Start by marking “The Most of Nora Ephron” as Want to Read:
The Most of Nora Ephron

The Most of Nora Ephron

A whopping big celebration of the work of the late, great Nora Ephron, America’s funniest—and most acute—writer, famous for her brilliant takes on life as we’ve been living it these last forty years.

Everything you could possibly want from Nora Ephron is here—from her writings on journalism, feminism, and being a woman (the notorious piece on being flat-chested, the clario
Published October 29th 2013 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published January 1st 2013)

Elyse Walters
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to give this book 5+++++ STARS 'now'....

but.....Its a book I'm *still* reading. I haven't finished 'everything' in it yet.

I'm enjoying it soooooooo much.

I'm having fun reading it not only to myself ----but sharing it with my husband (in bed).

Yes---its one of THOSE type of books. We snuggle up together --and 'pick' a short story to read to each other.

I'm only sorry I had NOT read Nora Ephron's work until now. I KNEW of her work of course. (saw all her movies --about 3 and 4 times each)..
Michael Livingston
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
My advice: just read Heartburn. It's a smart, pithy and hilarious portrait of a marriage breaking down, loaded up with Ephron's trademark wit and some stylishly sharp writing. The script and reflection on When Harry Met Sally is also worthwhile, but the rest of this is pretty inessential - mean-spirited profiled of minor US celebrities of the 1970s, reproduced blog posts from the mid 2000s and a whole bunch of writing on modern-day etiquette (purses, dinner parties etc etc). The writing is alway ...more
Kaethe
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Most of Nora Ephron - Nora Ephron I love Ephron’s writing, so reading this is a pure delight. But after having reread Crazy Salad, I’m really sorry that there weren’t more feminism pieces in it. Those pieces are often now unspeakably dated, but we have to remember the past, and remember that equal rights aren’t something anyone is ever given, that we have to fight and keep fighting.

Yet another buddy read with a child. I'm doing much more of that than I realized

library copy
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading The Most of Nora Ephron was like visiting with an old friend. It was fun to time travel as in each section the articles are in chronological order. It was fun to relive the 70's & 80's with the gift if knowing how history played out. Her early works about her early career in journalism, the days when "girls" were not writers but in the mailroom or clippers or fact checkers, was enlightening and fascinating.

I have now, finally, read Heartburn and thumbed through the When Harry Met Sa
Roz Warren
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The World According to Nora Ephron

Thank God for Nora Ephron. Before she came along, the primary role model for a smart, wise-cracking female writer was Dorothy Parker, known both her sharp wit and her unenviable life. (After too much drinking and too many bad relationships; she died a famous but unhappy woman.)

Nora, thankfully, provided the witty woman writer with a much better template. You can be female and funny, and you can soar, both personally and professionally. Not without challenges,
Jacqie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nora Ephron was a funny woman. She could write and had a knack for getting to the small intimate details of life that make you say, "I totally know what you mean!" as you laugh.

There's a lot of different material in this volume. Journalistic writing, her novel Heartburn in its entirety, the script for "When Harry met Sally", various and sundry essays.

Some if it wasn't so much for me. Many of the journal articles were written in the 70's about famous folks who aren't so famous anymore.

I've read
Brenda
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to admit a few things before I give my opinion of this book. First of all, I never really knew anything about Nora Ephron, including the fact that I never saw her movie or read her book. Also, I received this book free by winning a First Reads contest. Now that it is all out in the open, I absolutely loved everything about this book. This was one incredible woman.It is almost as if everything that she touched in her career turned to gold. Of course, you can't say the same about her privat ...more
Barbara
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After finishing The Most of Nora Ephron, I have to say that it is one of the best books I’ve ever read. Nora Ephron was a great writer. She was positive, funny and wise. Robert Gottlieb did a great job putting the selection together posthumously, although it was started with Ephron prior to her passing. The selections, all previously published, included newspaper columns, blog posts, a novel, play and screenplay. She was a feminist, a foodie and, in the end, an aging woman. I’ve tabbed her recip ...more
Sarabeth
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a book you can pick up and skip around in and come back to for more. A compilation of all the best of Nora Ephron it is either a treat for her fans (I am a huge fan of hers) or the perfect introduction to anyone who may have missed out on her writing.

