Start by marking “Mitchell Goes Bowling” as Want to Read:
Mitchell Goes Bowling

Mitchell Goes Bowling (Mitchell)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  278 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Battle on! Head to the lanes for another hilarious, high-energy story as four-year-old Mitchell and his obliging dad strike a winning deal.

Mitchell liked to knock things down.
That’s just how he rolled.

One Saturday, when Mitchell almost knocks down his dad, his dad catches him and puts him in the car. And when they step into the bowling alley, Mitchell feels right at home.
Published September 10th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Mitchell Goes Bowling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitchell Goes Bowling

Barb Middleton
Feb 19, 2014 Barb Middleton rated it it was amazing
A great book for kids who are trying to learn something new and are frustrated. Four-year-old Mitchell goes bowling for the first time and is having a fun time but he really wants to knock down all the pins like his dad. He gets so frustrated he can't that he wants to leave. His dad suggests that they be on the same team and they toss the ball together.

Tony Fucile is one of my favorite illustrators. He makes me laugh so hard. One of my favorite pages is Mitchell blow drying his hands, then his
Richie Partington
Sep 28, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: MITCHELL GOES BOWLING by Hallie Durand and Tony Fucile, ill., Candlewick, September 2013, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-6049-9

"Just keep your eye on the ball, Barney boy."
-- Fred Flintstone, on his way to converting a 7-10 split

"More than 20,000 people are treated in emergency rooms each year from injuries suffered at bowling alleys, according to the U.S. Product Safety Commission.
"Injuries range from frequent bowlers suffering tissue damage to kids getting smashed by the heavy ball.
"H
Samantha
This book is awesome!!!!!!!!! Mitchell loves to knock things down so his dad introduces him to the sport of bowling. There's tons of details about the experience including the happy dances bowlers do when they score a strike.

I can't say enough good about this book! There's a great storyline featuring father and son, there's the way the father took a destructive behavior (Mitchell's affinity for knocking things over) and turned it into a constructive activity (bowling), there's the hilarious hot
Abriana Chamberlain
Dec 02, 2014 Abriana Chamberlain rated it liked it
Mitchell Goes Bowling is about a boy who's father decides to take him bowling on Saturday afternoon. As soon as they walk in Mitchell is so excited to start playing, him and his dad both get their shoes and find their lane. They type in their names and Mitchell goes first, he gets a gutter ball and isn't too happy about it. His dad then goes and STRIKE! Mitchell tries to go again and does a little kick just like his dad, well that doesn't end up very well. He slips and gets another gutter ball. ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
In Mitchell Goes Bowling we are introduced to a little boy named Mitchell who loves to knock things down all around the house. His father decides to take Mitchell to the bowling alley where Mitchell immediately feels a connection. Mitchell is not as good against his father, but things change when they decide to team up instead! A great book to illustrate that there are more constructive, and fun, ways to let off a little energy and that instead of giving up when you think you will never succeed, ...more
Slytano
Nov 01, 2013 Slytano rated it really liked it
I don’t care for series, but this is really good. Father and son get some quality bonding time together through bowling.
Apr 10, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
My two boys absolutely love it when my husband takes the kiddos to the bowling alley for an afternoon. It’s the perfect dad activity. And it’s no different for the character Mitchell, who wants to win the game but finds that by working with his dad (rather than competing against him) he can have even more fun.

Mitchell Goes Bowling shows the frustrations of not being the best at something as well as the silly fun kids often have with their dads. After all, who else would teach you how to do a ste
RC
Mitchell loves to knock things down. He even tries to knock his dad down. After that, his dad puts him in the car and takes him to a place where Mitchell feels right at home...the bowling alley. Mitchell quickly learns what a gutter is, that the lanes are slippery and just how hard it is to get an "X" like his dad. He wants to do the steamin' hot potato dance too when he knocks all the pins down. Will he get to do the dance? Read Mitchell Goes Bowling and find out.

Mitchell Goes Bowling promotes
Heidi
Another Mitchell book! And it is wonderful. I adore the illustrations--Fucile is definitely a favorite for me. And this story was just as fun as the previous Mitchell one--with a portrayal of a fabulous dad and clever way to entertain a child as well as teamwork.

