Start by marking “Sneaky Pie for President” as Want to Read:
Sneaky Pie for President

Sneaky Pie for President

(Mrs. Murphy #21)

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  686 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Ask not what your cat can do for youask what you can do for your cat.

Tired of politics as usual? Despair not: Rita Mae Browns intrepid feline co-author, Sneaky Pie, is taking time off from her busy schedule writing bestselling mysteries to run for President of the United States. Its never too late to start! With help from her friendsthe irascible gray cat Pewter, the wise
Published July 30th 2013 by Bantam (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sneaky Pie for President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sneaky Pie for President

liked it Average rating 3.00  ·

Start your review of Sneaky Pie for President
Paul
Dec 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
It is a rare thing where an author of fiction is given free reign with a book, but Rita Mae Brown isn't a typical author. She's both critically acclaimed, primarily for her novel Rubyfruit Jungle, and commercially successful with her Mrs. Murphy mysteries. The combination of her critical and commercial success allowed her to write this book, a spleen-venting screed on the current political climate, using many characters from her mystery novels.

I typically read Brown's mystery novels as an escape
Denise Eggleston
This was Rita Mae Brown's (or should I say Sneaky Pie Brown's) political manifesto. The two Browns have a complicated political philosophy and cannot be pigeonholed neatly. It's like a recipe:

Add one part Tea Party (income tax is unconstitutional)
Add one part Liberal (the other party is anti-sex/gay)
Add one part Libertarian (government needs to get out of the way)
Add one part Green (man is ruining nature)

Stir and one will have a nuanced political philosophy gained by years of experience.

It is
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 2012, and Sneaky Pie Brown is running for President! With the able assistance of Tee Tucker and Pewter (whom we know from the Mrs. Murphy books) and the not-so-able assistance of Tally, the hyperactive, hey-go-mad Jack Russell Terrier, Sneaky Pie hits the campaign trail, seeking support from animals of all species.

While I don't agree with ALL of the political views in this book, many make very good sense, and all are most engagingly presented. And I did agree with enough of them to
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This novel was very much what I anticipated as I pre-ordered it. A beautifully expressed neutral opinion about the current political scene as we enter the final months of this 2012 election year.

I knew Sneaky Pie Brown (co-author) of the wonderful Mrs. Murphy murder mystery series, would give us her particular viewpoint of the issues that truly do concern the human population and animal world. This book covers the economy not only from emotional state but with hard, cold, and well researched
Sherry
when I picked this book up at the library it was billed as a mystery. I enjoy the Sneaky Pie mysteries as an escape, especially if I've just read a really complicated plot type of book, but this one is definitely on my list of "step away from the book". After reading come of the other comments on Goodreads, I think the best description is a diatribe of facts and figures that will not stand the test of time. I understand that this was probably intended to comment on the political system in the US ...more
Debra Scott
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldnt get past page 25. ...more
Jack
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, political critics, joe citizen
This is not a Mrs. Murphy mystery, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was happy to find out that it was just as, if not more, enjoyable.

The narrator is not the character we know from the Mrs. Murphy novels, instead, it is the co-author, Sneaky Pie herself. Rita Mae Brown, referred to as "C.O." or "Can Opener" also makes an appearance, although she is not a big part in the story.