Reading lines from When Harry Met Sally made me want to rent the movie again right away and it was interesting to read from Lucky Guy, the play that was produced after she died. (I did not get to see it. Tom Hanks was the star.) The essays
Liz
Let's be real: I was in this for the essays she wrote later in life, and they were the part I enjoyed the most. However! Heartburn--her novel, a BARELY-fictionalized version of her divorce from Carl Bernstein--was also excellent, and now I intend to hunt down the Meryl Streep/Jack Nicholson movie. And Lucky Guy, her play about an ambitious New York journalist, was pretty good, too. And her 1970s essays on feminism were fascinating in a time-capsule kind of way. All this to say: I could probably ...more
Anne
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading a book that results in laughing out loud is a rare event for me. Ephron has the chops to have me do just that. Highlights of this compilation include the screenplay for "When Harry Met Sally" and various writings from her early days in the 1970s including an ode to journalism that we scribes can relate to and an hilarious parody of the Palm Beach Social Pictorial. A more recent piece from The New Yorker, "Lisbeth Salander: The Girl who Fixed the Umlaut," is a fine example of pithy and hu ...more
Amy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It took me over 18 months to finish this book as it has more than 500 pages. It is so well laid out that you can read for awhile and then take a break before returning. I returned to reading it these last two weeks and could barely put it down. I just finished it on this snowy morning and cried when I read those last pages. What an experience it would have been to have met her. Actually I want to go to attend one of her Christmas dinners. I'm happy to lend this book out if interested. And thanks ...more
Maya
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The worst has happened- I have run out of writing from Nora Ephron. This collection has been my cure-all for the last three years. Whenever I needed a good talking to, or just wanted to be told "it's all going to be just fine" this is where I went. Who else will be able to quiet my restless soul? Don't say Mindy Kaling or I will lose it.
Linda
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
memorable essays and stories, a book that is enjoyable to pick up and browse through time and again.
RK
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nora Ephron’s essay on working in the Kennedy White House is hilarious.

Roll your head back and laugh hilarious.

Her account of the one time JFK spoke to her (she couldn’t hear because of the helicopter he was about to get on) and her response to him (‘what?’) is so funny, I cannot stop giggling.

Almost 600 pages of book is rough, but this bit is really funny. A gem.

Ok, so this took about a year to read. A more concise version with more select pieces would have made this a better book.
Chelsey
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2017
I love her. Just love her! A bunch of these essays were rereads from her previously published work but it was a pleasure to spend time with her again. I’m shocked by how sharp and relevant even her older work still is and I’m so endeared to her honest observations about the messiness and wondrous bits of life. Lucky Guy wasn’t my favourite but I’m still glad to have read it. Nora will always be one of my favourite voices.
Lauren Harrigan
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
🖤NORA🖤 off to buy my own copy of this it’s that good
Erin Leafe
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Nora. Loved this book, which is most of everything she has written. You don't read this straight through as much as visit it when the need arises.
Kate Sweeney
I almost bought this for a friend’s birthday present - and I’m glad I didn’t. Not because the writing isn’t funny, intelligent and interesting (it is) but because this isn’t the best way to enjoy it. I’ve previously ready Heartburn, a small extract of which is included in this edition, and I’m glad this isn’t my first introduction to Ephron’s writing, because otherwise it may have been my last.
The edition feels lazy. Having not grown up in the ‘70s, nor in America, I felt lost during much of the
Kris Rude
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading Nora Ephron makes me feel like we must have been friends in another life. Don't know why - she's from the city, I'm from the plains. She disorganized, I'm Type A. She likes to cook, I like to eat. But maybe she makes everyone feel that way and that's her pull. This was a great way to read her work, because it covers so much time and such a variety of genres. I loved reading the screenplay for "When Harry Met Sally" and then her discussion of the writing process. Then reading her novel an ...more
Marisa
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism
What a fantastic collection! I have to thank Cindy and Diana for encouraging me to read the amazing Nora Ephron. I had read a few of her articles/collections before (including the amusing and still-relevant "Crazy Salad") but I appreciated being able to see the entire breadth of her work. The book is divided into sections from the different parts of her professional life. I began, of course, with "The Profiler: Some Women", then headed to "The Advocate" and then delving directly into the excerpt ...more
Ric
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have now been reading Nora Ephron for 30 years and if it weren't for her unfortunate passing a couple of years ago I'd be thrilled to read her for another 30 years. Journalist, essayist, novelist, screenwriter, playwright....all represented here in abundance. Smart and funny, decidedly a feminist back when it was a big deal to admit it, she never shied away from the truth of the issue even if it poked fun at her most of all. My only disappointment is that I wish it was twice the length of its ...more
Amy Morfas
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book...even if it took me 417 days to read it, LOL. I started out enjoying it, and then I got bored with it at some point and put it down. For a year. But I'm so glad I picked it up again! Great collection of stories that are all over the board. Also contains her novel Heartburn, which I'd already read, and the screenplay to When Harry Met Sally, which was a joy to read.

