really well the benefits of remote work and also addresses with real paradigms the concerns that people have about this type of work. As the author says remote work is the future and can help people be more productive and have other benefits as well all explained through paradigms.

I was a huge fan of remote work but after reading this book I’m a bigger fan of it and also learned a couple of tricks to adopt in my daily life working like that.
office Space 1 5 Nov 17, 2017 05:54AM
why office ambience is must 1 6 Sep 21, 2017 08:04AM
Goodreads Developers: only first author of book being returned 1 19 Jan 31, 2017 03:25AM
FULL Creative Lib...: Remote 2 14 Mar 05, 2014 03:59PM

• It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Rework
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
  • The Ultimate Guide to Remote Work: How to Grow, Manage and Work with Remote Teams (Zapier App Guides Book 3)
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Hell Yeah or No: what's worth doing
  • The Long-Distance Leader: Rules for Remarkable Remote Leadership
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Influencing Virtual Teams: 17 Tactics That Get Things Done with Your Remote Employees
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Free: The Future of a Radical Price
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • The Workshopper Playbook
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Measure What Matters

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
David Heinemeier Hansson is a Danish programmer and the creator of the popular Ruby on Rails web development framework. He is also a partner at the web-based software development firm 37signals based in Chicago, Illinois.

News & Interviews

“When someone wants to demonstrate a new feature they’re working on at 37signals, often the easiest way is to record a screencast and narrate the experience. A screencast is basically just a recording of your screen that others can play back later as a movie. It can be used in several ways, including for presenting the latest sales figures or elaborating on a new marketing strategy.” 4 likes
“Even short commutes stab at your happiness. According to the research,* commuting is associated with an increased risk of obesity, insomnia, stress, neck and back pain, high blood pressure, and other stress-related ills such as heart attacks and depression, and even divorce. But let’s say we ignore the overwhelming evidence that commuting doesn’t do a body good. Pretend it isn’t bad for the environment either. Let” 4 likes