6/11/14: I had a good though somewhat quieter crowd. They sat still and they listened. They answered my questions. And they seemed to like the story. They just didn't laugh very loudly.

9/29/14-10/2/14: I had this as an option during the
Cindy Mitchell
Durand, Hallie Mitchell Goes Bowling, illustrated by Tony Fucile. PICTURE BOOK. Candlewick, 2013. $16. Content: G.

Mitchell loves the sights and sounds of bowling, but he is not as good as his dad. Maybe with a little help he can have a lot more fun. Mitchell is adorable and his dad’s antics are highly amusing. Fun to read aloud, but you’d better be prepared to go bowling afterwards!

Pre-K, EL (K-3) – ADVISABLE. Cindy, Library Teacher
Maggie Burgess
Jul 24, 2015 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story! First, that it starts with a dad who notices behavior in his son, that he enjoys crashing, and instead of a focus on discipline, the book has his dad take him to a bowling alley! Cue the cute story! So so great. We see perseverance, and when it seemed like he might give up, we see teamwork. Kids can learn from this one, and can also just enjoy it! Fun story with fun illustrations.
Liz Todd
Jul 02, 2014 Liz Todd rated it really liked it
Adorable! It reminds me of bowling when we were kids--with no bumpers! Mitchell gets to go bowling with dad.. but it's harder than it looks! Love the little touches in the story--the dance moves, and the sweet idea that dad has at the end to combine forces for a "team" score so that everyone wins. A great dad-story!

Would be a great social skills discussion about frustration when learning something new!
Whitney Rachel
Jul 22, 2014 Whitney Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
These Mitchell books are fantastic! I'm really enjoying that they focus on the father-son relationship.

Fucile's illustrating style reminds of the more recent Disney animations. Speaking of, I would watch a movie about Mitchell and Dad's shenanigans. Who do I need to speak to about making that happen?!?!

(I am also oddly attracted to Mitchell's dad. Not ashamed.)

Ann
Oct 11, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
Mitchell loves to knock things down--whether it be wood blocks, a bowl of cereal or a stack of important papers. He's been a speed demon in the past but now he's a wrecking ball. What's a parent to do? Fortunately, his father has the right idea when he takes Mitchell to the bowling alley where his knack for knocking things down is just what's needed to win the game. Strike after strike, his father knocks down the pins, while Mitchell gets gutterballs. He throws, yells and even prays but his hand ...more
Jen
Jan 23, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
I have been sharing this book with my elementary students this week and they have LOVED it! When I read it, I got to thinking that maybe our PE Department would have a bowling set we could use to have the kids try their hand at bowling themselves. They did and we've been having a blast! The kids can definitely relate to Mitchell's feelings of success and disappointment with every ball that he throws. Great story!
Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
A few weeks ago, I was in a slump of just okay books. I thought it was me. Now this week I have had several books that I have rated high. Either the books have truly been great or truly dreadful or I just shouldn't judge books anymore.

I wanted to hate this book just so I could give a book 1 stars (It has been awhile) I wanted to rant and rave on how horrible this book was and how obnoxious the premise was...

However, it isn't the books fault that is was great! I loved the dad and son element, I
Barbara
Aug 31, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Readers first met the rambunctious speed demon Mitchell in Mitchell's License in which he "drove" his father to exhaustion. In this equally delightful book, Mitchell heads to the bowling alley with his father. He immediately loves its noises, sights, and smells, and he is able to put all his energy into throwing the bowling ball. But learning to bowl isn't easy, and despite his competitive nature, Mitchell just can't bowl a strike like his father. Readers and parents of young children will nod t ...more
Stella Fowler
Mar 18, 2014 Stella Fowler rated it really liked it
Mitchell's dad really gets him.

In the first book - Mitchell's dad was Mitchell's car to bedtime. Now, he's helping Mitchell get out all of his need to knock things down.