I say this is not a Mrs. Murphy mystery. It is not actually a mystery at all. I guess I would classify it as simply a
Holly McIntyre
What an odd little book! I like the Sneaky Pie mysteries and I (mostly) agree with Brown's politics, but I just couldn't figure out the point of this book. Mixing the fictional characters with real ones just confused me. If it were shorter, I would call this a fable with a decidedly political moral. At this length, I just found the diatribe boring -- nothing new, nothing especially witty, just the all-too-obvious conclusion that given the choices offered by our current political system, even a ...more
Karen Hauck
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. It isn't Sneaky Pie's usual mystery! But she becomes a Cat with a Cause! I did find it even more improbable that's the usual mysteries, but it fascinated me. The remote possibility of making changes in our elected official's Impact on our country almost seems possible!!
Joan Mueller
Oct 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the books in this series. This book was a disappointment. I couldn't get past the first 10 pages. The conversations between the characters were trite and boring. I had looked forward to a good murder mystery and it turned into a strung together series of conversations between the characters on disjointed topics.
Dorothy
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita Mae Brown published this in 2012 before the U.S. presidential election. A thought-provoking fun read. Every candidate needs to have an animal-friendly as well as people-friendly agenda. Sneaky Pie is a candidate who listens, and learns.
Beverly Weyer
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book about a cat who decides to run for president of the US.
Carol
Aug 28, 2012 marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats
Not a Mrs. Murphy mystery, too political for my tastes, and I stopped reading after a couple chapters.
Tammy Bennett
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a little different read, but I like Rita Mae!! I'm ready for another cat mystery!!
Joyce
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful spin on animal farm. Covers a lot of issues and problems with have today with funny antics of my favorite animals. It was an enjoyable book.
Don O'goodreader
Mar 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waste-of-time
This plot-less book reads like animals voicing Google searches. A mish-mash of random facts and smug opinions. I am a Rita Mae Brown fan, but recommend waiting for the next mystery.
Carmen
Feb 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After enjoying so many visits with Harry's pets and their "friends" I was sorely disappointed with this preachy tome.
Jakenv
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one definitely has a message. Animal lovers will agree with most proposals.
Sue
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun! A great way to take your mind off people politics. I'm just about convinced to vote for Sneaky Pie! Find out what animals really think of us!
Barb Foerst
Dec 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
very disappointed - one of the very few books that I start and not finish. This is not a mystery but the authors political views.
I'm sure its a good book but I thought it was part of her series and is isnt. Just couldnt get into it.
Kimee
When I read the description of this book on one of those "librarians recommend" bookmarks at the library about "books starring our animal friends," I _had_ to read it. A cat running for president? A chance to contemplate cats' inner psyches the weekend before I catsit? "Not just another bureau-cat" campaign buttons on the cover? Count. me. in.

And, to be fair, scenes throughout did in satisfy the skritches for a fluffy read I'd been craving:
- Dogs full of personality, in particular a "wise"
April
Aug 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up knowing that it wasnt a mystery but instead was a more political novel about why Sneaky Pie would do better as a president than a human would.

I read the first half and skimmed the last 50%. It was longer than it needed to be, and was clunky, listing facts and figures for pages. What really got to me was when a rockfish was lecturing Sneaky Pie on the concerns of river pollution and global warming. For several paragraphs.

This shouldnt be billed as fiction, but should instead be
Claudia
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out with a few laugh out loud moments, but the rest of it was a platform for the author's politican agenda told from the POV of domestic animals and wildlife. Not that I disagree with the opinion expressed, but it was so thinly disguised as to be ridiculous. The novel was also full of statistics and dollar amounts related to topics such as what humans spend on equestian sports, pets, and fishing. This could have continued to be an amusing novel, but it fell flat after a few ...more
Mary
Mar 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I was thinking I needed a little light reading, but this story was just silly. This is not the usual cozy mystery, it is the story of Sneaky Pie, a cat who wants to run for President...of the United States. Rita Mae Brown uses this platform to expound on environmental and political issues. The most interesting quote is state government has to solve problems. Federal government just prints more money. I finished this book the same afternoon congress passed the $2T Covid-19 Relief bill. All in ...more
Lynne
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like all the lecturing about how much money this or that costs and how it's humans fault that this or that is ruined. The best parts was the animals talking to each other. Also only Pewter and Tucker were in this book. Not the best book of the series.
Melissa
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, dogs
Cute stand-alone non-mystery in the Mrs. Murphy series. Sneaky Pie is Mrs. Murphy although not named as such. Harry, Fair, and every other character from the other books are not present and the mom of Sneaky Pie, Pewter, and Tucker is not named. Recommended reading.
Picky Virgo
I'm sure our favorite literary tiger cat is in there somewhere, since the book is subtitled "A Mrs. Murphy Mystery", but I didn't get far enough to encounter her. Although I agree with Ms. Brown's views I didn't find this book either readable or entertaining. I returned it.
Annie Shaw
Preachy
Misslea007
Too long and slow. Not what I was expecting. Satirical and insightful, but not much plot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks, #10)
  • The Queen's Accomplice (Maggie Hope Mystery #6)
  • Taking the Veil
  • Murder, She Knit (A Knit & Nibble Mystery #1)
  • The Body in the Wake: A Faith Fairchild Mystery
  • The Little Red Barn: An Olympic Romance
  • redemption : Memory man
  • The Whole Cat and Caboodle (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • EveryDayCook
  • The Side Dish Bible: 1001 Perfect Recipes for Every Vegetable, Rice, Grain, and Bean Dish You Will Ever Need
  • Good Eats: The Early Years
  • The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook: Every Recipe, Every Ingredient Testing, and Every Equipment Rating from the Hit TV Show
  • Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Cooks, and Good Food
  • Murder in the Manuscript Room (42nd Street Library Mystery #2)
  • The Meg Langslow Series Thus Far
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)

News & Interviews