My advice is that if you do read it and there are parts you don't like, just skip over them, because the
Linda Slotzberg
Nora loves to cook, have visitors, is confused with what she really wants in life, such as relationships, and talks a lots of her jobs she had.

Some parts of the book is personal, some are of recipes, and some other parts are what she loves and what she hates, and also about the movie she made.

Was not too happy to read about her recipes, but her personal life was quite interesting!
Gabrielle
The highs the lows. Sometimes the columns or articles or pieces are be actual best. Eg about boobs or divorce or life in the 70s and 80s. But sometimes I'm just not interested. Partly because they are columns or articles. The piece on When Harry met Sally remained a highlight til the very end of the collection.
Wendy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Don't borrow this from the library. This is the kind of book to own and dip into randomly. Norah Ephron had a bright, sparkling wit, and this collection of her writing - journalism, play writing, screenplays and blog posts, deserves to be relished.
Cynthia Simpson
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I love Nora Ephron and the final third of this book is great, but the beginning really drags. I hadn't realized it was a compilation when I started it so parts I had already read before. I can't say enough about I Feel Bad About My Neck, though. That's a book I could read again and again.
Connie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it! However it was just a little to much content for me to read it all at once. Since it was a library book I chose the items that appealed to me and loved them. Nora Ephron was a funny funny woman.
Barbara
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nora Ephron is my hero. her words never fail to move me. she is brilliant, funny, wise. Need I say more? I think not.
Carla
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm on page 4 and already grinning. Man, Nora was the best.
  • Sister Mother Husband Dog: Etc.
  • Roth Unbound
  • The Essays of Leonard Michaels
  • Forty-One False Starts: Essays on Artists and Writers
  • Essays of the 1960s & 70s: Against Interpretation / Styles of Radical Will / On Photography / Illness as Metaphor / Uncollected Essays
  • A Talent To Annoy
  • The Selected Letters
  • I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays
  • The LeRoi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader
  • The Maternal Is Political: Women Writers at the Intersection of Motherhood and Social Change
  • Stalking Nabokov: Selected Essays
  • Lives of the Novelists: A History of Fiction in 294 Lives
  • The Letters of Noël Coward
  • Penelope Fitzgerald: A Life
  • Life Sentences: Literary Judgments and Accounts
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • Thurber's Dogs: A Collection of the Master's Dogs, Written and Drawn, Real and Imaginary, Legends All
  • The Measure of Her Powers: An M.F.K. Fisher Reader
Nora Ephron was an American journalist, film director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, and blogger.

She was best known for her romantic comedies and is a triple nominee for the Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay; for Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally... and Sleepless in Seattle. She sometimes wrote with her sister, Delia Ephron.
“I am led to the proposition that there is no fiction or nonfiction as we commonly understand the distinction; there is only narrative.” 1 likes
“Bellport. A podium.” 0 likes