Because Mitchell's dad really gets him, I really like this book.
Alyn
Jul 07, 2014 Alyn rated it really liked it
This book reminded me so much of my son. He loves bowling and is all about winning and getting strikes. I have to say though, Mitchell is a much better bowler than me. He actually hits pins with bumpers down!
Jonathan
Oct 29, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
This really is what parenting is like. Very funny text by Durand. Hilarious art by Fucile. My favorite joke, about how Mitchell types his name, had me laughing out loud (literally).
Heidi
Oct 14, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
A cute book about a boy who likes to knock things down and his wise father who takes him to a bowling alley to avoid further destruction at the house. Mitchell is an adorable 4-year-old who takes to bowling like a whirlwind throwing gutter balls and sliding down the aisle in his efforts to get that magical X. Just when he is ready to give up his father saves the day and restores Mitchell's spunkyness. A fun read that made me laugh at the delightful illustrations which clearly demonstrate Mitchel ...more
Shawna
Aug 31, 2013 Shawna rated it really liked it
Mitchell is a rambunctious four-year old who loves to knock things down. When he almost a knocks his dad down, dad comes up with a plan. He picks Mitchell up and takes him to the bowling alley. Although Mitchell did not know where they were, he liked the place! It had colorful balls, smelled like pizza AND there were crashing noises! But, when he is not successful at knocking pins down, he is ready to give up. He wants to be like his dad who "got an X" and then another and then another. How will ...more
June
Jun 18, 2015 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parent's of energetic boys
Shelves: picture-book, fathers
I love Mitchell! "Mitchell ALWAYS knocked things down. That's just how he rolled." So his Dad takes him bowling.

I'll see about reading this for my Father's Day programs.

Read for a first grade class, they were wide eyed, but the teacher was laughing. 5/6/14

Used in story time, but Mitchell's License, might be more on the younger level and this might be better for K-2 or for children more likely to have some bowling experience. 6/10/14

Went over really well at my PreK outreach. About a third of the
The Library Lady
Oct 09, 2013 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
First of all, it's nice to have a book about going bowling for kids--don't think there are any other bowling stories!

This is perfectly pitched--and by that I am speaking of sounds/mood, not throwing a baseball! As in Mitchell's License, Durand's understanding of the emotions and feelings of a young child are spot on.
And best of all, Mitchell's dad gets things too--how to channel Mitchell's energies and how to handle his frustrations. Ms Durand is on a roll (sorry) with these characters and I hop
JoyAnn
Jul 18, 2015 JoyAnn rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations. I really liked their hot potato dances. I think it can help kids see how frustrating, confusing, yet fun new things can be.
The Brothers
Feb 09, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: bowling, fathers, sons
Mitchell is a four year old kid who likes to knock things down. Being of a resourceful type, his father takes him bowling where he can knock down things to his heart's content. Unfortunately, Mitchell's penchant for knocking things down doesn't translate into skill at bowling. Only when he finally joins forces with his father do things start turning around.

Neat illustrations.
Lynn
Oct 18, 2013 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-nf
Having grown up in a bowling alley where my Dad was the proprietor, this book brought back soooo many memories. The images and words made me remember the sounds and smells that accompany the environment of the lanes. Mitchell's dad was quite clever, patient, and understanding, and Mitchell learned a very important lesson. Bravo to the author!
The illustrator gets kudos as well for capturing the scenes and expressions.
Most people are not familiar with candlepin bowling (that's the 'little' balls)
stillme
Feb 12, 2014 stillme rated it really liked it
A great father-son story with humor and heart. Illustrations are animated and bring a well-told story to life.
ALA ALSC Notable 2014
Dana
Mar 03, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Like the first Mitchell book, this story incorporates Mitchell's relationship with his dad. An amusing story and likeable duo.
Brandy Shark
Feb 05, 2014 Brandy Shark rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
A really cute and fun story with absolutely wonderful illustrations. I also love the fact that Mitchell and his dad have wild, curly hair.
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Moonday
  • The Boy and the Airplane

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Hallie Durand (the pen name for Holly M. McGhee) began writing in 2007 and has published the Dessert First chapter book trilogy, two picture books about a boy named Mitchell (Mitchell's License & Mitchell Goes Bowling), and another picture book about her son Marshall (Catch That Cookie!).

More about Hallie Durand...

Mitchell (2 books)